• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Noveske Recon scope needed, any suggestions

Jeeprider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
PA
Looking to put a scope on my Noveske Recon SS 16". This is a very accurate .223/5.56 upper so I would like the scope to be a high mag, good quality piece of glass. The rifle will not be used in a CQB/ Tactical role at all. More a static, prone, varmint gun. I had a NF 2.5-10 x 32, but for my shooting it wasn't quite enough magnification. So that option has been tried and passed on. I was thinking the NF 3.5-15 NP-R1 would be a good bet. Is there anything else out there I should be looking at? Something maybe not as costly 300-500 range? Are the the Super Snipers by SWFA worth looking at? I keep reading good things about them. Also do they make a higher mag variable scope besides the 3-9? I'm open to suggestions some of the Vortex scopes look nice as well. Thanks for any help.

Re: Noveske Recon scope needed, any suggestions

I have a 4x TA31A ACOG on my Noveske Recon, but I feel that more magnification would be useful. I was actually planning on getting a NF 2.5-10x32mm with the LV reticle. To me, any heavier/bulkier scope than that will add unwanted size to an otherwise handy AR.

You're right though, these Recon's are super accurate which tempted me to put on a higher powered optic.

Doesn't the IOR 2-12x have a elevation turret BDC for the 308 168gr? If so, how useful on an 16" 556?
It looks like a great scope but those BDC turrets scare me.

I would prefer a NF over an IOR if I were to do that price range. Any suggestions for a less pricey, but great scope? Looking for something in the 3-15 range and above. Like I said I had the NF 2.5-10 and it was good, but not enough mag and I would like to keep the price around 300-500ish...

While big scopes may "look" out of place on a 16" gun, given your application I agree high power is what you want.

The best bang for your buck would be the Vortex Viper 6.5-20. It's an excellent scope and a downright steal at the closeout prices. Get one while you can.

The Vortex Viper 6.5-20 looks great just wondering why it was discontinued? That makes me a little leery.

I believe it was discontinued only because they're replacing the entire line with new models. That scope has an excellent track record and everybody I know who has gotten one has been extremely happy--especially at the discounted price. I think I paid $400+ something and still felt it was a good value.

The 6.5-20x Viper has not been discontinued. Closeout pricing are on a couple; of different reticle version that will no longer be available.

Here is what is happening with Vortex in 2011: Link

ILya

A 2.5-10 NF is about the perfect scope for a 16 inch barrel AR15, what is your intended use, your not gonna be making 1000 yard shots with it.

Im jumping in late here but I hear where you are comming from! I agree that the NF 2.5-10 is a wonderful config for a tight shooting 16in! BUT if you want to see your shot placement at 300-400yd range THEN??? Thats why long range shooters have #1 spotters & #2 spotting scopes! I have two AWESOME Noveske rifles and one is an 18in N4 which is capable of much tighter groups at longer ranges BUT WHY? Well I would go with the 6.5-20! NOT!!!! It sound llike you want to be able to see your bullet holes at longer ranges! SPOTTING SCOPE!!!! 4.5-14 Leup is by far all you need MAX! I would honestly go with the IOR ot the NF 2.5-10! If money is no option I have SEVERAL other suggestions if you want to PM me!

I would seriously consider the NF 2.5-10. It is good mix of durability, quality, and magnification that suits an AR.

I personally have both a Trijicon TA31F on Larue QD and USO SN3 3.2-17 also on a Larue QD for my Noveske 16" Recce Low-Pro. The TA31F usually sits on my AR most of the time. The USO is for those times that accuracy is needed over speed. The USO will likely go my next rifle purchase which will be a dedicated long range one. I love both scopes.

I did try out a NF 3.5-15x50 and was impressed with its quality. I just could not pass up the USO which was the 20th anniv edition.