• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OAL or Charge????

dolecs

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2013
Western NY
So im starting from scratch and forgetting a lot of bad reloading habits i was taught before. My question now is, do i figure out what charge weight my gun likes first then decide my OAL or is this something you have to figure out togethor? Just seems like a lot of wasted ammo will be used between doing my load ladder and figuring out where i want my bullet seated. Looking for some advice to get me going in the right direction.

Thanks

First, load some dummy rounds to determine the COL range that feeds and chambers.
For rifles, I start with the longest COL that fits the magazine, feeds, and chambers (in fact, I do the same for handguns) and that is where I start load development as that is almost always where I get the best accuracy.
After load development, I might try shorter COL just to check. If I load for a singles-shot rifle or handgun, I will load so the bullet is just off the lede, so normal COL variation doesn't jam a bullet in the lede/rifling and work up a load from there.
So, the FIRST thing is to verify that the rounds will fit the magazine and start there.

When I do my load development, Iadder test with different powders and weights. Then I take the best result and ladder test the one charge with different seating depths

I start with a middle of the road charge and load the following:

- At the lands
- .030 off
- .060 off
- .090 off
- .120 off

I shoot groups of each and whatever seating depth shoots best, I load for the ladder test. This method has worked extremely well for me in multiple calibers.

Thanks a lot guys for all the advice.....another question...i purchased myself the Hornady OAL gauge and just took some measurements.....note this is a .264 win mag if it matters....i took 3 readings just touching the lands...i got 3.810, 3.807, 3.810 so i averaged to 3.809........i messed around doing a few things then went back and measured again and got 3.800, 3.800....is the variance from the first group to the second something to be concerned about in terms of did I do something wrong or make some bad measurements or is that still in the range of a good reading as the first group???

The Hornady (Stoney Point) OAL gauge can take a bit of practice to get consistent measurements. The barrel needs to be clean and you really need to make sure the bullet is touching the lands. Sometimes they can hang up a bit when you're trying to push them in, particularly if you have a long/tight freebore. I typically take 10 bullets and repeat the measurement for each, then take the average. I also number the base of each bullet with a Sharpie and set them aside so I can measure the distance to the lands at regular intervals with the same set of bullets. The average of 10 measurements (each with a different bullet) is typically +/- one to two thousandths. Depending on which bullet you're using, variance of .009" in seating depth might make a difference. If you haven't yet optimized seating depth, I wouldn't worry too much, you'll determine the correct base-to-ogive measurement for the seating depth that shoots the best when you do test it.

Wait till what you see happens on paper before getting concerned about varying seating depths.

I start with .015 off the land on all my precision rifles and have never seen a compelling reason to change. I usually find the right load and that's good enough.

I use the Hornady modified cases as well and I too average 3 measurements. If I get two sets of measurements on 2 occasions, I'll go with the longest one - I figure on the shorter one, I was probably pushing the stick a little to hard and seating the bullet in the lands.

im confused....i just read the "handloading for long range 3, finding start OAL" and it says to ALWAYS start jammed into the rifling and work out...but many say start with a jump...can someone explain which is better and why??

im confused....i just read the "handloading for long range 3, finding start OAL" and it says to ALWAYS start jammed into the rifling and work out...but many say start with a jump...can someone explain which is better and why??

Jamming the lands first, can sometimes increase pressure, without telling you much beyond that. Finding your high and low nodes, with charge weights, can yield tangible benefits first and then those benefits can allow you to fine tune things down the road, with seating depths.

I'll pick a few spreads of moderate charge weights, splitting a box up like 15, 15, 10 and 10 and then see what I see. When I find a weight that I like, I'll move the bullet closer to the lands from a reasonable starting distance (.015"-.030") off the lands.

I was allowed to be a part of the Berger .338" 250gr. OTM/Hybrid pre-production bullet testing a couple of years back. I shoot a Sako TRG-42 1:12" rifle and I've had my pet load down for years, but I fiddled with only seating depth for my testing and things were interesting.

I did this because I knew my 'sweet spot,' so to speak.

Chris