• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob Caliber Question

Re: Noob Caliber Question

6mm remmy, with 115 DTAC's. More powder capacity than the 243 win, and meets all your criteria.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6mm remmy, with 115 DTAC's. More powder capacity than the 243 win, and meets all your criteria.</div></div>

Case shape prevents more velocity than the 243 win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is your criteria:

Short Action.
.473 bolt face.
up to and including 1K for paper and steel

It cannot be:

6.5 CM
6.5x47
6x47
Or fire-formed in any way. After 762's post.

What's your choice? </div></div>

Henh, henh, henh...; youse guys...

Why is it folks never consider a Long Action cartidge in a Short Action?

As long as it's single fed, the only other issue is extracting/ejecting a live round. That's easy, you just trip the bolt release and withdraw the bolt a little further. Plinkkk, out she falls. ...Like that's gonna happen all so often, anyway...?

Now, then; since the range is open to more selections, mine is either a .30-'06 or a .280 Rem. Should put the others somewhere back around 3rd place or worse.

Or am I out of order here, folks?

.220 Swift, anyone?

Greg

...or just a f'rinstance, .270 130gr SST Superformance. Using published ballistics, gets to 1Kyd with 22 MOA elevation on a 200yd zero, stays Supersonic out to 1200yd. Not shabby for a factory round.

And if a short round it must be, try a faster twist .22-250. 3500fps with a 70gr?</div></div>

Greg,
The reason we cannot consider a LA round in a SA is because it is utterly ridiculous to think about single feeding in a tactical rifle. If I wanted a LA cartridge, I would get a LA. That way I could run heavier bullets seated out farther to take full advantage of its full capabilities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...why can't it be any of the rounds you mentioned...???...</div></div>

Because I don't want any of those rounds.