• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noveske N6 308.

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I load very little ammunition for semi autos. I recently put together an AR10 with a Noveske N6 upper and am going to start loading for it.

I am wondering if any of you guys are loading specifically for this rifle and might could give me some tips. Mostly about where to start with COAL.

I am going to break it in with FGMM 168 grain, because I have a bunch of it. If it shoots that well enough, say MOA or better, should I just stick with that OAL, or try to stretch it out closer to mag length?

Also, all I have is Lapua 308 brass. I am undecided as to whether I should use it, and risk chewing it up, or give up some quality (supposedly) and find some cheaper brass. Maybe LC?

Just wanting some general tips on how to go about it from some of you guys who may be loading for this specific chamber/barrel.

Re: Noveske N6 308.

From the press I read, you have one of the best uppers you can buy. If you spend that $$ on that upper, and want the benefit of what it can potentially do, why worry about what's happening to the brass. Unless you have a bolt gun, that will not beat your brass up, match the best, with the best. What will you be saving the high class brass for? You have a high class upper, so what's up with that.

This advice comes from a guy who thinks it's an insult to shoot BS surplus ammo from cross the pond, in a weapon as nice as an AR-10 (T) or SR-25. I shoot range brass in my AR-10 (T), and with 42.5 grains of 4064, and Nos.CC 168 HPBT's it doesn't care what the brass is. It shoots 5 shot groups consistent with what kind of night I had before going to the range. Your N6 should be no exception.

Now, all sticks are different. Start with a known OAL, get the best accuracy from the selected bullet and charge weight; then change the OAL as the last thing you do. That N6 will give you sub MOA at the start, with good ammo, if you can hold it. Pick your components and stick with them untill you have exhausted all the options, before changing anything. Guys swear by Varget, but for Nos. 168's I know my stick works with IMR 4064,and anybody's brass. That won't chage until I shoot distances where a heavier (175)or different (155 Sens)bullet may serve me better.