• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors North Carolina procedure for suppressor

Re: North Carolina procedure for suppressor

Your local class III dealer will have all the paperwork worded correctly. Get up with them...carry it to your sheriff's office.....carry it back to dealer with 2 passport photos for each item and mail it off. Wait 5 months. If you opt to do it on your own go to the website majormalfunction and in their links they have downloads of the paperwork. I use Gunner's Choice in Dunn, NC....I am sure there are some decent ones in your area.

Yes. I'm from NC and have several suppressors. Depending on where you are, you should find a good dealer. This is the depending factor because you may need to go to Raleigh. Personal Defense Dandgun Safety Center is where I went. Talk to Mike, their Class III guy. He should be able to get you a price quote. From there, you need to call up your sheriff (as in most counties) and discuss whether or not he will sign your form 4's. If he has questions answer them in an honest manner and make sure you know what you're talking about. I live in Alamance and Sheriff Johnson was willing to sign mine but only given my background, clearance, and family relationship with the LE community. Now, if the Sheriff (not a deputy but an elected official, your 'chief LEO') will not sign, you can go to the district attorney or any other county prosecuting attorney.

Basically, they are signing that you do not have a criminal record, you are not violating NC or Federal law, and that you are using the suppressor for legal purposes.

In NC, state law requires you, as a civilian, to be a collector, inventor or researcher for scientific purposes, or a dealer. Now, as a collector, the only real 'collector' license is a C&R license, which has nothing to do with suppressors. I am a DOD contractor and afirearms instructor, and my ownership falls under the R&D category. So, if you can justify 'collector' then you won't have any problem. Once again, your Chief LEO is not signing off that he "wants" you to have a suppressor, but whether or not you are adhering to NC law by owning one.

So, set up a meeting, phone or in person, and determine whether or not your CLEO will sign. If he will, the next step is to order your suppressor through your class III dealer. Every suppressor manufacturer's website will have a list of dealers in the state, but from personal experience, PDHSC in Raliegh is good to go. Mike wasn't an arrogant prick like a lot of dealers, he knew what he was talking about, and worked with me quite nicely. I was also a scheduling neucance since I was back and forth from Afghanistan during my purchase.

Next, once you make your purchase, your dealer will give you 2 copies of ATF Form 4's. You will need to get two passport photo's (normally come in sheets of 6 at CVS, etc.). Also, you will have to get fingerprinted (2 copies). The Sheriff's office will probably want to do this electronically--a scan, as they can print it off and keep it on their files. Gay, but whatever. So, now that you have your ATF Form 4's, which are filled out with your suppressor's serial number's, your fingerprint cards, and your passport photos, your sheriff can now sign off. Won't take too long, so have good conversation.

Now, everything is ready for the ATF. In NC, your files will probably go to the NFA branch of the ATF in GA. Take your forms to your dealer, and for every suppressor have a money order for $200 USD. This is for your tax stamp, which is required for every can. Also, if you go to PDHSC in Raleigh, just bring them the $200 and they'll send it all together. You'll get a copy (that they'll make along with a receipt), they'll keep a copy, and the ATF will get a copy.

It will take about 2-5 months, longer than advertised because of the high purchase rates since 2008, but if everything is filled out correctly, it should come back approved. Once it does, go pick up your can.

I know this sounds complicated as hell but it's really not that bad. A little bit of driving and appointments, but if you really want a suppressor, it's worth it.

Also, I don't work for PDHSC, but I do have good remarks for the service I got, as well as their selection. Prices on other stuff can be better, but for suppressors it wasn't that bad. They sell Surefire, Gemtech, AAC, and I believe they also sell AWC. They also have several Gemtech's and Surefire's in stock and will let you test a couple if you want (don't quote me on that because I don't know if they still do). Anyways, good luck and if you have any other questions PM me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarolinaExPat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes. I'm from NC and have several suppressors. Depending on where you are, you should find a good dealer. This is the depending factor because you may need to go to Raleigh. Personal Defense Dandgun Safety Center is where I went. Talk to Mike, their Class III guy. He should be able to get you a price quote. From there, you need to call up your sheriff (as in most counties) and discuss whether or not he will sign your form 4's. If he has questions answer them in an honest manner and make sure you know what you're talking about. I live in Alamance and Sheriff Johnson was willing to sign mine but only given my background, clearance, and family relationship with the LE community. Now, if the Sheriff (not a deputy but an elected official, your 'chief LEO') will not sign, you can go to the district attorney or any other county prosecuting attorney.

Basically, they are signing that you do not have a criminal record, you are not violating NC or Federal law, and that you are using the suppressor for legal purposes.

In NC, state law requires you, as a civilian, to be a collector, inventor or researcher for scientific purposes, or a dealer. Now, as a collector, the only real 'collector' license is a C&R license, which has nothing to do with suppressors. I am a DOD contractor and afirearms instructor, and my ownership falls under the R&D category. So, if you can justify 'collector' then you won't have any problem. Once again, your Chief LEO is not signing off that he "wants" you to have a suppressor, but whether or not you are adhering to NC law by owning one.

So, set up a meeting, phone or in person, and determine whether or not your CLEO will sign. If he will, the next step is to order your suppressor through your class III dealer. Every suppressor manufacturer's website will have a list of dealers in the state, but from personal experience, PDHSC in Raliegh is good to go. Mike wasn't an arrogant prick like a lot of dealers, he knew what he was talking about, and worked with me quite nicely. I was also a scheduling neucance since I was back and forth from Afghanistan during my purchase.

Next, once you make your purchase, your dealer will give you 2 copies of ATF Form 4's. You will need to get two passport photo's (normally come in sheets of 6 at CVS, etc.). Also, you will have to get fingerprinted (2 copies). The Sheriff's office will probably want to do this electronically--a scan, as they can print it off and keep it on their files. Gay, but whatever. So, now that you have your ATF Form 4's, which are filled out with your suppressor's serial number's, your fingerprint cards, and your passport photos, your sheriff can now sign off. Won't take too long, so have good conversation.

Now, everything is ready for the ATF. In NC, your files will probably go to the NFA branch of the ATF in GA. Take your forms to your dealer, and for every suppressor have a money order for $200 USD. This is for your tax stamp, which is required for every can. Also, if you go to PDHSC in Raleigh, just bring them the $200 and they'll send it all together. You'll get a copy (that they'll make along with a receipt), they'll keep a copy, and the ATF will get a copy.

It will take about 2-5 months, longer than advertised because of the high purchase rates since 2008, but if everything is filled out correctly, it should come back approved. Once it does, go pick up your can.

I know this sounds complicated as hell but it's really not that bad. A little bit of driving and appointments, but if you really want a suppressor, it's worth it.

Also, I don't work for PDHSC, but I do have good remarks for the service I got, as well as their selection. Prices on other stuff can be better, but for suppressors it wasn't that bad. They sell Surefire, Gemtech, AAC, and I believe they also sell AWC. They also have several Gemtech's and Surefire's in stock and will let you test a couple if you want (don't quote me on that because I don't know if they still do). Anyways, good luck and if you have any other questions PM me. </div></div>

Last I talked to Mike, (about a year ago) he WILL NOT do a suppressor transfer to someone using a Trust or Corporation. He gave me some excuse about the Wake Co. Sheriff giving him some issues, and I don't want to make any assumptions, but either he was full of it, or the Sheriff thinks he can bully people into getting things his way. If you are in Wake Co. the Sheriff will not sign off, nor will any of the CLEO's I spoke with. Do yourself a favor and skip that whole mess. Go see a Trust Lawyer and have a Revocable Living Trust worked up. Saves the whole mess of citizenship forms, fingerprints, CLEO sign off, and passport photos.

In Wake Co. you can also go through Eagle One in Raleigh. On a side note, you do not have to transfer the suppressor through a dealer in the same city or county that you live in. You do have to transfer through a dealer in the same state though.

If the sheriff will not sign bypass him with a trust. Owning a suppressor is your right and fully legal (considering you are law abiding).

By the way I was told in my last application process that "collector" is no longer the proper wording for ATF approval per my Class III and you do not need to be a collector, dealer, inventor or researcher. I simply put "target shooting and not disturbing my neighbors" on my stuff and that is fully valid. There are several sheriffs in NC who will not sign...period...whether you are legally allowed to own or not. Main thing is if you get any smoke from your sheriff and you are otherwise qualified to own, simply thumb your nose and bypass him.

You don't need any "special" background, DOD, ex LEO or anything else to own. If you are a law abiding US citizen it is your right to own...you just have to go through the process.

PDHSC won't do Trust Transfers.
I used PDHSC for one transfer and they are good to deal with.
I know of several other dealers that don't do them in NC either.
(The NC State AG has a vendetta against Trust transfers and makes it well known.)
http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/ncnfada/

Best advice that I was given is to make an appointment to speak with you Sheriff if person.
(Don't tell anyone what it is for.)
Dress nice and treat it like a job interview.
Have all of your paperwork in hand and ready to sign.
In addition to that, it is nice to have copies of any credentials, certifications, as well as a photo of the item you are purchasing.
(I ended up talking to my Sheriff for an hour and ended up becoming friends.)

I would strongly recommend getting a C&R FFL prior to going through this whole process.
As previously stated by CarolinaExPat, the most common interpretation of the North Carolina General Statute § 14-288.8 is that you must meet the qualifying criteria.
The easiest one to meet is #2, licensed collector of firearms.

There still are a lot of CLEOs out there that refuse to sign.
NC is not a "Must Sign State" and the NC AG encourages CLEOs to not sign.

I would strongly recommend that people not publish Counties & or Sheriffs that do or do not sign.
Reason being, it is too easy for a NFA friendly Sheriff to change his policy if some internet commando storms into his office and says that he saw on the internet that he signs NFA paperwork.
Conversely, it is just as easy for a known non NFA Sheriff to change his policy on NFA by somebody going into his office and approaching him in the appropriate manner.
(By the way, I've seen both of these situations happen.)

Sorry for the long response, but NC is a very vague state when it comes to NFA items.
I've heard rumors of reforming this statute within the next year to make things more clear.