• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22 Base Class

AK4900PA

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2013
Anyone have a list of rifles allowed in the 22NRL base class? When they say MSRP below $350, is it for that specific rifle or the model line? I could've sworn I read somewhere that as long as the manufacturers series had a model under $350 the whole series was allowed, but now I can't find that.

This was in the March COF pdf from the NRL22 organization.

Attachments

• E2A35424-E1C0-4EBA-83CC-F9719E2A115B.png
    E2A35424-E1C0-4EBA-83CC-F9719E2A115B.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 247
Thanks. I wonder why the CZ455 is a no go? My 455 scout has an MSRP of $339.?

My guess would be that the class of CZ 455 spans all the way from the Scout to the VPT ($298-$825 per Buds prices). To keep things easy, they likely just excluded the whole series.

No firsthand knowledge, though.

The cost for your scope cannot exceed $700 either, so you are screwed on both restrictions.
Although, that’s a fine place to be.

I believe modifications are pretty limited, if even allowed at all.

I’m just going from memory when I attended my first NRL22 match several months ago. I started out with a MKII FVSR in a Boyds Tacticool stock & bedded the barreled action. That excluded me from the stock category.

I just received my Vudoo a couple weeks ago and it improved my score dramatically in the March match.

Relevant changes for this year:

6) 5B1 Base class rule change for a hard $350 for specific model of rifle. Also allowing mods to the barrel channel and bedding.

This means that the specific model number (i.e. 1151) you have must be under $350 MSRP. Not the whole series (i.e. Ruger 10/22).

1. Approved Base class rifle list:
Ruger models: 10/22 Carbine (1103, 1151, 1256 models)

Savage models: Rascal FV—SR, B22 F Compact, 822 F Left Hand, Rascal Target, 64 FL, 64 FL XP, Rascal, Rascal Gator Camo, 64 FV-SR, Mark | GY, Mark II GY, A22, B22 F, Mark II FV-SR, Mark II FXP, 822 FV, 822 FV—SR, Mark II FV-SR Gator Camo, 64 F, 64 FXP, 64 G, Mark II F, 64 F Camo, Mark II FV, Mark II G, Mark II GL, Mark II GLY, 64 FSS, 64 FVXP, Mark | G, Mark II Camo, Mark II FVXP, Mark II FSS

Marlin: XT-22, XT-22R, XT-22RO, XT-22RZ, XT-22TR, XT-22TSR, XT—22VR, XT-22YR, Model 60, Model 600, Model 6088, Model 6OSN, Model 6038, Model 70PSS, Model 795

Mossberg: Blaze, 702, 801, 802

Remington: 597, 597HB

2. Excluded Base class rifle list:
CZ 455

I've asked about the CZ 455 exclusion before:

The match directors across the nation agreed that the CZ455 doesn't fit in base class since only 1 model barely makes the MSRP rule.

According to my (limited) research, the Scout is the only CZ455 model that has an MSRP of $350 or less. As noted above, last year any rifle in a series that had a MSRP of $350 or less, made the whole series eligible for base class. If you allowed the CZ455 last year, there would have been a slew of higher priced CZ rifles in base class. I suspect that the across-the-board CZ455 restriction is a carry-over based on that fact.

The whole Base Class 'issue' is very confusing. I know of a shooter who bought his rifle several years ago for $250. But because rifles in that series are now costing over $350, his is now not considered Base. How is that right? The same could happen with newer rifles too. One year it's Base, the next year...unbeknown to the shooter...or MD...the series price goes up. Very hard to keep track.

I like the concept of a Base Class, or a Production Class. But I don't think that only looking at the current MSRP is the way to go.

On every COF (course of fire) which is downloadable from the NRL22 website at https://nrl22.org/downloads/, there is a list of base class rifles (most current version listed in my post above) of all approved rifles. But the final judgement of if a rifle is allowed in base class is determined by the local match director.

Unlike last year, the series pricing doesn't matter. It's the MSRP of the specific model that determines base class eligibility. And yes, there were some people upset that their base class rifle from last year was bumped up into open class this year. You can't please everybody.

I didn't see it personally, but heard of an individual trying to argue that his very old Anschutz was below $350 MSRP when initially purchased a LONG time ago. Some people will always try to game the system.

There are new rules for 2019/2020. Base class is rifle and scope combo of $1050 MSRP maximum. Check it out.

So if we follow the “spirit of the rule”,
Base class is to promote new shooters into the sport.
It is not for experienced shooters.

NRL could make Classes ( novice, production, young, old, really old, women, young, old, pregnant (would that fall into a sub category of youth) white, brown, gay, straight, overweight, religion, and on and on) where would it stop?
At some point just go to a match with your rifle have fun, make friends, shoot straighter than the next guy and be safe!
Better yet,
Bring a new shooter with your cheap rifle to shoot and learn and get hooked on this like we are

Soooo anyone want to buy my savage MKII?

Last edited:
I've got both a Mark II and B22 FV-SR that I used for base class this year. I pulled the optics on them to use on other rifles, but plan on buying some scopes to put on them to have as loaner base-class rifles in case we have someone show up wanting to learn NRL22.

Reactions: Rover31
I'm just keeping the tradition as that's one of the things that got me interested in NRL22 from the get-go. I showed up to just watch a match at the beginning of this season and everyone there offered to loan me gear to shoot... including rifle, bags, ammo. While I'm not good enough to be competitive, I've learned a lot from the other shooters in our group and try to pass on whatever other useful knowledge I acquire.

anyone know with the new base class rules, "Any rifle system that comes in under a combined MSRP of $1050 shall be eligible to compete in Base class. This combined MSRP price is for the rifle and scope only."

how do stock changes figure in? like a boyds stock on a FVSR?
\

anyone know with the new base class rules, "Any rifle system that comes in under a combined MSRP of $1050 shall be eligible to compete in Base class. This combined MSRP price is for the rifle and scope only."

how do stock changes figure in? like a boyds stock on a FVSR?
\
The rifle has to be a stock configuration off the shelf. You can not replace/change the stock and still stay in base class. You can bed the rifle, put on a cheek riser, bipod, scope rail/rings but not change length of pull or the actual stock for another.