• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NOOB needing help on reloading equipment

Bolty

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2020
Nevada, Las Vegas
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for any and all info given. I did a search and came across threads from 7 to 9 years ago on equipment. Since I know things have changed I am wanting to look into reloading equipment. Just do not know what brands are good and what to watch out for. Here is what I am looking for with all your vast knowledge.
I have been looking and know what I am getting into, what it entails and the science of it all. Just need to know the fallowing info and I can go from there. Anything else would be great if I missed something. I am aware of the concept and basics of reloading, just need advice on equipment and some equipment to start with. Not looking for the lowest end but mid tier to start with. Will be reloading .308 and possibly 6.5 creed down the line. If you need more info let me know. Edit, I do have a .40 S&W Springfield xdm as well I would like to reload.

1. Good brands
2. Should I buy a bundle and if so recommendations ( around 500 dollars max)
3. What would I need if not in a bundle just to get started without boring my self out of wanting to reload and getting a hand workout.
4. Any other info that I might need to know

Last edited:
If you get a kit, do it knowing you'll likely replace most items in the kit at some point. Still not a bad way to go IMHO. RCBS rockchucker is a good press that you'll likely find a use for forever, even if you upgrade down the road.

You'll need measuring tools and brass prep tools. Good calipers, I prefer dial. Hornady or Sinclair measuring tools for cart headspace and length from head to ojive. Lyman makes good hand brass prep tools at a good price. Berrys bullets makes a good vib tumbler at a decent price. A few companies sells the berrys with their label on it.

Bolty - I keep a document with my process and links to all the tools I use. It might seem a little overwhelming at first, but if you would like a copy, please shoot me a pm with an email address and I will send it to you.
I also started with a kit, but quickly dumped that for better tools. You will have to decide for yourself how much time and money you are willing to invest. It has become an essential part of the hobby for me as I enjoy the loading process almost as much as the shooting.

Reactions: Went4It and Bolty
It gets down to a matter of technique and learning how to use the equipment properly. I've been handloading for a long time and have tried many different brands of equipment. I would steer you away from Smart Reloader and Hornady equipment. Redding, Forster, RCBS, Lyman, Lee (best value) and MEC make excellent products. If you want to go with a kit look at Kempf's as they will mix and match different brands.

For rifle you will likely migrate to a good single stage press and a turret of some make. On my bench are two Redding Ultramag presses, one Lee Classic Cast Single Stage, one RCBS Jr. and two Lee Classic Turret presses. I favor Forster, Lee and Redding dies and shell holders but have just about all brands except Hornady. The Forster and Redding sliding sleeve seat dies are great for loading concentric rifle ammo. Lee has innovative designs and are really good at "systems" but some of their older equipment is of lesser quality than their newer stuff. Look on Factory Sales for a good lineup of Lee equipment.

Case prep is important, I'm old school and use hand tools, no automation unless I polish the brass with steel wool, a Lee Universal Chuck gets used in a drill press or hand drill. Lyman makes a great trimmer system in their E-Z Trim product, excellent value. I like the Lyman 50 BMG deburring tool because it is larger than the standard tool and my hand doesn't cramp. It works on all cases from 22 cal and up.

Get the best mechanical scale you can find. My Dial-O-Grain has been out of production for some time but they occasionally come up on eBay. Several manufacturers have good balance scales.

I also favor the Lee Auto Drum powder dispenser used with the Lee Powder Through Expanding Die to charge cases. There are several good standard powder throws on the market. I have the Redding 3BR unit and it works very well.

I suggest Taper Crimp Dies for the rifle cartridges you mentioned. Both Redding and RCBS are top notch.

Whatever equipment you end up with learn how to use it properly and pay attention to detail.

Reactions: Bolty
Since it sounds like you are starting from scratch, I would say grab a rock crusher kit. Keep in mind that you will probably end up replacing everything in the kit except the press the trickler and maybe the scale. You will also need good quality measuring tools calipers, gauges. And a tumbler of some sort.
When I started I went the other way and bought all individual stuff. The only things i still use from that initial purchase is the scale the trickler and the press, and I spent more than the kit.
I would stay away from cheap (sub $300 load cell) electronic scales) they tend to seem more accurate than they are and can be affected by their environment.
I don’t think you can wrong with any of the quality big brands but I like RCBS for presses, Redding for dies and scales. Mitutoyo for calipers.
I will say the RCBS lube and lube pad work very well but are really inconvenient. Replace that first with the hornady unique, or imperial sizing wax.

Is $500 your budget for entire reloading setup? If not, what’s your ballpark budget?

If you get a kit, do it knowing you'll likely replace most items in the kit at some point. Still not a bad way to go IMHO. RCBS rockchucker is a good press that you'll likely find a use for forever, even if you upgrade down the road.

I would second the Rock Chucker. You can get a kit for right around the price point you're talking about (under $500). Of course this will not include dies. With most kits, you'll end up pretty much throwing everything away if you stick with it for a while, but with this, I could see the tray, powder throw, hand primer, funnel, and the press itself being used for a long time.

Is $500 your budget for entire reloading setup? If not, what’s your ballpark budget?

Sorry, no the 500 is just for the starter kit.

Thank you everyone, very good information. Everyone seems to shy away from Hornady for the press ect, and this is why I asked for brands. I will look into the brands mentioned and I have seen a few reviews around on RCBS and LEEs ect. Thanks again for the info, if anyone else has any info to give I am not buying tomarrow lol so I am still looking into the equipment.

FLASHHOLE, "Whatever equipment you end up with learn how to use it properly and pay attention to detail".
Always sir, always, I know the priciple and the science of reloading, just never have done it myself or gotten into it. I know the dangers ect. That is why I am asking here for equipment advice, so I dont get junk for equipment and end up loading wrong with scales being off ect.

No one mentioned the reloading book, are they all just as good as any or should you just go and download it every year and use it or use an app on the phone?

Bolty,
Get multiple books. When you work up a load cross reference multiple sources, it may help keep you out of trouble. Hogdon has a pretty good online library if you don't want to pick up their paper copy. I usually cross check Hogdon, Nosler and Hornady reference materials. Every now and then you will come across a powder/projectile combination that they don't agree on and you know to pay particular attention to that load if you are working with it.

Bolty,
Get multiple books. When you work up a load cross reference multiple sources, it may help keep you out of trouble. Hogdon has a pretty good online library if you don't want to pick up their paper copy. I usually cross check Hogdon, Nosler and Hornady reference materials. Every now and then you will come across a powder/projectile combination that they don't agree on and you know to pay particular attention to that load if you are working with it.

Thank you sir, I will remember that.

All I think I will be buying the stuff as parts instead of a kit, thanks to a few of you and your recommendations. Any other help or ideas will be helpful.

One last question, I know and see that a lot of people have more then one press, is that because your reloading more then one case, is there another reason? Just curious is all.

I do understand you have to remove dies ect to do different casing sizes ect, I do have a .40 S&W hand gun as well as I am building a .308 rifle. I know pretty much everyone has more then one gun so just wondering if you end up with just leaving each press set up for a sing casing size eventually.

Thanks again, all great info.

I have different presses for different goals. I have a Lee hand press, because that is what I started with and I still use it to seat primers instead of buying a priming tool. I have an M press because I wanted a coaxial type press for loading .308 and .223 and I have a Hornady progressive because the old lady and I like to shoot pistols to blow off steam, and when the range is 5 minutes away you go through a lot of pistol ammo. I guess I could do it all on the Hornady progressive, but I prefer to keep my primers separate from my powder, and I like to take my time with the rifle ammo.

Edit: Most presses have some way to streamline caliber changes. Whether it's bushings, turrets or what have you. If you are looking for one press for multiple calibers perhaps look in to a single state turret?

• Haha
I have different presses for different goals. I have a Lee hand press, because that is what I started with and I still use it to seat primers instead of buying a priming tool. I have an M press because I wanted a coaxial type press for loading .308 and .223 and I have a Hornady progressive because the old lady and I like to shoot pistols to blow off steam, and when the range is 5 minutes away you go through a lot of pistol ammo. I guess I could do it all on the Hornady progressive, but I prefer to keep my primers separate from my powder, and I like to take my time with the rifle ammo.

Edit: Most presses have some way to streamline caliber changes. Whether it's bushings, turrets or what have you. If you are looking for one press for multiple calibers perhaps look in to a single state turret?

I wish I was 5 minutes away lol, thanks for the reply (y)

Reactions: Notevenonpaper
Thank you sir, I will remember that.

All I think I will be buying the stuff as parts instead of a kit, thanks to a few of you and your recommendations. Any other help or ideas will be helpful.

One last question, I know and see that a lot of people have more then one press, is that because your reloading more then one case, is there another reason? Just curious is all.

I do understand you have to remove dies ect to do different casing sizes ect, I do have a .40 S&W hand gun as well as I am building a .308 rifle. I know pretty much everyone has more then one gun so just wondering if you end up with just leaving each press set up for a sing casing size eventually.

Thanks again, all great info.

I have a Redding T7 turreted press that I use for FL sizing and my expander mandrel die. I have an arbor press I use for seating. I have a Rock Chucker I was beating the crap out of with a hydro forming die (I stopped this), and I have a crappy lee turret press I use for things like bullet pullers, etc. The last stays in my closet since I don't need it much, the Redding is mounted to my bench, and the arbor press doesn't get mounted.

Forgot to ask this, digital or ballance scale for powder weighing ? Pros and cons of both ect.

I currently use two Chargemasters to dispense powder. I use an analog RCBS scale to verify those (along with the calibration process for the Chargemasters). Analog scales are slower; they need to stabilize to read accurately (swinging).

I would recommend having a beam balance in your reloading room if possible, however the digital powder dispenser is a huge time save that you can add later on.

Buy a book first. Reading the basics and having it for a refrance to select tools
will explain why you need them and delegate start up funds.

Don't get impatient, look for sales, posibly used in the px on the hide.
A good single stage never goes out of fashion and will still be used to augment
faster turrets and progresives.

Reactions: Feesh
Buy a book first. Reading the basics and having it for a refrance to select tools
will explain why you need them and delegate start up funds.

Don't get impatient, look for sales, posibly used in the px on the hide.
A good single stage never goes out of fashion and will still be used to augment
faster turrets and progresives.

I dont rush into most things, this being one of them, thanks for the advice. That is why I am here asking and not rushing into things. Looking to buy slowly, I am someone that looks for deals ect. I have been looking in the PX and will continue to, thank you.

Thoughts on this ?
#goals :)

There is a kit but like I said, I am going to piece everything together. I am not a one brand person, some brands make things better then others.

Thanks every for there advice so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
I have never used a turret press. I have a few single stage presses (Lee Hand Press, Lee Breech Lock, RCBS Rockchucker) and a Hornady Progressive.
I would strongly recommend a single stage press first; they’re versatile, durable (decades, lifetimes) and simple. Also, they offer value in all budget ranges. I love the Rockchucker, and have the Lee out on loan to a buddy who is just getting started.
I’ve loaded the majority of my ammo on the Rockchucker and use the progressive for large 9mm batches.

if you feel you'll predominantly reload rifle calibers as you've noted in the original post then you might strongly consider a single stage loading press. I've got a Forster Co-Ax and have been very pleased with it. It's not too expensive, it seems very well built and is generally well thought of with regards to consistency, accuracy and reliability.

i'm almost embaressed to admit but i have a progressive press i purchase a number of years ago that is still in the box. I'm very satisfied with the single stage. One day i'll take it out of the box and try it out.

if you feel you'll predominantly reload rifle calibers as you've noted in the original post then you might strongly consider a single stage loading press. I've got a Forster Co-Ax and have been very pleased with it. It's not too expensive, it seems very well built and is generally well thought of with regards to consistency, accuracy and reliability.

i'm almost embaressed to admit but i have a progressive press i purchase a number of years ago that is still in the box. I'm very satisfied with the single stage.

I may start out with a single stage, I do have a .40 S&W Springfield XDM I carry as well. i would like to reload for that as well. I realize I did not mention that in my initial post but I just thought about it earlier today and would be nice to do both. I do see your point though, so just thinking ahead and looking at not having 5 for 6 presses on a bench (nothing wrong with that lol and no offense to those who do) :)

Plus if I am shooting .308 and 6.5 creedmoor, I would assume from what I have read I would need to seprate dies due to the difference in the neck and should of the casing. If I am wrong please let me know.

I edited my original post to include my .40S&W.

Last edited:
I prefer a beam scale. They are a little finicky and must be kept clean. If you want to speed up the process, get a bench mounted measure and trickler. The cheap Lee measure works well with most powders, although fine ball and long extruded not so much. Set the measure to consistently underthrow and trickle up. I have RCBS and one other trickler that I don't recall the brand; both work fine.

For what it's worth, I started on a Lee kit and loaded some good ammo with it. Just saying that because I think some are tempted to get too hung up on equip starting out. Good luck and try to enjoy it.

Thoughts on this ?
#goals :)

There is a kit but like I said, I am going to piece everything together. I am not a one brand person, some brands make things better then others.

I have never used the Lyman turret press, but it looks very similar to the Redding T7 I use. This is essentially a single stage press that holds multiple dies. It allows you to rotate a die into place when you want to use it. Some turret presses have play between the turret and press, which can cause error. The Redding is rock solid, so not an issue. The Lyman, again, I cant' speak to, but also looks very solid from what I've seen.

I’d stay away from the Lyman turret. I’ve played with one and thought it was flimsy. The t7 is hands down the best turret press imo. It’s very beefy. I’m using the hornady single stage and don’t have any issues with it. I’m making 1/2 moa ammo with it and that’s being very lazy as far as my process is concerned.

I prefer a beam scale. They are a little finicky and must be kept clean. If you want to speed up the process, get a bench mounted measure and trickler. The cheap Lee measure works well with most powders, although fine ball and long extruded not so much. Set the measure to consistently underthrow and trickle up. I have RCBS and one other trickler that I don't recall the brand; both work fine.

For what it's worth, I started on a Lee kit and loaded some good ammo with it. Just saying that because I think some are tempted to get too hung up on equip starting out. Good luck and try to enjoy it.

Thank you for ur post, I am just trying to get my moneys worth, if i wind up going over 500 witch i see i will no matter what then that is fine, just lokking to start out on a good platform and grow from there. I am not and dont believe in one companies product (fanboy), every company makes good and not so good products. Basically I was lost in the weeds untill i got all this wonderful advice and help.

I have never used the Lyman turret press, but it looks very similar to the Redding T7 I use. This is essentially a single stage press that holds multiple dies. It allows you to rotate a die into place when you want to use it. Some turret presses have play between the turret and press, which can cause error. The Redding is rock solid, so not an issue. The Lyman, again, I cant' speak to, but also looks very solid from what I've seen.

All the reviews say its just as good at the redding T7, havent seen a bad review ect on it. I am looking at all types of presses. Thank ypu for ypur input

I would only advise to stay away from Hornady dies, i have had problems.

However I do use a lot of thier tools and bullets.

Not a big fanboy for any but lee, lyman and rcbs are a good value for starters.

I would only advise to stay away from Hornady dies, i have had problems.

However I do use a lot of thier tools and bullets.

Not a big fanboy for any but lee, lyman and rcbs are a good value for starters.

I noticed people use alot fo there tools, but not really there dies and presses. Not saying there horrible but not the best from what I have read and heard. thanks for your info. I am looking at RCBS, Lyman, LEE, and REDDING. I stated above that I am going to by them in pieces because I feel and see that some compaines do things better then others. Better to mix and match.

I’d stay away from the Lyman turret. I’ve played with one and thought it was flimsy. The t7 is hands down the best turret press imo. It’s very beefy. I’m using the hornady single stage and don’t have any issues with it. I’m making 1/2 moa ammo with it and that’s being very lazy as far as my process is concerned.

What do you mean by flimsy ? Every thing I have seen and heard says otherwise.

What do you mean by flimsy ? Every thing I have seen and heard says otherwise.
I miss spoke. I didn’t realize they came out with a new one. The one I played with was the t-mag turret. The new one looks beefy as hell.

Sorry, no the 500 is just for the starter kit.

Thank you everyone, very good information. Everyone seems to shy away from Hornady for the press ect, and this is why I asked for brands. I will look into the brands mentioned and I have seen a few reviews around on RCBS and LEEs ect. Thanks again for the info, if anyone else has any info to give I am not buying tomarrow lol so I am still looking into the equipment.

FLASHHOLE, "Whatever equipment you end up with learn how to use it properly and pay attention to detail".
Always sir, always, I know the priciple and the science of reloading, just never have done it myself or gotten into it. I know the dangers ect. That is why I am asking here for equipment advice, so I dont get junk for equipment and end up loading wrong with scales being off ect.

No one mentioned the reloading book, are they all just as good as any or should you just go and download it every year and use it or use an app on the phone?
I’ll tell you to buy a Hornady press. Most “o” frame presses are the same in function and leverage Hornady has the better quick change die set up, Lee’s is garbage imo. Lee, the only thing of value in the kit is the press it’s self, the scale, powder measure everything else is blah. Rcbs, (never been a fan of anything except the bench primer, Which I broke (don’t ask) and Rcbs charged me for parts and shipping. I guess it also has something to do with me hating the color. Hornady, has the best customer service I’ve ever dealt with in reloading, when you call you don’t sit on hold for 45 min. You talk to a real person who isn’t an idiot and they send you the part for free even if you broke it being stupid. That says something for me. The at least act like they give a shit. As for a book for 20ish$ you can get a reloading book app from Hornady, it’s much easier to reference. Also Hornady dies are the best budget dies you can buy hands down. They all have a floating sleeve that help with concentric ammo. And the seating die for pistol ammo is my favorite type at any cost, it’s super easy to adjust the crimp and depth. Just follow the instructions when it come to the initial cleaning and set up, you’ll be happy with them.

Last edited:
You might consider starting with a Dillon 550C or BL. It can be used in the beginning as a single stage and added to for use as a full progressive for pistol or rifle. Many use them in a "modified" format for precision rifle rounds as do I. I started with a single stage but quickly outgrew it and bought a Dillon. In retrospect, I could/should have started with the Dillon.
Just MHO.

You might consider starting with a Dillon 550C or BL. It can be used in the beginning as a single stage and added to for use as a full progressive for pistol or rifle. Many use them in a "modified" format for precision rifle rounds as do I. I started with a single stage but quickly outgrew it and bought a Dillon. In retrospect, I could/should have started with the Dillon.
Just MHO.

Thanks for the suggestion, ill look into them as well.

Just MHO.
This is good advice I do A lot of my loading steps on a Hornady ap. They all come up used pretty often

another vote for a Dillon 550. Its not as "progressive" or automatic as a 650 and is manually indexed. You can run it as a single stage, you can run it as a modified progressive(like a turret)... and you can run it as a full progressive. I load 9mm, .357/.38, and .223 on it.

Personally I would recommend either a turret press or a progressive. I don't see any reason to start with a single stage, especially if you're going to load pistol.

I own the Lyman T-Mag II press and while its not quite as robust as the T7, I have zero issues with it. I've loaded close to 10k rounds of various ammo on it and I have no reason to get rid of it or upgrade. If I ever decide I want another press, and I don't get a Dillon 750, I'd get a T7.

Good luck, and pay attention to the reloading manual

We also run a dillon it's great but if you do not have a mentor around you could get frustrated with it as a first choice.

Also there is the 500$ start up fund the op is trying to stay within.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I looked at the Dillon presses, while they are nice, I am not into all the "automation" that they do. I also dont understand why you have to buy a caliber conversion kit with the basic machine. I do understand about the dies ect as you need a different die for each round due to the different neck and should ect that has to be resized due to stretchering after firing the round.

I am guessing that with the caliber sets, its designed to run more then one casing threw like an assembly line from a video I looked at. So for those who have dillions, does that mean if I do not need to change out the caliber conversion kit if I was to reload .308 and 6.5 creed due to the head and body being the same just different neck and should? I would just have to change out the resizing die on top ? I could see my self if say 5 plus years getting a Dillons after learning the ins and outs first. Would not want to get ahead of my self to much and cause an issue do to carelessness. CRAWL, WALK, RUN lol and the Dillons to me are the RUN phase LMAO> price doesnt scare me except when you get into

Dillons are nice but I think I would enjoy the more hands on approach, I am looking at the Redding T-7 and the Lyman all american 8 for right now. I do like the turret setups on those and the fact I can set the dies and not have to swap out. I also like that there single stage so I could run a bunch of prepped brass threw each stage of the loading work flow, check my work and not go to fast on these setups. There also a little more future proof. I can set up different dies for different rounds on the turrets and buy more turrets if need be as well. Dillons will be in the back of my head as a future #GOALS lol, but they make the process a bit to fast for me and as being brand new I would rather take it slow.

This may be a dumb question but I believe a dumb question is the one not asked. I see die sets for .308 Win and also die sets for 7.62. Knowing I can fire a 7.62 from a .308 rifle but not vise versa do to powder charge differences, is there a difference in the die sets ?

While on the subject of dies, how do you know if you got a set that will work ? Why do you prefer one brand over another ? Have some just ruined casings or would not resize casing or seat bullet properly ect ?

Brand recommendations especially with the Redding T7 turret and the Lyman American 8 turret setups.

The dillons are high speed but I think one of the turrets is the way to go since they can be operated single stage.

I started rifle on a single stage and then the dillon came for pistol mass quantities.

The dillon is getting 223 set this week but will still be doing brass prep on the single because I trim every time.

The prime, powder, seat and crimp will be much faster on the dillon.

Been keeping away from grandkids ect because my wife works groceries and could get exposed any day, sucks.

My reloading supplies are at my sons nice reloading room.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I looked at the Dillon presses, while they are nice, I am not into all the "automation" that they do. I also dont understand why you have to buy a caliber conversion kit with the basic machine. I do understand about the dies ect as you need a different die for each round due to the different neck and should ect that has to be resized due to stretchering after firing the round.

I am guessing that with the caliber sets, its designed to run more then one casing threw like an assembly line from a video I looked at. So for those who have dillions, does that mean if I do not need to change out the caliber conversion kit if I was to reload .308 and 6.5 creed due to the head and body being the same just different neck and should? I would just have to change out the resizing die on top?

Theres not a lot of automation with a 550, its essentially just an assembly line of 4 dies, or up to 4 dies. Each toolhead slide into the top of the press, and holds 4 dies. You can have multiple tool heads, that house up to 4 dies that are already set. So you can keep your dies set to where they need to be, and just switch tool heads. You also have shellplates, that are generally caliber specific. A shell plate is just like a shell holder, but has slots for 4 casings, as opposed to 1. You'll need different shell holders for your different calibers regardless of whether you get a turret or single stage press.

That all being said, I think you're right...I think the best thing you could get would be a turret press for now. They're cheaper than a progressive and IMO, wayyyyy better than a single stage.

Someone who has more experience may be able to chime in, but I don't see how the dies for .308/7.62 could be any different. The dimensions of the actual cartridges should be basically the same. The issue to my knowledge was based off the pressures allowed in the chambers, as well as the headspace in the chambers of guns chambered for one over another. The reloading portion as it applies to dies should be the same.

As far as dies goes... its almost entirely PREFERENCE. Now there are certain dies that are typically preferred for certain things, like precision reloading or small base dies for guys with automatics, etc. Generally speaking if you stick to name brand you should be fine. You DO NOT have to spend a bunch of money on dies to get started.

Occasionally, you may get a die thats out of whack, or something...but I've never had a die really mess up so to speak. Some are more consistent, but they all still work. They all should fit in any standard brand press, it's not like one set of dies is going to work better with a specific press. I think I own RCBS dies more than any other brand, but I use Lee for some of my pistol stuff, and have Forster for any precision rounds I make.

Thats all I can think of now

Books and videos first, then I would start with a press, not a kit. The press is the only thing I still use out of my rock chucker supreme kit. RCBS has been a good press, but for dies, I would go with Hornady or other than RCBS if your loading VLD bullets. You can pick up a used press online for @$100 bucks. Get an electronic powder charger now, I have a Chargemaster. Go ahead and get the new Lyman electric case trimmer and case prep center, should be able to get them for $125 each. Brass prep is the bain of reloading. Go ahead and get some sort of wet tumbler, dealing with the dust and dirt of the dry tumbler is bullshit. You'll need some sort of caliper, I like digital but many others will tell you not to go that route. I use a hand primer, I think it is faster. You'll need some trays, loading blocks, an impact bullet puller, and funnel. I use Hornady one shot in a zip lock bag for case lube, it's much more efficient than the foam pad with oil roll bullshit. As far as the actual reloading process, it's not rocket surgery :p, review the steps in the book, focus on the task at hand, have confidence if you are careful and precise you will make good ammo.

Just give me your credit cards and let me buy It for you. I like spending other people money I'm very good at it ?

• Haha
Just give me your credit cards and let me buy It for you. I like spending other people money I'm very good at it ?
I am sure you would love to lol

Books and videos first, then I would start with a press, not a kit. The press is the only thing I still use out of my rock chucker supreme kit. RCBS has been a good press, but for dies, I would go with Hornady or other than RCBS if your loading VLD bullets. You can pick up a used press online for @$100 bucks. Get an electronic powder charger now, I have a Chargemaster. Go ahead and get the new Lyman electric case trimmer and case prep center, should be able to get them for $125 each. Brass prep is the bain of reloading. Go ahead and get some sort of wet tumbler, dealing with the dust and dirt of the dry tumbler is bullshit. You'll need some sort of caliper, I like digital but many others will tell you not to go that route. I use a hand primer, I think it is faster. You'll need some trays, loading blocks, an impact bullet puller, and funnel. I use Hornady one shot in a zip lock bag for case lube, it's much more efficient than the foam pad with oil roll bullshit. As far as the actual reloading process, it's not rocket surgery :p, review the steps in the book, focus on the task at hand, have confidence if you are careful and precise you will make good ammo.

I am 95 percent sure I am going with a turret setup, looking at what you listed, like most of the lyman stuff, I keep leaning towards the American 8, I think its the yellow lol. Looks so bright and cheerful, makes me want to start yesterday LMAO. Thanks for recommendations and will look into all you listed as well.

I wont be going with a kit soo the 500$ is no longer in play as I plan to get this stuff over a stretch, I would rather get stuff I wont replace later on as in a kit item that is just ment to get you started. Be that may, I dont plan to spend 1500 on a progressive or automated system either. I want and NEED to learn the roped before I spend that money on it. I do like to work with my hands and there fore think it would be kinda boring to have a machine load everything for me (no offense and I understand where that can be useful). With that being said, I also feel that every round I make will be personal for me, as I plan to shoot in PRS, witch also means going to the range and testing with my rifle. ( another excuse to shoot ;);))

If you are just starting out, grab a Prometheus :).

Welcome to the world of never ending change. Lots of good people are willing to steer you in the right direction. Read up and pick a caliber to master.

If you are just starting out, grab a Prometheus :).

Welcome to the world of never ending change. Lots of good people are willing to steer you in the right direction. Read up and pick a caliber to master.

#GOALS

Will go on my list with the Dillion lol, can check the Dillon with it LMAO

Thanks, I know, I have been researching and it changes weekly it seems like. New stuff coming out all the time. .308 is what I was going to do first for rifle and .40S&W since I already have a Springfield XDM.

I was in your shoes 5 years ago. I went with a Redding T-7 turret and two sets of Redding dies in .308 and 9mm. I learned on the the T-7, then added a Dillon 550 and shifted all pistol and .223 work to the 550. The Redding stays as a rifle caliber press and somewhat used for mass de-capping prior to washing of any caliber. I would not change a thing. Just rolled up 60 rounds of precision 6.5 creedmoor on it last night and didn't have to change a thing after 8 months of non-use.

Reactions: Gustav7
I was in your shoes 5 years ago. I went with a Redding T-7 turret and two sets of Redding dies in .308 and 9mm. I learned on the the T-7, then added a Dillon 550 and shifted all pistol and .223 work to the 550. The Redding stays as a rifle caliber press and somewhat used for mass de-capping prior to washing of any caliber. I would not change a thing. Just rolled up 60 rounds of precision 6.5 creedmoor on it last night and didn't have to change a thing after 8 months of non-use.

Why did all pistol and your .223 end up going on the Dillon? I like this idea, but why all smaller caliber stuff went to the Dillon ?

Why did all pistol and your .223 end up going on the Dillon? I like this idea, but why all smaller caliber stuff went to the Dillon ?

Dillons really shine with Pistol calibers because generally speaking you don't have to trim(no bottle neck), or lube(carbide dies). So its a one stop shop. I can grab 500 .38spl cases from my brass bucket, and have them loaded up in just over an hour.

If I didn't have a turret press, I'd also do 6.5cm on my dillon, but right now its just easier to do it on my turret, plus I shoot 6.5cm the least (as far as number of rounds).

I doubt he specifically picked "all small caliber"... but more like his pistol calibers(b/c who the hell wants to do pistol on a turret lol). You also only get like 7 spots on the T7, and no one wants to reset all their dies.

Dillons really shine with Pistol calibers because generally speaking you don't have to trim(no bottle neck), or lube(carbide dies). So its a one stop shop. I can grab 500 .38spl cases from my brass bucket, and have them loaded up in just over an hour.

If I didn't have a turret press, I'd also do 6.5cm on my dillon, but right now its just easier to do it on my turret, plus I shoot 6.5cm the least (as far as number of rounds).

I doubt he specifically picked "all small caliber"... but more like his pistol calibers(b/c who the hell wants to do pistol on a turret lol). You also only get like 7 spots on the T7, and no one wants to reset all their dies.

I havent looked into pistol reloading, just been doing rifle brass, I didnt know there where a lot less steps. Now I see why a Dillon would be very useful for pistol reloading.

Thank you sir

Pistol is much faster on a 550. And honestly all my .223 is plinking rounds, so use the Dillon powder thrower and have no issues with that level of accuracy. For all my bigger rifle calibers I use the turret to resize, then use a Chargemaster and loading block for powder charge, then seat with the Turret press. All in batches. Basically high volume goes on the 550. Small volume on the Turret. And I still do have an extra turret head setup with pistol dies for the T-7 as well. I haven't used it in a long time but it's there if I want to go slow or work up a small batch.

And on the 550 I have two toolheads setup, each with their own powder drop. Changing over from one to the other is less than 10 minutes even with quality checks before rolling full speed.

I do have a flow thru powder drop die for the Dillon, for which I could load powder charges using a funnel, just haven't really had a need to go there yet. I'm not loading 200+ rounds at any time of .308 or 6.5.

Reactions: Bolty and Gustav7