• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob questions

Drago6

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2017
Finally getting into reloading, better late than never 🙃 Especially now with factory ammo being scarce and insanely expensive, and the ability to tailor the rounds to my specific barrel/usage.

The numbered list below is where I'm at currently in terms of equipment and some questions. Any comments/etc would be greatly appreciated

-Only planning on reloading for 6.5 cm and 6.5 grendel, possibly some 5.56 but that's low priority
-At this point will only be for use in semi auto AR platform rifles (need to get squared away in reloading before diving into bolt guns)
-Have powder (H4350), primers (CCI 200), bullets (140 eldm) and brass (Starline on backorder)

1.) As far as the press I have a RCBS Summit on backorder at Brownells, based on the reviews/comparisons it seems to have some nice variances from a basic single stage, and at a reasonable price. I'll also be picking up a RCBS hand priming tool once I find one.

2.) For dies I really like the look of the RCBS Matchmaster ones where you drop the bullet into the side/top, seems to pair perfectly with the Summit press. I've noticed there are specific "small base taper dies" marketed for AR platform use, are these recommended or should i stick with normal dies?

3.) For powder measuring I'm torn on whether I need/should buy an automatic one like the RCBS Chargemaster Lite for around $250'ish, or just a Uniflow type dispenser + trickler? The Uniflow + trickler + scale would be pretty close to the same price as a Chargemaster Lite so to my untrained eye it seems to make more sense to just buy the automated unit.

4.) For case prep I don't have specific items in the shopping cart yet, but unless otherwise convinced will be going with basic hand tools for doing this rather than one of the expensive automated/powered stations.

For #2, in the current situation, I would say to try the frankford arsenal universal seating die, it's a micrometer type with the drop in window. It will do most calibers, and in today's market, it's easier to find that than other cartridge specific dies. Get a sizing die on top for the specific cartridge and you might be good to go.

#3, go for the automatic, it will make loading so much better, you won't regret it and won't have wasted money on something else.

#4, even if you choose hand tools, get the type that can attach to a drill, you will be tired of those steps after one load session if everything was by hand.

The Frankford case prep unit looks neat, $170 shipped isnt terribly expensive either.