• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

nosler and Lapua

scootball

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2009
Georgia
Got a 260 to feed. looking at Lapua and nosler brass. any benifet one has over the other? Seems like lapua may be easier to get than the nosler. Thoughts??

Re: nosler and Lapua

Try RP. I've ran them all and RP 260 brass shoots in dots and gives the highest velocity as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try RP. I've ran them all and RP 260 brass shoots in dots and gives the highest velocity as well.</div></div>

What kind of brass prep are you doing on the Rem brass to get them up to par?

I just bought some nosler brass. Haven't tried them out yet but on the box it says they are weight sorted and fully prepped.

I have not had good luck with Nosler brass in a 260.I had 100 pcs and on the 3rd loading 4pcs had loose primer pockets and 50 pcs had doughnuts in the neck.Nosler brass is just to soft.I've gotten good performance from RP brass,haven't tried Lapua yet.

scootball,

I use the Nosler brass in .223 and 6.5 X 55, found it to be of good quality and reasonably thick necks and preferable to Lapua. Bought 300 pieces of .30-06 and while the weights and finish were good, necks were very thin and some didn't clean up at 0.012". I haven't ordered any of the new Lapua .30-06 for testing and I've had some Lapua which didn't do any better than what I described above. Buy a big enough lot to test 50-100 rounds and sell the remainder of whatever you don't like.

HTH,
DocB

Don't know about 260 but here's my experience using the CLE chamber and a standard hi-power load in 223.

In short, the Nosler alloy is more durable than Lapua and Lake City and does not hurt my hi-power score.

After 5 firings the Lapua and Lake City primer pockets start getting loose but the Nosler doesn't.

Also, when the brass is extracted the case neck contacts the barrel extension lugs (teeth) causing small nicks that result in stress concentrations. As the brass is fatigue cycled in hoop stress, the neck on the Lapua and Lake City brass show fatigue cracks as early as 5 firings. The Nosler doesn't.

I've got 11 firings on the Nolser brass with acceptable primer pockets and no fatigue cracking. The brass is annealed every 5 firings using the Benchsource unit with the necks heated to a very slight orange color in a darkened room.