• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OCW results WTF?

travbob

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2013
Hondo, TX
Anybody want to chime in on this? Where is my scatter node and accuracy node? I am not to sure what to think. Here are the specs:

185 berger juggernaut,varget, 308, 24" barrel, lapua brass, cci 200 primers

Last edited:
I agree with darkside-6 looks like 43.3 is your scatter so i would go with 44.5 to 44.6 call it good.

Anybody want to chime in on this? Where is my scatter node and accuracy node? I am not to sure what to think. Here are the specs:

185 berger juggernaut,varget, 308, 24" barrel, lapua brass, cci 200 primers

First, generally speaking, your groups are much better than norm which is making it harder.

Do you find any pressure signs at 45.1? If not, I am curious to see what next few .3 grains loads show.

Personally, I find it much easier to read when ALL shots are on same line. Moving around adds a variable making it harder to track each group's CENTER and direction. As tight as you are shooting you can easily place five to six groups per line. First thought I had was make 4 to 5 shot groups. But taking Load Development out to 200 or 300 yards should answer your questions.

Lastly, I number each shot (1, 2, & 3) to help me read results when I begin analyzing groups.

Just my two cents...

Extra one cent:
Thinking back my .308 4064 displayed similar results though your groups are tighter for sure. It has been about three years since but off top of my head I found two nodes between ~39.0 to ~43.5. You just may have two nodes in there as well. I still think longer distance will answer your question.

Good shooting

Last edited:
You see scatter at 43.9, add 1.5% (as Newberry suggests) and you get 44.5, which has good grouping and closest to same POI with the groups on either side of it and voila! I would use 44.5 and just shoot it.

What powder?

I would work 44-45g in .1 increments and see if you can see where things open up form there. Generally what I do after finding a decent node. Go a little below then through the center and a little above. Generally for me that has just confirmed what I already knew.

Maybe try increasing range and running the test again?

If you put all 9 shots from 44.5, 44.8, 45.1 on the same target, they'd still make a nice group. I'd call 44.8 for sure.That would predict another node at ~43.5. Since 43.6 looks fine and the 3 shots at 43.3 and 43.9 share nearly the same POI I'd feel pretty good about that prediction. So . . . 44.8gr is my call.

I would shoot the test again. You may have had a few lucky fliers in there, if you know what I mean. A second run-through may tell you a lot more.

But 43.6 and somewhere in the mid-44 grain range look the best to me.

Your hotter mid-44 range loads may be beating up your brass. Might not be worth it. JMO.

Went out to 230 yds. 5 shot groups from 44.5 to 44.8. 44.6 and 44.7 look the best.

If that shot farthest right on 44.6 is thrown then I would say run with that.

* What barrel and chamber, also what are they seated to and how far off lands?

I would lean towards 44.6, because unless you are using an ultra precise scale you will most likely be throwing +-.1g anyway so I would roll with 44.6 since at -.1g 44.5g group is a little better looking than the 44.8g group.

Pusher591
schneider barrel chambered with PTG Bisley match reamer. bullet seated 3.250 to ogive 5 thousandths off the lands

44.4-45.2 Work with .1gr increments from there, then brake it down with different seating depths, is what I would try.
First, generally speaking, your groups are much better than norm which is making it harder.

Do you find any pressure signs at 45.1? If not, I am curious to see what next few .3 grains loads show.

Personally, I find it much easier to read when ALL shots are on same line. Moving around adds a variable making it harder to track each group's CENTER and direction. As tight as you are shooting you can easily place five to six groups per line. First thought I had was make 4 to 5 shot groups. But taking Load Development out to 200 or 300 yards should answer your questions.

Lastly, I number each shot (1, 2, & 3) to help me read results when I begin analyzing groups.

Just my two cents...

Extra one cent:
Thinking back my .308 4064 displayed similar results though your groups are tighter for sure. It has been about three years since but off top of my head I found two nodes between ~39.0 to ~43.5. You just may have two nodes in there as well. I still think longer distance will answer your question.

Good shooting

Play with 44.6-44.7, trying diff. seating depths now.
If that shot farthest right on 44.6 is thrown then I would say run with that.

* What barrel and chamber, also what are they seated to and how far off lands?

44.6, it's right in the middle of the sweet spot, now adjust seating depth in .003 incurments.

44.6 is your upper node. However, you might get equal accuracy, and a hell of allot better brass life at 42.9 which is your lower node.

I would load at 45.5 or 45.6 doesn't really matter. It looks lik you had 2 shots pulled to the right on those. I would focus in on seating depth now at 300+ yards.

These were shot at 200 yds. Numbers given are how far seated from the lands. Obviously 5 thousandths off the lands is the best. Is it worth it to work further out from .045? These groups spread quite a bit the further they get from the lands? Does this seem right that they would spread this much?

I like what you are getting and would load some more for the next range trip. The next range trip I might also try more with your lower node at your best seating depth. That would be affirming your upper load and maybe getting something from the lower node. You might also go back and see where you get pressure signs with your new OAL.

44g varget 168MK at mag length and LC brass got me ejector swipes in my AR 10 with a carrier weight.

I'd stick with .005 off and load some at 42.9 .005 off and see how they do. Not much room for error there though, you are going to have to be spot on with seating depth measurements every time.