• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22 and PRS Rimfire to New Hampshire

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
Looking to bring one or both of these to a New Hampshire club. I'm sure someone here is a match director who could bring me up to speed. I'm attending the board of directors meeting on November 1st to pitch the idea (it's gained a lot of attention from their Facebook page).

Outside of the $20 fee per year to register the club and $3? per shooter to register practiscore information what other fees is the club looking at aside from target packages and props?

We used to have NRL22 and Camp Ethan Allen in Vermont but haven't since pre-covid. Aside from Scarborough Maine there isn't another close by. PRS Rimfire I believe is Granby Mass. I think we'd have a lot of interest if we can get it off the ground.

Reactions: HPIguy
There is also a fee or two from PractiScore and the only payment method they allow, Stripe. They aren’t much, but should be considered. If I recall without looking, it’s less than $2/shooter.

Minor start up costs to buy or make props and or barricades.

Reactions: USMC22
It's the small fee's being cumulative that I'm not necessarily tracking I see as being the initial hurdles. Also getting a second person to help as an RO or match director.

Anyone with tips on being a MD and RO specific to these two sports I'd appreciate it. I ran ranges while active duty and have spent a lot of time, money and effort on growing as a shooter like most here but this will be a newer undertaking for me.

Best of luck getting it off the ground. I tried around here, and was basically told by local fudd ranges no movement with guns, on the bench only.

Best of luck getting it off the ground. I tried around here, and was basically told by local fudd ranges no movement with guns, on the bench only.
I'm hoping to not meet that type of resistance although I think the potential is there.

The thing they fail to see sometimes is what half the folks are doing "unsupervised" anyways. Leaving a bore sight in the end of the barrel and ready to fire comes to mind and that was just last week.

Reactions: HPIguy and lash
What club are you looking to start running matches at?

MMPRL used to run some matches at that range. They should be receptive.
I hadn't seen / heard of MMPRL doing any at the Pemi.

Club president called today to talk about it with me after I was ready to let it die off. I got an e-mail from someone in the club that was "speaking" for everyone and apparently that wasn't the case.

It's the small fee's being cumulative that I'm not necessarily tracking I see as being the initial hurdles. Also getting a second person to help as an RO or match director.

Anyone with tips on being a MD and RO specific to these two sports I'd appreciate it. I ran ranges while active duty and have spent a lot of time, money and effort on growing as a shooter like most here but this will be a newer undertaking for me.
There’s a pretty good thread on here somewhere talking about tips and methods that many use.

Your sanctioning organization (NRL/PRS) will make a difference as to how you’ll format your stages and even the way you set up props, etc. Match styles vary according to who is running them too.

Other than that, A few things that matter to me as an MD:

- safety. This needs to be stressed at the beginning of every match, no matter how seasoned or regular your attendees are. Safety is everybody’s responsibility and laying down the ground rules each time keeps this in their minds.

- target sizes. I prefer to have a decent balance is target sizes in any given stage. This means that I prefer that even a beginner not zero too many stages. Hits are important for newer shooters or else they could quickly lose interest. At the same time, I want the top shooters to be challenged during the stage.

- stage/cof difficulty. Similar to the above statement about target sizes. That said, stage difficulty will vary and this is good too. A balance between movement and target difficulty is always a goal.

- stage movement. I try and consider that some people are less mobile and agile as the top shooters. Having knee issues myself sometimes, I want that at least one stage takes this into account .

- scoring. If you can afford it as a club, make sure to buy some tablets for scoring and learn how to tie them into PractiScore. I consider this very important these days. As a side note to this, I often compare scores for all shooters at each stage to try and keep a balance to the stages. I look out for and prefer to change any stage that is either cleaned by too many shooters or zeroed by too many shooters. I like to see total scores are that in the 30-90+% range of all available points.

- variety. This is a constant concern for me, especially since our range is limited to a single firing line. Finding new and interesting, sometimes fun ways to mix it up is a constant.

All of that you probably already know and consider, but I figured that it wouldn’t hurt to lay it out there.

scoring. If you can afford it as a club, make sure to buy some tablets for scoring and learn how to tie them into PractiScore. I consider this very important these days. As a side note to this, I often compare scores for all shooters at each stage to try and keep a balance to the stages. I look out for and prefer to change any stage that is either cleaned by too many shooters or zeroed by too many shooters. I like to see total scores are that in the 30-90+% range of all available points.
Great idea. Amazon Fire for $60 each. The initial outlay might be pretty big- but really you're going to end up there anyway.

Reactions: lash and USMC22
I'm hoping to not meet that type of resistance although I think the potential is there.

The thing they fail to see sometimes is what half the folks are doing "unsupervised" anyways. Leaving a bore sight in the end of the barrel and ready to fire comes to mind and that was just last week.
Yep, agreed. I pretty much quit going to public ranges years ago over the stupid stuff I'd see.

Run some trial matches with paper scoring using the nrl COF without all the entries to national and associated fees. An “ outlaw” match if you will. Just to test the waters and interest with minimal investment. I attend a match set up informally by a local guy lots of fun no worries about national rules etc.

It seems like Pemi should be receptive. I know a guy that runs a two-gun match there once a month and I think it's reasonably well attended.

I hadn't seen / heard of MMPRL doing any at the Pemi.

Club president called today to talk about it with me after I was ready to let it die off. I got an e-mail from someone in the club that was "speaking" for everyone and apparently that wasn't the case.
That’s probably because it kinda got dissolved and became the New England region of PRS, not sure why they did that but that’s not the point here. I can definitely put you in touch with the right people if you want it to be PRS sanctioned, I shoot with the regional director a far bit during the year.

Reactions: lash and USMC22
That’s probably because it kinda got dissolved and became the New England region of PRS, not sure why they did that but that’s not the point here. I can definitely put you in touch with the right people if you want it to be PRS sanctioned, I shoot with the regional director a far bit during the year.
I appreciate it. I did the leg work for NRL22 and laid everything out for the club after attending the board of directors meeting.

I’ve gotten an email from the club saying to the effect of they’re not interested and then a call from the president asking me to brief the board of directors on it… they asked for an email with the requirements and budget. I did that and it’s been crickets.

At this point I’m looking into PRS Rimfire or NRL22 for next year and just commit to the drive.

Reactions: lash