• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler 130 RDF

06cummins92

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2018
Has anybody on here loaded up and shot any nosler 130 rdf out of a 6.5 creedmoor? Curious of your results as I have read some negative things about them. I was thinking about picking up 100 to try but don't want to waste my time and money if most people aren't getting good results.

I tested a few hundred and they were terrible compared to all the other top bullets on the market. Everyone says they need to be seated far off the lands in the .04-.07 range. I tested touching all the way out to .09 off the lands. My best group was submoa but not the typical sub 1/2moa accuracy I get with 140 ELD, 130 ELD, 123L, 139L, 130 Hybrids, 140 Hyrbids, 130 GT. I have 300 or 400 hundred left and will be using them to foul new barrels and get some rounds down them before I start load development.

That is pretty consistent to what I have read. Do you suppose they are still tweaking the manufacturing of them and maybe the first few runs of them aren't consistent? Or is it just a bad design.

Who knows, but I wont waste anymore time or powder on them with all the other bullets I can get that I know shoot!

I'm with padom on this subject, very inconsistent results with trying every trick in the book. Hope someone has better luck

Stick with Berger hybrids or ELD's.

I was really hoping the RDF's would shoot. The high BC's are certainly attractive, much like the new SMK's, but at the end of day, I'll take consistency over BC.

For that reason, I will always take the Berger Hybrids over RDF's or SMK's (such as the newer finicky 110's). It's an expensive lesson that I have learned.

Haven't shot the 130's, have tried the 6mm 105s and they're inconsistent too which is a shame because back to back loads against Berger 105 vlds on my Labradar shows the BC on the Noslers is definitely higher, but they won't produce consistent groups.

So if this doesnt settle the questions about 130 RDF's I dont know what will. So I loaded up 55 of them with 41.1g H4350 in Virgin lapua brass today to get some rounds down a new 6.5x47L barrel I am reviewing. I used the best load that I had from my other 2 6.5x47L barrels here. They shot like straight shit. Like I was shooting 55FMJ with a Red Dot at 100yds in a $500 AR15.

v0V8fn4.jpg

For comparison so someone doesnt cry the barrel was junk or it was the shooter or whatever else. I shot this 5x5 with 130 Berger Hyrbids, zero load development, also with 41.1g H4350 in virgin lapua brass right after shooting the above 130 RDF target in the same rifle.

v6nSaSH.jpg

i shot about a 100 130g RDFs in my 47 with varget and my results and thoughts are the same as padoms...this has been the norm for me with nosler match bullets...the 140RDFs shot ok but just ok..i sold 2000 of the 140s and will just stick to 130 and 140g berger hybrids.

I hope someone from Nosler is reading this thread and seeing these results because this is not what a match grade bullet should be achieving in terms of accuracy. Haven't heard or seen anyone in the F-class circles running these bullets either. Some have tried them in Dashers and 6.5x47 lapua's but no one is writing about them outshooting Bergers or otherwise.

Reactions: Redeye3
I think i will skip the 130 rdf and try some eldm 130s. I have a box of 140 rdf to try in my gun, hopefully they aren't dismal like the 130s appear to be. A good friend of mine has had really good luck with the 140 rdf in his gun so we shall see. Only one way to find out.

I think i will skip the 130 rdf and try some eldm 130s. I have a box of 140 rdf to try in my gun, hopefully they aren't dismal like the 130s appear to be. A good friend of mine has had really good luck with the 140 rdf in his gun so we shall see. Only one way to find out.

A friend of mine only got the 140s to work after batch sorting, weight and length.

I didn't even know they had a 130. I tried the 140's and I had the same conclusions as the rest. Inconsistent at best. After the 140 fiasco I don't bother with Nosler bullets. Other than the 300 win mag brass Nosler products for me don't work

Wow, I just about ordered 500 of the 130s, before I posted a question in the ballistics forum.
I’ll stick to my 130 Bergers.

Reactions: JT1178
So I figured out the trick with these things. Here is what I do. Take 42.3 grains of IMR 4895. Top that with a 168 SMK. Stand a bunch of RDFs on the 100yd steel rack and shoot them off with the 308.

I still have a couple hundred of the 130 RDFs left, I bought 500 and shot 300 trying different powders, charges, OALs, brass, & primers. They like a 0.010" jump, but consistently throw flyers. Not just, "Oh man, that opened up my group" flyer. I'm talking four in one little hole and 1 landing 1" away. I also had other good shooters reproduce my results. I gave up and went back to the ELDMs, .2s to .4s consistently. Nosler RDFs are semi-pro.

Sexy bullet, awesome BC, absolutely impossible for most to get to shoot accurately.

I've wasted way too much powder, primers and my time trying.

I know one person that managed to get them to work, but the slow speed that got them running good negated any benefit the BC would have provided.

I've got 1.5 boxes sitting on my shelf thinking about what their brothers have accomplished in life. There they will stay.

Agree with this comment. I've got the 105s working but only after weight sorting and they seem happy with a 60 thou jump.

Prime brass, Fed 210M primers. Yeah, they moving a bit slow, but for my uses for 800 and closer, this'll do. I got my 147 ELDm's for that silly stuff farther out.

Oh... and I can meter BL-C(2) out 41g +/- .05-.1 grain on my Lee Perfect Powder Measure each throw and weigh every other charge for QC. Loaded up 20 yesterday in no time flat!

Weight sort them. Jump them .070", match primers. Worked for me in my Proof M24 RPR pre-fit. My load is 41g BL-C(2). Easy shooting and still supersonic to 1200+
Im running .050 jump in my 20" Crierion bull barrel with 42.5 gr H4350 ,210M primers and peterson SRP brass. 2740fps, .3-.4 all day.

Im running .050 jump in my 20" Crierion bull barrel with 42.5 gr H4350 ,210M primers and peterson SRP brass. 2740fps, .3-.4 all day.

NICE!! After re-reading this thread, I'm thinking my spotty accuracy in the beginning was due to the Remington primers. I do need to do another load development with just the Fed210M primers and reloder 16.

I'm gonna be scoring like 9 POUNDS of Reloder 26 off a reloading buddy. In a day or two.... I got that going for me LOL. Just