• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Non NFA and NFA items on the same trust?

Hunter87

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2011
Connecticut
I've heard from some lawyers that this is ok to do and some who say not to. Is it better to make 2 trust up and split the separate items into categories ( nfa and non NFA). I'd like to put my growing collection of legal non nfa items into a trust as a security measure and peace of mind and nfa items I own/plan to own into the trust as well. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be helpful. I've read multiple topics where it's a 50/50 toss up.

Dan

Re: Non NFA and NFA items on the same trust?

I had a lawyer do my NFA trust and he had me do two seperate ones. At first I figured he was trying to get more money from me, but he had valid points. The first is that I live close to state lines and have moved back and forth across them several times in last ten years. When you move to a different state with NFA weapons you first have to get approval from ATF (fill out form giving 30-60 days notice and send in),then get trust amended for the new state (extra $$$), and finally send in new trust to ATF via certified mail to show it was amended. With a regualr property trust (aka non-NFA weapons, the gun safe, tactical equipment, house, car, etc) you can move to any state and still have it be valid and have family avoid probate court upon your death (which is the biggest reason to have a trust). Second was that if laws ever change for NFA weapons where they either have home inspections or confiscations you do not want all of your other guns/stuff on there too (who knows with that one). And third was to essentially keep everything seperate for when you die and family does not have to worry about what is a non-NFA firearm or NFA firearm. The NFA trust should be an actual gun trust that tells those who are recieving the items when you die what paperwork needs to be filled, who/how to notify the ATF, and how to keep the trust valid.

Hope that helps!