• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Off-center Flash Holes

Rootshot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2006
SF Bay Area
I just received a box of 100 Remington R-P headstamp .260 brass. I noticed that about half of them have an off-center flash hole that appears to be about 1/2 the diameter of the flash hole off center.

My guess is that when I weight sort these I'll find two weight distribution nodes that indicate that multiple machines were used in making this brass.

The question is whether off-center flash holes have ever been proven to be detrimental to accuracy. Not sure if I should call Remington on this or whether it is a nit.

--Rootshot

Re: Off-center Flash Holes

i have 500 piece of Rem 260 Brass and about 1/2 of the flash holes are similar to what you describe, they shoot just fine for me. Its regularly shoots like this. 5 Shot 725yds 6.0 mils to 725

7255shot.jpg

My RP 260 & 7mm08 (also used for the 260) brass have been neck turned, primer pockets uniformed and flash holes de-burred, shoots in dots. Don’t waste your time weighing the brass, the web and head thickness will vary from piece to piece giving useless weight data.

Other than Lapua, Nosler is the best I've seen straight out of the box.

Great to hear that offset flash holes don't impact accuracy. I do neck turn non-Lapua brass.

--Rootshot

Root.....i dont do shit other than neck size and chamfer debur and shoot. It shoots little holes at 100yds, and is boringly accurate

If you're shooting for 5 shot groups that are being measured to the .001" (one thousandth of an inch) especially if it's at longer ranges, you might want to seperate your brass into centered and not centered. Benchrest shooters do this as a must do on new brass.

For hunting or banging steel at longer ranges, go for it. It isn't going to bother the group that much.

I bought 100 rounds of 222 Remington brass several years ago. I had a few rounds with the flash hole off far enough that the decapper pin was trying to punch a new hole. Not good. I was hoping Remington quality control was better now.

Damn right you should contact Remington. I wonder if they will ever get thier shit together. I've had issues with both rimfire and centerfire ammo from them (all ignition problems). I avoid Rem like the plague now.

FWIW They sent me a check, for more than I paid for the ammo, in todays stock market Remington ammo is a decent investment. Sadly. 400 rds of SV "target" from Wal-mart @ 6.97 per hundred, Check was for $40. Not a bad investment, anyone else getting close to 30% return on investments?

Maybe they'll send you 100 more then you can have 2 sets of 100, with and without centered holes.

Sorry-Rant off.

Back in 1980 or 81 I called Remington about some "blue label" target 22 ammo. I was shooting standard NRA "bullseye" pistol at the time. Less than half would fire. The lady said if I would send them the misfired rounds they would replace them. To this day I don't shoot Remington rimfire. I lumped off the full case + a few boxes at a gun show. Maybe the guy that bought it got better performance from it.

I went to CCI Green Tag and never looked back. Now I shoot CCI Standard Velocity. But my hands shake too much for me to be competitive any more.

Well, I sent Remington an email with my complaint and they rapidly turned around a pre-paid shipping label to me to send back the bad brass.

I just received a package from them. New brass (more than I sent in) and a nice letter explaining that the "alignment fixture at primer-piercing didn't lock properly"

The only problem is that they sent me primed brass. I guess they don't want me to inspect the flash holes
smile.gif

All in all, a good customer service experience.

Cheers,

Patrick