• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22 KYL Target color...Black or White????

TheGoatMumbler

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2020
I recently purchased a KYL target for practice and all the swingers are black. I've notice some clubs paint theirs white while others leave theirs black. The local match I shoot is black on a stage that might have just a 1/4" & 1/2" target and white on the full length KYL system. Is there a standard? It would be nice to practice on a target you'll see in competition.

Around here the norm seems to be black. I prefer it because they mostly stay the same color for everyone all day.

For practice I like white because hits are much easier to spot. I can walk down anytime and repaint.

We use whatever paint is laying around. If you want everyone to see the same paint it grey.....

My club paints them white also but after a few shooters all the white is pretty much knocked off. Half way through they will repaint them.

The one you will see in competition the most is kinda smashed lead colored - greyish/blackish.

And to add to the color wheel, I paint mine Yellow. ;)

Reactions: Redfisher60
The one you will see in competition the most is kinda smashed lead colored - greyish/blackish.

And to add to the color wheel, I paint mine Yellow. ;)
Practice how you will shoot. Targets around here are generally painted some color at the beginning of the match, but by the second or 3rd stage, all of the paint is shot off of them. That's a worst case scenario as far as visibility is concerned. Leave them unpainted so that you don't get used to only shooting pretty painted targets that give you something to aim at and tell you where you hit...

Practice how you will shoot. Targets around here are generally painted some color at the beginning of the match, but by the second or 3rd stage, all of the paint is shot off of them. That's a worst case scenario as far as visibility is concerned. Leave them unpainted so that you don't get used to only shooting pretty painted targets that give you something to aim at and tell you where you hit...

This. My match has decided (and probably rightly so) that all steel is painted at the beginning of the match only. Everyone gets at least one stage with fresh paint and after that they are varying degrees of paint missing. Color is whatever they chose for the day, I see no consistent color for the KYL here.

I paint targets after every two shooters, that way everyone gets nice targets to see their hits. Most of mine are black but some are in shade or against a dark background and white works better. I hate orange or pink targets, they look too "glowy" and usually don't seem to have definite edges. I don't think target color is that important as long as they can be found quickly and give a definite aiming spot. Some say a fine reticle disappears against a dark target but it's easy to bracket with subtensions.

Topstrap

My targets are painted only to distinguish which targets are for which stage. My KYLs are almost never white because they're in front of a static backboard/berm that's white. If you want good practice, battleship gray is the right color because like other people have said, by the time you shoot that stage it'll be all shot up.

We paint by stage at times, so it's called out "stage 1- Zombie green, Stage 2- Orange, Stage 3-blue"

If the stages are spread out (we have many, many bays that are mostly unused) lots of times it's simply black in the winter, white in the summer. Can't see white in the snow.

If you need to practice on the same color as the stages, you need to practice more on focus and mental exercises. Assume they'll all only have paint left on the stems shortly and just practice hitting anything you're aiming at.