• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NV vs Thermal Effective Ranges

@TheHorta
I don’t think mines perfect but it’s within two tenths of a mil. TBH I haven’t shot any groups on paper. I don’t have a good thermal paper target. But when I shoot at the ipsc hostage setup with heater on back that I posted about (here:
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/poor-man’s-thermal-targets-clipir-elr-video.7195970/ ) I tend to need to come down a tenth and then crowd the hostage lol or I shoot over the bad guy head. That’s at 415yd so maybe not the best setup for “science”. My groups have probably opened up a little bit but I just assumed that was my difficulty getting a consistent thermal sight pic. It’s just not as precise as using 1/2” or smaller dots with a day scope. Aim small etc etc.

You’ve got me curious though so if you have a recommended way to confirm the shift I’d be happy to try it.

Sn ends in 059 (I’ll pm the whole thing to you if it’s important)
Rifle is impact by Wade in terrys stock and EFR rail (I forget what Terry calls it) with nf 7-35 in sphur mount. Tbac can

View attachment 8334289
Is that the trigger cam 2.1? If so, how do you like using it at night?

@TheHorta
I don’t think mines perfect but it’s within two tenths of a mil. TBH I haven’t shot any groups on paper. I don’t have a good thermal paper target. But when I shoot at the ipsc hostage setup with heater on back that I posted about (here:
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/poor-man’s-thermal-targets-clipir-elr-video.7195970/ ) I tend to need to come down a tenth and then crowd the hostage lol or I shoot over the bad guy head. That’s at 415yd so maybe not the best setup for “science”. My groups have probably opened up a little bit but I just assumed that was my difficulty getting a consistent thermal sight pic. It’s just not as precise as using 1/2” or smaller dots with a day scope. Aim small etc etc.

You’ve got me curious though so if you have a recommended way to confirm the shift I’d be happy to try it.

Sn ends in 059 (I’ll pm the whole thing to you if it’s important)
Rifle is impact by Wade in terrys stock and EFR rail (I forget what Terry calls it) with nf 7-35 in sphur mount. Tbac can

View attachment 8334289

The good way to check for collimation in on a test rail and target. I use our ELR test rig, a long rail on a 6- lb jig and the 100 yard test target. I use a nail as the aiming point, align the day scope on center. Torch the nail a bit for a small hot spot, mount the thermal an dial as needed to center. I get .2 mil L on my Theon ELR, .1 R on my PVS-27 and .1 D and .2 L on the CNVD-LR. For the I2 stuff I use a mini IR Cylume stick held point on. Takes shooting/holding out of the equation.

The good way to check for collimation in on a test rail and target. I use our ELR test rig, a long rail on a 6- lb jig and the 100 yard test target. I use a nail as the aiming point, align the day scope on center. Torch the nail a bit for a small hot spot, mount the thermal an dial as needed to center. I get .2 mil L on my Theon ELR, .1 R on my PVS-27 and .1 D and .2 L on the CNVD-LR. For the I2 stuff I use a mini IR Cylume stick held point on. Takes shooting/holding out of the equation.
Sounds like work. I hate work.

Is that the trigger cam 2.1? If so, how do you like using it at night?
yes. tbh, i haven't used it much at night. it's kind of a PITA during the daytime. Part of that is because I'm using it on a scope where the entire ocular spins, and it won't fit over the ocular of the leupold compact spotter 12-40x. it works, takes good video, etc, but there's a lot of room for improvement.
seems like you'd want two shorter rails set up like a jointer/planer. or where you could change both the height and angle of one relative to the other. one long rail seems like testing the best possible scenario, no?

yes. tbh, i haven't used it much at night. it's kind of a PITA during the daytime. Part of that is because I'm using it on a scope where the entire ocular spins, and it won't fit over the ocular of the leupold compact spotter 12-40x. it works, takes good video, etc, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

seems like you'd want two shorter rails set up like a jointer/planer. or where you could change both the height and angle of one relative to the other. one long rail seems like testing the best possible scenario, no?
You can add a riser or change the scope mount height for full testing purposes. I have scopes with assorted mounts on hand, so for me it's easy.