• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OCW Test: About to embark on my own 308 adventure

doctordoctor

El Doctor
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2011
Erie,pa
So I have decided to work up some loads for my Rem. 700 XCR long Range Tactical .308, 26” bbl, 1:12”. My OAL for this particular rifle is (using a comparator) 2.360” The previous load I developed and have been using is 175 SMK’s in Winchester or FGMM brass loaded with 44.7 gr. Varget CCI BR2 primers seated at 2.290” (comparator). My loads are long, so are single fed only which I’m not too excited about.
Anyhow, I just got my very first 100 pieces of new Lapua brass. I wanted to work up some loads with different powders because I can’t always find Varget. So I wanted to get my ducks in a row before I do this. Your help is appreciated. I really mean that. It is!!!
Here’s my process I have planned out after some research.
1) Run the new brass through my new Sinclair expander II die.
2) Neck size my brass with my Redding Type S Neck sizing die (I know not a FL die)
3) Prime them with my remaining CCI BR-2’s
4) Fill em up with some powder:
Powder I am testing in .5 grain increments are:
BLC-2: 42 up to 45 gr.
Varget: 42 up to 45 gr.
4064: 42 up to 45 gr.
Reloader 15: 41 up to 44 gr.
And in the near future when I get more Lapua brass I will test XBR 40-42 grains and if I can find it H4589. Or should I try IMR 4589 over the H4589???
5) Seat my 175 SMK’s with my Redding Competition seater die at 2.800” COL
6) Shoot my OCW test at 100 yards VIGENTLY watching for pressure signs as well as recording my Muzzle Velocity with my chrono.
7) Post and and analyze my handiwork looking for my Optimal powder charge or “node”
8) Play with the seating depths by .003” increments until I find my optimal charge and seating depth.
9) Test my magic load out..
10) Live happily ever after.
I am new to Lapua brass so do my min and max powder charges look about right? I looked up min-max on at the least 4 references. My ultimate goal is really to shoot out to a measly 1000k and so forth when the opportunity arises.
THANKS!
Dr. B

Starting out kissing lands or jammed? Jammed- how much? Curious since I am building a few new loads too and have never done any testing outside of book recommended OAL.

Well I will not jam into the lands. 010" only because of pressure concerns. I am hoping to stay as close to COAL as possible so I can magazine feed. Also the gold standard FGMM is loaded to COAL and is.. The gold standard. But every rifle is different.
The way I understood it was to find your max load first then you know you will always be safe by not going over load. To do that you start working loads up jammed 010" into the lands. Then you find max and work backwards from there with seating depths. Anyhow I'm on a cell phone so can't really type it all out. I read religiously the ocw thread here on the forum and tres monceret articles here also. I also read the thread at accurate shooter by Erik cortina.

Ok thanks for answering my questions! I read all those same threads/articles too plus some other online articles and plan to start .010in jammed, which should keep all cartidges at least .005 jammed even given projectile dimensional variance. My concern is what happens when I start going shorter. There will be a point at which some bullets are in the lands and some are not- without measuring every cartidge with a comparator anyway. At least then I know that pressures will be safe but there may be some variances in measurements since my seating dies seat off of meplat. Maybe I am trying to be too precise and I should just figure that out when I get there which might be a while since it is still really cold up in my neck of the woods.

Well, good luck with your OCW testing though. I am curious to see how it turns out for you.

Sorry for threadjacking BTW, but I wasn't getting much of a response on the thread I started...:eek:

I think you are going above and beyond our level of shooting. You could always get a meplat trimmer. I want to shoot far but rarely get an opportunity to do so. But when I do get the chance I will take the time to sort my brass and bullets and really mind my P's and Q's. But for the most part I will do some checking here and there but will not get OCD over it to the point it becomes more of a chore than it is fun. I am snowed in up here in Erie. We are beating Buffalo right now for snow fall so I am looking for something to do. I figured why not try out the OCW method I can always find a day to shoot a hundred yards. Plus I can't find Varget anywhere might as well work up loads for alternative powders.

I used to be a better shooter about 20 years ago when I had better eyes. The range near me goes only to 400 as well. Its just that you and I are in similar situations with the snow and cold, and I get bored easy and then overthink stuff. Plus nothing is ever good enough for me so I HAVE to try and do better than .75in groups at 100, even if it probably won't happen... still gotta try so I know. Happiness is a tight one.

If you are interested: Long-Range Load Development , if its good for 1000 it has to be good for 400 right?

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

I have a great load with varget. I have a 400 yard group measuring 5/8" with a full stock remington. But can't find the stuff and boredom is winning out. my poor wife is rolling her eyes and saying here we go again. I will keep you posted. looks like it will be awhile before I even get to the range as the weather is COLD!

I have the same Rem XCR LRT rifle. I initially shot around 600 rounds of FGMM 168 and 175 and they performed very well producing MOA and sub MOA results.

I started loading my own this summer. After an OCW test I settled on:
FL sized FGMM brass
Win WLR primer (other primers may perform better but it was all I could find this summer)
44.7 gr. Varget
175 SMK
2.80" COAL

I tried seating a little longer and and a little shorter, but did not see much difference on the target. I only have access to a 700 yard range, but I am very happy with this load. If the trigger puller does his job, it will easily produce sub MOA results.

That's pretty neat we have the same luck with the same load. I got a bit worse accuracy with deeper seating. but I have to single shot load which is a bummer also. I've hit steel at 1000K and 1207 yards. It was AWESOME!