• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No more motorcycles for me

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
Cant even explain how I feel....

Attachments

• IMG_4669.JPG
    IMG_4669.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 13
Damn, this board needs a "spolier" tag!

I my god that's ugly! I hope he's got some good pain meds. Was he wearing tennis shoes? I dont think that would happen with a leather boot.

Watched these two guys die yesterday:

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20140330/NEWS01/303300050

I was directly across the lake from them (300 yds or so) fishing when it happened. My bro-in-law stopped to help but said they were both pretty much DRT, the one guy who was breathing was gurgling and died within minutes. The Ducati rear ended the other guy at what was easily 100+, it wasn't a head on like the article says.

I rode on and of the track for 16 years with only four significant get-offs (all low sides) and give it up when I found out I was having a kid, haven't regretted it for a second...

Edit: the article says: "The men’s helmets also laid on the ground." <-- That's not from the impact, that's from my bro-in-law cutting the chin strap to get to access their heads.

Last edited:
You guys, this isn't me. Buddy sent it to me. IF it was me I don't think I'd be on a computer right now. More like crying in my mommy's arms.

How do you know it's from a bike crash and not an industrial accident?
I agree with the guy above that said it doesn't happen with a leather boot on.

My brother was killed on a bike 3 years ago. Helmet, full gear. High sided his bike. Life's too short. Miss him every day.

I’ve had three Harley's, ridden for 20+ years; thank goodness I’ve never gone down on one it’s become just too dangerous out there. Sold the last one about a year ago to help fund College for my son and at my age I would never heal from that.

After tearing one all to pieces and walking away (relatively) unscathed ...I looked at all my buddies who rode, and at least 50% of them had serious, life affecting, injuries. I came to the same conclusion...no more motorcycles to me.

Sold my sons KX60 to a guy from work last Thursday. I told him I would not sell it to him without him seeing it run first. He wanted it for his son and I was afraid he might think it was a trail bike. He watched me ride it (6'2" -190 lbs) and decided he wanted it. He took it home, unloaded it and was going to show his son how to ride. He broke his ankle and leg. His son never even had a chance to get on it.

Sold two of my sports bikes last year, just have the Triumph Daytona now. The weather was great in England this last weekend and there were loads out. I need to sell my last one and give it up but I'll probably end up having a couple more rides out. Being in mountain rescue I've lots of mates who are either emt's dr's paramedics etc. They like to joke about taking the tuff cuts to my leathers... Sobering thought.

chop it off.. with todays prosthetics it would not be that big of a deal may even be a faster recovery time and cheaper in the long run

I used to ride dirt bikes and way way too many friends with life altering injuries and death it took the fun out of it for me. Area I grew up the street bike guys would hit the mountain roads and when the weather was good life flight or the meat wagon was up there every couple days. Highway patrol got to the point if they caught you over 10mph over speed limit it was wreckless driving, trip to the metal bar motel, and impound your scooter. They got tired of scraping people off the highway up there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That's not too bad actually, just kinda "de-gloved" his foot so to speak. Has a few toe issues but that should heal up well; however, the skin grafting from other parts of him are going to suck. I don't have bikes anymore either. Hit three different times(pushed into guard rail / hit while stopped at a stop light / hit from behind by another bike on twisty road) but I always had full leathers on and luckily walked away relatively unscathed. Now I spend too much on firearms to support a bike habit not to mention the wife would have a fit at this stage in life. Next door neighbor just bought his 5 year old two of those mini sport bikes.....let the trauma begin:)

there are two kinds of bikers those who haven't had an a accident and those that will . I'm in the second of the two i broke my back .

there are two kinds of bikers those who haven't had an a accident and those that will . I'm in the second of the two i broke my back .

BIG +1
In 1985 my roomie and I both had Honda Interceptors, he was riding to work early on a Saturday, old man turned in front of him right down the street from our house, he was laying in the road screaming to call me, call woke me up, got there before the EMT's, bones sticking out everywhere, I went to the hospital w him, came home and put my bike for sale. No regrets.

Well, there goes my thread regarding "Hey, I Got Some Money To Spend...What Kinda Crotch Rocket Should I Buy?!".

Yeah, I'll just stick with my lame 4X4 truck...

Hope he gets better, let him know that we're rooting for him here on the 'Hide!!!

My brother was killed on a bike 3 years ago. Helmet, full gear. High sided his bike. Life's too short. Miss him every day.
I am sorry to hear that man. I parked My Road Glide when my son was born three years ago. Guess I ought to sell it, I do not see myself on the road any time soon.

Wow, the irony of looking at this post is I just sold my R1200GS and was looking on craigslist to replace it. Perhaps not. Too many assholes texting and driving, it's a fucking pandemic.

Last edited:
I sold my last bike 2 years ago. Half of the reason was all of the fatals and serious injury accidents starting to get to me. The other half is that I just don't have he time to ride around aimlessly like I used to. I either am working, taking the kids somewhere or going shooting. Sucks getting older. I miss being young and invincible.

I have a Fatboy that has been sitting in the back of the garage for the last few years. Been out a handful of times each of those years and basically to run it around.

Should probably sell it but hate to at the same time.

Crashing sucks. After two bad times, I hung it up and moved on.

I gave them up a few years ago. I rode after this, but it just wasn't the same. so I sold the bikes and moved on with life.

I quit riding a few years ago due to getting to the point I just didn't feel comfortable on one. I've had two buddies get killed riding. One missed a stop sign and the other had a guy turn left in front of him. The guy that turned in front of my one buddy showed absolutely no remorse in court. Wanted to rip his fucking head off. His wife was riding with him and was seriously injured. This happened in 2001 and she still has issues with it.

Wow, the irony of looking at this post is I just sold my R1200GS and was looking on craigslist to replace it. Perhaps not. Too many assholes texting and driving, it's a fucking pandemic.

Word on that. Cell phones have changed everything. I sold my last bike a year ago and sometimes I really miss it. I still ride a road bicycle a lot and it seems like everywhere I go I really have to look through the tint and look for the elbow or tilted head. cell phone drivers! It is what it is, and I don't see it changing. I would love a new street bike, some of em look awesome, a new Yamaha would be cool, but i don't see it happening. So after decades of riding, probably over for me too.

Been riding for many years. I ride a Harley. Last 10 years I've put about 90,000 miles on bikes. I don't drink, I don't ride after dusk if I can help it, I watch every car on the road, they ALL want to kill me, I'm careful who I ride with, must be experienced riding in pairs or more.
I also refuse to live my life in fear of what may happen if I ride a bike. I try to take as much risk of accident out of the equation as possible, ride cautiously, avoid city traffic.
The saying, "2 kinds of bikers, those that have crashed and those that will" is utterly stupid. I know many riders with 500.00 miles under their butt and never a crash. I know guys that have crashed the first time on.

Take away guys that drink, smoke weed, drive reckless, stunt crotch rockets, ride at night and ride in city traffic and you just eliminated a big bunch, the MAJORITY of crashes.
You can also be killed driving a car, did you know that ???

Hmmm.. It looks like motorcycles can be dangerous. It's probably better not to be around them, then.

I sold my R1200GS two years back after THE WORST riding season of my life. I had SEVERAL ridiculous close calls with either left turning drivers or folks on 2 lane highways pulling out to pass...with ME ONCOMING and having to avoid them. It had been coming for several years...simply not enjoying the ride like I used to. too many close calls and after thirty two years as a highway cop....I've seen the downside, far too many times. I always thought.."That wont be me". Hell. I ride smarter and safer.

Had a high school girl blow a red light probably 2 seconds after it turned and almost T-Bone me at 45-50 mph as I was proceeding through the intersection. Luckily I saw it coming along with whoever the guy was behind me. Luckily he didn't hit me when I stopped as she narrowly missed me by maybe 18" or so. NEVER even SAW ME as both myself and the pickup driver both saw her with her phone in her hand, on her steering wheel!

Still have my old R-65 for local rides and my Ducatti Monster...but the Duc will probably get sold this Spring. Simply too dangerous an environment. I doubt that at 64 yoa I would heal as well as I could at 20 years old.

FN in MT

What I feel really sad about is that I don't even enjoy driving my car like I used to. Used to love nothing more than a cross country drive...put the window down and let her cruise. Really relaxing. Now there are so many frightened (at what the future of our world holds) and angry (because they are frightened) people on the road it has become 'combat driving'. Every one is in a hurry and its get the fuck out of my way, cut you off, flip you the bird, assholes.

Hmmm.. It looks like motorcycles can be dangerous. It's probably better not to be around them, then.
Yeah, I agree completely (with what I believe you really mean)......................I could get hurt riding.......sure, along with a million other things I love to do. Life would be awfully boring without some risk......................didn't Howard Hughes end up there?

Been riding for many years. I ride a Harley. Last 10 years I've put about 90,000 miles on bikes. I don't drink, I don't ride after dusk if I can help it, I watch every car on the road, they ALL want to kill me, I'm careful who I ride with, must be experienced riding in pairs or more.
I also refuse to live my life in fear of what may happen if I ride a bike. I try to take as much risk of accident out of the equation as possible, ride cautiously, avoid city traffic.
The saying, "2 kinds of bikers, those that have crashed and those that will" is utterly stupid. I know many riders with 500.00 miles under their butt and never a crash. I know guys that have crashed the first time on.

Take away guys that drink, smoke weed, drive reckless, stunt crotch rockets, ride at night and ride in city traffic and you just eliminated a big bunch, the MAJORITY of crashes.
You can also be killed driving a car, did you know that ???

I can really appreciate what your saying.

I have been riding most my life and there is a feeling that I'm bending to my fears. However they are very justified, especially where I live. I did not mention that my wife was driving her van a few weeks back and was stuck by some dip shit nineteen year old girl who ran a red light. The van was totaled, wife ok thank heavens. But in looking at the damage if that was a motorcyclist they would have been killed. So there is no replacing the safety of driving something with lots of mass. On the flip side of things my dad has been riding for years, he is 74 and still going at it with only a few minor get offs. Yes all those things stated above will get you killed and risk aversion is a good tactic. No matter what, if it's your time perhaps its your time? I don't know? All I do know is that I really miss motorcycles but am very gun shy about getting back on one now that I see all the people using their cell phones while driving. Seems like the risk factors have risen exponentially. If I see my CHP motorcycle cop neighbor soon i'll chat him up just to get his take on things.

Chrome side up and rubber side down my friend.

Have you ever had a real life changing experience from crashing one? I don't think anyone here is saying to live in a Safety Bubble.... at some point, if folks decide that the risk is not worth it, so be it.

I lived and breathed motorcycles since 15 yrs old.... Motocross, Grand Prixs, Road Racing, Cruisers etc. and two bad crashes finally sealed the deal and made me realize there's more to this life than chasing the adrenaline and honing that skill... to each his own and I won't knock a feller for hanging up his helmet, so he can die from something else someday.

Edit: and what's funny is, I actually felt safer on the track.... seeing how people conduct themselves in their motor vehicles on our Public Roads... I don't want any of that.

Last edited:
It's a war around our house on this these days. I've rode since I was ten, worked in a bike shop in college ( most fun ever!!!) and raced motocross till I was thirty, gave that up because I didn't like competing with 14 yr olds that didn't have to go to work in the morning....

Still have a pretty hot 4 wheeler - was doing wheelies at Thanksgiving at the ranch, with my 97 yr old grandmother ( she was TOUGH let me tell you!) on the back. Don't have an MX bike anymore, no crotch rockets ( not sure I could not twist it off !), but have a Fat Boy and an Electra-glide Classic. My two older kids, grew up around bikes, are kinda take it or leave it with them, ( 29 and 32 ), but the 4 yr old, all she wants to do is Ride With Daddy. Wife used to ride with me, when we were "pre-kid", we used to even take her as a baby around the subdivision ( lived in a large gated community on the lake) on the 'glide, to put her to sleep.

But now, The Power of The Apron Strings is strong, and mommy doesn't want either me or lil bit, on the bikes. Can't say that I am still up for ten-twelve hour rides these days, too much going on, but I do like a little ride in the evenings, especially when we are in the country, not so much where we live. The little gal, throws a fit, when she sees me heading out for a ride, mommy throws a fit if I take her, tell you what it's enough to make a man move his bikes to the shop, which I did. I can "go work on rifles" and have little time to ride also.

How else are you guys that have a few bike miles, handling the change in your lives, and either giving up the bike, or cutting way back?

Carlos Checa turned faster lap times after his worst crash than before it. He called the crash a 'life-changing experience'.

Nothing in life is worth doing, without risk. Thats what makes it fun and thrilling.

Shit happens, they knew the odds/game and they lost.

Sold my bike last year to buy another gun (yes I have an addiction) but will pick another up soon.

I raced motocross for many years, broke my fair share of bones, and still ride for pleasure.

After having worked on an ambulance as an EMT for a few years, going on multiple calls for fatal and critically injured motorcyclists, theres no way I would ride street. Too many A-holes not paying attention and unsafe road conditions.

Majority of the time... Not bikers's fault. Motor vehicle not paying enough attention and hitting "T-bone"
8a5erusy.jpg

Trauma1