• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Odin Works vs Proof Stainless 6mm Arc AR build?

Get yourself a Wyndam Weaponry CHF barrel for under $150. It’s just as good, if not better than any Proof, Criterion, Kreiger, etc for a fraction of the price. Then put the savings into ammo and training because you’re going to blame your tools when you’re shooting 5 MOA groups when it’s all the shooter’s fault.

• Haha
Reactions: JS8588
Get yourself a Wyndam Weaponry CHF barrel for under $150. It’s just as good, if not better than any Proof, Criterion, Kreiger, etc for a fraction of the price. Then put the savings into ammo and training because you’re going to blame your tools when you’re shooting 5 MOA groups when it’s all the shooter’s fault.
Troll level: 0.18/10

Glad yours is shooting well. My Proof puts the 108’s 3 touching and slings the other 2 shots 1 1/2-2” away. I haven’t been able to try the 105’s or 103’s yet. I’m hoping it shoots one of the factory loadings under 1 moa.
Yeah. I’d test the other bullets and see what kind of groups you get. That barrel with the hornady should work.

Reactions: Rcman187
Glad yours is shooting well. My Proof puts the 108’s 3 touching and slings the other 2 shots 1 1/2-2” away. I haven’t been able to try the 105’s or 103’s yet. I’m hoping it shoots one of the factory loadings under 1 moa.
That sounds like a feed ramp or other feeding issue...

Reactions: Jsp556
In my experience with bolt action barrels-- at least 4 or 5 of each, personally owned-- it's a toss up on accuracy between Proof and Bartlein. I don't really have a strong preference either way. As far as that goes, between Krieger, Bartlein, Proof, Brux, and Rock Creek (cut rifled) goes, I'd not turn my nose to any of them. There are others out there that are probably just as good, I just haven't used them yet.
Aren't all of those buttoned?

Here's one more data point on the proof. I did have a weird poi shift during break in as the barrel heated up the first time but haven't duplicated it since. I honestly need to shoot it more. I really like the rifle - radian kits are a bit heavy but the rifle only weighs 6.4 lbs with all the Ti and carbon stuff.

I really dislike temp instability in rifle rounds (I live and shoot in Utah from the teens to the hundreds) and this group came while testing Varget and xbr8208. Need to get back out to confirm.

20220101_203348.jpg
Resized_20210121_174330.jpeg

Here's one more data point on the proof. I did have a weird poi shift during break in as the barrel heated up the first time but haven't duplicated it since. I honestly need to shoot it more. I really like the rifle - radian kits are a bit heavy but the rifle only weighs 6.4 lbs with all the Ti and carbon stuff.

I really dislike temp instability in rifle rounds (I live and shoot in Utah from the teens to the hundreds) and this group came while testing Varget and xbr8208. Need to get back out to confirm.

View attachment 7774457View attachment 7774458

18" barrel?

I have a 21" odin and feel lucky when I get 1 MOA. I only have 100rds down the barrel so far so hoping it tightens up after it's "broken in."

I have a 21" odin and feel lucky when I get 1 MOA. I only have 100rds down the barrel so far so hoping it tightens up after it's "broken in."
My barrel sped up quite a bit at about 100 rounds (like 60-70 fps). It is solidly sub moa but not what I would consider a consistent tack-driver like my 6.5 Creed Proof.

View attachment 7774457View attachment 7774458
Quick update - as the barrel has sped up, this load now shoots 2513 fps at 29 degrees Fahrenheit with an SD of 10.8. if that means 2530 or so in summer months I'm stoked.

Quick update - as the barrel has sped up, this load now shoots 2513 fps at 29 degrees Fahrenheit with an SD of 10.8. if that means 2530 or so in summer months I'm stoked.
Still grouping ok? I'm torn between a Proof and Odin barrel if Criterion doesn't sell 6 ARC in-house.

Comfortably sub MOA with both 108 ELDs and 105 BTHPs. Seems to prefer the 108s. 10-shot groups at .75-.87" - many 3-shots under .5".

Crazy as it sounds, I really think the amount of pressure on my bipod had as much or more variance as the setup.

Out of the country now, but will be stretching it out to 1200 yards or so when I return for final thoughts.

Still grouping ok? I'm torn between a Proof and Odin barrel if Criterion doesn't sell 6 ARC in-house.
Honestly - I'd get the Proof barrel (either steel or Carbon). Price difference for steel isn't significant, and Proof was involved in the original recipe for the DOD. Odin makes great stuff (I have bolts, barrels and handguards from them) but in this case I would but Proof again every time.

I'm going to say pass on the Odin. Pulling mine after just 50rd tomorrow. Odin's CS is loosing a star every day. Currently at 1. Called and someone picked up (great), but he had no knowledge. Said fill out the form on our sight and the head tech will get right back to you. That was Monday, crickets since.

First range trip with the 21" Odin wasn't exactly confidence building.

Function was perfect out of the gate. Brenton 15 round mags were flawless. GB set half way, RCA light weight carrier, & JP std wt silent capture with Black spring. Ejection at 3:30 - 4:00. Velocity with factory Hornady 108 ELDM 2570.

Of note on the Odin:
The 18" barrel ships with their low profile .750 semi adjustable GB. The 21" barrel comes with their .875 Full detent adj GS. They are not the same height. The 21" should have a straight gas tube, but they ship with the same offset tube as the 18" barrel (n)
I mocked up tube alignment till it was perfect in the carrier & ended up with the tube dead straight for the 21"

Before ever firing it got a good cleaning & I ran a VFD pellet with Iosso past the port area for 10-15 strokes. Then got brake clean and compressed air through the tube & 5 or 6 more patches.

Usually if a barrel is going to shoot it does so right out of the gate in my experience. This was throwing flyers.

Pics below are after 50 rounds & a thorough cleaning with Butches, Bore tech eliminator, & Hoppe's #9 Copper.
The port is dead center on a land. Looks like it was pealing copper and it was building up.
I think with a plus 2" gas & the larger port it requires (.101), it becomes more important that the port fall in a grove or at least is somehow deburred.

I've got some .055 abrasive cord & polishing cord. My thought is to slide a piece of break line in the barrel from muzzle end stopping just shy of the port, tape it in place, & thread the cord through port and break line. This is if Odin ever gets back to me and Green lights it. If not they can have it back.

Rainier Ultra Match 22" plus 2" gas delivers tomorrow so that's what is going back in.

From breach
WIN_20220130_20_21_43_Pro.jpg

From muzzle
WIN_20220130_20_39_25_Pro.jpg

This didn't exactly inspire confidence either. Not blaming this on the barrel though. Head space was perfect on the Go guage with Maxim bolt.
Hornady factory loaded Ammo was .012 short of a fired case on head space & apparently some brass does all the stretching in the unsupported area & some does not.

Had 7 out of 50 look like the case on left. Anyone else have this happen with the factory ammo?
IMG_6741.jpg

IMG_6738.jpg
IMG_6739.jpg

Reactions: AznTactical
Rainier Ultra Match 22" plus 2" gas delivers tomorrow so that's what is going back in.

Update on the Rainer? I wanted this barrel but it’s not in stock anywhere. Also I’m unsure of a 1:7 twist for this round.

Reactions: JKGTR
Not apples to apples but I had a CLE Criterion .223 Match 18" SPR barrel, and my 18" stainless Proof 6 ARC shoots better. Lots of little knothole 5-shot groups. I haven't ventured into AR's with my 20-shot groups... yet.. :)

I have a 24" CLE Bartlein 6 ARC barrel on order. Very curious to see how it shoots. I think I'm going to try it in PRS gas gun division for 2022.
Curious how your Proofs stack up to the Bartlein? I'm tyring to decide if the Bartlein is worth the wait (this would be my first very high end AR barrel so want to make sure it's a really good one)

Curious how your Proofs stack up to the Bartlein? I'm tyring to decide if the Bartlein is worth the wait (this would be my first very high end AR barrel so want to make sure it's a really good one)

I look at them as pretty much equals. My Bartlein was .936" all the way to the muzzle and I tuned the upper and put way more effort into it and it shot a little better, but had I done the same amount of tuning to the Proof It probably would be about the same.

In general, I look at Proof, Bartlein, Satern, Krieger, Brux, Rock Creek, Hawk Hill, HS Precision, etc.. all as basically equals.

Reactions: rlsmith1
My experience with Odin Works AR 15 barrel...it would not chamber rounds completely...worn reamer, inspected with bore scope...ordered a finish reamer, plus barrel nut would not fit over the barrel, too large OD ...bore out barrel nut, to fit over barrel.
It was just OK in accuracy.
My Proof Research barrels have all been very good for accuracy, and I recommend them, but others are having negative experiences with them...
Top 6mm ARC group was a BA barrel, the borrom 6mm ARC group was the first 5 shots fired out of a Proof SS barrel 1/2" ...same 108 gr ELDM load, I only use hand loads in all my firearms. All My Proof SS barrels shoot like that...or better. So that is why I recommend them...hope the next one is good too, & wondering if their quality is slipping or other factors are contributing to these new found inaccuracies.

Attachments

• 20201229_144508.jpg
    20201229_144508.jpg
    937.7 KB · Views: 21