• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob to AR, need help.

Now a different question, what optic?! 😂 I have been looking closely at an acog 3.5 plus RMR set up but I have no experience with that optic and have read some things about reticle disappearance if you don’t have excellent vision, which I don’t I wear glasses. Any of you guys have experienced this?
Don't buy any optic made in China- they're our greatest external threat.

I'd forgo the magnification and go with an Aimpoint. Or get a non-Chicom LPVO and mount a non-Chicom dot optic on that.

Reactions: Islas82 and nn8734
Cant be stressed enough. Fuck anything 2A-related that’s chinese.
Yep. And the Feckin dem clowns who disagree actually think pointing to other industries the CCP has already stolen- like smart phones- is a justification to buy Chicom shooting gear- when it's actually a perfect reason to NOT buy Chicom shooting optics and gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: nn8734
I keep getting tempted to build some kind of AR10 but I am trying to be patient and wait for the Geissle 6ARC release next month.
I get tempered to build a 6ARC everytime I see it mentioned or discussed, lol.

I see the arguments against the LPVO on a carbine style rifle, how do you guys feel about Eotech+magnifier? Is it easy to take shots with that thing out to let’s say 400m? Due to the lack of reticle?

I see the arguments against the LPVO on a carbine style rifle, how do you guys feel about Eotech+magnifier? Is it easy to take shots with that thing out to let’s say 400m? Due to the lack of reticle?
Just my opinion but I don’t run Eotechs as their battery life sucks. Apart from that, the hold overs are great using the reticle, especially the EXPS 3-2 w/the additional dot. 400m is no problem, especially with a platform like yours (that is with an Aimpoint or Eotech and 3x magnifier)…There’s a specific hold over increment scale for that dot based on a 25 or 50m zero but I don’t recall what it is. I had one for about two years and sold it for Aimpoints as I hated the short battery life.

Reactions: Islas82
With an Eotech. Sounds like plinking to me
That’s exactly what it is (with an eotech/Aimpoint). At 400m, my hold is ~1/2 target high, still more or less plinking but more consistent.

My 450m dope w/the 77smk moving at 2800 fps at the muzzle is 3.1 mils.

What's your 500yd data for a 77 grain bullet going 2650 feet per second? 3.something mils? So that would be something like a 60" hold over? With an Eotech. Sounds like plinking to me
Haven’t shot the rifle yet so I don’t have that info yet.

The actual mil hold is rhetorical. The point is, how are you going to hold data with a singular dot at 380yds, 440, 526, or 478yds? 500yds is 59.4"/ 3.3mrad with a Hornady 75gr BTHP at 2670. So you're going to hold? A small female height over the target? A beer fridge height? 3 x 66% IPSCs height? Are you going to keep data in mils, inches, moa?

I would either do some sort of MRD/ Holo sight and use a 200yd zero. And then limit shots out to 300 or an LPVO with a mil reticle. Specifically an NX8. And then I could worry about lobbing rounds at 500yds.

Or you could blow some $ and buy a TACOM prism to go with an Aimpoint Micro. About what an NX8 would cost.
Good points, that’s why I think am leaning more towards a BDC style optic, I dont see myself shooting past 400m much so it’ll be perfect. A mil based reticle is also another thing am looking at since am used to Mils in my bolt guns. I was just curious as to what people thought about the holo/magnifying systems but am not set on that.

What barrel length are you shooting 77's at 2800 using 25gr A2520? Not a 14". I load that exact load and got 2770 out of an 18" Bartlein CLE chamber.
18” mk12.

I would imagine the dope for 2650 is 3.3-3.5ish in my area for 450m out of a 14.5” CL bbl, maybe a bit flatter for a 16” but that’s just guess work. I don’t keep dope for non-mag optics, just general hold over locations on a given steel target. I tossed that other figure out as a reference as its the only small frame platform i have for which i keep dope.

Just plinking is all it is…

Reactions: reubenski
I really don't like red dots + magnifiers. I've tried it. Maybe they're better these days but when I messed with them there was a lot of zero shift. They're bulky. They don't change the fact that you are still using a PBZ and have to hold in space. They just help you refine your sight picture. Which isn't nothing, but it's only half the solution. The TACOM prism is kinda cool. It shifts your PBZ from 200 or 300 to 400 or 500. And it's tiny and unobtrusive.

I've used the Elcan Specter for many years. It's heavy and 4x isn't a lot of magnification but imo it's the best of both worlds.
I love t1/t2s on carbines for general purpose use and use 200m zeros (i zero at 50 initially then refine it at 200) and work on my holds from basically point blank out to 300m with more of an emphasis on 200 and in.

I used to have a SpectreDR 1/4 with the 7.62 bdc and it worked like a swiss watch to 500m beyond which was a crap shoot (at least for me) but the weight eventually bugged me enough to dump it (though I wouldnt entirely rule out running it again w/ the RMR on top if i get the itch). I also like using my Aimpoints on their high rise mounts passively under bnvgs which i couldnt really do with lpvos and the elcan.

Magnifiers have their time/place but i usually keep mine in the pack.

Dumb question but Did you try centering the magnifier itself as they can be adjusted? I had some zero shift as well until i realized that).

I've used the Elcan Specter for many years. It's heavy and 4x isn't a lot of magnification but imo it's the best of both worlds.
My favorite multi-role carbine optic.

At the NRA show in Houston, the rep said mid 3k. I am not long range guy so I am bouncing between 14.5 or 16" barrels.
Hard pass. I’ve seen the SHOT footage and while impressive, Geissele is worth 2/3rd MSRP to me at most.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Not that I'm aware of, other than the handgaurd/upper receiver... But I don't own a DI version...I have an M6A1 (piston).
The monoforge upper and hand guard are proprietary, barrel and gas system on DI are otherwise mil-spec pattern. Otherwise the bolt catch and mag catch situation are proprietary. Not a whole lot of reason to mess with them very much, IMO.

Reactions: FuhQ
The monoforge upper and hand guard are proprietary, barrel and gas system on DI are otherwise mil-spec pattern. Otherwise the bolt catch and mag catch situation are proprietary. Not a whole lot of reason to mess with them very much, IMO.
Exactly. No need to mess with most of (if any) of it. Just slap an optic and a good light on it, add your other accessories, zero it, enjoy.

Folks these days don’t realize that not everything has to be a super tacticool couch-operator YouTube mall ninja level rig. 99% are just LARPing and will never need any of it. But it looks cool…And makes them feel legit. 😂

Reactions: jLorenzo
So I decided am gonna give the acog+RMR set up a try for this rifle, after looking at other options it made the most sense to me for the type of shooting I intend with this set up. I always use my glasses when shooting anyway so I think I’ll be fine. Wanna thank everyone on the thread, your opinions really helped me out.

Just remember that even in PMs, Buy/Sell/Trade is grounds for getting banned.

Am a bolt gun type of guy, I have owned a couple gas guns in the past but never really been serious about it and they all are now gone. I would like to add one to my safe now but am not really knowledgeable about the platform to make an educated decision.

Budget- $1,300-1500 bucks

My two requirements are reliability and accuracy, I don’t necessarily need a 1/4-1/2 moa gun but something respectable. 18” barrel would be nice but am ok with 16” nothing under that. What do I want to do with it? Mostly just range fun, trying to shot accurately to 300-700 yards but also have the comfort that if it’s starts raining Chinese men the rifle won’t let me down.

I would like something that’s out of the box ready to go as far as a good trigger, buffer system and BCG. Don’t really want to drop that kind of money to just have to replace parts.

P.S Yes am sure there’s 3000 threads similar to this one but I don’t care, this one is mine so don’t be a cunt.

Thanks!
I'm probably not up to your quality standards, but I've got a couple of M&P 15's that are just delights to shoot. Never any problems, and a fair number of rounds through them. I've got a Vortex BDC scope on one and a Vortex red dot on the other. Both guns seem to shoot better than the glass (and operator), and that's NOT belittling the glass. The one with the BDC scope shoots fine out to 500, don't have more range to practice on.

Of course I see dudes with upgraded guns and glass at the range dinging that 500 steel like it's 50 yards away.............

I run a ta33 and Aimpoint t1 and love the setup. The glass is so clear and 3x is better than you’d think. Glad you were steered away from the pa lpvo. I have one of those and I can see my target better with the 3x Acog than I can the pa on 6x. Their reticle is nice tho.

I run a ta33 and Aimpoint t1 and love the setup. The glass is so clear and 3x is better than you’d think. Glad you were steered away from the pa lpvo. I have one of those and I can see my target better with the 3x Acog than I can the pa on 6x. Their reticle is nice tho.
Yea man am excited too, can’t wait to get the thing mounted up.

Rock river arms makes some good stuff for your price range. You can buy a complete rifle with match SS barrel and 2 stage trigger. I know some of the models they guarantee or claim 3/4 moa at 100yds.

Also if you want some assembly buy a complete white oak upper. Then just put a good trigger in a lower and roll with it.

Essentially a great AR is just a good barrel and trigger.

The ta33 is small and has a ton of eye relief btw. Keeps it light and allows easier time behind the glass, if you haven’t ordered yours already

The ta33 is small and has a ton of eye relief btw. Keeps it light and allows easier time behind the glass, if you haven’t ordered yours already
I did, got the 3.5x I believe it’s the ta11 with a RMR and horseshoe reticle. I decided to go with that model because all I read/watch said it was the best of both worlds between 4x and 3x. Better eye relief than 4x and better FOV than 3x. Weight is not really an issue for me.

Reactions: FuhQ
I did, got the 3.5x I believe it’s the ta11 with a RMR and horseshoe reticle. I decided to go with that model because all I read/watch said it was the best of both worlds between 4x and 3x. Better eye relief than 4x and better FOV than 3x. Weight is not really an issue for me.
You’ll enjoy it. Fov was non issue for me as I shoot both eyes open with the Acog. Enjoy your new setup

Id grab a Primary Arms of choice with the griffin mil reticle if I was wanting to shoot out farther more often, if you not shooting past 300y often go with a red dot.

Here it is, pretty impressed.

Attachments

• E3238C40-977B-42B0-A798-43DC27AEFC77.jpeg
    E3238C40-977B-42B0-A798-43DC27AEFC77.jpeg
    746 KB · Views: 71
  • 99001492-32B9-4EFD-8962-3228CF11D879.jpeg
    99001492-32B9-4EFD-8962-3228CF11D879.jpeg
    846.3 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: FuhQ and Milf Dots
Which model is that? How is the eye relief?

Unrelated but I have always really like LWRC, they look so good.
It’s the TA-110 LED version. Eye relief seem comfortable, official spec is 2.4” I think is a bit more than that, gotta get it mounted/zeroed to really know. Got the LED version because I didn’t wanna be fiddling with the fiber optic and I prefer a non-illuminated reticle in most daylight situations. Am waiting on a TR2 stock that I will install on the LWRC then am GTG.

It’s the TA-110 LED version. Eye relief seem comfortable, official spec is 2.4” I think is a bit more than that, gotta get it mounted/zeroed to really know. Got the LED version because I didn’t wanna be fiddling with the fiber optic and I prefer a non-illuminated reticle in most daylight situations. Am waiting on a TR2 stock that I will install on the LWRC then am GTG.
That sounds like a great setup.

Got it all together now cleaned up ready for the range hopefully tomorrow. So I did have to sit the acog further back than I had originally planned, it didn’t cross my mind that the XLR cheek rest would interfere with the charging handle (duh!) so had to set the LOP further back to clear. Now that being said, it actually worked out for the best because LOP and eye relief are perfect in this configuration, there is the issue of a rear sight but I figured I can either put it in front or buy one of those Kram raisers, not sure if the ADM cantilever style mount will work on this acog but in reality not that big of a deal. Scope height is good, I wish I had a lil bit more but I still can get comfortably behind the scope and get a full clear picture.
C858D091-33FD-4F68-86E0-4566BE6A2E96.jpeg

If you really want BUIS as a third option in your PACE you could go offset when you're short of rail space. But honestly, as low as you HOB is(based on your cheek piece) you probably could've just gone with a MAGPUL MOE stock. I like the simplicity and light weight of them. Keep in mind, despite how general purpose BDC reticles are, when you start changing the height above bore it skews the ballistic even more.

Looks good tho. Shoot it and show us some groups 👍
Makes a lot of sense, thanks!

How did she shoot?
Just went out today, first 60 rounds. Shows promise held 1.5 moa at 100 meters with cheap 62gn Frontier FMJ ammo, was able to get hits on steel at 500 meters although hard to tell accuracy out there because of the 3.5x. But was very consistent at 300m and in. Acog is awesome, BDC is a bit off but you can adjust quickly. Rifle shot and felt great and is perfectly gassed making a nice pile of brass at 3 o’clock. Trigger in the other hand is atrocious, definitely needs to be replaced.

Just went out today, first 60 rounds. Shows promise held 1.5 moa at 100 meters with cheap 62gn Frontier FMJ ammo, was able to get hits on steel at 500 meters although hard to tell accuracy out there because of the 3.5x. But was very consistent at 300m and in. Acog is awesome, BDC is a bit off but you can adjust quickly. Rifle shot and felt great and is perfectly gassed making a nice pile of brass at 3 o’clock. Trigger in the other hand is atrocious, definitely needs to be replaced.
Good to hear! Get you a Rise Armament RA-434 trigger, and some KNS Precision anti-walk pins. That’s what I run in all my AR’s. And if you ever have any issues, their CS is absolutely top-notch. They also offer a satisfaction guarantee, and if you don’t like it, you can swap it for another model. 👍🏼

Just get a Larue MBT2S for sub $100 shipped from any number of places. Tool steel, two stage, heavy and light spring included.

Get a Geissele SSA-E trigger and be a happy MF'er.

If you prefer single stage over two stage- Geissele has those also.

I don't do LaRue because of them trying to cancel Frank @lowlight

Last edited:
Reactions: SmolPP and Islas82
Deleted for relevance.

Last edited:
I've run LaRue MBT-2's for a while and I like them for the price. Some triggers break 'like a carrot', the LaRue's break 'like a brick through a window', I don't know how to describe it. They're crisp but even the light spring feels fairly heavy. I just got a Triggertech and I really like it. Almost nonexistent first stage. AR Gold is also really nice.

Get a Geissele SSA-E and be done with your trigger problems. They are the best AR trigger that I've ever felt.

How do you guys feel about Triggertech triggers.
They're nice, I have one in my Christensen Arms Ranger 22, but it's not as light as I'd like it to be, but I haven't had a single issue with it. 👍🏼

I really prefer the Rise 434. Geissele is overrated mil-spec crap, IMO. Are they solid triggers? Yes, but grossly overrated and overhyped. Just my opinion, and I've shot a lot of them.