• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Nosler Custom Competition for Hunting

NamHunter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2014
Has anyone hunted with Nosler Custom Competition bullets?
How do they expand?

Want to avoid situations where the bullets don't expand (like one sometimes gets with the Smk).

Forgot to mention - I am looking to hunt deer sized game with a 308 Win 155gr NCC

Interested as well.
But I will probably use sst hornady for hunting to make sure they expand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nosler makes a hell of a good hunting bullet like the ballistic tip which is very accurate, why would you want to hunt with a target bullet.
cheers.

While not deer, the 69 grain .224 does an explosive job on ground hogs under 100 yards and the 77cc plowed through about 12" of coyote including both shoulder bones and exit was about 2", shot was 250ish yards. I'd do some milk jug testing a few times and see if its expands reliably. Back when they were using J4 jackets (same as berger's hunting line at the time) I'd say go for it. But it’s my understanding they make their own jackets now...

Tried 155 and 190 Nosler Custom Competition. 155's out of 308, 190's out of a 300WM. Both were very poor on game. The 69 Nosler Custom Competition out of my 223 are explosive however. Recommend them!

Keep an eye on SPS, they have nosler seconds for near nothing. Nosler seconds are just as good as firsts, may only have cosmetic blems, or sometimes just overruns.

150 BT come up pretty often as does the whole gambit of 30 cal bullets. You just have to be quick as they turn over inventory real quick.

Im down for using one bullet for target and hunting, but for the price you can get ballistic tip, silver tip, accubond for a fraction of the cost.

Factory Blemished (2nds) - Nosler Products

I have a buddy that shoots the Nosler CC 168 to hunt with. It has done the job on everything he has shot, but little exits and little blood. However, I shoot the AMAX and there is no comparison. Tennis ball exits or DRT's.

I would use the accubond. Nearly as accurate as a target round and is good on game same with the amax. I would not use a pure target bullet on game. I have even had bullet failures with the ballistic tip and will not use them, weird how accubond looks similar but hits harder all imo

Oh my 308 shoots the 180 accubond like a match bullet and when u can find it black hills makes great loaded ammo with that bullet

I won't shoot SST's anymore out of my 270 hunting rifle. I shot 3 deer with them right in the kill zone behind the shoulder at 101 yards or less and had no exit wounds. They all were DRT but if I ever need to track a deer... I want an exit wound. I have to say that the SST is a very accurate bullet though. I switched to Barnes for all of my whitetail loads.