• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odd sound from AR 15

arnie19

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Ca.
I load 55 grain fb hp bullets in my ar15 with W748 and have been for a long time with no problems . Some one gave me some AA 2230 powder and I loaded the same load using the AA2230 powder . It seems to shoot just fine but every ten shot mag has one or two rounds that has a duller sound .I though I was blowing primers but not so and no pressure signs .It actually shoots just fine but I keep hearing a couple rounds every so often that don't sound right .Any one else have something like this happen ?

Are you weighing every charge? Maybe it's a low charge? I would start there

I wonder how the powder was stored and how old it is. I would also check my charge weights before shooting again.

OP,

What you describe is called a squib load. You must inspect the firearm after shooting a squib load since, when the condition is severe, the bullet from the load may not have cleared the bore. This can be catastrophic upon firing the gun again. I'd suspect contaminated powder, defective primers, inconsistent powder charging, and/or inconsistent primer seating.

I am weighing every charge with a Lyman auto charger .The bullets are coming out and impacting the same at 200 meters and the action cycles so I doubt its a squib load .Since the load was 23.6 gr. in Winchester cases ,primers are les than a year old CCI 41 ,im guessing maybe the load was just boarder line too light .The primers didn't show any signs of pressure at all . I shoot a lot of different rifles every week and never have had this sound change happen before .

No ,just a lower tone and not the sharp crack im used to hearing .Hell maybe its my earplugs moving .

OP,

What you describe is called a squib load. You must inspect the firearm after shooting a squib load since, when the condition is severe, the bullet from the load may not have cleared the bore. This can be catastrophic upon firing the gun again. I'd suspect contaminated powder, defective primers, inconsistent powder charging, and/or inconsistent primer seating.
<---yes next headspacing maybe off too ! get a gauge set is next !!