• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not sure what to do 700 5r

firefoot11

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2011
Virginia
So I was in my LGS this weekend and he had just got a used rifle in and was tossing it on rack. After checking it out it's an unfired still has tag on trigger guard 2009 rem 700 SA 5r 308 24". Gave $999 for it which I think is a pretty good deal. Now here comes the questin. I already have a 700 LTR 308 in manners with mark 5, jewell, atlas and a can that shoots amazingly well. I'm really not sure what to do with this thing, toss in safe and leave it alone or build it up? Thanks in advance for your opinions

Its not like its a collectors item so why buy and store it ?
I would set it up and shoot it or sell it but thats just me.
I have a douple of collectors one in paticular i inherited but i also used it when i was younger to kill a couple of whitetail with.
It still bugs me with it sitting in the back of the safe in a silicone storage sock.

Yeah I know it's not a collector. I'm from a small town so back in the day we just read the 5r never seen one locally. Im leaning your way been looking for a chassis for two days.

From all i have read on them they are very accurate.
I still wish i hadnt sold my 26" 1-12 Rem varmint, it was a damn good shooter and easy to find great loads for but thats just the nature of the 308win.

Reactions: firefoot11
Sounds like an impulse buy and having two of basically the same rifle is pretty pointless IMO. I would shoot it with FGMM to see how it shoots. If it shoots as good or better than the LTR then I'd send the LTR down the road in the 5R stock and consider it an upgrade.

Never hurts to have a loner if you have kids or shoot with friends. Otherwise I’m inclined to agree on finding the more accurate barreled action, keeping the better stock, and selling the other stock and BA.

Honestly sounds like your in the same boat Im in. I already have 308s that are built up and tricked out. But a dude walked in the shop with a very lightly used FN SPR A3G and Ive always wanted one.

So I mounted an NX8 and had a short Arca rail and MB for the can installed. Going to keep the factory bottom metal and just keep it a simple drag around the field rifle

That was your LGS's lucky day. He probably gave the original owner $500 for it and instantly doubled his money with no effort.

I'd shoot it and add it to the collection, but that's me.

Yeah I've always wanted a 5r, not sure why but when I saw it the other day I had to have it. lol Now just trying to figure what to do with it. I always thought the H-S precision builds the guys did years back was nice but so are these new chassis all the cool kids have.

You couldn’t get me to part with my 2008 700 5R, typically a 1/3 MOA gun w/ hand loads

Reactions: B Man
Hope you are shooting it! If you got one that really shoots you just bought a gem. Mine is a 1/3-1/2 moa rifle. Wife bought me mine as a Christmas present, didn’t think I would really like it but it’s became probably my favorite rifle in the safe, just stacks them and always consistent.

262FFA1A-5FAC-4835-BCD5-56B13A38B2C7.jpeg

Reactions: Oldloser