• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Norma XTREME LR-22 Ammo

whatsupdoc

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Dec 12, 2017
    Seems Norma is trying to get into the Rimfire long range game.

NORMA​

Norma ammo

Norma’s “rocket tail” bullet is a unique new .22 LR development, with claims of consistent hits on a 12-inch plate at 600 yards.

Norma’s XTREME LR-22—with a patented 43-grain bullet specifically designed for 300 yards and beyond—is an exciting new development in match .22 LR ammo. During Norma tests conducted with a Vudoo match rifle, these bullets consistently struck a 12-inch plate at 600 yards. The bullet features an unusual configuration of a hollow base bullet with a cone inside, the point of the cone pointing backward and flush with the bullet’s base. Norma said this “rocket tail” bullet configuration results in less negative pressure at the tail, minimizing drag and deceleration. Norma also claims flatter and more stable bullet trajectory, even though starting velocity is slightly supersonic at about 1,165 f.p.s. and the bullet must withstand that downrange transonic “wall” that causes bullets to depart stable flight. The 43-grain bullet’s increased mass also reduces sensitivity to crosswind. MSRP is $9.69 per 50-round box. norma-ammunition.com

I got excited and thought it was finally available for me to play with. Maybe when the RWS R Plus Long Range drops this will be right on it’s heels since it’s the same just packaged for Norma with possibly a different grade assigned to it.

Be interesting to know exactly what the new tail and bullet shape actually did as far as b.c.

Anyone see this in the wild yet. Would be fun to try.
    Nope, I keep looking around the intardwebs to see who has what available, have yet to come across anyone listing it in their inventory, even as "sold out" or "out of stock".

I bought a brick of their subs, and they shot pretty good out of my Summit. I didn’t chrono them or measure groups, but it seemed much better than normal plink. They were around 1” at 50yds with virtually no flyers.
    I‘m sure they can’t be better than the SK long range, but at that price if it shoots like the subs it’s a win.

I got excited and thought it was finally available for me to play with. Maybe when the RWS R Plus Long Range drops this will be right on it’s heels since it’s the same just packaged for Norma with possibly a different grade assigned to it.
    I just got notice that the Norma XTreme LR - 22 is available at Bullet Central. I ordered 5 boxes @ $13 ea. Note that RWS manufactures all of Norma's rimfire product offerings.

midwest gun $9.99/box. will try 2 bricks and see. if it's hot stuff for 300,100 should look good?

Last edited:
    Now that it's released for $25/box, I'd be interested to see if it's really worth dropping the $8 or so more over say Center X.

Now that it's released for $25/box, I'd be interested to see if it's really worth dropping the $8 or so more over say Center X.
    I think that the design is strictly long range and not the 50+ or 100+ yards. Rather 400+ yards. I think that the ballistics will be different. So people pay 50¢ a round for .223 to shoot the same distance, so I don't really think that this ammo is outrageously priced (IMHO). I did get 5 boxes a week ago, now I'm waiting on decent weather to try it out at 300 yards and see using a CZ 455 varmint and a 1451 Annie. I for one am excited to see a firm try to do something with the venerable .22lr.

Long range they say, fine. Why not publish the BC of this ammo?

Seems Norma is trying to get into the Rimfire long range game.

NORMA​

Norma ammo

Norma’s “rocket tail” bullet is a unique new .22 LR development, with claims of consistent hits on a 12-inch plate at 600 yards.

Norma’s XTREME LR-22—with a patented 43-grain bullet specifically designed for 300 yards and beyond—is an exciting new development in match .22 LR ammo. During Norma tests conducted with a Vudoo match rifle, these bullets consistently struck a 12-inch plate at 600 yards. The bullet features an unusual configuration of a hollow base bullet with a cone inside, the point of the cone pointing backward and flush with the bullet’s base. Norma said this “rocket tail” bullet configuration results in less negative pressure at the tail, minimizing drag and deceleration. Norma also claims flatter and more stable bullet trajectory, even though starting velocity is slightly supersonic at about 1,165 f.p.s. and the bullet must withstand that downrange transonic “wall” that causes bullets to depart stable flight. The 43-grain bullet’s increased mass also reduces sensitivity to crosswind. MSRP is $9.69 per 50-round box. norma-ammunition.com
    So what is the Ballistic Coefficient of this product? And what happened to the M.S.R.P. OF $10.00 PER BOX ??

I think that the design is strictly long range and not the 50+ or 100+ yards. Rather 400+ yards. I think that the ballistics will be different. So people pay 50¢ a round for .223 to shoot the same distance, so I don't really think that this ammo is outrageously priced (IMHO). I did get 5 boxes a week ago, now I'm waiting on decent weather to try it out at 300 yards and see using a CZ 455 varmint and a 1451 Annie. I for one am excited to see a firm try to do something with the venerable .22lr.
    Do share how it goes. Ranges near me max out at 300 so I'm a little land locked.

So what is the Ballistic Coefficient of this product? And what happened to the M.S.R.P. OF $10.00 PER BOX ??
    If its similar to RWS Long range the BC is 0.137 https://rws-ammunition.com/en/products/rimfire-cartridges/rws-r-plus-long-range
    As for price...wish it was lower but if it doesn't perform I imagine price will go down when its on clearance
    Actually the new Norma ammo now says 1312fps which is quite a bit more than it showed before and the RWS Long range

Last edited:
    People do some awesome shooting at 300 with Center X priced ammo. I wouldn't pay 25 per box to shoot 300 yards, just me.
    I tested some of this ammo at 400 yards, going off ballistic app, I estimated the BC on a 45 deg day to be close to .135, with a 1150 MV.

Musing here, it seems scary to think if Norma wants 25 per box, what is the RWS equivalent going to come in at.

People do some awesome shooting at 300 with Center X priced ammo. I wouldn't pay 25 per box to shoot 300 yards, just me.
    I tested some of this ammo at 400 yards, going off ballistic app, I estimated the BC on a 45 deg day to be close to .135, with a 1150 MV.

Musing here, it seems scary to think if Norma wants 25 per box, what is the RWS equivalent going to come in at.
    Original MSRP was advertised at $10/box. But Norma/RWS delayed open sales for about 2 years. So I think that the demand and pricing has been based on WOW factor. They'd best be careful. There is a company in the Great NW that is manufacturing machined monolithic copper .22lr in a spitzer shaped bullets for less that this pricing. Awesome ballistics but::::: your barrel needs a 1:10 or faster twist rate.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
    I just bought 20 boxes today......when its not below zero in TX, and I have time I'll test these out properly.