• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No more motorcycles for me

Most bikers wreck or are hit due to incompetence,,,if you don't ride as if everyone is trying to kill you on the road, then you have no business on a bike.

Same here. The feeling I got from racing sportbikes doesn't compare to that of being a father. I do miss riding at times but I haven't been in the cockpit in 6 years.

Just like world... Look into people's EYES! Especially at intersections... People ALWAYS give away intentions or lack there of with the EYES.

Trauma1

Just like world... Look into people's EYES! Especially at intersections... People ALWAYS give away intentions or lack there of with the EYES.
One very small problem with that theory: If you are close enough to see their eyes you are too close to avoid a head-on collision.

And this is comming from a bunch of guys who place an explosive device inches from thier face, and then set it off...LOL

Ride on

... How else are you guys that have a few bike miles, handling the change in your lives, and either giving up the bike, or cutting way back?

Downsizing now, but still on 2 wheels @65 & enjoying retirement 2 up

scooters in Taipei (Taiwan) traffic ?????????????? - YouTube

chop it off.. with todays prosthetics it would not be that big of a deal may even be a faster recovery time and cheaper in the long run

True that...
Sorry to see that happen 8>(
It was worse when I rode on the bike behind my wife riding on that same mountain road (Highway 2) when she got broadsided - had to pick her pieces up & lost her leg below the knee in '05.

... Area I grew up the street bike guys would hit the mountain roads and when the weather was good life flight or the meat wagon was up there every couple days. Highway patrol got to the point if they caught you over 10mph over speed limit it was reckless driving, trip to the metal bar motel, and impound your scooter. They got tired of scraping people off the highway up there...

Will ride dawn patrol 6am or B4, 27 miles to Nukems Ranch to avoid CHP (never stopped for one) & traffic...

Downsizing now, but still on 2 wheels @65 & enjoying retirement 2 up

scooters in Taipei (Taiwan) traffic ?????????????? - YouTube

True that...
Sorry to see that happen 8>(
It was worse when I rode on the bike behind my wife riding on that same mountain road (Highway 2) when she got broadsided - had to pick her pieces up & lost her leg below the knee in '05.

Will ride dawn patrol 6am or B4, 27 miles to Nukems Ranch to avoid CHP (never stopped for one) & traffic...

Then theres this one

LiveLeak.com - Italian Motorcycle Police Display

One very small problem with that theory: If you are close enough to see their eyes you are too close to avoid a head-on collision.

Actually, you can in fact look at peoples eyes at intersections when they are deciding to pull out in front of you or turn in front of you. You also watch their hands on the wheel. Head on isn't the threat, but that isn't what he's ta;lking about.
He's not talking about the driver doing 35-65 mph as he/she approaches an intersection.

Last edited:
Riding in this country, the lack of skills and nonexistent recurrent training never ceases to amaze me.

If you drive like Miss Daisy I suppose there's time and attention available to try for eye contact, but there's a reason why GVH is where it's at: At least in London, Vienna, Tokyo, and New York it is.

Riding in this country, the lack of skills and nonexistent recurrent training never ceases to amaze me.

If you drive like Miss Daisy I suppose there's time and attention available to try for eye contact, but there's a reason why GVH is where it's at: At least in London, Vienna, Tokyo, and New York it is.

Since joining this sight, I have wondered how I ever made it thru life without having the privilege to read all your wisdom you spew forth on every single topic/interest/media event that happens in our little lives. You are an amazing man, Mr. Graham, a truly amazing man !!! In case no one has thanked you for sharing your vast knowledge on EVERYTHING with us, I thank you !!! I'd be surprised if Obama doesn't call each night to get your input.

... I'd be surprised if Obama doesn't call each night to get your input.
Unlike some people here, I comment on topics about which I have had first-hand experience.

I admit that the numbers of experienced, like-minded people, who choose to remain here as members and who are capable of contributing to that kind of a discussion without feeling insecure and attacking others because of it, are dwindling.

My contributing honestly, directly, and unapologetically the way I do is probably a bad habit of mine, left over from when this site was young and it's members were different. Please don't take it personally.

And, thanks for asking, but my days of advising the highest levels of the Federal government are over. I work for myself now.

Last edited:
Unlike some people here, I comment on topics about which I have had first-hand experience.

I would question anyone with self proclaimed "first hand experience" riding as to why/how they DIDN'T watch drivers eyes and/or hands at an intersection. That's in the basics of motorcycling rules. Good thing you quit riding.

This picture has me rethinking getting a bike. I grew up racing mx from a 65 to a 85 to 125 to a 250, 2 strokes the whole way I wont have a 4 stroke mx bike, but after seeing that pic I think Ill stay on the dirt.

I don't think that pic is from a bike wreck/crash. Went and found this on the net, it says he was riding in tennis shoes, idiot, and supposedly got his foot caught in the spokes, but who really knows, it's the internet.

Last edited:
I would question anyone with self proclaimed "first hand experience" riding as to why/how they DIDN'T watch drivers eyes and/or hands at an intersection. That's in the basics of motorcycling rules. Good thing you quit riding.

That struck me as odd also... I avoided a crash last year while riding a Street Glide, coming down a 2 lane country Highway, going 55MPH...because a lady was at an Intersection, and she was televising her intentions; I could see it in her face and head motions, and it led me to chop throttle, pulled in clutch...and no sooner did I do those things, she turned out in front of me like a crazy lady...and I was able to maneuver out of the way to avoid collision. Just those few extra tenths of a second that can lead to avoiding a crash.

That is one of many situations where I was able to read someone's face and general demeanor to see what they were about to do, and take precautionary measures.

Quit riding?! You must have criticized my posts without reading them, because I was advocating the opposite.

Observing signs of telegraphing is not the same thing as looking to see a driver's eyes. Maybe also have another read of what you yourself posted.

Speaking of which, I just parked one of the street bikes and I am reassembling the race bike as I write this. First race school is in two weeks. This time of year the track is a bit cold to have the students try too much at the margins of an envelope, but we manage the risks.

... And that's self-proclaimed management, of course. ?

Last edited:
Reguardless how the guy lost his foot lets all remember to be carful riding this year and keep it on two wheels. I love Harleys and knowing im going for a ride after work makes the day fly by. Been riding for 22 years.

I sold mine for that same reason and also quit flying a number of years back. Now I stick to the safer hobbies like guns, photography and vacations... :)

Ridden for 33 years. Been down 3 times... all low speed crashes. Not wearing equipment and got bacon to prove it. But none were more than embarrassing and moderately painful. Most recently was having the front tire come off the rim on my '27 HD. Again, caught it and slow speed. But dressed for it, not a scratch.

These days... gear, gear and more gear. Boots, proper pants. Technical gear, not just leather jacket. Gloves.

May not keep me from getting killed, but will eliminate injuries from wearing flip-flops, OP Shorts and Muscle shirts. I've responded to a lot of MC 10-50's. The guys/gals with good gear walk away. The ones with no gear end up as organ donors.

OP... Hope your friend is going to be OK. That looks bad... but I'm not a doctor. Who knows what they can do these days. My right foot looked worse than that once upon a time (not MC-related) and I walk w. no issues whatsoever. But, damn, that's not pretty.

My fellow riders out there... don't screw around with your gear. Get good stuff. Use it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Ridden for 33 years. Been down 3 times... all low speed crashes. Not wearing equipment and got bacon to prove it. But none were more than embarrassing and moderately painful. Most recently was having the front tire come off the rim on my '27 HD. Again, caught it and slow speed. But dressed for it, not a scratch.

These days... gear, gear and more gear. Boots, proper pants. Technical gear, not just leather jacket. Gloves.

May not keep me from getting killed, but will eliminate injuries from wearing flip-flops, OP Shorts and Muscle shirts. I've responded to a lot of MC 10-50's. The guys/gals with good gear walk away. The ones with no gear end up as organ donors.

OP... Hope your friend is going to be OK. That looks bad... but I'm not a doctor. Who knows what they can do these days. My right foot looked worse than that once upon a time (not MC-related) and I walk w. no issues whatsoever. But, damn, that's not pretty.

My fellow riders out there... don't screw around with your gear. Get good stuff. Use it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

You said your right foot once looked worse than that?! Wtf happened? Stuck your leg in a stump grinder?

Observing signs of telegraphing is not the same thing as looking to see a driver's eyes. Maybe also have another read of what you yourself posted.

Absolutely right on. But to take it a step further... Not only this... but MC riders need to be aggressive when it comes to being seen. I will point at a driver... make sure he sees me pointing my finger at him while also yelling (maybe he can hear me, maybe he can't) to stop. Human eyes are drawn to things like being pointed at... to being singled out. Probably ancient pre-historic response to keep from being eaten on a Veldt somewhere. You point at a driver coming out of a side street and it's way more effective than honking a silly little motorcycle horn. Yell, scream, get in their "faces". Profanity has a place in MC riding.

At very least, they will remember next time.

Give no quarter. Make car drivers notice you... even if it means yelling. Assume nothing. Ride like you are invisible... and need to make yourself visible.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Last edited:
You said your right foot once looked worse than that?! Wtf happened? Stuck your leg in a stump grinder?

Well, since you ask. Pretty much.

Farm accident as a kid. Big hay mowing machine behind a 30HP tractor. Ended up under it. Right foot up to my ankle still looks like Frankenstein or maybe worse. I still remember the ride to the hospital in the right front seat of a maroon Corvair with black vinyl seats... looking down at blood pooling on the floor mat. Car belonged to our farm hand who grabbed me up and got me to the hospital. Spent a good part of a summer in a hospital bed. Don't remember any pain. Shock is great that way.

Have had lots of MD's look at the foot over the years and shake their heads and wonder how I can possibly still have the foot and all the toes, much less walk w. no limp at all. Yet no limp, no issues and have passed every PT test and selection ever thrown my way, despite the predictions of the same MD's that there is no way that foot can work right. Part of my Physical Therapy as a kid was picking up dimes with my toes. A skill I still have, which is probably TMI. There's a doc out there who I owe a lot to... and I can't remember his name. I was told as a teenager that the surgeon had spent time as a surgeon at a MASH-type unit Vietnam... not long before he did my foot. And that it was sheer sh** luck that he was on duty at the hospital that day. Anyone else probably would have taken the foot off. I will NEVER complain about an Army doctor!!!

Now you know why I wear a 9 1/2 shoe on my left foot and a 10 1/2 EEEE on my right. ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

That struck me as odd also... I avoided a crash last year while riding a Street Glide, coming down a 2 lane country Highway, going 55MPH...because a lady was at an Intersection, and she was televising her intentions; I could see it in her face and head motions, and it led me to chop throttle, pulled in clutch...and no sooner did I do those things, she turned out in front of me like a crazy lady...and I was able to maneuver out of the way to avoid collision. Just those few extra tenths of a second that can lead to avoiding a crash.

That is one of many situations where I was able to read someone's face and general demeanor to see what they were about to do, and take precautionary measures.

If you're coming up to a cross street and there is someone stopped there, waiting to merge into traffic, you should probably ease off the throttle and cover the brake just out of habit, regardless of if you can see the person or if they are sporting limo-tint windows. Also, don't grab at the clutch - that's just going to make things worse in all cases.

I'm a big proponent of the hi-vis vests. When I rode on the street, I always had one on, even when I decided to head out in my white race leathers, I'd still throw on the hi-vis yellow vest. Turns out it not only helps you get noticed better, but it seemed like the police didn't worry about me as much either - either that or I was just lucky.

I've crashed twice since I started a few years ago - both times at the track - both times recognizing that doing the same on the street could have been fatal. I'm not sure I'll go back to street after my last crash turned my R6 into a track only machine.

As you get older you take fewer chances with tempting fate as you have an increased understanding of the ramifications of your actions. While we understand the basic application of risk versus benefit, some people tempt fate and continue to poke the beast until the beast decides to prove to you that your assessment of benefit over risk was completely misguided.

Attachments

• r81489243.jpg
    r81489243.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 14
I loved to ride and build bikes. Then in July 09 some truck driver in a hurry and not watching made a left turn directly in front of me. After 3 months in a coma, losing my left arm and right leg, 24 surgeries, being blind in one eye for a year, having a colostomy along with a shit ton of hardware in my left leg, I advise people to stop riding. I am able to do most things I used to and I eventually will do better. As to the comment about amputaing the foot to use a prosthetic. Not even close bud, while there are some amazing devices in use now they still suck.

... As to the comment about amputaing the foot to use a prosthetic. Not even close bud, while there are some amazing devices in use now they still suck.

Yes, prosthetics suck. Wife had a crush with missing bones & the docs thought amputation would result in less pain & meds. Meds were needed for almost 5 years & now she seems to get around pretty good without pain pills as the docs promised.

Hang in there jw, just being here & planning to get out to the range sounds good bud

In today's society, risk is overrated.

Well said, G
I loved to ride and build bikes. Then in July 09 some truck driver in a hurry and not watching made a left turn directly in front of me. After 3 months in a coma, losing my left arm and right leg, 24 surgeries, being blind in one eye for a year, having a colostomy along with a shit ton of hardware in my left leg, I advise people to stop riding. I am able to do most things I used to and I eventually will do better. As to the comment about amputaing the foot to use a prosthetic. Not even close bud, while there are some amazing devices in use now they still suck.

Chin up. things will improve.

To expand on the above a little with my own strategy: I gave up riding a few years ago but spent a good ~20 years 1-up/2-up. I think watching somebody's eye's is not really possible. I look at their front tires (even now as a cager). Their front tires tell you everything they are doing/going to do, i.e. turning/rolling/etc.. When you approach an intersection if you keep your eyes on the perpendicular car's front tires you'll see what moves people are making all without looking at their eyes/hands which for the most part are too busy looking at their phones anyway... But yeah, either strategy is better than simply not looking at other drivers because as we all know they don't see you.

Been riding over 40 years and being seen or heard is the best defence. Currently ride a 03 classic, running 5 lights in front and a brightass tail light and another blinking light for stopping under tourpak. Also installed a set of air horns that get used every time a car starts to move at a cross street. And I still have to ride like I have a set of cross hairs aimed at me.

[video=youtube;w7LDw3kI-3E#t=255]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7LDw3kI-3E#t=255[/video]

This is a really neat video. Note that it was made by the USAF in the 1960's. Not only is it historically interesting (how many people was the USAF losing to MC accidents... that they had to make this film)... but the old bike footage is great.

And the advice is still relevant. Neat, neat video!

BTW... shameless plug for old bike fanatics... join the AMCA. The Antique Motorcycle Club of America - Home.

Cheers,

Sirhr

And for vintage racers, there's AHRMA.
\

In fall 2012 I went down to the White Rose MC club in PA. They host an AMCA meet (Jefferson) and saw some of the hill-climbing they did. What an insane sport. But on the antique bikes it was just amazing. Those of you near Rhinebeck, NY... the spring AMCA meet is amazing. Modern bike riders always welcome... you are the future antique bike riders.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Screw you guys, I'm heading over to Advrider.com to post ND photos.