• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NV and thermal kills...

Had a couple buddies come out last night. Got into quite a few...recovered 13. Grass in the first place was way too high to locate anything.

That .308 with a brake did not impress the guys to the side of me. It was kind of funny the first time, but by the second time I was about to get voted off the island.

Leaving out the two solo hogs.

20200815_215150.jpg

20200815_232155.jpg

Took my son's new father-in-law out Friday night. He's been hog hunting a couple of times in the daytime, but he's never seen one. His first time out thermal hunting we get into a sounder of 40+! Now he's spoiled!
20200814_221956.jpg
20200814_220630.jpg
20200814_220359.jpg
20200814_233316.jpg

Here's the video of the big sounder. Note: Dvr footage sucks compared to what I see in the view finder.

Attachments

• 20200814_233316.jpg
    20200814_233316.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200814_220359.jpg
    20200814_220359.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200814_220630.jpg
    20200814_220630.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200814_221956.jpg
    20200814_221956.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I've got a question for the hog experts here. You'll notice in this 2nd video from Friday night that this sow was cool ( shows up white on black hot setting). My buddy asked me when we're stalking the group, "why is that one white and the rest black in the thermal?" My reply: "she's been rolling around in mud." Simple enough right? (You can skip to 4:00 in the video)

Here's the photo of recovery:
20200814_233219.jpg

Spotless, no mud. In fact, she wasn't even wet, and was cool to the touch! What are your thoughts???

• Wow
Reactions: deersniper
Maybe crossover temp and the processing algorithm defaults to White?

I've got a question for the hog experts here. You'll notice in this 2nd video from Friday night that this sow was cool ( shows up white on black hot setting). My buddy asked me when we're stalking the group, "why is that one white and the rest black in the thermal?" My reply: "she's been rolling around in mud." Simple enough right? (You can skip to 4:00 in the video)
Spotless, no mud. In fact, she wasn't even wet, and was cool to the touch! What are your thoughts???
The pigs are adapting and using thermal countermeasures.
In the grass, If it wasn't moving, it disappeared.

The pigs are adapting and using thermal countermeasures.
In the grass, If it wasn't moving, it disappeared.
Good catch (about disappearing when not moving). Definitely looks like cross over now that I actually watch the video. The head remained black, but the body was blending in to the terrain. Classic cross over, that we'd see occasionally in still frame thermal imagery. The emissivity of the pig's body happens to match the surrounding grass, so the algorithms are making it match. When it moves, the movement (remapping the pixels' grayscale value) is probably causing it to get painted white as a default/error handling. Just a guess, but I've seen quite a few...overhead...thermal stills in my past life/career that exhibited this behavior. (Pretty weird seeing a truck drive across a river in thin air, and the bridge is "invisible" because it happened to have the same emissivity as the water, at the dwell time that the image was collected.) It doesn't happen often, but often enough for any experienced imagery analyst to pick up on what's going on...

Reactions: Concrete shooter
My cousin used to wear "tactical sandals" all the time, till he ran into a thorn apple branch on the ground.
Got infected and now he's known as 9 toes.
Nice shooting.
Here it’s mesquite and cactus. This time of year I have to do all I can to stay cool. A gallon of ice water and cool clothing every time. It was 102 in the shade when I left today, and 106 in my blind when I got to it at 5pm the other day. I understand sandals seem reckless. Hopefully I get to keep all my toes.

Next time take the picture with your bare feet and blow our minds by telling us you hunt without shoes because it makes you feel one with the earth. 😂😂😂

Reactions: Burning sensation
Took my F-I-L out ffg or his first thermal hunt.

Also made the mistake of taking my .223 for myself. Was using 64gr Speer Gold Dots.

Looking at the video I know I hit three, maybe four multiple times. After I stopped recording a lone small boar came to us and it took me three more shots to kill him
..plus another shot into a different boar to out it down.

I recovered three...but I may have missed one or two in the tall grass.

I got spoiled with that .308.

20200818_231435.jpg

20200818_232836.jpg

Last week 2 hogs were making a regular visit for 5 nights in a row about 10:15 So, Sat 8.15, I decided it was time again.
I sat on the front porch about 9:30 and by 10:10 I heard hogs squealing and grunting coming out of my right pasture. They were moving closer and I spotted them with a XP50 monocular. Somehow they got through the hog fence and I assumed they would stop at the feeder about 30 yards from the fence. Nope, they were at a full run headed up the pond levee, down the edge of the pond to the far feeder. Slung up the 6.8 and started walking to the tripod I had set up about 40 yards from the feeder. One was under the feeder and one about 10 yards to my right. Took the one under the feeder not knowing where the other would go. He headed right at me . He took 2 hits before he wend down about 20 yards from me. I gave him another shot to be sure. The first was 190# and the 2nd was 200#. The second photo is the one that came toward me. He almost ended up in the pond.

The third boar came in to the other feeder about 1:40. My motion detectors went off and I headed to the other tripod. Took him under that feeder.
This boar went 180#.
IMG_4918.JPG
IMG_0724.jpg

It was a very good weekend!

Left to right - 190, 200, 180

Took my Grendel build out for the first time using 123gr SST handloads.

Came across a sow with four shoats next to uncut grass. Managed to pop her and one of the shoats before they disappeared. Was walking out of the property and came across two decent sized boars. Two more down.

Five shots, five hits, four dead hogs. I'm impressed with the initial results. Ironically it was the ~40lb juvenile that took two hits to kill.

20200819_224525.jpg

20200819_221457.jpg

I guess it's too hot out and only the idiots are up in this heat, sweating their asses off trying to kill stuff...

...Anyway, in the middle of the heat trying to kill stuff, I found a new sounder on my property while I was actually kind of just semi scouting for deer movement...

I welcomed them with crap shooting and a bunch of wounded hogs that made it off the property...

...I blame the heat 😁

I guess it's too hot out and only the idiots are up in this heat, sweating their asses off trying to kill stuff...

...Anyway, in the middle of the heat trying to kill stuff, I found a new sounder on my property while I was actually kind of just semi scouting for deer movement...

I welcomed them with crap shooting and a bunch of wounded hogs that made it off the property...

...I blame the heat 😁

That Grendel isn't giving you bad luck is it?

Reactions: diggler1833

...I blame the heat 😁

Way better than I’ve done! I have not drawn blood on either of my last 2 outings (other than my own). Sunday night will most likely be an all-nighter. We’ll see if my luck changes.

It was like a sauna this evening down in the swamp. A total sweat fest. Lots of deer movement though. Finally about 9:30 this sow and a mate wandered in to the feeder. Got her but the other dodged me thru the trees. Had fun unloading the 6.8 and at least trying for a double.
2A9A8507-FB75-4514-A05D-7D56461E09CE.jpeg

That Grendel isn't giving you bad luck is it?

No, I just got way too confident in the cartridge and my ability...and got a reality check.

The SST did its job on the largest sow. She took a hit to the shoulder that made it into the lungs. She did what any hog should have done and ran about 80 yards before piling up. I did hit her in the rear a second time, but it didn't have much effect.

The 160lb sow took three hits, and all three made it through. The first two though were to thr top of the lungs and the rear again...neither being super quick killing shots.

I really got spoiled with the .308 the first half if this month. The 150gr bullets pretty much dropped everything they hit. I think I may have had to shoot three hogs more than once, but one of those was a series of subpar hits at 200 yards.

If you don't reload, it's looking like the .308 is the best option. $17/box for cheap 150gr hunting ammo, that is more effective than the $21+/box stuff for the Grendel or SPC.

I'll be primarily hunting with the Grendel this winter. I should have a good idea of how it does by next year with a larger sample of hogs shot (hopefully).

Way better than I’ve done! I have not drawn blood on either of my last 2 outings (other than my own). Sunday night will most likely be an all-nighter. We’ll see if my luck changes.

Sunday night us going to be hot as hell. I think by Mon/Tue it should be back to reasonable.

I'm tired of dripping sweat by the time I've gone 200 yards from the truck.

No, I just got way too confident in the cartridge and my ability...and got a reality check.

The SST did its job on the largest sow. She took a hit to the shoulder that made it into the lungs. She did what any hog should have done and ran about 80 yards before piling up. I did hit her in the rear a second time, but it didn't have much effect.

The 160lb sow took three hits, and all three made it through. The first two though were to thr top of the lungs and the rear again...neither being super quick killing shots.

I really got spoiled with the .308 the first half if this month. The 150gr bullets pretty much dropped everything they hit. I think I may have had to shoot three hogs more than once, but one of those was a series of subpar hits at 200 yards.

If you don't reload, it's looking like the .308 is the best option. $17/box for cheap 150gr hunting ammo, that is more effective than the $21+/box stuff for the Grendel or SPC.

I'll be primarily hunting with the Grendel this winter. I should have a good idea of how it does by next year with a larger sample of hogs shot (hopefully).
Why mess with anything else, If your main goal is to eradicate hogs and you've got a proven 308 that puts them down fast at any range and is cheaper to load or buy ammo for ?
You've also been hammering them with the 6.8 spc for awhile too.
308, 6.8, 6.5 .
Whats next, a suppressed .22lr pistol with subsonic ammo ?
Maybe a spear and loin cloth, with tactical sandals in the heat ? ;)
I'm just jealous, as it's two months before I get to blast anything in my neck of the woods(unless the chickens start dying), it's been pouring rain the last two days, I have a punctured ear drum and my old bird dog is limping bad.
If I had a busted truck and my roof was leaking on my 6.5 Grendel, I'd have the full makings of a hard luck country song.

Interesting and ironic your comments.....last night my hunting buddy and I were having the same conversation. We have both switched to .308 which has certainly helped in anchoring the hogs to the ground more effectively. And the cost and availability of ammo is much better than the 6.8 (outside of the current ammo run).

I took the 6.8 last night and it did what a 6.8 does.....entered the body cavity, jellotonized the inside and the piggie dropped DRT. But it was 35 yards. And even though it was a square shoulder shot, there was no exit wound or any visible damage. Noticeably different than the .308. Not as big a deal on the first hog first shot with ideal placement, but the .308 leaves the 6.8 behind (for me) once the running starts and I am just trying to get hits to get them to ground......particularly at distance.....and also when I shoot poorly....which is more often than I care to admit.

I enjoy your hunting story shares, keep them coming!

Sunday night us going to be hot as hell. I think by Mon/Tue it should be back to reasonable.

I'm tired of dripping sweat by the time I've gone 200 yards from the truck.
It definitely will be here too, and I won’t be out until just before the sun sets. I keep missing them by an hour or 2, and this Sunday is the my 1st chance in a couple weeks to put some time in out there. I usually don’t even have hogs around after late June???

Whats the effectiveness of .308 over 6.5cm? I know the energy can be similar when looking at long range models, but as far as killing effectiveness i am unsure.

Whats the effectiveness of .308 over 6.5cm? I know the energy can be similar when looking at long range models, but as far as killing effectiveness i am unsure.

It'll come down to shooter ability and bullet construction mostly.

.308 definitely has the edge in energy 0-300 yards, and usually will make a little bit larger hole. Shoot a hog in the ass/gut with either and it's still going to run though.

For a dedicated pig rig, I'm turning into a 16-18" .308 fanboy.

Reactions: Jgunner and BamaSE
Why mess with anything else, If your main goal is to eradicate hogs and you've got a proven 308 that puts them down fast at any range and is cheaper to load or buy ammo for ?
You've also been hammering them with the 6.8 spc for awhile too.
308, 6.8, 6.5 .
Whats next, a suppressed .22lr pistol with subsonic ammo ?
Maybe a spear and loin cloth, with tactical sandals in the heat ? ;)
I'm just jealous, as it's two months before I get to blast anything in my neck of the woods(unless the chickens start dying), it's been pouring rain the last two days, I have a punctured ear drum and my old bird dog is limping bad.
If I had a busted truck and my roof was leaking on my 6.5 Grendel, I'd have the full makings of a hard luck country song.

That .308 is going to my dad next month as the 77 year old is convinced that he needs a battle rifle. I'll get it back someday... but I hope it's not for a while.

My 6.8 will continue to wear my old Trail XQ38, and I'm breaking my F-I-L into thermal hunting with it. He's got 210 acres that his house sits on and I'm rarely on that property to keep the hogs down.

I'll probably run the Grendel exclusively this winter and give it a fair shake. I've got a few hundred more SST bullets, 200 factory Hornady SST rounds, and some 120gr Gold Dots and TSXs to try out. I'm hoping that I can use all of them bu the spring.

Not going to lie...I've seriously contemplated slapping together another .308 as I've got 1K 165gr soft points just sitting here looking at me waiting to be loaded...but the thought of dropping the money necessary to put a decent one together keeps me from pulling the trigger.

Reactions: BamaSE
Interesting and ironic your comments.....last night my hunting buddy and I were having the same conversation. We have both switched to .308 which has certainly helped in anchoring the hogs to the ground more effectively. And the cost and availability of ammo is much better than the 6.8 (outside of the current ammo run).

I took the 6.8 last night and it did what a 6.8 does.....entered the body cavity, jellotonized the inside and the piggie dropped DRT. But it was 35 yards. And even though it was a square shoulder shot, there was no exit wound or any visible damage. Noticeably different than the .308. Not as big a deal on the first hog first shot with ideal placement, but the .308 leaves the 6.8 behind (for me) once the running starts and I am just trying to get hits to get them to ground......particularly at distance.....and also when I shoot poorly....which is more often than I care to admit.

I enjoy your hunting story shares, keep them coming!

The .308 is leaps and bounds better on runners. My sample size was small, but nothing took a 150gr pill and made it off property...one 205lb sow did take a second shot...and one 170lb sow took multiple hits at around 200 yards before she died, but that was with 180gr bullets and I was hitting low with that softball like trajectory.

Reactions: BamaSE
.308 has nothing on the 6.5 creedmoor if that's what you meant. It is a step above the 6.5 grendel in the energy department.

What's the weight on the 308 your are using? I haven't compared weight of my 16" 6.8 to my 16" LMT 308 but it is a big difference. And I have to admit I suck at shooting the LMT for some reason. But when the "feels like" is 100 at 6:00am, that weight makes a difference for me (I'm old) if you are out most of the night.

What cheap 308 are you shooting? I had a bunch of the old blue box Federal 150 SP's I picked up years ago for $10-12/box but they haven't knocked them down like the 6.8 120SST's.

.308 definitely has the edge in energy 0-300 yards, and usually will make a little bit larger hole. Shoot a hog in the ass/gut with either and it's still going to run though.

For a dedicated pig rig, I'm turning into a 16-18" .308 fanboy.

You can usually figure that most 16-18" builds are going to add some weight. Configuration is everything there, but my personal setup is about a pound and a half heavier than my 6.8.

I had the exact opposite performance out of 150gr Federal Power Shok. I shot 6-7 hogs with the box that I used, and it plowed what I hit (265lb boar, 240lb sow, 190lb boar, and 3-4 in the 75-90lb range). Likewise, I had great performance out of the one box of cheap 150gr Winchester Power Point stuff (275lb boar, 205lb sow, 2x 190lb sows and one 40lb shoat).

I've killed around 75 hogs with the 6.8/120gr SST. Results are usually pretty good, but I came to expect to have to shoot big runners a couple of times before they piled up.

In my limited experience the .308 about cuts that in half...and you can get cheap hunting ammo for less.

I went from using my old issued sling from the 2006-2010 era to using a VTAC padded sling...I prefer the latter tremendously.

Last edited:
I have only ever shot 90g Gold Dots out of my 6.8, both 12.5” and soon to be 18” build. The 12.5” barrel spits them out around 2650fps and I’m expecting the 18” to be closer or slightly above 2900fps. While there’s no replacement for displacement (.308 is already .031” bigger before expansion), I prefer lighter weight builds for any amount of walking.

If I’m stationary or mobile on wheels, be hard pressed to go with an AR-10 or heavier bolt gun. Really no question about it.

I have only ever shot 90g Gold Dots out of my 6.8, both 12.5” and soon to be 18” build. The 12.5” barrel spits them out around 2650fps and I’m expecting the 18” to be closer or slightly above 2900fps. While there’s no replacement for displacement (.308 is already .031” bigger before expansion), I prefer lighter weight builds for any amount of walking.

If I’m stationary or mobile on wheels, be hard pressed to go with an AR-10 or heavier bolt gun. Really no question about it.

I bought quite a few 90gr Gold Dots before reading from several guys who used it that they were having sub-par results...it really shocked me because on paper a near 3K FPS lightweight bonded bullet that gets 2x expansion looks great. I guess it worked decent on deer, but too many hogs were running off, and several of those guys are an acquaintance of mine so I have zero reason to doubt them .

Lightweight is a huge plus for me too. I spend 95 percent of my hunting stalking around a property. Unfortunately for me, I'm always finding something that works better....it just adds a pound here and there.

Lightweight is a huge plus for me too. I spend 95 percent of my hunting stalking around a property. Unfortunately for me, I'm always finding something that works better....it just adds a pound here and there.
Just weighed my 35 gunner rig, with a fully loaded mag, Thermion and brass catcher. 10.5 pounds.
Add the e caller, spare batteries and other gear, I'm probably carrying around another 20 pounds of weight.
That's why I have multiple modes of transport to help me get to where I'm going.
As with everything to do with hunting, my modes of transportation have also evolved, with better, more expensive and quieter ways to get me to my hunting areas.
I have a fold able mountain bike for when I'm feeling peppy, gas UTV + ATV, Bad Boy UTV, fold able fat tire mountain E bike and now I'm in the process of getting a fold able off road fat tire E scooter, with a removable seat.
I used to dread getting to my stands or hunting areas by foot, but riding at night to my stands with my PVS7's(with lanyard !) on a quiet mode of transport has made hunting enjoyable again.
Not to mention the time it saves getting from point A to point B.
I also use them during regular hunting seasons and because the bike and scooter are fold able, I can pack them in the truck/van and use them almost anywhere.
Do yourself a favor and check out battery powered off road modes of transport.
Sorry for getting off topic, but Maybe this will change the bitchin about the heat, to the regular bitchin about spending money on gear !
Carry On.

I definitely believe that more displacement + more weight is more effective in most cases, assuming shot placement & bullet construction are equal, and velocity is similar. The 6.5 SAUM I use for deer has killed a good number of hogs, and I had pretty good results with a 6.8. The 30 wssm & 308s I’ve used just seem to work better. There’s enough of a difference that I’ve gone to a 15lb 338 Federal for roughly 30-40% walking, the rest hiding in the brush, tree or in a blind. Backpackers say 1# of weight on your feet fatigues as much as 5# on your back, so really I’m not as overloaded as it may seem...at least that’s what I tell myself.

Reactions: Jgunner and BamaSE
I definitely believe that more displacement + more weight is more effective in most cases, assuming shot placement & bullet construction are equal, and velocity is similar. The 6.5 SAUM I use for deer has killed a good number of hogs, and I had pretty good results with a 6.8. The 30 wssm & 308s I’ve used just seem to work better. There’s enough of a difference that I’ve gone to a 15lb 338 Federal for roughly 30-40% walking, the rest hiding in the brush, tree or in a blind. Backpackers say 1# of weight on your feet fatigues as much as 5# on your back, so really I’m not as overloaded as it may seem...at least that’s what I tell myself.
I know diameter of bullet makes a difference, its splash in flesh its just as easy to see it while dropping rocks into still water. Wider and heavier make a bigger splash, but so can speed. I typically run bergers for hunting medium game and its been devastating with 6.5’s.
I tried a .308 smk on a deer, and it died very fast, but that was due to the double lung shot, it cleared the deer taking a fist sized chunk as it hit a rib on the way out. Looked like i drilled a hole in it until it hit the rib. Poor choice. I have also shot a javaline with 77gr smk’s and they cleared as well out of a sbr .223. Last time i used that bullet.

bergers have been impressive. 28 nosler took out 2 shoulder to shoulder coyotes at 200 yards like a point blank 00 buck shotgun, but didn’t touch the THIRD coyote that was only inches from its kin. Almost got a triple(my buddy, not me).

the more stuff i shoot the more I understand that not all game is created equal. Pigs and tough animals need more ass to a bullet than a deer or coyote. Although a berger 130 6.5 flying at 2900 fps Will toss a shoulder off a javalina(way smaller than feral pigs) onthe exit if you are not careful.

Speed is something, but really the best thing about a fast round is that it helps to compensate for error in leading a running target...It's along the same lines as a flatter cartridge taking out some error in range estimation.

Sometimes we really overthink these things when we're on the internet with nothing to do but overanalyze every last iota of equipment. Any legitimate hunting cartridge and bullet will do. Pigs aren't superhuman, but they are a little harder to kill quickly than other animals in North America. A 6.5 CM is an extremely good cartridge for hogs...and it should be as it offers several hundred FPS and ft/lbs over the 6.5 Grendel (another great hog cartridge).

Larger cartridges with more energy will kill faster...especially on runners. It's not about speed here, it's about transferring as much energy into a moving target that four times out of five wasn't hit perfectly. The 300 magnums and the .223 can kill deer just the same...but the magnum is going to offer the hunter more margin of error.

Another great thing about larger cartridges is that you don't have to run premium bullets to get better results than smaller cartridges. The $24/box of 100 Hornady or Speer 150-165gr soft point stuff for a .308 is going to drop pigs faster than your 70 cents per all copper boutique bullets in 6.8 or 6.5G, or any 6mm etc... In many ways, the old .308 is actually cheaper to feed.

And while I'm at it: the Hornady SST is one if the finest hog bullets in any caliber. Plus they work well on coyotes *IF* you put it lengthwise through them or on the shoulder. Run a 129 or 140 in your Creedmoor with zero worries.

Found two, maybe three juveniles from a sounder I've picked apart at a property I hunt. Biggest problem was that they were in thigh to waist high grass. Spotted them from a hill and then played the guessing game for a while before they walked out enough to shoot (or see again for that matter).

Hit the first one twice, and dropped the second one as it was running off. I only found the second one, but I'm sure the first one was dead. It lurched and fell before I transitioned to the other. I almost walked on top of the second before I saw it.

20200901_225449.jpg

Not really a kill, more like a capture. Saw something across a field a couple nights in a row. At first I thought it was an owl, but after the 3rd night of never moving and being in the same spot I went to investigate. Turns out it was a wild honey bee hive.

54EE1041-9397-42CA-9670-80C2D4507A06.jpeg

Found two, maybe three juveniles from a sounder I've picked apart at a property I hunt. Biggest problem was that they were in thigh to waist high grass. Spotted them from a hill and then played the guessing game for a while before they walked out enough to shoot (or see again for that matter).

Hit the first one twice, and dropped the second one as it was running off. I only found the second one, but I'm sure the first one was dead. It lurched and fell before I transitioned to the other. I almost walked on top of the second before I saw it.

View attachment 7414201

Maybe it's time to use a tree stand/blind(?)

Maybe it's time to use a tree stand/blind(?)

I think you will be hard pressed to find many hunters with less patience than I have. I can sit for a few hours if need be, but mentally I'm chasing squirrels after five minutes. In the dark it's even worse. My hat is off to all that can sit motionless and concentrate on a bait pile for a half-day or more.

At least when I'm stalking I have something to pay attention to, and I'm able to focus five times more.

I think you will be hard pressed to find many hunters with less patience than I have. I can sit for a few hours if need be, but mentally I'm chasing squirrels after five minutes. In the dark it's even worse. My hat is off to all that can sit motionless and concentrate on a bait pile for a half-day or more.

At least when I'm stalking I have something to pay attention to, and I'm able to focus five times more.

I hear you, and understand. <shrug> I started hunting with a bow, in North Carolina...you spend a lot of time in a deer stand staring at the ants crawling up the tree, waiting for the witching hour when the deer began to mosey on through your area....

I managed to come across a few last night. Pretty sure I left at least one out there.
It's good to see that the thermion can perform in the high humidity and your getting some more kills with the grendel.
I'm sure the landowner is happy to see you taking hogs off their property and once you get accustomed to the layout, you'll be getting more kills with the combo there.

With this Thermion, I've noticed a bit less sensitivity to humidity than my old Trail. Unfortunately, I've blown out about two dozen pixels shooting it...so it will eventually have to go back to Sellmark (next year) for repair work. However, as long as it is working well otherwise I am going to hold onto it until next spring.

I probably could have fired for a while at the sounder as it was running away. I could see the security light from the house (it was on top of a small rise), and thought it was actually closer...still...I'd much rather have to go back and hunt again than poke a hole in somebody's place at 11pm. I didn't realize that it was over 3.000 feet away until I did my Google Maps distance measurement the following morning.

That new property is well over 1,000 acres and is loaded with deer and coyotes. Walking straight lines it takes 1.3 miles to get to the back of it. I'll much prefer hunting it this winter. I was soaked when I got back to my truck. Drank a 1.5L bottle of water before I got home and didn't even wake up needing to go to the bathroom the next morning.