• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

not happy with new B&C Tactical

vaeevictiss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2012
Virginia
So i have been waiting about a year to pick up a new stock for my 700. It finally came in this week and it is a B&C Tactical.

Now even with the crappy factory stock, the gun was not shooting bad (or i wasnt at least haha). With my handloads i pulled off this group

v1aoMry.jpg

So with the new stock i expected to see similar, if not better groups, with something that just didnt feel cheap. Well i was very surprised to see the two groups. The first is with my same handload, and the second is with Hornady 150gr SSTs... (all squares are standard 1")

ujTgw3s.jpg

tqMfn8B.jpg

So as you can imagine going from a nearly 1/2 MOA group to a 2-3+ MOA, im pretty pissed.

I checked the stock, the fit feels great, the barrel is fully floated all the way. I tried with the screws torqued to both 65in/lb and 45in/lb and no difference.

What worries me, is, is it even possible for a stock to cause a problem like this? The last time ive seen such horrible consistancy was with a broken scope, but im not sure how all of a sudden it would have broke. Its not the best scope, but not horrible. It is a Millet TRS1. It has been excellent for me and i have heard of people using the same scope on much larger calibers.

So im trying to rule the coincedence of a broken scope out and just assume it is just the stock. that being said i have two questions. Could the stock have caused such a drastic change? and if so...how the hell do i fix it? lol

Yeah, something is torquing on your receiver Id say. Not rubbing it in or anything but the few H-S stocks I have never did that to me, never considered getting the B&C brand. Maybe your scope broke in between groups, hahaha

It might be the recoil lug. Here's a picture of a severely misaligned recoil lug on a brand new Remington 700. It fit ok in the original stock and shot well:
Remington700Recoillug005_zps84e90061.jpg

I have just expierenced the same problem, rifle shot tiny groups with the HS and dropped into the BC and opened up to 2". Took it apart and all looked ok, put it back in torqued and tried it again and its shooting tight once again. Scratching my head but all is well now.

yea i was just talking to my gunsmith and he said the two things i should try are redeveloping my load and then bedding it, in that order. I bedded my 10/22 and it shoots amazing now. sub moa at 100 yards with CCI standard.

yea i was just talking to my gunsmith and he said the two things i should try are redeveloping my load and then bedding it, in that order. I bedded my 10/22 and it shoots amazing now. sub moa at 100 yards with CCI standard.

Wouldnt you want to bed it first and then do load development again?

My B&C stock has a channel cut for an oversized recoil lug. The canted recoil lug fit loosely in the B C channel and the misalignment of the recoil lug pressed into the bottom of the channel. Groups went to shit. Starightened the recoil lug and bedded the action and now its good to go. Its easy to check the alignment of the recoil lug when out of the stock with the front action screw and trigger. The bottom of the recoil lug should be flat with the flat of the screw. I'm 90% certain your recoil lug is out of alignment

Sounds like you need to give it a going over. Pull it apart and check everything out then put it back together. If everything is right the stock should not give you that trouble.

Not everyone is equipped to straighten a recoil lug (barrel vise, action wrench).
If the recoil lug is the problem you can just grind the bottom flat and the side square, just don't remove any more than necessary.

Joe

I have a B&C and just shot it yesterday and had no problems with M118 ammo. The hand loads i assume should be quite better. I go shooting again on the 14th so i will get some picks up then. Could it have beeen a bad day at the range for ya? Most are quick to blame equipment.

Well i found the rest of my bedding compound from when i did my 10/22. Before bedding i did notice something odd in that the barreled action did not sit flat on the bedding block. It was hanging up somewhere and just rocking. I actually had to push down on it fairly hard just to get it to sit flat on the block. So I'm guessing tightening it down could have been tweaking something.

I sanded everything down nice and bedded it. I pulled it apart this afternoon and all seems well. The action sits nice and flat and screws lined up perfectly.

Not sure when ill get range time again but hopefully that helped.

And i do understand i probably wouldn't have had the problem with fitting with an HS stock, but being married on a single income in the Obameconmy i could only afford "decent" right now lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LongRifles Inc. is now surface machining all of the aluminum chassis style stocks as an alternative to bedding. It is a lower cost option than traditional bedding. Check out Chads thread Surfing away for the latest one in the Gunsmithing section.

Finally got to sight in today and rework my load. I am happy to say it was in fact a bedding issue. I ended up at 44.7gr of Varget in Lapua brass with a 178gr AMax with a COL of 2.910 (20 thousandths off the lands). I was worried to go that high but i was not seeing any high pressure indicators. I actually shot the best group ever with this rifle so far, just a hair over 1/4" at 100yds (still covered with a dime). Now to push it further.

KwFbytO.jpg

amazing what a bit of acraglas can do!

Last edited:
Bedding is a huge factor. I used to think it was BS, I bed rifles now right after I confirm via one range trip , that nothing is forked up with the barrel. A good stock, bedding job and Timney works wonders on even the simplest $500 hunting guns.

Good to see you got it shooting straight again.

Glad to see you got it worked out. I'll still add my $.02 anyways. Many many years ago I through my SPS-T in to a B&C stock and it actually opened up groups within a few hundred yards but seemed to do better beyond. Never understood it but whatever. One thing I did notice was that if I removed the action then put it back, even after torquing, it was about a foot high on the first shot, 6 inches on the second, but by the 4th it all settled back in to place and was good to go. Once I bedded it I noticed the groups shrunk way back down and then I could remove/reinstall all I wanted with no point of impact change. There was also no cold bore deviation.

That rifle has since gone through another transformation, trued, new barrel, etc. Before I even put a single round through it I ground all the old bedding out, made room for the new larger recoil lug, and bedded it again. This was a quick group I shot just to make sure my zero was on, few weeks ago.

24465_4074540080858_848386608_n.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see you got it worked out. I'll still add my $.02 anyways. Many many years ago I through my SPS-T in to a B&C stock and it actually opened up groups within a few hundred yards but seemed to do better beyond. Never understood it but whatever. One thing I did notice was that if I removed the action then put it back, even after torquing, it was about a foot high on the first shot, 6 inches on the second, but by the 4th it all settled back in to place and was good to go. Once I bedded it I noticed the groups shrunk way back down and then I could remove/reinstall all I wanted with no point of impact change. There was also no cold bore deviation.

That rifle has since gone through another transformation, trued, new barrel, etc. Before I even put a single round through it I ground all the old bedding out, made room for the new larger recoil lug, and bedded it again. This was a quick group I shot just to make sure my zero was on, few weeks ago.

24465_4074540080858_848386608_n.jpg

Yea that looks good. I guess I've only done 3 shot groups. Is five the preferred number, because I see a lot of people doing that

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have the same stock and I ordered it from redhawk also. I'm starting to wonder if my stock needs bedded too. I've shot some pretty horrendous groups.

I have the same stock and I ordered it from redhawk also. I'm starting to wonder if my stock needs bedded too. I've shot some pretty horrendous groups.

id give it a shot. I was actually very worried. I didn't think that just bedding it could bring those groups from my first post into 1/4" (also working up loads too). But it made a huge difference. Very surprised, and very happy.

I also know that bedding my 10/22 also made a noticeable difference, not as good as this id say, but enough to shoot under an inch at 100 yds with CCI Standards.

Last edited:
Good to see it shooting like it should. Never underestimate the power of a good bedding job; not to be confused with a youtube bedding job.

Another thing someone can try before bedding is using a torque wrench to install the stock, and tighten down back to front. I found that I needed to turn the torque wrench a lot further than I could with a small allen wrench.

I get my m40 in friday then ill have groups posted by sunday night! Quick question for b&c users! does a wyatts dbm just drop in with no inletting? are there any others that will?