• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NOT a sniper by pay grade or anything special

Re: NOT a sniper by pay grade or anything special

Showed up with no ammo YES
Showed up with wrong ammo YES
No mag YES Try loading a 10-22 single shot SUCKS
Bring only one loaded mag YES
Knowing I need left windage and looking right at the scope right is this way OK I will turn the knob that way. YES
Went to a match and friend did not have a bolt for his 15.
Brought full ammo boxes of empties. YES
Cranked in a High Speed knob like a standard one Yes 40MOA is too much elevation for a 900yd shot
Forgot to reset windage and score hits in neighbors target YES
Fired a second shot because there is no way my bullet moved over almost 10 feet. YES
Trying desperately to shoot a deer to only discover the safety is on. HELL YES
Tried to shoot with the lens caps on. YES
Closed lens caps to shoot. YES Do not know why I did that.
Sight in scope to set zero stop to only zero scope before setting stop YES.

Seen some guy during the first day of deer season at the pistol rang trying desperately to sight in his rifle. Then to only look at him while he is fiddling with the scope to only have it come off into his hand. That is classic. Try shooting your rifle a few days before season.

Seen many guys shoot one shot at 25yds to make sure their new scope is on then have their friend tell them you are 3 inches right so you need 12 clicks left. AH NO! YOU NEED TO MOVE ABOUT 12 INCHES ON YOUR DIAL. So they shoot again to have the bullet move ¾ inch. Then to have them slowly move it in a few more shots before I tell them you need to multiply that distance by 4 to get the amount you need to move the scope.

Same thing goes at 100yds if your rifle puts two shots about 6 inches in any direction you can move the scope more than 4 clicks at a time. These are the people who will tell you they just killed some critter way out there and how they only aimed like three fee over its back to make the shot.

I had gotten brand new troy irons and had just mounted them on my 308 AR and accidentally knocked the upper off my work bench onto the concrete floor. the rear troy got bent to shit.

We were shooting a friends new Barrett M99 in 416 and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't hold zero. Turns out my dumb ass forgot to torque the scope ring bolts.....

When I first got my USO and mounted it up to my Savage, I took it out to the range to zero, got it zeroed in a few shots and proceeded to shoot some groups. it wasn't until after I shot 15 rounds that I discovered that I hadn't torqued the screws enough and the scope was sliding in the rings under recoil. Didn't change the zero by much though.

In working up a load for the rifle mentioned above, I loaded up 5 rounds for each powder charge, doing a ladder test. Needless to say i didn't think to mark them in some fashion and in getting ready to go to the range I dropped the ammo box, spilling all the ammo, 40 or so rounds, all over the floor, had to pull, dump the powder and reload them all.

I was shooting 625 yards this summer at my property. Shot a few rounds and checked the target. It has several keyhole shots scattered about. I went over everything in trip to realize I spun my turret the wrong way when bringing up my zero from 550 to 625. The bullets were bouncing off the hay covered ground and then striking the large paper target.

Just about a month ago, took a brand new GAP to the range and left mags at home.

This spring shot Hardrock and forgot to adjust parallax as I moving range intervals.

Hammered 3 great shots into lane 3's 510yd target when I noticed I wasnt shooting at mine (lane 2). At least I had 2 shots left.

Told a friend I would bring him some .308 to shoot his rifle if he wanted to meet me at a range, that was 45min from his house. Only to realize when I got there I had grabbed a box of 6.5CM instead.

Looks like we are going to have enough members to start selling banner ads! Anyone have connections with any Medical Supply companys? I think they would want to be the first on board with sponsership.

This is one I have done and haven't seen here yet. Went to the range for a day of skeet with some friends. Checked everything a couple of times to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Well the friend last min says he will pick me up (2hr drive). Well this means I didn't grab my keys on the way out. Get to the range get all my gear out and go for my keys to take the trigger lock off....... we all know how this one ended up. Said thing is I brought 2 shotguns with me and both had trigger locks.....

4-5 years ago, drove from N.Calif. to the Blue Steel match in New Mexico, was using a .300wm. Got ready to sight in before match...... no bolt left it in the shop in Alta,Ca! It was a nice drive. Jim

I knew them trigger locks were trouble first time I laid eyes on 'em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is one I have done and haven't seen here yet. Went to the range for a day of skeet with some friends. Checked everything a couple of times to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Well the friend last min says he will pick me up (2hr drive). Well this means I didn't grab my keys on the way out. Get to the range get all my gear out and go for my keys to take the trigger lock off....... we all know how this one ended up. Said thing is I brought 2 shotguns with me and both had trigger locks..... </div></div>

When I bought my first gun, mossburg 500, my mom insisted that I use the cable lock that came with it and that her and my dad held onto the keys. Well I forgot to get it unlocked when I went to go deer hunting a few months later, my grandfather looks at it, says something about his daughter being silly and tells me to go get the bolt cutters. I've never locked up a gun other than the safe since.

If you are not making mistakes, you are not learning...I have made plenty. Blown shots at matches, hell yeah.

Why, just last week I took my single shot AR-10 to the range...awesome,

Hose, in the chamber, best way to get mud out of the muzzle. Unless you do it at a match, then you run a rod through it and keep shooting. Unless you don't have a rod, then you use a stick, yeeeah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When I bought my first gun, mossburg 500, my mom insisted that I use the cable lock that came with it and that her and my dad held onto the keys. Well I forgot to get it unlocked when I went to go deer hunting a few months later, my grandfather looks at it, says something about his daughter being silly and tells me to go get the bolt cutters. I've never locked up a gun other than the safe since. </div></div>

Before the days of my safe. Now stuff never has a trigger lock unless required at a range or something
grin.gif

Also haven't seen this one on here yet. Gone out to shoot and forgot the legs to the target stand. Great that I have a steel plate to shoot at but nothing to hold the plate LOL.

I forgot about this one! It was last year.

I cleaned my rifle and didn't put the bolt back in right away. I put the rifle in the case. I went to cook dinner and forgot about it. The next day I took my case and went to the range. Set the rifle on the table, and no bolt!

Embarrassing
blush.gif
!

Great thread!

One time I drove 25 miles home from my duck hunting spot with my Model 12 on top of the camper shell. How it didn't slide off, I'll never know!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone shot their chrono?</div></div>

Two in a single afternoon...

I missed a shot at a buck I rattled in to 15 yards....A 200 class buck in a place that doesn't EVER grow bucks that big.

No excuses....I just dropped the forend in the excitement of seeing such a buck go down. Shot right between his legs.
I still hate myself...

Heading to the hunting camp. Put everything out on the patio waiting for my buddy who's turn it was to drive. Pulls in the yard and his heater stopped working. Unload all his gear into my truck and hurriedly throw my gear in the truck also.
Three hours later get to the camp in the Adirondacks, unload, yup, rifle is still home on top of the woodpile where I left it.
Borrow a buddy's new shotgun with slugs same weekend. Step in a 2 foot hole full of leaves and tore up the finish on his new gun. He laughed it off, but I still feel bad.
Went to the range with 2 lever guns. Did you know you can put a .357 cartridge in a .45 long colt rifle and have it go off the very first time? I always double check both the firearm and the cartridges before I load now.
just a couple of months ago took the 22LR bolt and the CAR 15 to the range. It gets pretty tiresome putting 1 cartridge at a time in the end of a stripper clip to charge a 223 rifle. Now I leave at least 1 magazine in the range bag at all times.
Just a few of the fun things I have done over the years. Did I mention I was French??

I bought an Ithica .243 from a dwarf he had cut the stock off of the thing and dumb ass me just wanted to shoot it. so I loaded a round looked through the scope and pulled the trigger. after a moment of dizzynes and some blood coming from over my eye I realized the scope hit me and put a nice cut over my eye.

Hi, my name is PickPick and I belong in this support group too.
I tried to find my posts to paste them here but, I'll just give the short versions....
Got 50BMG case stuck in a sizing die. (first one I ever tried)
Took 50rnds of .2 grain increment reloads to range to find sweet load. After firing five rounds each of the first two powder charges I knocked the box over and all but 3 of the cartridges came out of the box. Didn't have a clue which ones were which.
Forgot bolts, mags, ammo, targets, left primers out, dialed wrong dope, shot borrowed cronys. And the list goes on.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that does it.
Thanks for sharing.

I put aluminum rings on my .300WBY and went to sight it in. After the second shot being on the paper I chambered the third and couldn't figure out why it didn't even hit the paper. The aluminum rings didn't hold up tot he recoil and I didn't figure it out until the fourth round.

Won't even say how many times I have squeezed the trigger to send one out at a yote and heard the dreaded "click"!

Had been out shooting my AR at some longer range targets then went yote hunting...yeah you guessed it missed by a mile.

I once wondered why when i turned my elevation turret to dial up the crosshair went down... doesn't really get much dumber than that...
whistle.gif

Never shot a chrony.

Haven't been to a rifle match yet
frown.gif

Rings have come loose on my AR before after burning through 100rds i never thought to check the rings just thought it was me.

Oh in one reloading session i was disassembling the hand primer (it was getting sticky) assembled it back with the seater upside down so the round end was trying to seat the primer. Luckily it didn't go off.

I guess i am "normal"
Left ammo can in the driveway
Forgot to bring magazine for rifle
Shot Chrony's rods
Loose scope ring
No powder in a revolver reload, locking up the cylinder
Forgot to reset zero after 600 yards destroying pvc target frame
Forgot spotting scope tripod
Left rifle rest at the range
Carelessly dribled bore cleaner into Remington trigger gumming it up, a week later at the range "load aim and....no click or bang" @#$@%!

In addition to "most of the above" I've fired a 10mm round out of a .45 Glock. FYI it makes kind of a "bloop" sound and the bullet hits the groud about 20' in front of you. Doesn't cycle the action either.

Played a nast trick on my brother-in-law once.

We'd been deer hunting that morning with no success.

Headed back home we saw a bunch of crows out in a pasture and several sitting in a tree.

So I told my brother-in-law, "Hey, that's right at 200 yards. Take my rifle and pop one." He agreed, so I took my rifle, a 7mm Rem. Mag., and gave it to him.

He sat down beside a fence post and got a good steady hold. Breathing, breathing, sight picture, breathing . . . . . . CLICK!!!! and the muzzle jumped up at least a foot. Pretty heavy recoil for no round being shot!!!

He gave the most shit-eating grin that anyone could ever come up with and said, "Hee, hee, hee!!! I guess I flinced a little bit, didn't I?"

I had intentionally not chambered a round. He was always bragging about how good of a rifle shot he was.

We've always had fun out of that one.

Been chasing a deer all last season. Named him Shank Bitches. He was a mean old looking buck pushing 160. Good deer. Lots of trail cam pics of him, and in every picture he looked cocky as hell. 1st morning of gun season he stayed behind some brush @ 90 yards. I was shooting my .44 mag revolver because I let someone else borrow my H&R 12 ga for the day. Had I had the 12 ga, I probably could have squeezed one through there. Nope. He left with his pile of does. No shots fired.

3rd morning we set up a little further off, but still in his main area. First deer starts coming to the stand about 6:40. Its him. Shank Bitches. He gets to 30 yrds and I have my 12 ga at this point. He stops and looks up at me, but not like he's scared. More like he broke into my house, screwed with my gun, and now he's just here to enjoy the moment. I pull the hammer back, throw the crosshairs on his front shoulder, and squeeze it off......CLICK. No. No, thats not the sound I've come to expect when I pull the trigger. Pull it back again.....CLICK. Load up another shell as he trotts of. CLICK.

I've got two shells at home with small indentions in the primer. The pin never hit the primer of the Rem Copper Solids hard enough to fire. Heard of that problem with the H&R and Copper Solids AFTER this little incident. They shot great last year, and my buddy killed one with them the day before.

I haven't had the guts to try the other rounds from the same box. They'll probably fire just fine.

As far as I know, Shank Bitches is still out there.

I feel so much better after reading this thread. I've had more than a couple of miscues and I've only been shooting rifles for about a year.

Didn't torque scope rings-then couldn't figure out why I couldn't zero.
Accidental discharge.
Adjusted scope the wrong direction.
Scope bite attempting a standing shot.

And that was just one afternoon! I decided to call it a day after that. I haven't knocked my rifle over but my Great Dane has. There are numerous other "oh shit I just did that moments" but these are the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

It's good to know that I'm not alone.

I have forgotten rifles, ammo, targets, staples and tape for the targets, filled and seated bullets while remembering I didnt prime the brass, had rings loosen, chased a zero with half my ammo, made it to the range with one mag and that was the one in the gun, left pocket knives and target stands at the range. Oh, I also closed the garage door on my .22. It was just close enough to clip the scope, but it was all salvagable.

My most recent "motherfucker!" moment was going walking out to the 550yd target with my rifle slung, walking all the way back, setting up and asking my brother if he saw where my rear scope cap went. It was amazing that I was actually able to retrace my steps 550yds out through the desert and find the fucker about 30yds from the target.

I could be a moderator on the shotgun forum.

Most of my screwups are shotgun related.

I have shot a chrony, with a shotgun. Apparently shot spreads out when it leaves the barrel. Also, you don't need to hit the chrony square to wreck it.

I have forgotten to put powder in shotgun shells. In my defense, reloading large steel shot is a pain, and a slow process. Oh heck, there is no defense. I heard a "poot" and and I could actually see the shot go about ten feet in the air and come down. Had to find a piece of old fence wire to push the wad out. A few shots later it happened again.

I have had the ball bearing one slot off on my lee powder scale.

I have dumped my reloading mistakes into the wrong trash bags. That makes burning the trash much more interesting.

I have crushed a few rounds trying to set up my crimp die. I have crushed a lot of shotguns shells trying to adjust the crimp.

I have done things that I won't admit here.

Lately, I have been wondering where the guys who posted here whose comments always made the most sense have gone...?

About 10yrs ago I got kicked out of sniperctry for chatting up handloading ideas that were received with "this ain't benchrest country"... Now ol Mike Miller is F-team honcho and for sure is using benchrest country techniques...

Then you have the 8541 types who were taught to shoot but never gunsmithed or handloaded; still they know it all...

There is also the antiquated theory of the craft that holds with the one-shot purpose, hide-building, low-crawling and all the craft that is so well employed on the static battlefield; but is any battle of the 21st century conducted on some distant field or from lines or trenches? Will we be out in the jungle again?

As much as competitions are test of skill, does the skill-building enforce the old standards or recognize the new?

Heavy-ass guns with scopes that are boat-anchor heavy might be the traditional weapon, but what good do these tools serve in a dynamic and changing situation, UNLESS you are a paid member of an Armed Forces?

In light of all this, how can you have a site devoted to sniping w/o tolerance of political discussion, when there is nothing more "political" than the sniper?

I thought you were pro, Jon?

This past hunting season my dad got his first trailcam, and I came over to his house to help him get the pictures off. He had 2 nice bucks that were regulars, but nocturnal. Finally I found a picture of the best one in daylight. The conversation went something like this:

"Here he is in the daylight, you missed your chance."

"Sure did. When was that?"

"Yesterday, 7:00 PM."

He looked at me really funny, and said, "I was on the stand yesterday at 7:00!"

Turns out one of the other guys came down early, and my dad heard his ATV and looked down at his phone to check the time exactly when the deer stepped out- just long enough to cheese for the camera and keep walking. He never did see him again.

Tuesday I finished pulling some 9mm's and reloading them. I was in the middle of a multi-day run on the Dillon several months ago, a buddy stopped by to load some rifle rounds on the single stage so I sat back down at the press and cranked out some more rounds while I was talking to him. 15 rounds later I realized I'd emptied the powder measure the day before- and the powderless rounds I'd just made were mixed in with around 150 good rounds in the bin. The difference of weight between the 2 were too close to pick out the duds with confidence, so I had to pull all of them and reload them.

Mixed up a load progression? Check.

This past year I shot a Savage for a friend who couldn't get it on paper. Turns out he was shooting .243's in a .270. Didn't shoot well like that.

Great thread.

Story 1:

Let me set the stage a little... when shooting in matches at my local range, it's required that you pull your bolt if your not on the line. After the last relay finished up on this particular day, a few of us were gonna stick around and do a little more shooting. I retrieved my rifle off the rack and grab my bolt, which I typically set on top of my ammo box, on top of the rifle rack. This time the bolt was laying next to my ammo box but I didn't think much of it beyond "maybe someone was checking out what I was shooting?" So I get on the line, put the bolt in, get set up and go to chamber a round. For some reason it just won't chamber. I inspect the round and think "maybe that shoulder's just blown too far out and needs to be body sized." Grab another round... same thing. Now I start to get concerned and pull the bolt back out and begin inspecting the lugs and bolt face... hmmmm, it looks like the walls of the b.f. are thicker than I remember. There are also wear marks on the lugs and b.f. that don't look familiar. Shit, the case head on my cartridge won't even fit in the recess on the b.f. At this point, I'm thinking effed something up during the match. Then I get the brilliant idea to check the SN# on the bolt and I'll be damned, it doesn't match. I go check out the guns on the rack and see the RO's .223 LTR that he was letting his grandson shoot, parked next to where mine was. I pick it up and sure enough, when his grandson was getting everything ready to pack up, he grabbed my bolt and stuck it in Chief's gun.

I was just thankful that the situation had not unfolded the opposite way, with the grandson getting on the line with my bolt. I don't know if he would have been able to fire it that way, or if it would have failed to close like what I experienced, but it makes me cringe to think about how that could have ended up for him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story 2:

My dad had been wanting to shoot in a match with me for quite a while and finally had the time to do so. He drove up the afternoon before and we spent the evening loading up some ammo. The next day, we were on the line and shortly after our relay began I see him out of the corner of my eye, looking frantic and frustrated. A few shots later, I look over and hes not shooting, just looking confused and pissed. When the relay finished, I walk over and ask him what happened. That's when he shows me two cases that he forgot to put primers in (actually, 2 of 5). When he attempted to fire them, a few kernels of powder worked their way through the hole in the primer pocket and were stuck to his bolt face, preventing the bolt (Styer Pro-Hunter) from closing all the way on the good rounds he was trying to chamber. After finding and removing the kernels, everything worked fine. Ever since witnessing that, I shine a flashlight in all the cases between each step to be sure I primed and powdered 'em all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story 3:

This past Christmas, my folks blew my mind by giving me the 5-20 SS. There was no way I could let it just sit in the box until my .260 is finished, so I swapped it with the 3-9 SS that was currently on my .243. Since there were still a few weeks left of the deer season, I found a range that was open and went with my dad to sight it in. Of course, this public WMA range was PACKED with people trying out their Christmas presents as well. I finally get a spot and begin sighting the scope in, with my dad spotting. We fully expected this to be a 5 round process max, so after 10 shots down the tube and still no zero solidified, I can see my dad kinda gritting his teeth and looking at me out of the corner of his eyes with a face full of concern. I am getting frustrated and think, maybe it's just too much magnification and I'm not used to it... maybe it's the million rounds per minute that are being fired all around me... maybe it's the soda cans, bottles, and other trash flying around 25 feet in front of me, being shot by said million rounds per minute. Finally, I decide to check the screws on the rings... well, well, well... I guess in my excitement I forgot to tighten those up. Cinched 'em down and a few shots later, zero was confirmed.

I was coon hunting with a friend of mine when I was a teenager and he wanted to take his pup to get him started early. We ended up treeing one with the other dog we took and shot him out of the tree. We started skinning the coon when I heard something behind me, his pup had my 77/22 by the stock dragging it across the field. My friend felt so bad that he offered to replace the stock but all I could do is laugh at what had just happened. I got the teeth marks raised and refinished the gun so it was a good learning experience.

THe other one I just thought of, the neighbor kid had a rifle he just mounted a scope on and couldn't get it sighted in. After a few shots I noticed something was wrong, he had mounted the scope so the elevation knob was on the left and the windage knob was on the top.

Potentially most embarrassing,

Sat in a deer stand once, in the rain, with no ammo because I forgot mine and was not even going to tell the guy I was hunting with that I had for gotten it. (and no we weren't using the same caliber) The only good part was that I didn't see anything anyway.

Haven't hit my chrony yet, but I've shot the screen off more times that I can count.

Last year on a Full Bore match left the 800 yd dope on at 900. First of only two allowed sighters I see the dirt geyser from the berm. Damn, what is that 900 yd dope again? Then the pits were kind enough to call up and inform me my first shot was low. Thanks guys
smile.gif

Best I got is turning the elevation knob the wrong way. As I was zeroing the scope I was watching the holes trace from L to R across the paper, but as I was fine tuning the zero I noticed the shots start to move down towards the bottom of the target. Once I realized my mistake I just turned the knob the correct direction and got my zero.
Shit happens to the best of us.

I didn't do it but I've seen in person shoot a KAC suppressor off their SASS because it wasn't attatched properly.

Personally I've bent aics magazine feed lips from falling and having them in an outside pocket on my alice pack.

I've fogged up my scope at inopportune times due to mouth breathing.

Lost objective lenses to binos.
Broke range finders from sitting in the rain using them, in a place where I didn't think it could rain.

I've had to hammer out a fired 50bmg case out of a m107 due to excessive fire.

Stabbed myself with a can opener on a multitool scraping carbon.

Play with fire long enough you get burned.
Rappeling is another example....

<span style="font-style: italic">filling my chargemaster, and dumping it through the drain knob</span>

Yes, twice in a month! First time it wasn't fully closed; couldn't understand why 1 lb of powder wasn't lasting very long...

I left an Anschutz 2013 propped carefully on the back tire of my truck after shooting (towel to protect the finish) and drove away. It was still laying in the snow 20 minutes later on the side of the highway after several dozen cars drove by. I will NEVER do that again.

Since you ask Jon. Let's see, I've driven 30 minutes to the range just to find out I left the ammo at home. Went shooting with a buddy who has a .243, I have a .308, he is kind of sloppy and likes to leave ammo laying around, you figure out the rest, I'm ashammed to say. And the list goes on. If you shoot enough something is going to happen to you sooner or later.

I missed the first three shots at a deer that was about 350 yds out because I had my scope (ballistic reticle) at 4x instead of 14x to let more light in. I was probably aiming for 900yds... lol.

He was nice enough to hang around for the 4th shot, and is now on my wall.
cool.gif