• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NV and thermal kills...

The night is young, and one is already on the ground.
794DB2CD-FE93-4EE4-AC59-44307FB35255.jpeg

They were caught at night and shot at night using NODs, but in a pen.

PVS-31a and high mounted RMR. 300 BO with SIG’s SS hunting round.

Attachments

• 95CA87B6-98DD-4C0E-B0C1-FDF0A3FE05F6.jpeg
    95CA87B6-98DD-4C0E-B0C1-FDF0A3FE05F6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
I see you've recovered quite nicely from C19. ;)

Is the ammo you used the one with a yellow Palomar tip? Headshots?

whatever it was, it sucked.

The ammo was the yellow palomar tip, and yes head shots. The only reason I used it is because of how close I was to several houses. I needed to be quiet. If I had been out on a farm it would be different. It did the job though.

One more piglet factory in the dirt. We had a sounder of about 30 come out, and I let my buddy shoot first to give him a better chance at his first pig. He missed, hog fever I guess. I managed to knock one over before they all made it into the trees.
View attachment 7316056

Anyone who can kill pigs while traipsing around in Jesus sandals is tougher than me. Good job.

Anyone who can kill pigs while traipsing around in Jesus sandals is tougher than me. Good job.
Hahaha! Thanks, I don’t know about tough, I just hate pulling a few cactus thorns out here and there less than I hate sweating all night. I do love my Jesus sandals! Nothin like a nice breeze between your toes while stalking pigs.

Reactions: TACC
Had a buddy have one of his beagles killed and another wounded badly doing some rabbit dog training. It happened in a thicket near a swamp and he thought it may have been hogs as there are quite a few in the area.

I went over and looked and was pretty sure it was the work of coyotes. I got one 2 nights ago but I wasn’t fishing it out of a beaver pond. Went back tonight and called this pair in from just about the exact spot where the one beagle was killed.

E3C97FD4-677B-46A2-95ED-BF4BB9759387.jpeg

2D34CB0E-4376-484F-A4B0-A9739AC1358F.gif

let’s change things up a bit. Rat hunting with the thermal is every bit as fun as hog hunting with a fraction of the work.

I hope the videos work. I haven’t tried posting Imgur video uploads before.
ARbiLMY.mp4
i3Mc4WM.mp4
3BA13011-2801-4D8F-8CF5-4FD1146D3C14.jpeg

IDK if I mentioned it, but I might be helping a large local farm out if they get a depredation permit approved from the State to cull deer that are destroying soy beans. They have about a 60’ tall feed lot silo with a flat roof that one should be able to see most of the fields from. Over a mile sight distance from there. I’m thinking Hootiewho might be having some nocturnal fun here directly.

let’s change things up a bit. Rat hunting with the thermal is every bit as fun as hog hunting with a fraction of the work.

I hope the videos work. I haven’t tried posting Imgur video uploads before.
ARbiLMY.mp4
i3Mc4WM.mp4
View attachment 7327604
That looks like a blast! I see rats run around on the ground all night when I hog hunt. I’m ordering a picatinny rail for one of my MK2s today.

It's real easy to Monday quarterback yourself after it's all over, but having enough time to get a thorough game plan before the first shot is pretty rare. One down is better than none down...good job.

Reactions: MarinePMI and TACC
It's real easy to Monday quarterback yourself after it's all over, but having enough time to get a thorough game plan before the first shot is pretty rare. One down is better than none down...good job.
I’m pretty sure the one that got away was a big black & white boar I’ve been after. We’ve had a good bit of rain in the last week, which seams to get them out of the trees and moving. Makes it harder to get my truck in and out, but I’ll be after him and the rest of his buddies.

I’m working with a local farmer who has been having bad issues with deer destroying crops. He got our permits squared away yesterday and tonight I shall be culling deer. Big wide open fields, deer everywhere. Should be interesting.

I’m working with a local farmer who has been having bad issues with deer destroying crops. He got our permits squared away yesterday and tonight I shall be culling deer. Big wide open fields, deer everywhere. Should be interesting.
Sweet baby Jesus I’m jealous

LOL so evidently it happens with night deer hunting too. Go out last night, tags in hand. Been seeing anywhere from 6-25 deer a night. Not a damn deer to be found. All was not lost. I finally caught up with some feedlot bandits on this farm who have been eluding me. 4 total nice sows. I had 2 on the ground and 2 more blood trails that I’ll go back this afternoon and look for. Also had 3 more beagle assassins show up. Dropped the first in the field from a head shot at around 250 yds. The second one I clipped at about the same distance as she was trotting and put an anchor shot into her. The 3rd stopped waaaay out there. He/she did the coyote whirlybird boogaloo for a second then darted into the woodline at the swamp. I’ll check for it later on as well. It was a safe shot direction wise, I just wanted to try my luck and feel pretty good about the shot and connecting. Had good side light from a nearby chicken house.

DDEE84EF-F293-42AD-889F-2364C551B70D.jpeg
1EAB2BE2-C994-4082-B700-2A330665DA14.jpeg
94938E2C-B9C4-4EE2-8B14-0B090D185696.jpeg
F48E55D3-47ED-4171-AF10-32E88C153B4A.jpeg
DDEE84EF-F293-42AD-889F-2364C551B70D.jpeg

Last edited:
Not bad! I usually have an M&P on me too, but I have yet to take a hog with it.

I hated mine until I changed out the trigger, sights, and stippled the grip. Now I can get it to shoot like a dream. That was the fourth hog I've killed with it, although one of those kills was on a snared boar.

E3D62785-088A-4F79-8A03-B87E6CB0A78B.jpeg
3F73FB19-8C4D-49F8-A4C1-3E6423C90644.jpeg

Took out 3 more deer last night in a soybean field. Two lay dead circled in red. The top one was first as they were both together at that location. I dropped the top one and the deer pictured at the bottom began to run nearly right toward me. The 2nd one made it about 100 yards in a full tilt run and and I was able to land a shot in the neck, causing it to roll and tumble. Yardage on the RAPTAR was the 1st (top) deer’s location. I shot another one about an hour later just over 400 yards.

Also came across a fat copperhead last night and sent him packing forever.

I have been running the Barnes Vor-Tx 95gr LR 6mmCM load and it is doing a hell of a job.

View attachment 7334585View attachment 7334586

Took out 3 more deer last night in a soybean field. Two lay dead circled in red. The top one was first as they were both together at that location. I dropped the top one and the deer pictured at the bottom began to run nearly right toward me. The 2nd one made it about 100 yards in a full tilt run and and I was able to land a shot in the neck, causing it to roll and tumble. Yardage on the RAPTAR was the 1st (top) deer’s location. I shot another one about an hour later just over 400 yards.

Also came across a fat copperhead last night and sent him packing forever.

I have been running the Barnes Vor-Tx 95gr LR 6mmCM load and it is doing a hell of a job.
Are you in a have to eat them state or have to leave them lay state?

Are you in a have to eat them state or have to leave them lay state?

I was told so long as the tag stays with it, they could be consumed. I’m trying to verify from 2 other wardens because like any other Agency, if you ask 5 of them you’ll get 5 different answers.

I was told so long as the tag stays with it, they could be consumed. I’m trying to verify from 2 other wardens because like any other Agency, if you ask 5 of them you’ll get 5 different answers.
Lucky if you don’t have to. Everyone wants a deer until it’s time to pick one up

Reactions: TACC and Hootiewho
Lucky if you don’t have to. Everyone wants a deer until it’s time to pick one up

That is 110% the truth. When they say yeah I’ll take one, they are really saying if you dress it out and process it for me. I tell them to bring me a cooler. I’ll quarter it out and put it on ice for them. 98% of folks will not even do that.

They told me I could leave them, eat them, whatever, so long as the deer was tagged. This farmer and his family own a lot of land and hate hogs and he hates deer. It is like a little piece of heaven.

That is 110% the truth. When they say yeah I’ll take one, they are really saying if you dress it out and process it for me. I tell them to bring me a cooler. I’ll quarter it out and put it on ice for them. 98% of folks will not even do that.

They told me I could leave them, eat them, whatever, so long as the deer was tagged. This farmer and his family own a lot of land and hate hogs and he hates deer. It is like a little piece of heaven.

We need to crowdsource you some sort of video recording options. Would be cool to see what you see through the scope.

I’m working on it. I hope to have something working by the end of next week. I once owned one of the Torre Pines units but it was not ideal. Wouldn’t have worked with my scope anyhow.

That sounds amazing. I don’t think I’ve ever met a farmer who hates deer. The deer quality is fairly low here, other than on high fenced ranches, but most people with land want to charge hunters a lot more than the deer are worth.

Most Americans are fairly spoiled by easy access to meat. I have a close friend who grew up in Vietnam who will pay me for whole young wild hogs that I shoot if I let him. I help him keep his freezers full, nobody else wants to get their hands dirty.

I’m going to pick up one of the side shot cams, and have a buddy machine 2 arms to mount to a Spuhr mount in place of the tube mounted system they have.