• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Non-sense you see on less professional forums

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
So I don't spend much time on barf.com at all, but my buddy loves going on there when he's in a foul mood and getting a shit storm worked up with all of the idiots. Anyway, he said a popular one over there are glocks exploding, unsupported chambers, yada yada yada... Well, I've never been privy to this sort of non-sensical verbal vomit until today!

Over on Michigan Gun Owner's forum, some D-bag opens up a thread titled "are you sure you want to buy a Glock?" Yup- my first intro to the world of the unintelligent spouting off "facts" for which they have no real experience.

I know we have the guys around here that hate Glocks for any number of reasons, we have the guys who are simply not interested in a pistol unless John Browning had a hand in it's design... But, Thankfully I have NEVER heard some idiot talking about Glocks being ticking time-bombs. And fyi, out of the five pistols I own, only one is a glock- so I'm not some huge fan.

I just wanted to let everyone know how nice it is to be surrounded by people of at least a "normal" level of intellect. Sometimes the disagreements make me forget that.

Re: Non-sense you see on less professional forums

A ticking time bomb hunh..... Guess i better buy more for when mine run out of time......

Gotta weed through the BS and ignore the idiots.....

My personal favorite; used to work with a guy....who should not own guns; our conversations would go about like the following; in response to some dumbass comment he made, me: where the hell did you hear that? idiot co-worker: on the internet (most likely barf.com), if it's printed there it must be true

Ya'll can start selling off you glock's at anytime to drive down the price so i can buy more, ya'hear!
whistle.gif

I'm not a Glock fan never have been. Just a preference. Doesn't dispute the fact they're a great handgun. I dislike the Glock kind of how i Dislike the AK-47. Nothing personal just not a fan. The best way to deal with people that start those types of threads is simply tell a mod to close it or just ignore it. It's honestly just meant to get a rise out of some glock fans and start a huge debate. The worse part about it is spreading misinformation that a person just getting into firearms might think is true.

You need to sort through more garbage on some forums moreso than others.

The whole Glock kaboom issue was early in the .40 S&W's life. Not really an issue any longer. Though you can still get the "smiley" on the case due to the lesser supported factory chamber.

Out of all the gun forums I read on, this is by far the one that has people who know what they are talkn about on it. I get on here to learn about rifles, I can help people in the pistol arena but I am here to learn. U hear people say crazy stuff all the time on some gun forums. I personally dont like glocks cause they have a weird grip angle to me, but I think they r a fine firearm and proven.

I hate Glocks. I will continue to call the Glock fanatics glocktards (mostly in jest). When it comes to a firearm there are so many options out there and it is really all about finding something that is reliable and works for you. If a Glock fits that role more power to you and happy shooting.

Glock chamber still sucks no denying that..

And as far as professionalism goes this site is pretty good. It usually stays prety clean thanks to the involvement of the owner and some good mods.

The one other site that I frequent and is very professional is HKPro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjdm151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And as far as professionalism goes this site is pretty good. It usually stays prety clean thanks to the involvement of the owner and some good mods.
</div></div>

Have you seen your sig pic?

Now to be fair, I did personally witness a brand new Glock in 45ACP lift the top of the chamber with its first round of factory Federal American Eagle 230 grain FMJ ammo. (I was a range officer for about nine years, so I've seen several kabooms.)

Does that mean Glocks are junk? Nope. I've also witnessed hundreds of thousands of rounds go through Grocks with NO problems, including one that a guy shot a case of ammo through every week for over a year. It's not my favorite firearm design, but they are durable, reliable, and fairly reasonably priced, and they wouldn't likely be as popular if they were failing left and right. Biggest issue with Blocks is the loose nut behind the trigger most times.

I always tell folks that before they take advice from some guy on the Internet, to read their profile. Anyone can come up with a cool username and avatar. It doesn't make the an expert. Lots of Condo Commandos out there... (Mom, I need more cheetos, MOM!)
wink.gif

I have seen some name calling here, but someone usually steps in and breaks it up.

(MOM, I said Cheetos, damn it)

OK, I am done. Good thread, I am anxious to read some more opinions.

I would like to see more people use the search tool, though. How many times do we have to ask "(mm or 45 acp" or "What should my next CCW be..."

Ahhhh Cheetos in the command post, finally

Saw a Glock blow up Saturday, I was ROing the guy so I had a good view. He looked surprised.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock chamber still sucks no denying that.. </div></div>

Here are some Glock smiles, on 45 Super brass loaded to ~50,000psi. 10gr Longshot, 230gr XTP, 1275fps, Glock 21 with 24lb recoil spring.

2012-01-29_11-46-13_880.jpg

I hate Glocks simply because real cops carry revolvers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He looked surprised. </div></div>

Is that the nice way of saying "he shit himself"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjdm151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate Glocks. I will continue to call the Glock fanatics glocktards (mostly in jest). When it comes to a firearm there are so many options out there and it is really all about finding something that is reliable and works for you. </div></div>

The first sentences make me
grin.gif

I too have nothing against a Glock person. And despite my forum name, I don't demand that John Moses Browning have blessed a handgun design for me to luv it.

I just think the Glock is too fugly to behold. There are so many other handguns in the world that are aesthetically pleasing, they don't hurt the eyes like the Glock does.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fnbrowning</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjdm151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate Glocks. I will continue to call the Glock fanatics glocktards (mostly in jest). When it comes to a firearm there are so many options out there and it is really all about finding something that is reliable and works for you. </div></div>

The first sentences make me
grin.gif

I too have nothing against a Glock person. And despite my forum name, I don't demand that John Moses Browning have blessed a handgun design for me to luv it.

I just think the Glock is too fugly to behold. There are so many other handguns in the world that are aesthetically pleasing, they don't hurt the eyes like the Glock does.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

You learn to love them... I thought they were ugly too, but I really liked shooting the G30...so much so I fell in love. Now I think Glocks look beautiful in their own odd way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He looked surprised. </div></div>

Is that the nice way of saying "he shit himself"? </div></div>

More or less.

I'm pretty sure he fired the guy who reloaded the bad ammo, too.
whistle.gif

<span style="font-size: 8pt">
(for the e-lawyers and stupid, that's just a figure of speech, not an allegation of non-BATF licensed ammunition manufacturing.)</span>

Then you have the opposite end of the spectrum.. I've been warned and assessed demerits for using the terms egay and WTH (the initials, not the actual words). Most recently warned for making a remark about liberals as it was considered divisive.

It's a kinder, gentler gun forum, I guess.

I think I know that site. Over moderation is just as bad as none.

Somehow, I ended up with six Glocks, and I carry one. They always work, and yeah, they do kind of look good in their own way after a while. The G17L is very accurate and so is the G20, but the adj. sights on those help. I hate the factory sights though, they always get changed.

I've seen Glock smiles once, using some older factory loads. I don't recall them doing that when new. It was in a G27, a .40 of course, and I can't believe the brass held, they looked worse than the pictures above. But no others have done it, nor have my reloads, but I only reload target ammo for the .40 Glock. In others, I use new or once fired brass for heavy loads, then retire it for target loads. There are at least two warnings by component manufacturers that warn against loading for that particular calibre in unsupported chambers. So I err on the safe side and load 'em soft, but there isn't much range between soft .40 and full .40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate Glocks simply because real <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">old</span></span> cops carry revolvers </div></div>

Fixed it for you ...
wink.gif

Eh, on ARFCOM the Glock ka-boom is more of a running joke than anything. I have two, and never once had a malfunction. Ugly as sin, but reliabilty trumps aesthetics.

I almost see the Kaboom as a benefit. Hear me out:

An overpressure situation will grenade the barrel/frame on most guns. The Glock unsupported chamber allows brass to be the pressure fuse, safely bliwing the excess pressure out the magwell, not grenading the barrel!

I'm half kidding, but half serious.

I used to build race engines, many with power-adders. Engines with fairly "normal" head gaskets will pop a gasket when you detonate, but almost NEVER as long as you aren't detonating. Engines with piano wire o-rings or Multi-Layer Steel (MLS) gaskets usually break a piston, burn a hole in a piston, or hammer the bearings out when they detonate.

There is a reason you use fuses in circuits!

I post a lot on barfcom and ripped more than just a couple of assess for being idiots. This site has it's fair share too.

Before starting on ka-boom and why it's a real concern with Glock. I've got two Glocks. 19 & 34. G19 is bug for 1911 carried strong side, 34 is Glock competitions.

I was out of high school before the first Glock hit neighborhood gun counter. Beretta was still the go to semi we talked up. I didn't much pay 1911s any attention at all.

Lead gave Glock a bad rep from the start even though Glocks were sold with an explanation of what lead does to Glock barrel. I've yet to run lead in a Glock barrel. G34 is fitted with KKM Precision for lead.

It wasn't until 40 S&W came to be that ka-boom became a follow up everytime Glock was mentioned. High pressure cartridge, weak case head and unsupported throat.

I hand load and scrounge for brass like all brass whores do. I don't see case bulging from my 1911 barrels. Both my 5" Colts have been optimized for feed ability..45 Glock barrels have more support than my Colts. Glock rifling builds pressure fast, especially with .40.

My biggest gripe with Glock is success. Face it, Glocks have perfect fan boy, idiot appeal, especially for the airsoft crowd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911wrench</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My biggest gripe with Glock is success. Face it, Glocks have perfect fan boy, idiot appeal, especially for the airsoft crowd. </div></div>

I might have my wife do that up in needlepoint.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The whole Glock kaboom issue was early in the .40 S&W's life. Not really an issue any longer.
</div></div>

I've only seen this one time, when a friend's Glock exploded back around 1991. Glock was apparently aware of the problem back then, and was quick to make it right by him by replacing it with an improved one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate Glocks simply because real <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">old</span></span> cops carry revolvers </div></div>

Fixed it for you ...
wink.gif
</div></div>

laugh.gif
thats ha ha funny and yes KraigWY, I am sure you have forgotten more than I'll know.