• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NX8 vs Razor gen2

Adkhunter3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2020
    Earth
    How does the gen2 Razor stack up against the NX8? I have a NX8 4-32. I like the size, weight, turrets all great. I’m a fan of the magnification ring not turning with the eye pieces like it does in the ATACR. Pretty good glass too. Only drawback for me is touchy parallax. I have no time behind a razor so just curious how it compares in general and for durability? I saw franks tracking list and pretty much 100’s across the board for the razors got my attention.

The size and weight is the only advantage the NX8 has over a Gen II Razor. I would pretty much give the Vortex the nod in every other category.

The weaknesses of the NX8 are pretty well documented. I think it makes a decent hunting scope. One target, one distance, time to get it set up correctly and take your shot. I found the eyebox, shallow depth of field, parallax, and the goofy glass distortion too user unfriendly. The Razor doesn't suffer from any of those issues.

I have a nf 4-32. Love it except I wished the center dot wasn't so congested. That's my only gripe.

Reactions: lennyo3034
    I was a big fan of vortex back in the day, because you can for sure get the best warranty on the market and in my case I used it on every piece of vortex glass I’ve ever owned, nightforce buy once cry once be done with it they are absolutely incredible for durability. Yes The vortex razor is fairly comparable to the atacr on some things but definitely not durability. Which surprises me considering they are such a heavy chunk of metal you would think the damn things would never break but in my case they did haha, my poor wife bought me a set of vortex Binos for my bday a couple weeks ago I didn’t even open the box I had her send them back, it was funny we walked through the door and the guy at the counter said “great they broke already” I said no I’m not giving them another chance.

It’s one of them things I dont see myself owning a NX8 they should have just offered all the NXS models the option of F1 with mil c and mil XT reticles. I would buy an NX8 if it was offered in a 56mm I was shocked they didn’t do this beings they already have a 50mm F1 in the NXS models that’s why I jumped right to ATACR I personally prefer the 56mm. And the 7x35 mil XT is like the best piece of glass I’ve ever been behind haha absolutely love mine!! Haven’t been behind a ZCO or TT yet that’s the only two I personally believe I would buy other than another 7x35 atacr!! I really enjoy my NXS models as well just wish they made them in F1 for the 5.5x22 models and the 8x32 models with some better reticles.

Reactions: northern50
    I was a big fan of vortex back in the day, because you can for sure get the best warranty on the market and in my case I used it on every piece of vortex glass I’ve ever owned, nightforce buy once cry once be done with it they are absolutely incredible for durability. Yes The vortex razor is fairly comparable to the atacr on some things but definitely not durability. Which surprises me considering they are such a heavy chunk of metal you would think the damn things would never break but in my case they did haha, my poor wife bought me a set of vortex Binos for my bday a couple weeks ago I didn’t even open the box I had her send them back, it was funny we walked through the door and the guy at the counter said “great they broke already” I said no I’m not giving them another chance.

So what broke on your Razor II scope?

Reactions: Alekzandr
    Elevation turret quit tracking all together, my razor spotting scope went completely black, my first and second Gen PST scopes both broke on me one the turret came apart and they other sounded like a bag of bolts when you shook it haha I did not have good luck at all, but that’s why I said they by far have the best warranty, they never asked questions they just warrantied them. Some people have zero issues what so ever, but I will say that vortex is not even close to as durable as nightforce, you can use and abuse nightforce optics and have little to no issues.

Elevation turret quit tracking all together, my razor spotting scope went completely black, my first and second Gen PST scopes both broke on me one the turret came apart and they other sounded like a bag of bolts when you shook it haha I did not have good luck at all, but that’s why I said they by far have the best warranty, they never asked questions they just warrantied them. Some people have zero issues what so ever, but I will say that vortex is not even close to as durable as nightforce, you can use and abuse nightforce optics and have little to no issues.

Quit tracking how? Did you run a tracking test on it? How did Vortex fix it?

Sticking to the Razor II scope as that is what the discussion is about. Seeing as it's the most widely used scope in PRS matches and tracking is very good across the board I don't see your issue as being wide spread.

No no I don’t think that it is a wide spread issue at all, I’m just that guy that had really bad luck with them, and let’s call a spade a spade the only reason it’s used as much as it is is because of the price, if price were no object everyone would run TT or hensoldt. I have watched these threads enough to know that a lot of people have had very good luck with vortex.

Reactions: Can't group Jim
    B9A42378-6F46-4915-BCB6-6B2AAE3F9CE4.png

2020 was a fucked up year so I’m sure there wasn’t as many matches as 2019 but 2019 the 7x35 led the pack and rightfully so it’s an incredible scope.

Price always factors into everything as this is the real world and they also give a good level of performance and reliability which are required for competitions. Competitors would not use something that doesn't work. I know I wouldn't.

Present PRS numbers for all it's members. Not just ones that were part of survey.

IMG_1096.jpg

Reactions: McCrazy and Tunnuh
    2020 was a fucked up year so I’m sure there wasn’t as many matches as 2019 but 2019 the 7x35 led the pack and rightfully so it’s an incredible scope.

Look at the numbers. More shooters in the top 25 of the PRS used a Razor II.

Valdata Recon, I bet that guy hates having that shit on a graph out in public.

My vote is also for Gen2 razer, I run 3 of them pretty hard and have had no issues. Then again, I must not be as operator as the guy smashing his shit to pieces. He should really give Leupold a shot.

I honestly cannot believe the PM2 us dead last on that list lol

There are better options out there especially in the reticle department and people use them.

I would agree on the reticle for sure but man the PM2 has been such a trooper for years that is one scope I’ve never owned but want one

I would agree on the reticle for sure but man the PM2 has been such a trooper for years that is one scope I’ve never owned but want one

I have owned and competed with 3 of the 5-25 S&B for years and would take a Razor II over them.

Have a NX8 4-32 Mil-C and Razor gen II 4.5-27 EBR-2C. The Razor is easier to get behind. DoF and Parallax is more forgiving. Prefer the locking turrets on the Razor. Image between the two is different but both keep me happy. Only thing stopping me from running a Razor on everything is the weight. For my uses, the NX8 nicely fills role of being a 'jack of all trades' optic. I run it on my 223 coyote/trainer and plan on getting a 2.5-20 for my hunting rig. The Razor sits on my dedicated target rifle.

Sorry to hijack this guys post haha I would personally stay with the NX8 or go to an atacr I really don’t think there are enough pros to consider going to a razor other than 34mm tube and 56mm objective, if it were me wanting those things I would jump straight to a 7x35 ATACR, that is just my personal opinion.

Sorry to hijack this guys post haha I would personally stay with the NX8 or go to an atacr I really don’t think there are enough pros to consider going to a razor other than 34mm tube and 56mm objective, if it were me wanting those things I would jump straight to a 7x35 ATACR, that is just my personal opinion.

It's a pretty decent price jump, least in my neck of the woods, to jump up to an ATACR. At that point, might as well just go ZCO imho. The gen II and NX8 come in around the same price point so it's a bit of a more realistic comparison despite the two optics being pretty different from one another.

Reactions: Stoweit
    If you can put up with the weight the Razor is hard to beat for the price. I have shot both scopes mentioned by the OP side by side and to me it comes down reticle. Both have good glass and mechanics. The eye box and parallax advantage goes to the Razor for sure, but I also didn’t have any issues using the NX8. Me personally, I just can’t mount a 48 ounce scope on top of my rifles. I work and play in more of a dynamic environment so weight is always a priority for me. I wouldn’t say switch just to switch. If you like the reticle of the Razor better then give it a shot.

It's a pretty decent price jump, least in my neck of the woods, to jump up to an ATACR. At that point, might as well just go ZCO imho. The gen II and NX8 come in around the same price point so it's a bit of a more realistic comparison despite the two optics being pretty different from one another.
    Absolutely that’s why i said stick with what you got, no sense in going to the vortex, I just don’t see a huge advantage there’s advantages and disadvantages imho weight on anything but a bench rifle sucks

Reactions: Northernjets
    Will have to see the OP's end use as people add weight to match rifles by literally bolting metal plates to them so having a little more weight on a match rifle is not an issue at all.

Will have to see the OP's end use as people add weight to match rifles by literally bolting metal plates to them so having a little more weight on a match rifle is not an issue at all.

Thats really the caveat right there. I think the Razor is the nicer scope in a lot of aspects. But I wouldn't put it on a hunting rifle.

And interestingly enough, the drawbacks of the NX8 are less pronounced in a hunting scenario. Most the people I see post about how they like their NX8 aren't using them in competitions. They're on hunting rifles with one target, one distance. Set the scope for one shot.

I've never had any issue with the Razor line up. I wont buy anything from Vortex that isn't from the Razor line. I broke the Viper twice at the worst possible times, I wont go tumbling down that rabbit hole again.. All 3 of my Razors have treated me great.

It doesn't take an NDA to get a Vortex fixed.

That soured a lot of people and I know I certainly wouldn’t buy a NF for the way that situation was handled but with me being a MOA guy I don’t even look at NF because their MOA reticles suck. When you drop a lot of coin on scope and if it goes tits up you want the company to make it right . I’ve owned a lot of Vortex scopes and I had a tracking problem with 6-24 PST I but never with any of the Razors I and 2s. LL tracking tests of student scopes confirms the razor line is very accurate in tracking.

Reactions: Stoweit
    How’s a Mark 5 5-25 or 7-35 compare to the Razor 4-27?
    To my eyes they are extremely similar and one is barely easier to get behind than the others. Go to a match and compare them all to see for yourself, splitting hairs.

Reactions: M4guru
    That soured a lot of people and I know I certainly wouldn’t buy a NF for the way that situation was handled but with me being a MOA guy I don’t even look at NF because their MOA reticles suck. When you drop a lot of coin on scope and if it goes tits up you want the company to make it right . I’ve owned a lot of Vortex scopes and I had a tracking problem with 6-24 PST I but never with any of the Razors I and 2s. LL tracking tests of student scopes confirms the razor line is very accurate in tracking.
    In all fairness, not just their MOA reticles suck, All their reticles are garbage.

its like the people building the scopes are from 2020 but all the people in charge of reticles at NF and Leupold are still in 1995.

I just purchased a new Razor 4.5-27x56 to put on a Christensen MPR and had tracking issues. I know that vortex would have stood behind the product but I was just aggravated after spending 2k on a product for it to be defective out of the box with a QC tag..
    I bit the bullet and went with a NF Atacr. I’m happy. Although I need to upgrade my PST on a 308 and am also once again considering the Razor, and too the Nx8.

I just purchased a new Razor 4.5-27x56 to put on a Christensen MPR and had tracking issues. I know that vortex would have stood behind the product but I was just aggravated after spending 2k on a product for it to be defective out of the box with a QC tag..
    I bit the bullet and went with a NF Atacr. I’m happy. Although I need to upgrade my PST on a 308 and am also once again considering the Razor, and too the Nx8.
    Atleast when Vortex sends out a Dud they own it stand behind it no questions asked.

NightForce will just blame everyone else, deny it, force you to make a youtube video and sue them in small claims court before they make it right.

Anyone who wants to keep recommending NF anything should read that thread in its entirety. As well as anyone considering purchasing a NF. Sold my last two NF scopes for a loss and moved on.

• Wow
    Reactions: russkim04
    I can get over a dud easier than I can a company not honoring warranty. I will NEVER own a product if there's the slightest murmurings of them trying to skate on warranty.

In all fairness, not just their MOA reticles suck, All their reticles are garbage.

its like the people building the scopes are from 2020 but all the people in charge of reticles at NF and Leupold are still in 1995.

I don't get it either, didn't they buy out Horus Vision af ew years back? If so it's really mind boggling why their reticle design is what it is....

Atleast when Vortex sends out a Dud they own it stand behind it no questions asked.

NightForce will just blame everyone else, deny it, force you to make a youtube video and sue them in small claims court before they make it right.
    Man, I hope not. Not cool if that is going down.. I just thought I could stick with the same reticle ( mil-XT). The Razor was bit more forgiving in the eye box and 1k cheaper.

Reactions: Slick66
    Man, I hope not. Not cool if that is going down.. I just thought I could stick with the same reticle ( mil-XT). The Razor was bit more forgiving in the eye box and 1k cheaper.
    I just sold a gen 1 PST6-24x50 illuminated. Not sure what I’ll replace it with. It just couldn’t get it done in low light or late overcast days while hunting.

I have both a 7-35 F1 atacr and a gen 2 razor 4.5-27 and I can say side by side they both have pros and cons but neither one in leaps and bounds better than the other as a whole. I’ve got a few products from both brands and have never needed to use either warranty so maybe I’m lucky and I would still recommend both. They do fit different roles in my opinion though.

Reactions: JWJW
    I have both a 7-35 F1 atacr and a gen 2 razor 4.5-27 and I can say side by side they both have pros and cons but neither one in leaps and bounds better than the other as a whole. I’ve got a few products from both brands and have never needed to use either warranty so maybe I’m lucky and I would still recommend both. They do fit different roles in my opinion though.
    The rifle is a compact Rem 308 16.5 “ barrel, triggertech special,KRG bravo, and typically wears a suppressor. It’s for steel and hunting. Nothing to fancy but it shoots great and handles well.
    I can get a new razor 4.5-27x56 for around $1500. Seems like to good of a deal to pass up, but the damb thing is heavy. The NX8 ticks the boxes on weight..

Attachments

• 561B2DC7-B72D-442C-ACFE-23C211ED9C34.jpeg
      561B2DC7-B72D-442C-ACFE-23C211ED9C34.jpeg
      270 KB · Views: 36
    The rifle is a compact Rem 308 16.5 “ barrel, triggertech special,KRG bravo, and typically wears a suppressor. It’s for steel and hunting. Nothing to fancy but it shoots great and handles well.
    I can get a new razor 4.5-27x56 for around $1500. Seems like to good of a deal to pass up, but the damb thing is heavy. The NX8 ticks the boxes on weight..
    I’ve looked through the nx8’s and glass is better on the ATACRS and razors and the nx8 is far lighter. You’re not giving up a ton in voe through an nx8 over the razor. The shortcomings of the nx8 are well noted. If weight was on my mind I’d probably get an nx8

Reactions: JWJW