• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

O ring Lube

toolman60

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2020
Hello All,

I just got me a new 85mm Razor spotting scope and a MOA eye piece. What type lube will be good for the O ring on the MOA Eye Piece.

Would the Super Lube Food Grade grease be ok or should I use something different?
Or would Super Lube 21030 Multi Purpose Grease
Need something for that O ring as it is very hard to twist and lock the eye piece in scope.

Thanks
Tim

Hello All,

I just got me a new 85mm Razor spotting scope and a MOA eye piece. What type lube will be good for the O ring on the MOA Eye Piece.

Would the Super Lube Food Grade grease be ok or should I use something different?
Or would Super Lube 21030 Multi Purpose Grease
Need something for that O ring as it is very hard to twist and lock the eye piece in scope.

Thanks
Tim
Dow Corning High Vaccum Grease is what I would use.

also when you grease O-rings......take a dab of grease about the size of 1/2 a pea....rub it between your thumb and finger until its "rubbed in"......then rub the oring between your fingers until its glossy.

you shouldnt see any grease globbed up on the surface of the oring.....most people who lube orings use WAY too much grease

Reactions: clcustom1911
Come to think of it, I've had a Kowa spotting scope for 20 years and not once have I lubricated the occular's oring. It's been rained on more than enough times at Camp Perry and has never leaked.

I supposed that greasing the o-ring might be useful if you're constantly swapping occulars, but if you just have one there's no need

People overthink the fuck out of everything these days.

Come to think of it, I've had a Kowa spotting scope for 20 years and not once have I lubricated the occular's oring. It's been rained on more than enough times at Camp Perry and has never leaked.

I supposed that greasing the o-ring might be useful if you're constantly swapping occulars, but if you just have one there's no need

People overthink the fuck out of everything these days.
What do you torque your ocular to?

Dow Corning High Vaccum Grease is what I would use.
I'd use PTFE based rather than silicone for that. Vacuum grease has a lot of stiction.

I’d have to agree, this stuff is very very viscous and sticky, I use it for various applications.

828EDF86-29C7-45DF-9716-623AB26B3BBB.jpeg

I use magnalube g for most of my grease needs, including elastomers.
Silicon, grease or lube spray works very well.
Petroleum jelly works, but will eventually dry.

I use magnalube g for most of my grease needs, including elastomers.
Silicon, grease or lube spray works very well.
Petroleum jelly works, but will eventually dry.
do not use petroleum jelly on O-rings.

do not use petroleum jelly on O-rings.
Petroleum jelly is pretty benign. We used it on one particular weapon systems orings. They got changed out every 4 years.
It depends on what the o ring is made of. If it is nitrile, no worries. If it is natural rubber, use silicone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
Obviously lots of options, but this is what I bought several years ago... 2oz for $10. I like the small plastic tub better than a tube, less mess.

Trident.png

Reactions: 308pirate
Wow.
I had a very different answer between thread title and what was posted inside.

For the other, H20 brand lube is a pretty good choice....🤣

also when you grease O-rings......take a dab of grease about the size of 1/2 a pea....rub it between your thumb and finger until its "rubbed in"......then rub the oring between your fingers until its glossy.

you shouldnt see any grease globbed up on the surface of the oring.....most people who lube orings use WAY too much grease
Instead of greasing your fingers squeeze the grease into a small zip lock bag. This allows you to get a good coating on the boring and it’s easier to keep the grease off other things.