• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Noob Q on NV for Threat ID/Shooting

MaverickNH

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2010
Bedford, NH
So I have a home field of view limited into dark woods on 3 sides and 300yd open road ahead. Three low street lights on the road ahead before an S-turn with woods behind turn and along left side - two other homes on right side of road. I am on high ground looking ahead, with upwards slopes to rear through woods.

I would look for NV to ID threats coming down the road, exiting vehicles and taking cover, with ability to place 556 rounds as needed from a SIG 556 with ranging holographic red dot and 3x magnifier side-flip.

Do I want a PSV-14 on the rifle or the monocular on a helmet mount?

Pro's and Con's appreciated. Like I said - Noob Q
grin.gif
Waitin for that Chappy video!

Re: Noob Q on NV for Threat ID/Shooting

My suggestion, and it comes from work with a lot of folks that are prepeared for human targets. Helmet mounted PVS-14 or 15. Weapons mounted Laser system-lotta options, your choice. Both weapons mounted AND hand held IR Illuminator.

That is a good people combo. You need to research the various equipment options. My personal weapon for property and life defense is a 6.8, NV eotech, suppressed weapon with a weapon mounted SF IR/white light combo. Behind the eotech I have enough room to mount a PVS-14 if necessary. The barrel on my 6.8 is total length of 16".

I hand carry a IR/white light also. Have several helmet set ups but the fav is equiped with a PVS-14, surefire M1 IR light and a small white light on the other side. Room under neath for Peltors and weight balance on the back. Works very well for me.

I also have several other set, but this is the best for home defense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hogrider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have several helmet set ups but the fav is equiped with a PVS-14, surefire M1 IR light and a small white light on the other side. Room under neath for Peltors and weight balance on the back. Works very well for me. </div></div>

What helmet setup(s) would you recommend? Ballistic or otherwise?

And how do you set them up for room to handle a over-the-head Peltor/Sordin headset?

TIA

I have opscore and PT helmets. By rearrainging the pads both will accept my peltors beneath them. Opscore easier than the PT. I am going to get a WEndy when I get back as I have a friend who has them and he gives good info and says they are top of the line, and work great with peltors.

Where I am now we use ballistic helmets, but hunting in Tx, no need for ballistic. Either carbon Fiber or hard plastic and they work great.

Good helmet info is all over this site as well as some good pics of various set ups.