• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes NXS vs HMDR

bradthemarine

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2012
Greetings to Sniper's Hide! I've been lurking on and off now for a few years and I finally built up the courage to jump in and participate.

I currently run a NF NXS 3.5x15 50mm with a MLR reticle on my .308 and I'll be shooting it out to 1000 yards. Lately I've been very intrigued by the Horus Reticles but I haven't been ready to drop another 2700-3700 on another scope.

Recently I started hearing about the Bushnell HMDR and I wanted to check and see what people here think about it and how it compares to the NXS line. Keeping in mind the HMDR runs about 1400 and F1s/Mk4s run about 2700, is the HMDR worth the bang for the buck? If I trade in my NXS I might break even on the trade.

Thanks for your help and Semper Fi,
Brad

Re: NXS vs HMDR

Welcome aboard.

I find the Horus reticles too busy, but to each his own, but the one feature in a scope I truely can't live without now is a Zero Stop, which the Bushnell does not have, other than that the glass is every bit as good as NF, I hear it comes from the same building in Japan.

Welcome!

i use my HDMR for hunting and steel shooting,for the price it's a great scope,just wish it has a zero stop;
but as i have the gen 2 ret i don't use the turrets a lot and prefer use this great reticle for hold over.
it tracks well and glass is good enough for my purpose.

HDMR is a great scope especially for the money. I use 3 of them. It's not quite up to NF quality but close.

Sometimes we have night matches so I use the NF for them because it has illume. I also appreciate the ZS and the 10 mil knobs both of which the HDMR is missing.

I have a F1 with H-58 I'm selling if interested.

The new GEN2 HDMR Scopes possibly coming out at shot 2013 apparently will have ten mil turrets, locking turret caps and a zero stop. 3.5-21x zoom and some other goodies.

I'm hanging out for one of those with the G2DMR reticle that was created with GAP.

Love my HDMR with the G2 reticle. Sold my NF 5-22 after acquiring the Bushnell if that's any indication of how I think it compares
wink.gif
. Hasn't made me sell my S&B's though.

Bushnell Customer Service guy told me an illuminated HDMR is coming out in March 2013 with the new Gen 2 zero stop and greater elevation range.

I'll wait 'til then to get one for my HS Precision .300 Win mag.

Nightforce are very solid scopes to me they have been proven to be more reliable than most scope on the market. I prefer the Nightforce glass and the fell of the turrets over the Bushnell HDMR.

I really like the Bushnell HDMR especially with the G2 RET and for the price it makes it even more intriguing. The 3.5-21x power range and the size rock also. I have been running one for a few month and really like it.

Mike @ CST
www.cstactical.com

I have both and recently used the Bushnell in a long range match, mounted on top of a GAP10 in 6mm Creedmoor.

The scope worked great and I really like the G2 reticle. That reticle came in handy when shooting the 900 and 1000 yard targets, as I missed the first shot, but was able to use the reticle to hold over for the rest of the shots on target and hit them every time.

What I did notice was 700 yards and below, I couldn't tell any difference between the Bushnell and the Nightforce. Once I got past that range, the Nightforce seems to me, to be much clearer.

The Bushnell is a great scope for the money and I will probably buy the Gen 2 model when it comes out, as I would like a lit reticle and zero stop would be nice, but if the turrets have 10 mils per revolution, then it may not be necessary for the rifle I'm using it on. (I can get to 1000 yards with only 7 mils on the 6 Creedmoor.)

Great info.

I'm in the same boat and was thinking about selling my NF but looks like I'm keeping it...... for now!

Thanks for all the good information. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a HDMR with a Horus reticle but I'll probably wait and see what features the 'new' version/generation has this Spring. In between now and then, if I find a deal for a F1 I may go ahead and snag one of those instead.

If you already know how to use your MLR reticle there's no advantage to a Horus. Your NF is a fine scope; there's no reason to change equipment just for the sake of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you already know how to use your MLR reticle there's no advantage to a Horus. Your NF is a fine scope; there's no reason to change equipment just for the sake of it. </div></div>
I agree with the above. IMO the NF glass a reliability makes it a clear choice over spending more coin on a HMDR.

I'm a big fan of not fixing something if it ain't broke, but I do like the Horus reticle and I want to give it a shot. Right now I'm just debating which platform/brand to try out and how much it will cost.

I bought the horus HDMR to replace a Sightron SII big sky and could not be any happier. I don't know how it compares to the Nightforce but at half the cost I could not pass it up.