• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noveske 18” SPR Barrel Accuracy Evaluation

Molon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
Noveske 18” SPR Barrel Accuracy Evaluation

noveske_SPR_011-1439090.jpg

Noveske’s 18” SPR barrel is a stainless-steel barrel that has a medium contour and a 0.750” diameter gas block journal. The gas block journal for this barrel is designed for Noveske’s low profile gas block and the journal is only one inch in length; standard length gas blocks will not work with this barrel. Fortunately, Noveske’s pinned and set-screwed low profile gas block is included with the barrel (as well as an intermediate length gas tube.)

noveske_spr_barrel_on_blud_background_02-1439093.jpg

noveske_stripped_18_inch_SPR_barrel_with-1439095.jpg

The Noveske SPR barrel employs an intermediate length gas system which eliminates the short-stroke issues that are sometimes encountered in cold weather with some 18” barrels that utilize a rifle length gas system. The barrel extension has “M4” feed-ramps. The barrel has a 1:7” twist rate and polygonal rifling (not a polygonal bore.)

polygonal_rifling_side_by_side_23-1439096.jpg

noveske_polygonal_rifling_05-1439088.jpg

The chamber found in this barrel is Noveske’s proprietary Noveske Match mod 0 chamber that “was developed to fire MK262 Mod 1 on AUTO in hot environments." I installed the SPR barrel in a Colt M4 upper receiver and free-floated the barrel with a LaRue Tactical 12” handguard.

noveske_spr_with_bipod_and_scope_11-1439094.jpg

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Noveske 18” SPR barrel from my bench-rest set-up following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The free-float hand-guard of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

benchrest_rig_9mm_002-1439087.jpg

wind_probe_2016_01_framed-1439099.jpg

For this evaluation, I used one of my standard match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings. When fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15s, this load has produced ½ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

005_match_krieger_with_55_blitzkings_and-1439085.jpg

Three, 10-shot groups were fired in a row from the Noveske SPR barrel from a distance of 100 yards with the resulting extreme spreads:

0.812”
0.732”
0.873”

for an average 10-shot group extreme spread of 0.81”. The three, 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius of the 30-shot composite group was 0.28”

noveske_spr_barrel_10_shot_group_02_JPG-1439092.jpg

The 30-shot composite group . . .

noveske_spr_30_shot_composite_03-1439091.jpg

molon_signature_005-1357735.jpg

N.B. - - This barrel was purchased prior to the untimely death of John Noveske.

….

Last edited:
Damn!! Thank you for the write up!!
I know my older Noveske is a damn good shooter....

I just sold an older noveske upper today... i feel like an idiot.

love our 14.5 CHF CL we got past Christmas on sale. Shoots very well with anything I've used with it.

How is the older shit any different from the newer shit? They make their own barrels on their own machines to their own specs, yeah?

Speaking of John Noveske, here's a number 70 of 250 Johnny Rifle, which came out right when he died. I think they maybe were supposed to have been signed by him? I think had they been actually engraved vs. just Cerakoted they may have attained a higher value too. Super light and handy. Still unfired, got it for the wife who turned into an ex, among other things.

IMG_0853.JPG

They make great shit and I've been using their barrels exclusively for SBR builds for quite a while now. Not only are they accurate, they also function reliably and the .300BLK barrels will work suppressed or not, supers or subs. No need for adj. gas block bullshit either.

Does anyone know how the Pac Nor fire affected Noveske? I thought their barrels were made in the Pac Nor shop.

love our 14.5 CHF CL we got past Christmas on sale. Shoots very well with anything I've used with it.

Noveske 16” N4 Barrel Accuracy Evaluation

16_inch_noveske_n4_02-1448322.jpg

I’ve posted short reviews of Noveske N4 Light barrels in the past, so for this article we’re going to take a more in-depth look at the Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel. For starters, Noveske’s nomenclature of “Light” for this barrel is somewhat misleading/confusing. When most shooters hear the term “light- weight” in regard to AR-15 barrels, they think of the “pencil” barrel profile of the original Colt M16/M16A1 and also the same light-weight profile of the Colt 16” carbine barrel found on the Colt 6520 and 6720. However, this is not the profile of the Noveske N4 Light barrel.

Colt M16/M16A1 barrel . . .

colt_20_inch_A1_barrel_02-1448324.jpg

Colt 6520 16” light-weight barrel . . .

colt_light_weight_barrel_with_gas_system-1448325.jpg

The stripped-weight (no flash hider, no front sight base/gas block, just the barrel and barrel extension) of the Colt 16” light-weight barrel is 1 pound, 6 ounces. The stripped-weight of the Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel is 1 pound, 12 ounces; which is the same stripped-weight of the Colt 16” government profile barrel found on the ubiquitous Colt 6920.

Colt 6920 government profile barrel . . .

Colt_16_inch_M4_profile_barrel_6920_05-1448323.jpg

Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel . . .

noveske_n4_16_inch_barrel_23-1448327.jpg

As you can see in the pics above, for the N4 Light barrel, Noveske has done away with the next-to-useless M203 (grenade launcher) cut-out found on the Colt government profile barrel. The N4 profile also has a more evenly distributed barrel diameter (and thus weight) fore and aft of the gas block journal, which moves the center of gravity of the barrel farther aft compared to a government profile barrel. This all makes for a superbly handling 16” barrel.

The reason that Noveske uses the “Light” nomenclature for their N4 barrels is simply because the N4 barrels are lighter than Noveske’s original medium contour stainless steel barrels. For comparison, the Noveske 16” medium contour Recon barrel has a stripped-weight of 2 pounds, 2 ounces and as mentioned above, the 16” N4 Light barrel has a stripped-weight of 1 pound, 12 ounces.

The Noveske 16” Recon barrel . . .

noveske_recon_barrel_out_of_the_box_fram-1448336.jpg

The Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel is a cold hammer forged barrel. It has a mid-length gas system, “M4” feed-ramps and a chrome-lined chamber and bore. The barrel has a 5.56mm NATO chamber and a 1:7” twist and has been high-pressure/magnetic particle tested; as the barrel stamp indicates. Contrary to erroneous Internet reports, the N4 barrel does not have polygonal rifling.

The barrel stamp . . .

nnef26zvhhneds44z1tgcut3kec4ybx0.jpg

The mid-length gas system . . .

noveske_n4_midlength_gas_system_01-1448329.jpg

For this evaluation, I used one of my standard match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings. When fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15s, this load has produced ½ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

005_match_krieger_with_55_blitzkings_and-1448321.jpg

Three, 10-shot groups were fired in a row from the Noveske 16” N4 Light barrel at a distance of 100 yards. Those groups had an average extreme spread of 1.26”. The three, 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius of the 30-shot composite group was 0.37”.

After firing the above three groups, I fired an additional five, 10-shot groups in a row for a total of eight, 10-shot groups fired in a row. The average extreme spread for all eight of the 10-shot groups was 1.24”. I over-layed all eight of the 10-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form an 80-shot composite group. The mean radius for the 80-shot composite group was 0.39”.