• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL Hunter One

Forward543

Dude
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Idaho
This is a place to duscuss the NRL hunter one matches.
Seems to be a solid move to get people a way to practice and engage a simpler cof. More of a match to shoot whatever toploader savage you have.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
Still havent seen the difference with NRL Hunter vs Hunter One. Can anyone who’s knowledgeable explain the changed ruleset?

I'm speculating it will be a one day match that will be aimed at drawing more shooters in. Lower round count and less stages. Maybe a change in the power factor calculation or classification to get more people to them.

Did the nrl have to get away from center fire matches because they weren’t popular? I thought @lowlight said they were booming while PRS was failing.

• Haha
Reactions: Mordamer
One, I think the PRS style of matches were getting stale. Second, once COVID and ammo shortage hit, seemed like my local Border Wars matches were about half the attendance they usually were. I didn't attend any national level 2-days so can't say for sure. Third, distancing themselves from whatever shit show the PRS has going on can't be a bad thing.

They struck gold with NRL22 and I think the NRL hunter stuff is a great format and premise. Hopefully it gets more people out shooting without having to drop $5k on proprietary equipment and ammo. Looks like Border Wars will still continue just as cash matches.

Stage design similar to hunter format. Simpler engagements than PRS style. Meant to emulate hunter stages, but allow everyone to watch and see what is going down. Similar scoring to Hunter series, i.e. 2pts first round, 1 pt second round, then target dead. Rules need to be ironed out as far as power factor, if any, and rifle weight. Likely be all gear stowed to start, and must pack all gear through stage. Effectively a 1 day series to get people engaged who want to use gear they would already have, and are turned off by the chaos of precision rifle.

One, I think the PRS style of matches were getting stale. Second, once COVID and ammo shortage hit, seemed like my local Border Wars matches were about half the attendance they usually were. I didn't attend any national level 2-days so can't say for sure. Third, distancing themselves from whatever shit show the PRS has going on can't be a bad thing.

They struck gold with NRL22 and I think the NRL hunter stuff is a great format and premise. Hopefully it gets more people out shooting without having to drop $5k on proprietary equipment and ammo. Looks like Border Wars will still continue just as cash matches.

NRL Hunter is even more of a gear race than regular PRS. Trying to make weight limits with competitive equipment makes it practically necessary to get carbon fiber Components, plus a good range finder, tripod, etc. Could you shoot the match with a stock Ruger and cheap bipods? Sure, same as you could in PRS. But you won’t be competitive.

NRL Hunter is even more of a gear race than regular PRS. Trying to make weight limits with competitive equipment makes it practically necessary to get carbon fiber Components, plus a good range finder, tripod, etc. Could you shoot the match with a stock Ruger and cheap bipods? Sure, same as you could in PRS. But you won’t be competitive.

Alright, show us on the doll where NRL touched you...

The more stupid shit I see from ALL rifle series, the more I want to stay in USPSA only

Reactions: EbTac
The more stupid shit I see from ALL rifle series, the more I want to stay in USPSA only

Have you been following the IG account "USPSA.insights"? There's exponentially more drama in USPSA than PRS. Also look at what's happening with the USPSA President position, Board of Directors elections, etc.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
He brings up good points. Lrf binos, tripod, and carbon fiber barrels. Unless hunter series really does a production class…

Is this considered an issue with NRL Hunter series? Is this an actual contention?

Serious questions, I don't shoot NRL Hunter series.

And the PRS "production class" is a joke, if you are trying to use that as an example.

He brings up good points. Lrf binos, tripod, and carbon fiber barrels. Unless hunter series really does a production class…
I do believe the Hunter series does a legit production class, complete with a list of rifles. As well, they allow for factory ammo in sealed boxes. This ammo doesn't have to meet power factor, but has to be 6.5CM or greater and 130gr or greater.

Have you been following the IG account "USPSA.insights"? There's exponentially more drama in USPSA than PRS. Also look at what's happening with the USPSA President position, Board of Directors elections, etc.
A. I don't GAF about people's personal dramas
B. Mike Foley got sacked for acting unprofessionally and against the best interests of the organizaton. The BoD did its job, though it acted later than it should have IMO
C. The BoD is acting like dipshits running their power play. But guess what, unlike other organizations, they are liable to lose their jobs too at the hands of pissed off members.

The difference is that members can check the board and president. Try sacking the owner of NRL or PRS

LOL

Cant make a 16 lb gun without carbon fiber? Want to shoot animals at distance without Range finder? Seems like maybe just upset it is not a wood stock 30 06 match.
I promise the guys winning would win with a factory tikka. As far as tripods, if you are engaged in field style application of a weapon, you may look into a tripod. There is an unmodified, big box weapon class. Yes a bino LRF is faster, but you can easily complete time with a stand alone LRF and a data card. The gear is not creating a disparity. If a shooter is struggling with their gear, maybe more practice is necessary. Like a one day series to test their equipment.

Is this considered an issue with NRL Hunter series? Is this an actual contention?

Serious questions, I don't shoot NRL Hunter series.

And the PRS "production class" is a joke, if you are trying to use that as an example.
The issue is it’s still similar to prs production class. Let’s not count the 1k lrf binos, 1k tripod, and 3k scope.

In that sense, nrl hunter production class is just as a joke as prs production class.

Reactions: Fowlmaster
Cant make a 16 lb gun without carbon fiber? Want to shoot animals at distance without Range finder? Seems like maybe just upset it is not a wood stock 30 06 match.
I promise the guys winning would win with a factory tikka. As far as tripods, if you are engaged in field style application of a weapon, you may look into a tripod. There is an unmodified, big box weapon class. Yes a bino LRF is faster, but you can easily complete time with a stand alone LRF and a data card. The gear is not creating a disparity. If a shooter is struggling with their gear, maybe more practice is necessary. Like a one day series to test their equipment.
Bino lrf also gives you the greater ability to identify targets. Good glass is going to give you a huge advantage in finding steel. At the end of the day, baller equipment is going to get Ws. I don’t see the best shooter with factory tikkas, sig 2400s, manfrotto tripod, and Jansport packs winning comps soon. Right gear has to go with the right game, it’s not as easy as the top shooter can do it with minimal gear; or prove me wrong.

I promise the guys winning would win with a factory tikka.
I made the 12# weight with a steel barrel. Mind you, it's not factory.

I watched Rusty Ulmer win the whole Buffalo Bill NRL Hunter match with a factory gun. I think he had three round magazines and he had to change them during each stage. I think it was a Savage.

I made the 12# weight with a steel barrel. Mind you, it's not factory.

I watched Rusty Ulmer win the whole Buffalo Bill NRL Hunter match with a factory gun. I think he had three round magazines and he had to change them during each stage. I think it was a Savage.
What tripod and lrf was he using?

I think he was using the Sig 3k binos. I don't recall the tripod or bipod he was using. The fact is, though, he was using an off the shelf rifle and having to change magazines mid-stage. I haven't seen anyone else give themselves that handicap.

You'll never make everybody happy. The good shooters are going to win no matter what equipment they have. Heck, I saw one guy's LRF binos get dropped and no longer work. His solution was to fire a round at the target and compensate on the second shot. He did fairly well if memory serves.

If the average guy goes out there with the gear he owns he's not going to compete. But, he'll get a better understanding of his gear and what works and what does not. Treat it like golf and compete against yourself.

I'm curios to know how many people commenting in this thread have actually shot a hunter match, or are they just bitching to bitch? If you don't have a decent rangefinder and binoculars, you suck as a hunter, period. There's no targets at any match I've been at that couldn't be cleaned with a factory Tikka, Rem, Savage, Bergara, etc. Equipment and time management has been the name of the game for matches I've attended. NRL has a loaner program for people to borrow rangefinders, rifles, and other equipment needed to compete. I'm not sure how people are bitching about an equipment race when the NRL is providing the equipment, all you have to do is ask.
The only piece of equipment that is kind of sucky is the tripods. From my experience, 90% of targets can be engaged without a tripod. I hope MD's will take the tripods into consideration when designing their course of fire, i.e. make stages that don't require a tripod to be competitive. I will say a bipod that extends to a sitting height is very helpful. A 13-27" Harris is more than sufficient. Any prone shots could be taken from resting on a pack rather than a bipod. I found my Atlas CAL to be an unnecessary piece of equipment that I won't be running on my rifle this year.
Lastly, I don't understand the comments about the CF barrels. There is no requirement to shoot in light class. If you want to run in light class, a CF barrel is nice. If you don't want to run light, simply shoot in heavy. 16 lbs should not be an issue. If you can't make it under 16 lbs, you've got a modified benchrest rifle; time to rethink your priorities because these matches aren't for you.
These hunter matches, along with the CD matches comes closer to encompassing shooter's skill as a whole. If you attend a match, you will likely see well known shooters struggle with time and equipment. If you're used to having targets pointed out with exact range, three foot of movement to a prop to throw your gamechanger on, and being able to watch the shooter in front of you to get wind calls, you're shit out of luck.
Is there refinement that needs to be done? Yes, absolutely. If you're crying about equipment holding you back in these matches, I have news for you; it's you, not the equipment.
Lastly, I've heard rumor that the NRL Hunter One matches will have little to no emphasis on prize tables. I really hope this is true. Nobody would be crying about gear if they didn't see someone pulling a better prize then them off the prize table. Prize tables need to go away. They're cancerous. The only problem I've seen at hunter matches were team Leupold guys pulling Nightforce and Vortex scopes off the prize table. That's a great look for Leupold, let me tell you.
I did see a Nightforce team member donate his prize to a 14 year old new shooter. I'll be 100% honest, I was going to get a 3-18 MK5 to run this year, but after watching their "representatives" at the match, I'm steering clear of Leupold. Rant over.

I think he was using the Sig 3k binos. I don't recall the tripod or bipod he was using. The fact is, though, he was using an off the shelf rifle and having to change magazines mid-stage. I haven't seen anyone else give themselves that handicap.

You'll never make everybody happy. The good shooters are going to win no matter what equipment they have. Heck, I saw one guy's LRF binos get dropped and no longer work. His solution was to fire a round at the target and compensate on the second shot. He did fairly well if memory serves.

If the average guy goes out there with the gear he owns he's not going to compete. But, he'll get a better understanding of his gear and what works and what does not. Treat it like golf and compete against yourself.

Rusty Ulmer is a bit of an outlier, and he's already a top shooter who would likely do well in any competition. I wouldn't say that 95% of the shooting population has a similar level of skill.

Like I said, can you run a stock Ruger and cheap bipods? Sure, but you likely won't be competitive for the top spot(s).

Bino lrf also gives you the greater ability to identify targets. Good glass is going to give you a huge advantage in finding steel. At the end of the day, baller equipment is going to get Ws. I don’t see the best shooter with factory tikkas, sig 2400s, manfrotto tripod, and Jansport packs winning comps soon. Right gear has to go with the right game, it’s not as easy as the top shooter can do it with minimal gear; or prove me wrong.
The factory division won or placed top 3 in multiple matches. You are correct that good glass helps, but does good glass not matter when hunting?
These matches are intended to be a test for the shooter, to test themselves and equip, in a simulated environment. Any hunter will not get the multiple years worth of shot opportunities in these matches, by just hunting. Maybe, just maybe, people will see the value in this type of competition to get repetitions with their equipment. The same guys would win if the competition was dictated to the exact same equipment for every shooter. That is a silly idea for a comp.

Last edited:
Rusty Ulmer is a bit of an outlier, and he's already a top shooter who would likely do well in any competition. I wouldn't say that 95% of the shooting population has a similar level of skill.

Like I said, can you run a stock Ruger and cheap bipods? Sure, but you likely won't be competitive for the top spot(s).
Guess that would depend on what you're considering a stock Ruger? A Ruger precision or some of their other better rifles? You absolutely could be competitive with anyone there. If you're referring to a $400 Ruger American, well, what exactly are your expectations at the match or in an actual hunting scenario? But, a guy I know ran a stock Ruger American Predator at the finale and did quite well.

Yes, Rusty is a fantastic shooter. I've been in squads with and next to him. The point I was trying to make is that the good shooters are going to win regardless of equipment. The average hunter can't compete even with the world's best equipment.

Reactions: D_TROS and Ledzep
Yes, Rusty is a fantastic shooter. I've been in squads with and next to him. The point I was trying to make is that the good shooters are going to win regardless of equipment. The average hunter can't compete even with the world's best equipment.

Totally agreed, but you're definitely handicapping yourself with "lesser" equipment. NRL Hunter One is still a competition, and theoretically people are signing up to do well relative to others, prize table or not.

Chassis/stock, barrels, bipods, glass, tripods, LRF Binos, ammo, etc. all make a difference to improve your probability of scoring points. If they didn't matter, then people wouldn't chase performance. Participating in NRL Hunter is a whole different matter than being competitive. Good reliable equipment is necessary but not sufficient to doing well.

The issue is it’s still similar to prs production class. Let’s not count the 1k lrf binos, 1k tripod, and 3k scope.

In that sense, nrl hunter production class is just as a joke as prs production class.

I don't believe that the NRL Hunter series was made in response to the challenges that are presented by the PRS production class. I could be wrong.

I'm sure NRL Hunter Series can be done better, like anything else. And hopefully it does with time. Like it or not, the equipment you reference is beneficial for hunting. Tripods, LRF's, etc. I don't think that's a fair critique of NRL Hunter Series.

I don't shoot NRL Hunter Series, so perhaps I'm way off base. But I feel like you and others are projected issues from the PRS unfairly onto another league.

I don't believe that the NRL Hunter series was made in response to the challenges that are presented by the PRS production class. I could be wrong.

I'm sure NRL Hunter Series can be done better, like anything else. And hopefully it does with time. Like it or not, the equipment you reference is beneficial for hunting. Tripods, LRF's, etc. I don't think that's a fair critique of NRL Hunter Series.

I don't shoot NRL Hunter Series, so perhaps I'm way off base. But I feel like you and others are projected issues from the PRS unfairly onto another league.

Nailed it!
Not to speak for Scott Saterlee, but he came up the format because he looked at his comp rifles and found no use for them outside of shooting competitions. He wanted to create a match that a guy could shoot a deer on Friday and go to a match and be competitive with it on Saturday, within reason. I guess breaking it down, a FFP scope that dials is a piece of equipment that maybe not many hunters run...but they should.
Another thing to consider is the round count. I think most matches are like a max of 144 rounds. I think around 90 is the most I've fired. I'm not sure how to quantify the experience, but somehow shooting 90 rounds in a hunter match is much for fulfilling than shooting 250 in a regular match. The cost savings of shooting 1/3 of the rounds of a regular 2 day match takes care of a lot of the entry fee, yet you get a better overall experience, imho.

Nailed it!
Not to speak for Scott Saterlee, but he came up the format because he looked at his comp rifles and found no use for them outside of shooting competitions. He wanted to create a match that a guy could shoot a deer on Friday and go to a match and be competitive with it on Saturday, within reason. I guess breaking it down, a FFP scope that dials is a piece of equipment that maybe not many hunters run...but they should.
Another thing to consider is the round count. I think most matches are like a max of 144 rounds. I think around 90 is the most I've fired. I'm not sure how to quantify the experience, but somehow shooting 90 rounds in a hunter match is much for fulfilling than shooting 250 in a regular match. The cost savings of shooting 1/3 of the rounds of a regular 2 day match takes care of a lot of the entry fee, yet you get a better overall experience, imho.

And what gun is Scott using in these type of competitions? From the pictures I've seen, he's running a $1600 MDT carbon fiber chassis with a $2k+ Nightforce scope, and a $800 set of double-pull Ckyepods, in addition to the super lightweight custom Defiance action. That doesn't include his RRS tripod or binos/LRF.

Tell me again that NRL Hunter isn't a gear race?

Scott ran a 300 win mag with factory ammo at the Buffalo Bill NRL Hunter.

It probably is a gear race to some degree for those who intend to compete for the top. But, I saw a lot of guys that were hunters that wanted to check it out.

Reactions: calshipbuilder
And what gun is Scott using in these type of competitions? From the pictures I've seen, he's running a $1600 MDT carbon fiber chassis with a $2k+ Nightforce scope, and a $800 set of double-pull Ckyepods, in addition to the super lightweight custom Defiance action. That doesn't include his RRS tripod or binos/LRF.

I don't recall that he ever shot for score, just for fun. I think he shot a .375 Ruger or something like that at one match. He was always there to have fun. He had what I believe was the first MDT carbon chassis last year and was letting everybody handle it and see it.

Who is saying that NRL Hunter Series was devised as a way to address the gear race issues of the PRS?

My impression is that it's a league designed around field matches with more hunting oriented equipment.

Again, I could be off base here. But I don't think NRL Hunter series was ever intended to do what you claim.

Who is saying that NRL Hunter Series was devised as a way to address the gear race issues of the PRS?

My impression is that it's a league designed around field matches with more hunting oriented equipment.

Again, I could be off base here. But I don't think NRL Hunter series was ever intended to do what you claim.

Reference started here.

I see.

I agree that it can be a gear race, like any competition that relies heavily on the use of equipment.

Anyone can distance themselves from the gear race aspect with a specific frame of mind. I personally couldn't give two shits about what other people are running for gear, nor am I in it to stand on top of podiums or to collect stuff off the prize table.

But you are correct in that this series is not immune from that mentality.

People bitching about matches they haven’t done while complaining about gear they don’t have. If this shit was all free some folks on here would still complain…but still wouldn’t compete lol.
I’m Playing devils advocate and complaining here as much as people complain on PRS. If you wanna test your gear out and not care for points, both Prs/nrl will help you out.

I wish I took photos of the guys flagging each other at nrl hunter match, would @lowlight blow up at nrl as much as he does Prs? absolutely not.

Just stop bitching and complaining, like I was, and get out and shoot. but If you think hunter is somehow vastly different and solves all the “gamer” issues; your wrong.

Attachments

• E9D8B176-31A9-430A-A767-72F80AB8380F.jpeg
    E9D8B176-31A9-430A-A767-72F80AB8380F.jpeg
    701.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 682B92E3-86C1-4A3B-8CCF-6072E4F3E751.jpeg
    682B92E3-86C1-4A3B-8CCF-6072E4F3E751.jpeg
    755.6 KB · Views: 210
  • E2D129C4-ABFD-41FB-B021-8562BA3570A7.jpeg
    E2D129C4-ABFD-41FB-B021-8562BA3570A7.jpeg
    679.6 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: LV Precision

I think it’s fair to say Prs has been beneficial in pushing scope, reloading, bullet industry forward. Yet snipershide shits on Prs continuously. Im just doing it to gear catered towards hunting. gun community loves eating itself. When you shoot a hunter match, let me know how different things really are.

I think it’s fair to say Prs has been beneficial in pushing scope, reloading, bullet industry forward. Yet snipershide shits on Prs continuously. Im just doing it to gear catered towards hunting. gun community loves eating itself. When you shoot a hunter match, let me know how different things really are.
I haven’t shot a hunter match yet, but I’m not aware of any prs matches that are blind stages with a find it, range it , and engage it COF. Either way arguing nrl vs prs is like arguing DNC vs RNC. At the end of the day they’re both shitty options.

I haven’t shot a hunter match yet, but I’m not aware of any prs matches that are blind stages with a find it, range it , and engage it COF. Either way arguing nrl vs prs is like arguing DNC vs RNC. At the end of the day they’re both shitty options.
What is your definition of blind? If you think competitors aren’t sharing wind calls and ranges at nrl hunter matches, your blind. If you think shooters aren’t staring at forward shooters on whether they use a tripod or prop, your blind. Some people like being blind though…

I'm curios to know how many people commenting in this thread have actually shot a hunter match

Funny you should ask.......

I've been searching the net for two days for any official website that describes what NRL Hunter is, under what rules you play, and where I could find one. I've found plenty of NRL and NRL22, but fuck all about "NRL Hunter" except this http://hunter.nrlsa.org/index.php/nrl-hunter-rules but I don't live in South Africa so I'm not sure if that is the same as here.

I tried using the keyword "hunter" in Practiscore and came up empty too. https://practiscore.com/search/matches?query=hunter

So what now?

This discourse is amusing. "So we are upset because the world isnt perfect, and here are zero ideas". "To the internet!"
These matches are a good alternative to sitting with the fudds arguing about a more dead animal with their .270. These matches are a good place to test your funcionality as a marksman. They are a good place to hang out with your buddies for the weekend and talk about something other than fucked up internet controversy.
They are not the perfect place to practice every aspect of hunting. They have some issues as far implementation. These are all run by match directors, with small amounts of meddling and marketing from a national level. If you want to be part of the solution, go run whatever outlaw match you want. Or a be part of moving these matches forward. If not you are just bitching on the internet.

I've been searching the net for two days for any official website that describes what NRL Hunter is, under what rules you play, and where I could find one. I've found plenty of NRL and NRL22, but fuck all about "NRL Hunter" except this http://hunter.nrlsa.org/index.php/nrl-hunter-rules but I don't live in South Africa so I'm not sure if that is the same as here.

I tried using the keyword "hunter" in Practiscore and came up empty too. https://practiscore.com/search/matches?query=hunter

So what now?
.308 it appears the website is down. There was nrlhunter.org, must be down for maintenance.

Reactions: 308pirate

So what now?

Working for me now... https://nrlhunter.org/

Reactions: 308pirate
What is your definition of blind? If you think competitors aren’t sharing wind calls and ranges at nrl hunter matches, your blind. If you think shooters aren’t staring at forward shooters on whether they use a tripod or prop, your blind. Some people like being blind though…

I'd agree with you here. This needs to be addressed. Also, rules need to be enforced equally when RO's call out a shooter for the violation.

This discourse is amusing. "So we are upset because the world isnt perfect, and here are zero ideas". "To the internet!"
These matches are a good alternative to sitting with the fudds arguing about a more dead animal with their .270. These matches are a good place to test your funcionality as a marksman. They are a good place to hang out with your buddies for the weekend and talk about something other than fucked up internet controversy.
They are not the perfect place to practice every aspect of hunting. They have some issues as far implementation. These are all run by match directors, with small amounts of meddling and marketing from a national level. If you want to be part of the solution, go run whatever outlaw match you want. Or a be part of moving these matches forward. If not you are just bitching on the internet.
I agree with you 100%. That's why I laugh when people complain at PRS. Either shoot it or don't. But the internet whining that happens is hilarious.

Reactions: LV Precision