• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

No Varget, but one of these should work...

rangeryo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2013
Central Virginia
I've searched high and low for the famed, mythical Hodgdon Varget to no avail. New to realoading, so I'm starting from scratch. Picked up some other viable powders to try out, but not sure how any of them are going to end up with my rifle. I've got the following loads ready for ladder testing:

IMR 4064 (.5gr increments 39-46)
155 Lapua Scenar Bullets
Once fired Hornady Match Brass (Trim-2.008) - this has been fully prepped and weight sorted into .5gr weight lots (I had like 350 pcs of the stuff dont laugh)
Federal 210 Primers
2.260 OAL (~2.870 COAL)

IMR 8208XBR (.5gr increments 41-45.5)
Lapua 155 Scenar Bullets
Once fired Hornady Match Brass (Trim-2.008) - this has been fully prepped and weight sorted into .5gr weight lots
Federal 210 Primers
2.260 OAL (~2.870 COAL)

#3 (my most promising i think)
Hodgdon Benchmark (.5gr increments 39-45)
Lapua 155 Scenar Bullets
Lapua Brass (from 50pc freebie lot given to me by another member)
Federal 210 Primers
2.260 OAL (~2.870 COAL)

Alliant Reloader 17 (.5gr increments 44.5-48)
Berger 185 Juggernaut Bullets
Once fired Hornady Match Brass (Trim-2.008) - this has been fully prepped and weight sorted into .5gr weight lots
Federal 210 Primers
2.185 OAL (~2.840 COAL)

I tried to keep within, or just over book load capacities with the exception of the RE-17 loads (couldnt find much data). Going to my private 200yd range on Saturday, so I'll post results of the ladder tests once I return.

Meanwhile, do any of you have any input on whether I should expand or reduce my load ranges for any of the 4 loads mentioned above?

Attachments

• IMAG0285.jpg
    IMAG0285.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
I think your first set of loads with the IMR 4064 are going to get pretty hot past 43 grains pushing a 155 grain projectile, be careful with that one. I use IMR 4064 in my 308 and usually don't go past 43.5 grains pushing a 165 grain projectile.

I would agree that the 4064 looks like it's gonna hit pressure problems, so keep your eye on it carefully past 44.

You're spot on with 8208, although you won't get much for useable velocity till around 43.0 grains, and should find something great around 45.0.

Thanks for that. I actually marked the case heads with red marker on everything at or near max load. I only loaded them up that high because most people that I've seen run into case capacity issues and get into compressed charge territory around the 44.5 gr mark I believe. I stopped at 46 when I got the slightest bit of compression. End result, not sure whether I'll get to test those upper loads, but I will certainly find the top of range with that combo.

Last edited:
With the RL 17 I have ran out of case capacity somewhere in that 48 gr load with the berger 185 Jug. Primer was showing slight pressure signs but it would have worked fine except the SD and ES were not great. Had some pretty nice velocity though.

With the RL 17 I have ran out of case capacity somewhere in that 48 gr load with the berger 185 Jug. Primer was showing slight pressure signs but it would have worked fine except the SD and ES were not great. Had some pretty nice velocity though.

Yeah, I've heard of issues with ES and the RL-17. I mostly picked it up as something to tinker with. I have a friend that shoots it with his 208 Amax's, so I got 3lbs of the stuff for him, and 3 for me. Worst case, I don't like it, and I sell him another 3lbs of lot matching powder :)

In all, I'm hoping one of these loads will give me the velocity and ES numbers to reach 1000. Never shot that far before, but can't learn without experience. I'm pretty sure the 4064 isnt going to get me there, so I'm relying on the 8208, benchmark and Rl-17 to get me in the ballpark.

My friend that told me about RL 17 was shooting around 48 gr with 190 SMKs with great success. He liked the velocity, which it gives the best of any powders I've used. It shot decent groups at 100 however I've not tried it any farther. It's a good powder. Should give you satisfactory results.
Working up loads is some times fun, some times frustrating. Hope it's all fun for you.

Its been fun so far, but done nothing more than crunch some theoretical numbers and load a few rounds. Sorry part is, i hope to have hawk hill customs here in va true and rebarrel my rifle if they ever call me back. So ill get to start over before i get to a perfected load im sure.

I would agree that the 4064 looks like it's gonna hit pressure problems, so keep your eye on it carefully past 44.

You're spot on with 8208, although you won't get much for useable velocity till around 43.0 grains, and should find something great around 45.0.

You called that one right on the nose. 45gr 8208 nets me 3006fps. The 45.5 load equates to 3054! I only loaded one round per charge. Was attempting to do a ladder at 200 yds, but i dont know that there is any helpful data to be extracted. I may have had the slightest bit of primer flattening in the 45.5 load, but cant really tell bc every round fired had slight flattening.

When i get home tomorrow night I will post some more pics. For now, ill leave you with this.. found 2 lbs of varget, and 2lbs of reloader 15.

By the way, chrono numbers on 46.2gr reloader 15, with 155 scenars, 5 shot string ... In order of firing... 2796, 2797, 2830, 2798, 2800.. damn near sequential except that 2830 one...also group was 1/2 moa @ 200yds through factory rem bbl and action.

So results are in on the first set of reloads. Didn't have time to shoot the 4064 ladder loads, but I'm not too concerned with them. Also... FINALLY found a few pounds of varget and Reloader 15. I set up 5 round strings with them, with some loads right off of 6mmbr site, just for kicks. Decided that I'm dropping my gun off with the smith soon, so I didn't want to aimlessly burn too much of the scarce powder.

All targets were shot at 200 yards, except the 38 special, which was at 15. Honestly, I'm not sure that I can tell anything from the single shot ladder test. Can any of the more experienced eyes see anything I'm missing here?

Attachments

• IMAG0294.jpg
    IMAG0294.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0295.jpg
    IMAG0295.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0296.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG0297.jpg
    IMAG0297.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0298.jpg
    IMAG0298.jpg
    789.2 KB · Views: 10
That Reloader 15... Right at 1/2 MOA out of a factory Remington barrel and action. Had it not been for the cold bore on the left, would have been even smaller!

Attachments

• ResizedImage951393705223390.jpg
    ResizedImage951393705223390.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0299.jpg
    IMAG0299.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
A ladder test is pointless at 200 yds, you will not get any usable data what's so ever from it.

The point of the OCW test is to determine the "node" where changes in powder charge give the least effect on vertical POI, so a single shot is adequate for this purpose; and you can see this for at least one of your targets. This is to identify the region where you should evaluate finer increments, and look at groups with seating depth. I have found these OCW nodes at 200yd correlate well with the optimum barrel time (OBT) prediction of nodes. With this tool you are addressing barrel harmonics to insure the most uniform launching angle at the point the shot is fired; then you still need to use good loading practices for consistent velocity for longer-range performance.