• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noobie to the hide. 700 sps questions

mortarguy5611

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2011
stearns county Minnesota
Hello everyone im new to the Hide and want to introduce myself im from Minnesota. Im in the National Guard and in the 34th ID currently serving overseas. I am looking at getting a remington 700 sps tactical and a nightforce 5.5-20 50. wondering if anyone has any oppinions on this rifle and any suggestions on bases and rings as well. I am just starting in the LR shooting i have been restricted to about 450 yards with a 700 sps in .270 getting sub half moa from 0 to 450 . But its time for something i can get out a little farther any suggestions? i want to get out to 1000

Re: Noobie to the hide. 700 sps questions

Welcome, don't be afraid to fill out your profile completely. Most will appreciate your trust to know where you call 'home' and how to contact you.

The package you suggest could fit nicely in your collection (even if just starting). I think a .308 sps is a good choice for these reasons:

match factory ammo to buy
any choice of upgrades, stock, trigger, etc...

As for the scope, I would recommend mil/mil (moa/moa is fine as well). There are so many choices with rings and mounts. Light weight and no rust, I choose alloy mounts/rings.

For example;

Seekins 20 moa pic rail (and rings)
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=9
Nightforce MED alloy rings (NFUL100)

Most of all, please look and use this link

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

take your time read, search different ways and you will find that your questions and others you will have already being talked about. Like, what is mil/mil etc...

Support these vendors on the Hide if you can

Go Red Bulls, be safe, don't get complacent.

I have one and love it. The factory stock is pretty cheesy but that's an easy fix. Welcome to the hide. lots of information here you just have to look for it and be prepared to read.

Thanks alot for the informations i will definately take a look at it. so i do understand the mil/ mill and moa on moa soncept being i have used optics with both witch is kind of a pain but it works. anyway im hoping that this rifle will work out well. i figure its a good rifle to build off of in the future ie, new stock new barrel trigger and such like you mentioned. ill just have to go buy it so i an test my skills at farther distances. thanks again

You are on the right track. I bought a 700 SPS tactical three years ago. The Hogue stock is garbage and went straight to the trash, replaced by an AICS 1.5. I like and highly recommend the Nightforce direct mount as an option. A 2 in 1, kind of pricey but works great. Remington barrels aren't bad so you should be good for a while. The trigger may or may not need to be tuned. Its a great starting platform and very accurate for the price paid as long as you use quality ammo. Best of luck

The stock is trash but the action and barrel are quite good. Check out mcrees precision they offer a slick chassis for this rifle that is more cost effective than a ai chassis.

im thinking of a bell and carlson medalist m40 stock it seems like a good fit to the rifle. any suggestions on detachable mag kits for it?

I would recommend the BC Medalist M40. I have a SPS Tactical too and put one on it and helped it out a lot. Rings you can go with Warne Tactical if you are on a budget but blackhawk rings are always nice too.

I started out myself with the .308 sps... I love it.. I considered it due to the amount of upgrades i could add to it as i progressed. I think you have the right idea going with NightForce.. I wish I would have bought a better scope the first time. For rings and base I went with seekins... No complaints what so ever! As for going out to 1000 yards; you shouldn't have a problem with the .308.. I just recently have begun shooting that distance and I am fairly pleased with my results..

If you're looking at a SPS TAC with a 20'' barrel and don't plan to do a lot of modding off the bat, you might want to consider the 700P. Comes with a 26'' heavy barrel and a H-S Precision stock from the start. The 26'' will help you with velocity over the 20''. The 700P is about $300 more than a SPS TAC. As far as rings or bases, people seem to lean either towards Seekins and Badger Ordinance. I'm going with a Badger setup myself. Good luck.

i do like the idea of the 700p with the longer barrel but i would still need a different stock because the comb on that stock isnt high enough for me with the 50mm Nightforce so i wouldnt have a good cheak to stock weld. is getting just a barreled action an option? or do you have to buy it with the stock? also what is the difference between the 700p and the sps tac other that the length of the barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mortarguy5611</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i do like the idea of the 700p with the longer barrel but i would still need a different stock because the comb on that stock isnt high enough for me with the 50mm Nightforce so i wouldnt have a good cheak to stock weld. is getting just a barreled action an option? or do you have to buy it with the stock? </div></div>

You can always build up the comb of the stock or buy a adjustable cheek rest. This is and and cheep option if your not apposed to drilling holes in your stock. http://www.snipercentral.com/karsten.htm
When it comes to the barreled action, if you watch the firearms for sale and options and acessories for sale forums, you will find a barreled action eventually. Here's an example. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2575279
Start by using the custom google search, see below.
Or if a rifle comes up for sale and doesnt sell right away there's no harm in asking if they would split up the rifle and sell you the barreled action by itself.

yeah i have decided to go with the 700p and ill just put an adjustable comb on the HS that comes with the gun. thanks alot for all the imput but does anyone has a suggestion on what brand to use for a detachable mag?

Nightforce are great scopes. As for rings, nightforce ultralights are nice. Or you can try Badger Ordinance or Seekins precision...same applies to bases.

well i ordered a 700P in .308 last night for 884 including shipping that seems like a good price. now i just have to wait the two months till i go home on leave and get to touch it lol ill post pics when i can thanks for all the info guys

Sounds like a good price if it's a new rifle you are talking about. I'm was debating between the SPS and the 700P as well. When you figure in changing the stock on the SPS, you aren't far off (or over depending on what stock) the price of the 700P. I think you made a good choice.

I have the Seekins bottom medal in mine and have had zero issues.
Just be aware that unless you are machine savvy and have access to a mill. You are going to have to have a gunsmith or machinist install the bottom medal. They are not a drop in upgrade....

I just got back from a range test of my brand-new Rem 700 SPS Varmint (26" heavy barrel) in .308 Win. I picked this up yesterday in a package deal using all the elements of last week's sale to get $214 off the $898 price of the rifle + Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope. Also Rem has a $40 rebate on the rifle so my net cost will be $644 for rifle and scope.

As to the range test, the stock rifle, stocked with a stock stock (please forgive the puns) shot 3/4" 3-shot groups with my standard .308 Win match loads (42.0gr of RL-15 under a 168gr Sierra Match King) and successive 1/2" 3-shot groups with my 150gr match loads (43.5gr RL-15 under a 150 gr SMK). Rem says the action and barrel are the same as the 700P...accordingly, I'll recommend both with no reservations. Interestingly, I get slightly better accuracy (1/2" with the 168gr SMKs and 0.35" with the 150 gr SMK) from my stock stocked R700 SPS SS with the same model scope.

I'll be tinkering a bit with the loads for the new rifle to see if I can get it a bit tighter; the next step will be a new stock (I'm leaning toward a McMillan A5 or B&C Medalist but be considering an AI). I was going to restock my SPS SS but, with the results I'm getting, I haven't done so to date.

I got the new SPS-V to make it into a long-range project rifle...new stock, glass and tune-up, barrel and bottom metal. Not sure, however, if a cost benefit analysis will justify all of the work...it's a shooter right now.

FH

PS- As I'm turning 65, I'm struggling to justify a really top end rifle as my competition days are behind me.

Like said above, the stocks are trash..But, mine still shot quite well, under 1 minute @ 100.

Save your money and buy what you really want the FIRST time. I went thru 2-3 scopes before i finally settled on a Nightforce. And 2 stocks before i settled on a Mcmillan. I'm not saying one thing is better than the next, but if you have your heart set on something, go get it.....Good luck!!

On a heavy recoil I like my Seekins rings because they have 2 screws on the base rather than 1 big one. Just a little extra insurance.

Yes it is a new rifle so. And as for stocks i will stick with the factory stock for now but i will end up putting a BC Medalist M40 on it. I really like the adjustablity of it and for under 425 dollars hard to beat

I had also looked at the SPS Varmint as well but i decided the 700P was was i wanted so i just figured i would get what i wanted right away. I will be turning 23 in november and im just getting into this so i want to get something that will be able to outshoot me for a while. Im going to start reloading right when i get home from the sandbox. So that will be a fun adventure finding something that shoots well through it. I hope i can get it to shoot as well as my 700 sps in .270. with factory Federal Premium with 130 grain Nozler balistic tip im shooing 3/8 inch groups or better and 1 1/2 at 420 yards. 420 is the farthest range i have available for now. if anyone knows anywhere to shoot farther in minnesota let me know. i will also be getting a new bottom metal but im not sure witch i should get i read alot of poeple are haveing good luck with the HS has anyone had experience with them or any others?

So the sps varmit has the same barrel as the 700P? i thought the varmit had a triangular barrel? I thought i read somewhere that the 700 P had the same barrel as the M24 but i maybe mistaken.any one know for sure?

Welcome to the hide and the addiction. You can look in the Sniper's Hide member link-up to find other shooters in MN. Look's like there are several shooters in your state.

For bottom metal, go with CDI Precision DBM and Alpha mags. They are well built and won't break the bank. Look them up with the search function and read the reviews, you won't be disappointed.

Welcome to the Hide, appreciate your service to this country and have a good one.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this post. I ended up buying a 700P, I added a karstens adjustable cheep piece with a EGW bolt knob, KnightForce rings and 20 MOA base with a Vortex PST 6-24-50 FFP MOA/MOA and a harris bipod. I will post pics as soon as i get back home from the sandbox for leave in about a month. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Sounds like you are off to a great start. My NXS is probably the best gun related purchase ive ever made. Good on you for doing it right the first time.

I started out with a Rem 5R with that same scope. I agree to keep the reticle and turrets the same. MOA/MOA is a great start because the math is a lot easier if you range estimate or are used to yards. If you like meters better get mil/mil. I suggest an EGW 20 MOA base is a good price for a starter and get great rings such as Leupold or Badgers. Get a solid bipod such as a Harris and a rear bag. Last but not least get a data book and you are good to go for 1000 yds in a 308 rifle.

I started with a 700 SPS Lt Tactical (1:10 20" Fluted) in .308 myself not long ago. NF 20MOA Direct Mount, Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20 TMR with M5 turrets in a 1.5 AICS.

Though I wasn't looking to obtain even a good zero while breaking it in with some rather halfhearted reloads (44.0 Varget under 168 Hornady BTHPs, BR2s, W-W brass - 2595 fps), it showed promise with consistent three-shot cloverleafs or better at 100 yards, a hair under 1/2" at 200 (and my original plan was to ditch this load?). Looking forward to pushing the range out and seeing how things look then.

I'm quite impressed with the setup so far - and thankful a resource like this forum existed to help make the decisions.

Hope your experience is as good as mine has been. Give 'em hell Red Bulls!

First of all, thanks for your service !!!

We are essentially in the exact same situation, and on the same track. I am maybe 2-3 weeks ahead of your actions. I am new to LR shooting as well, but I'm being guided by my brother who is an LEO sniper and competes nationally with a KMW .308 from Terry and often places very well, if not 1st. Obviously, he has close to $8K in his rifle, I want to spend maybe $3000 to $3500.

My build started 3 months ago:

I started with a 700P in .308 I bought slightly used for $700. Next was a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP mil/mil ($800), EGW rings used ($75) and a Warne 20 MOA base used ($75).

As for the caliber, the .308 will easily shoot to 1000 yds and longer, the flight path just has a bit more arc than other cartridges like the 338 and the 6.5's. But, ammo is cheaper and easier to find.

As for NightForce scope, rings, and base, my brother WILL NOT use any other manufacturer. Not that USO, S&B, etc, aren't good, they are....just his opinion.

On the way next week is a McRee folding TMAG stock. This eliminates the need for bottom metal and the inletting that comes with it. I would also look at an AICS or KMW if you have the $$$. A little expensive, but what everyone says is true...buy what you want...and..."buy once, cry once". I initially wanted to build my .308 for less than $2,000, but its just not worth it. When you start shooting out to 1000 yards, every component of the rifle plays a role in accuracy. Even if it takes longer to finish, it's well worth buying quality stuff the first time.

Again, these are opinions and I am not the most knowledgeable guy on here, but we seem to be putting together very similar rifles.

OK, for accuracy, I have been using crap ammo and hitting a 8" plate at 300 yards easily with the stock 700P barrel. My brother is placing 3 rounds touching each other at 300 yards with the same crap ammo.

After my first competition next weekend, I will be sending the bolt to Terry at KMW for his bolt knob, and the barrel will be cut down to 22" and threaded for a suppressor.

Have fun.

I think you are on the perfect track to building a great first rifle. I have asked so many questions on what to get, this is where I landed and you seem to be doing the same.

25zjw1v.jpg

dc4ehk.jpg

33ff213.jpg

Hey guys thanks again for more info and thanks Buzhole for the pics. It looks great. I just cant wait to get home in November for my R&R and get to use it. I had everything sent directly to my smith so he can have it ready to go for me whn i get home. ie putting on the egw bolt knob tuning the factory trigger and then just mounting up my scope and installing my karstens adjustable cheek rest. that way when i get home all i have to do is pull the trigger haha.

hey buzhole how are you likeing you PST? just curious I dont know anyone personally who even owns a vortex at all so its always nice to hear about experiences people have had with the equipment your buying.