• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Norma golden target match?

KYyeeter

Did you see the size of that chicken
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2019
Wondering if anyone has gotten any of this in 6creed recently and how it performed? I don’t reload and usually shoot hornady. Just seeing what other good options may be out there. This is specifically for prs.

Reactions: 338dude
You ain’t wrong. Good enough for me anyways, not like I’m breaking into the top 100, lol

I never got my hands on it.

Ok gents. I got 3 boxes from optic planet. I sleuthed the load , (pulled the bullets down and weighed the powder, projectile, and primed brass) on the rounds. 41.3,41.5,41.6 gr of a short-med graphite color stick powder. Looks ver similar to AA-4350. I got avg velocity of 2900 fps with a 20” barrel. Accuracy is 3/4” at 100. That’s about as good of a shooter I am with good Hand loads. POI was very close to my zero with my Peterson SRP , 41.8 gr H4350 112 match burners that also give me 2900. For reference other factory loads; Hornady black have me 2800 fps with a. 20” bbl. Sierra was 2785 with an es of 25 and consistent 40.0 gr charges of a nearly identical powder.

Last edited:
Ok gents. I got 3 boxes from optic planet. I sleuthed the load , (pulled the bullets down and weighed the powder, projectile, and primed brass) on the rounds. 41.3,41.5,41.6 gr of a short-med graphite color stick powder. Looks ver similar to AA-4350. I got avg velocity of 2900 fps with a 20” barrel. Accuracy is 3/4” at 100. That’s about as good of a shooter I am with good Hand loads. POI was very close to my zero with my Peterson SRP , 41.8 gr H4350 112 match burners that also give me 2900. For reference other factory loads; Hornady black have me 2800 fps with a. 20” bbl. Sierra was 2785 with an es of 25 and consistent 40.0 gr charges of a nearly identical powder.
thanks for all your hard work!

if you dont mind, what lot number did you get?

What kind of ES/SDs and how many over the chronograph?

2875, 2880,2934,2900, 2890

Not the best es but that’s just from the one shot. I only chrono’d 5 shots.

Lot is
0030967-01

I tried adding pictures and a video but I’m doing something wrong apparently

I don’t know my lot number at the moment but I think a call to Norma is order for me. I shot five rounds and they are hot, hot, hot! First round showed 3198 on the LabRadar and the next three were in the 3130 range. The last shot didn’t register, but the primer fell out when I ejected the round. The group was probably 2”. 5 rounds of Berger 105 ammo gave me a 2995 five round average and that is normal in this barrel.

Had anyone else had such speed with their Norma 6 Creedmoor ammunition?

Reactions: smtitmelevi
I found my high pressure cause in the Norma Precision Match ammunition I have. First, let me say this was no fault of Norma’s. Secondly, I’m disappointed in myself for not figuring this out earlier.

So what is the problem? There really isn’t a problem per se, it’s a compatibility issue. My barrel is a Shilen chambered with their spec reamer which uses a .275” neck. My Norma ammunition measures .2745” to .2750”. There is no room for the bullet to release properly. The grip on the bullet is such that it’s causing high pressure to build before the bullet is finally forced out of the case and down the barrel.

I was talking with my buddy tonight about the high pressures I was having and it made me think about what I would check if this was ammunition I was hand loading. Then it dawned on my that this is acting like rounds that have too little neck clearance. That made me think about a post Northland Shooters Supply made about the Shilen reamers and how the neck was smalller than SAAMI spec. SAAMI is .277” and Shilen uses .275”. I went home and measure my loaded factory rounds and there it was. My barrels not compatible with this ammo. My fired case necks were smaller than loaded rounds.

Not all is lost though. I have a bunch of Hornady Black ammo and it measures .271” loaded so I can use that and reload those cases in this barrel. Buy time it’s loaded it a few times it will be time for another barrel anyway.

I have another 6 Creedmoor with SAAMI spec chamber so I should be able to shoot up the Norma ammo in it.

Moral of the story, make sure everything is compatible before you go too far off the beaten path.

I found my high pressure cause in the Norma Precision Match ammunition I have. First, let me say this was no fault of Norma’s. Secondly, I’m disappointed in myself for not figuring this out earlier.

So what is the problem? There really isn’t a problem per se, it’s a compatibility issue. My barrel is a Shilen chambered with their spec reamer which uses a .275” neck. My Norma ammunition measures .2745” to .2750”. There is no room for the bullet to release properly. The grip on the bullet is such that it’s causing high pressure to build before the bullet is finally forced out of the case and down the barrel.

I was talking with my buddy tonight about the high pressures I was having and it made me think about what I would check if this was ammunition I was hand loading. Then it dawned on my that this is acting like rounds that have too little neck clearance. That made me think about a post Northland Shooters Supply made about the Shilen reamers and how the neck was smalller than SAAMI spec. SAAMI is .277” and Shilen uses .275”. I went home and measure my loaded factory rounds and there it was. My barrels not compatible with this ammo. My fired case necks were smaller than loaded rounds.

Not all is lost though. I have a bunch of Hornady Black ammo and it measures .271” loaded so I can use that and reload those cases in this barrel. Buy time it’s loaded it a few times it will be time for another barrel anyway.

I have another 6 Creedmoor with SAAMI spec chamber so I should be able to shoot up the Norma ammo in it.

Moral of the story, make sure everything is compatible before you go too far off the beaten path.
Ive seen similar reviews about the Barnes 112 match ammo. kinda crappy to need a cartridge comparator for any factory load. thanks for the info., I had a similar experience with some 115 Nosler RDF's at 2.775 that I handloaded

I don’t think it’s really a Norma problem. It would be close in a SAAMI chamber, but should work. My barrel doesn’t have a SAAMI chamber and should be okay with most brass, but not this time with this Norma brass.

I’ve had two other barrels, one in BR and one 25 Creedmoor that we’re supposed to be “No-Turn” barrels and they weren’t with the brass I was using. I chalk it up to tolerances.

Reviving this old one, curious if anyone else has had this issue? I ordered some of this ammo as my barrel is getting chambered. Smith says his SAAMI reamer should give me a roughly 0.2765" neck. Actual ammo measures the same as posted above. While i'll at least have some clearance, it doesn't seem like enough.. Why the hell would Norma make the necks so thick?

I’d also like to revive this old one. Has anyone else tested or shot this 6 Creed Norma Golden Match recently? It seems to be readily available right now and significantly less expensive than the competition. And if it is actually loaded with Norma brass, it’s light years better than saving/using the Hornady fired brass from the 108 ELD’s I’m currently shooting out of my PVA barrel.

I have shot a case of the 6.5 CM Norma Golden Target. It does indeed come with Norma brass. Averaged a bit slow from a 24” barrel, 2650 fps, 50 ES with 17 SD and about .7” groups. Pretty decent ammo for the price. Not sure if the 6 Creedmoor would be much different.

I’d also like to revive this old one. Has anyone else tested or shot this 6 Creed Norma Golden Match recently? It seems to be readily available right now and significantly less expensive than the competition. And if it is actually loaded with Norma brass, it’s light years better than saving/using the Hornady fired brass from the 108 ELD’s I’m currently shooting out of my PVA barrel.

I'm not convinced the norma brass is a good thing in the case of the 6 creed unless you have a chamber with a large neck dimension..

I'm not convinced the norma brass is a good thing in the case of the 6 creed unless you have a chamber with a large neck dimension..
IMO the chamber needs a SAAMI sized neck, .277”, if the batch of Norma 6 Creedmoor ammo I have is typical. They have .2745”-.275” necks. I typically like more clearance than that, but it seems to be fine in my PVA chambered barrel. @bohem could answer if they use a SAAMI sized neck or larger. I have another barrel I ordered with .278” neck and it works fine as well. My Shilen with .275” neck was giving me fits until I figured out I was using incompatible items.

Reactions: Boogieman84
6cm Norma 107
5 shots @ 556y

5E70B31B-1067-45D6-81FB-D1CFCB4BC653.jpeg
3B67D109-C79C-47FD-AA0E-093C58028FD4.jpeg

Last edited:
This is 20 shots of Norma Match 107 from a 26” Proof prefit.

Attachments

• A4487E3C-9157-4C50-BC9B-B92FF6BE6E5F.png
    A4487E3C-9157-4C50-BC9B-B92FF6BE6E5F.png
    633.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
It shoots really good. I had a 1 hole group at a 100yds. SD of 9 and ES of 22..... 6 creed Curtis action and barrel. 1:7 26" 3025 average velocity

Update just went and tested this ammo out to 1020. Very solid. Put 5 out 5 on a 20-30 ipstik

I have shot hecouldgoalltheway’s rig and was very impressed. That set up is a shooter!

Sorry I’m late to the party, just seeing all the replies now. Super positive feedback from everyone. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you @HD1911 for providing the chrono data.

Seems like a no-brainer. Time to stock up.

Reactions: BWoody and HD1911
My experience has been with this in 6.5 prc flavor, and it shot very well in my bone stock browning xbolt. I didn't chrono it since it was a brand new gun and had no use for it other than sighting in and getting used to the gun. Great ammo though, and won't hesitate to get more of it.

Hi, all. I'm not finding much info on the Norma 6CM Golden Target. I bought some to try and COAL is only 2.600". Seems ridiculously short, bullet is obviously seated very, very deep. In the pic: Norma on the left next to Sierra Competition 107gr 2.730", Berger 105gr Hybrid 2.789" and Hornady Match 108gr 2.794" (all factory loads). Is this typical for this ammo or do i have a grossly defective lot? No response from Norma yet. Like others have said, 0.275" neck. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20231207_234208.jpg
    20231207_234208.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231208_003420.jpg
    20231208_003420.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hi, all. I'm not finding much info on the Norma 6CM Golden Target. I bought some to try and COAL is only 2.600". Seems ridiculously short, bullet is obviously seated very, very deep. In the pic: Norma on the left next to Sierra Competition 107gr 2.730", Berger 105gr Hybrid 2.789" and Hornady Match 108gr 2.794" (all factory loads). Is this typical for this ammo or do i have a grossly defective lot? No response from Norma yet. Like others have said, 0.275" neck. Thanks.

Yeah, that seems out of whack! I just measured one of my factory 107 golden target rounds @ 2.742" COAL. Dont know WTF Norma's deal is on this 6 creed ammo. Between the very thick necks and your COAL issue, i'm surprised they sell stuff like this.

Yeah, that seems out of whack! I just measured one of my factory 107 golden target rounds @ 2.742" COAL. Dont know WTF Norma's deal is on this 6 creed ammo. Between the very thick necks and your COAL issue, i'm surprised they sell stuff like this.
Thanks for the measurements, wind gypsy! I'll call Norma.

Do you have a lot number for the short ammo? Recent purchase? Thanks
Arrived this week. I don't know if this is the lot number. If not, let me know where to look, please.

Attachments

• 20231208_113903.jpg
    20231208_113903.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 27
I think that’s it. I’ll check mine when I get home next week.

FWIW, my seating depths weren’t near as deep as yours but they had about .060 spread in a 20rnd box. 5 round groups were 1moa at best. I sorted them in 5 round lots according to seating depth +/-.004” (about 6-7 lots) and shot them. All lots shot substantially better after being sorted, with the lot that was CBTO .100” off the lands shooting about .4moa. Fortunately for me I was able to re-seat about 95% of the factory ammo and it has consistently held .5moa or better.

A bit of a pain for factory ammo, but a quick fix once I figured it out.

I’ll get the exact numbers when I get home and post them.

Herder-