• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You must have missed the other thread on this, with the behind the scenes clips?

Wow, that was a cool film - go see it! The design is really slick and the story has some nice twists and turns. I could have sworn I saw a modified DSR-1 at one point ;)

I went and saw this today. I really liked it. A few plot twists I didn't expect.

Tom Cruise is crazy but this movie looks good[/QUOTE]

Haha that is exactly what I was saying last night at dinner. I dont watch many of his movies, but this one looks pretty sweet!

Saw it tonight with the wife. She fell asleep during the movie, that hasn't happened before. Oblivious= that was me understanding what the plot was supposed to be. I highly recommend this movie as a rental. It has decent acting, good action, plot twists, and great scenery. Everything that makes a good movie. I found the movie to really lack a plot with character developement.

At today's ticket price, I'd pass. BTW, Tom Cruise (like him or not) generally makes good movies. This met his "average" movie, not great (A Few Good Men), not terrible (Eyes Wide Shut).

However, I watch Django Unchained last night on Blu-Ray, Outstanding movie. Perhaps any movie the day after that may pale. Others may find Oblivion much better.

I definitely relished the ride. Story was obviously predictable, but the gorgeous effects and eye candy (Olga Kurylenko...yowza!) made this an enjoyable escape.

Magnificent, enjoyed every aspect of the film. See this on the big screen.
Whatever the flaws of this film were are insignificant compared to the visuals.
A couple of films like this a year and I would feel much better about this industry.

It appears that some how, much to my amazement, adults were involved with this one.
If J.J. Abrams was to be at this trade for the next 30 years, and unfortunately it looks like he will be, he would never be able to understand the subtle, thoughtful, concrete nature of this film.

Last edited:
Obviously a big aspect of that is the director, Joe Kosinski, who didn't come up the normal Hollywood director pipeline. He was a 3D artist and designer, trained in architecture, which is one of the reason for his smooth design style seen in his movies. He's also teamed with Eric Barba from Digital Domain, as visual effects supervisor, since 2005ish. Eric was a key supervisor in what was then the commercial division of the company, and had an unconventional approach to making effects. David Fincher got him involved with Kosinski after the making of the NIN video "Only" back in 2005. Since then they did a couple Gears of War commercial spots together before "Tron: Legacy" started to come together. In between that time Barba was supervising some ground-breaking work on "Benjamin Button", so in many ways it's been a very synergistic relationship and it shows on the big screen. Both are unconventional artists and naturally have a detailed understanding of how to employ visual effects in storytelling.

Glad I went and saw it. I *MAY* have replaced Lindsay Lohan with my new favorite redhead. (I don't think Andrea Riseborough is a real redhead, more research photos are needed)

I saw it today as well. I was thoroughly impressed. This is easily my favorite movie I've seen so far in 2013, and is in my top five for the last year. The movie was absolutely gorgeous. Everything just weaved together for a very enjoyable watch.

I personally enjoyed Andrea Riseborough more than Olga Kurylenko... and I never thought I'd see a movie where I liked a female in it more than Olga.

Go see it on the big screen. It's worth the money.

Good movie. kind of reminded me of a mash up of the Matrix, Terminator, 2001 a Space odyssey with a dash of road warrior thrown in. I found it interesting that Cruise shoots pistol right hand and long gun left hand, never noticed that before. Caught the new Magpul sling too. Incredible visuals and graphics really make this movie.

Derivative. Highly so, but visually pretty good.
Let's see: Matrix, Star Wars, Aliens homage, ID4, Road Warrior, the entire Terminator series, Total Recall, 2001, Even the Jestons. The list goes on...
Still, If I was going to weave a story for my kids, and use other stories I had heard to tell it, this would be a nice visual way to do so.
I want that bubble chopper.

Saw it today...as others have said, this movie was shot beautifully. I also liked the story progression, really not giving you the backstory until the very end of the movie.

I don't see many movies in the theater, but this one was worth $7.25.

saw it yesterday morning, only 2 other patron in the whole theater so no distractions at all. the movie set was stunning, the whole living quarters in the sky is beautifull and the flying machine... well i want one of those.
defenitely worth owning on DVD later.

Visually stunning for me, good storyline with some interesting plot twists. I will have to see it again for what twists I missed. Olga is of course great eye candy but still needs a little work on acting.

See it now-do not wait for DVD.

I saw it in an XD setup (7.1 surround + HD) and was really impressed. The story, as mentioned, pulls from common sci-fi elements but that wasn't really a bad thing in this case. The sound and visuals were top notch. One of the few movies where the soundtrack actually contributed something.

I thought it was ok..perks were the CGI and cinematography. The director did Tron: Legacy so that makes sense. It's one of the best looking HD films and blue ray transfers i've seen. As i said it was okay by the middle of it i felt like they made Moon into an action movie..

Saw this on opening day and enjoyed it very much. Great visuals and solid story. Well worth $10 and 2 hours of my life.

Blu-Ray came out today, bought it and watched the movie for the first time.

Outstanding Flick. Moving, motivating, inspiring.

Like Cruise, hate Cruise, doesn't matter. He makes good movies, his characters are appealing and convincing. When I buy a movie, that's what I want, and what I got with Oblivion.

Greg

Derivative. Highly so, but visually pretty good.
Let's see: Matrix, Star Wars, Aliens homage, ID4, Road Warrior, the entire Terminator series, Total Recall, 2001, Even the Jestons. The list goes on...
Still, If I was going to weave a story for my kids, and use other stories I had heard to tell it, this would be a nice visual way to do so.
I want that bubble chopper.

The one film that it was most like is one you left out of your list (Moon) Moon (2009) - IMDb

I thought Oblivion was very original.