• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not even close to a sniper rifle but vintage….

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Finally found a nice GI carbine locally. In the coal counties. Probably was used to poach some deer in it’s day. Good late war Inland. Flat bolt stocks been cleaned I think but still has the Inland cartouche. Added my old USMC mag pouch. Has the late flip safety. Take it apart at some point and see what parts I got.
115AF4BA-8E89-4785-B190-3D8F3B3990BB.jpeg

D503C886-39EF-4010-A8C4-7C8AD1E2A19C.jpeg

CE5812A5-1A30-4A1D-B594-8285C0AB6767.jpeg
414C200A-61A3-4C01-879C-FF078E0B51F9.jpeg

Nice M1 carbine. I loved shooting my Grandfathers as a kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwarrior
My dad hated his. He bolo'd during qualification. Everybody in his group shot like shit. Earlier, in basic, he shot well with the M1 Garand. So, he liked the Garand and hated the carbine.

Fast forward to a few years ago and I'm watching Ian McCollum's "Forgotten Weapons". He had this guy on there named Ken Hackathorn. Ken goes on to explain that after WWII, all the carbines went in for rebarrel, then get taken down for parts. Then we needed them and they all got slammed back together. Mismatched parts from all the makers, sights not tuned to the rifle because they used to be on another rifle. And, not adjustable. It gave the M1 carbine a bad reputation.

Anyhow, I explained this to my dad. Even got him to watch the episode on YouTube. He was shaking his head going, "No goddam wonder..." I asked if that meant he was going to go out and buy a good one? "NO! Goddam pieces of junk!", He said. I laughed. I've shot some good ones and understand way better what they can do. 😁 😁

Reactions: ZG47A
For it's intended use it was great.

Peeps liked it for it's light weight and magazine.

In the Pacific it did well shooting people close wearing only Cotton shirts.

It's limitations were found in cold climes when it wouldn't penetrate layers of clothing.

I think some of the "nay saying" is akin to the .223 debate......."No one shot by this ever died" but the reality is kind of different.

Regards mismatched parts that was the result pretty much of the first cleaning session when everything was broken down and piled into coffee cans full of gasoline.

As far as I know the USMC with the 1903 rifle were the only ones that made any attempt to keep parts attached to the same rifle by serializing 1903 bolts with an electro pencil. Id say the effort more was a safety issue concerning headspace rather than an accuracy issue.

Maintaining parts didnt matter when acceptance was 4 MOA.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwarrior
My dad hated his. He bolo'd during qualification. Everybody in his group shot like shit. Earlier, in basic, he shot well with the M1 Garand. So, he liked the Garand and hated the carbine.

Fast forward to a few years ago and I'm watching Ian McCollum's "Forgotten Weapons". He had this guy on there named Ken Hackathorn. Ken goes on to explain that after WWII, all the carbines went in for rebarrel, then get taken down for parts. Then we needed them and they all got slammed back together. Mismatched parts from all the makers, sights not tuned to the rifle because they used to be on another rifle. And, not adjustable. It gave the M1 carbine a bad reputation.

Anyhow, I explained this to my dad. Even got him to watch the episode on YouTube. He was shaking his head going, "No goddam wonder..." I asked if that meant he was going to go out and buy a good one? "NO! Goddam pieces of junk!", He said. I laughed. I've shot some good ones and understand way better what they can do. 😁 😁
I got the privilege of walking in the back areas of the Anniston, Alabama CMP in 2009 ish timeframe. My buddy and I got to see how they brought the parts in and how they put the carbines together. All the steps up to test firing. We got to test fire a couple just to see the completed process. It was interesting to see for sure, barrels and boxes full of mixed manufacturers parts. We bought as many carbines as we were allowed to while I was in that area for a few years. I wish I would have kept all of them. It’s amazing all the different styles and little nuances of each manufacturer.

For it's intended use it was great.

Peeps liked it for it's light weight and magazine.

In the Pacific it did well shooting people close wearing only Cotton shirts.

It's limitations were found in cold climes when it wouldn't penetrate layers of clothing.

I think some of the "nay saying" is akin to the .223 debate......."No one shot by this ever died" but the reality is kind of different.
There's always that going on. Thus why the Brits were trying to put a 7mm magnum together right before WWI.

The .30 carbine will penetrate as needed to about double it's "effective range". Cold winter clothing doesn't stop it any more than anything else.

And yeah, it's like the .223 debate. At just under 300 yds. it will penetrate an M1 steel pot. How many guys shoot beyond that? The M193 55gr. FMJBT was the most lethal bullet we ever fielded. Especially out of the original 1-14" twist.

So, back to the M1 carbine. It killed, it was light and handy, and really had a range of about 200 yds.

Reactions: ZG47A and powerspc
There's always that going on. Thus why the Brits were trying to put a 7mm magnum together right before WWI.

The .30 carbine will penetrate as needed to about double it's "effective range". Cold winter clothing doesn't stop it any more than anything else.

And yeah, it's like the .223 debate. At just under 300 yds. it will penetrate an M1 steel pot. How many guys shoot beyond that? The M193 55gr. FMJBT was the most lethal bullet we ever fielded. Especially out of the original 1-14" twist.

So, back to the M1 carbine. It killed, it was light and handy, and really had a range of about 200 yds.

Anecdotal evidence only in regards to cold climes no penetration.......Battle of the Bulge, Chosin Reservoir stuff, books with color statements thrown in.

Probably misses excused by padded jackets.

Getting shit to even operate in that type cold seemed to be the bigger issue.

OP that appears to be a beautiful stock on that rifle.

Very lightly coat your hands with linseed oil and feed that wood.

If you note "grime" on your hands after doing so repeat for a few days while removing the grime with a paper towel....that stock will glow.

The flat horizontal grain is great strength, perfect example of what a GI stock is supposed to be. That one wide grain is interesting....wonder what happened that year of growth?

I actually forgot to look for that. P’s gone has a star instead. I still need open it up at some point. I'm assuming the rest were sanded off during rebuild. If it was sanded to make it purty whoever did it, didn't try to improve fitment.
D21CE869-B597-4A71-AD43-CA28AE464D5F.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting story about my Winchester Carbine. I bought it in the 60's from a local gun shop in Dardanelle, AR. The story that went with it was an older lady used to sit in a tree and shoot deer in the back of the head with a 22LR until the Game Warden convinced her that it was illegal to use the 22LR. She traded it for the M1 Carbine and continued to sit in the tree and shoot deer in the back of the head until she became too old to climb the tree then sold it to the local gun store.

Last edited: