• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Obermyer 6.5 question?

D Miller

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Vegas, NV
Last night JFC and i started to work on an Obermyer 6.5mm barrel for a friend of ours. We started the initial setup but when it came time to fine tune everything our normal PTG 6.5 range rod would not fit regardless of what size bushing was on it. This rod has worked for 5x Rock barrels and a Benchmark with the measurements of .256/.264 but the Oby tube of .254/.264 was a no go.

What do the pros on here use when working with a Oby barrel?

Thanks
Dane

*edit* our method and setup are as close to STRs videos as we can get, if that answers any other question about how were doing things.

Re: Obermyer 6.5 question?

D. Miller,

I remember something different when they did my 6.5mm Oby barrel. Hsss, on here, was the gunsmith who did mine. Get ahold of him, I think his cell # is in his signature here.

That would be great, we've been getting different things from different people. One person suggested using "pin dials" or "pin gauges" but that didn't seem like it was going to work well.

Boots uses the .254 diameter. Three and 1/2 yrs before I got my blank that I ordered(lol) I took his advice and ordered IIRC a .2535 and .2538 bushings for my reamer. As he is the only maker using the .254 diameter I am guessing you will need to order specifically for his tube????