• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper’s Hide Cup Official 2012 Sniper's Hide Cup

Re: Official 2012 Sniper's Hide Cup

You mean Cleaned not swept. Sweeping is bad and will get you a DQ while cleaning a stage is good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean Cleaned not swept. Sweeping is bad and will get you a DQ while cleaning a stage is good.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: melody</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edited accordingly.</div></div>That would make it a clean-sweep.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean Cleaned not swept. Sweeping is bad and will get you a DQ while cleaning a stage is good.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: melody</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edited accordingly.</div></div>That would make it a clean-sweep.
laugh.gif
</div></div> English wasn't my first language and I often mix-up lingo. When shooting Bryan Yeung's firearm I referred to the "wall" of the trigger as the "floor"... I mess things up like that a lot...people usually get what I'm trying to say but I don't mind being corrected! LOL

I am going to pick up a good rangefinder for this match and the steel safari. I am looking at the bushnell binos, leica geovids and the vetronix monocular. For the cup are any of these not up to the task? I want to see if anyone who shot there used any of these and if you were happy with them.

A second question is, is a 260 enough gun for the spotters to call the hits? I saw a video where the spotter did not see the hit untill the shooter pointed out the target swinging.
Any hands on info is appreciated.

During SHC setup, I was able to get ranges on all the targets using my Swarovski with new batteries.. however, it was not always easy, I had to use some tricks, and many times it involved multiple "shots."

Based on my experince using Frank's Terrapin (Vectronix), that's the one I would recommend. I would take a Terrapin any day of the week over the Swarovski.

At the SS, Leicas would not range some of the targets on the "new" longer-range stage on the north course.

There should be no problem spotting hits with a .260. I don't know the video in question, but it was not uncommon for a shooter to give a really vague description of the target ID and as a result the spotter was on a different target (I saw this multiple times at the SHC).

hope this helps
Zak

If its any help...I had the Bushnell fusion and the Vectronix terrapin in my pack and I would choose the fusions for that particular competition. It was really nice to have the binos, and larger field of view to find targets, and the range finder hit every target out there pretty effortlessly. However the terrapin is a damn nice range finder.

I brought both my Zeiss Victory RF binoculars (10x45 T RF) and Vectronix Terrapin with me to the Steel Safari.

Comparing these two, plus the new Swarovski range-finding binoculars, I THINK I like the Swarovski best for the Steel Safari.

The Vectronix range-finding ability is hands-down superior. No doubt about that. It really feels slow though, compared to the other two. Others commented on this as well. I don't know how significant this really is, but when the clock is running it feels like forever.

The Zeiss seemed the fastest, but the reticle is HUGE and I personally find it difficult to read.

The Swarovski binoculars struck me as the best all-around compromise for the Steel Safari.

With all that said, even with awesome equipment like this, I still had a heck of a time actually FINDING a bunch of targets this year.

I can't say for sure, but I kind of felt like 8x binoculars might actually be better -- at least for finding targets -- than 10x.

I had a hard time getting legit ranges with the new Swarovski binocular range finder, albiet at longer distances.

I found the Terrapin to range faster than my Swarovski monocular range finger.

I guess YMMV..

Thanks guys. That is the kind of feedback i was hoping for. I do not mind spending the money i just want to make sure what I buy is up to the task. My last rangefinder was terrible. It was the 1500yd leupold. It would range reflective street signs no problem. Anything else on the other hand and it sucked. I had a hard time picking up steel past 600 and that was on its best days. I couldent range deer past 400, they advertise 800yd.

There's probably something to be said for being able to just press the button and get a good reading the first time, every time, with the Terrapin -- even it feels like it takes longer -- versus taking 2-3 tries to get a reading with the others.

I wasn't able to range the furthest 2 targets on the one really long stage of the Steel Safari with my Zeiss RF binoculars while I was on the clock. I didn't think to try afterward.

I struggled with finding targets and running out of time (because I spent too much time trying to find targets), so not being able to range those two targets wasn't a huge deal to me.
--

One more comment, since I don't see this mentioned much. It's probably because I'm a weird corner-case...

I'm left-handed, and left-eye dominant, but I shoot right-handed.

I'm also very red / green color deficient (color blind).

The Zeiss binoculars display the distance in the RIGHT eye. Between the color and the font and my eye dominance, I have a heck of a time reading it. I wind up looking for targets with both eyes, and then closing my left-eye to range.

The Swarovski displays in the LEFT eye. Much bolder and brighter text that's much easier for me to read.
--

Michael, check out Vectronix Vector IV's and Vector 21's. The very best of both worlds. Spendy, but in a class alone...

It is....I had it along at the shoot. It was really nice for finding true range from the staging areas. Point to point distance measuring is a feature I use a lot. Slope distance and vertical gain/fall is pretty handy as well. I could actually range the re-bar cross bars on the target stands...even at 1000+ meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
If those are the 13k pair i saw last night online then they are a little (Alot) out of my price range. But damn cool though

If I told you what my friend paid for those, you wouldn't believe me......grin!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Bryan Yeung placed in the top 10. It wasn't just his awesome gear that helped him win. He's disciplined, practices a lot, and knows his equipment. His GA Precision rifle responds like a champion. I'm really smitten with it and told my husband he might be getting my LTR because I want to get a custom rifle like Bryan's (but I'd probably get a different action).

Thanks again Bryan for letting me shoot your firearm and believing I could hit the target!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MissKahles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You all are great! Having never been an RO before, it was an absolute kick ass time, and I cannot wait until next year. Better watch out boys, this girls getting her time behind the gun! </div></div>

You go girl!! What rifle and cartridge will you be shooting? Do tell, do tell!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I told you what my friend paid for those, you wouldn't believe me......grin! </div></div>

grin.gif

Think Bryan enjoyed using them !

I ran Geovids (at the SS and the Cup) and they performed well but not perfect,,, had ranging problems at the SS on the stage that Zak mentioned... a guy (MTETM on here) ran his bushnells in my squad at the Cup and I was very impressed by their RF.. They outranged my geovids on the targets past 900.. If your on a tight budget, get the bushnell fushion,,, if not get the vector.

later
griz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Copper91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran Geovids (at the SS and the Cup) and they performed well but not perfect,,, had ranging problems at the SS on the stage that Zak mentioned... a guy (MTETM on here) ran his bushnells in my squad at the Cup and I was very impressed by their RF.. They outranged my geovids on the targets past 900.. If your on a tight budget, get the bushnell fushion,,, if not get the vector.

later
griz </div></div>
I can come up with the money for quality. I just want to make the right call the first goaround. Most of the calls and pm's were summed up the way you said. The fusions are great for the money. The vetronix is outstanding.
I would prefer a bino/rf combo but i am more concerned with good accurate ranging than an all in one unit. I am going to try to find a local shooter who has a vetronix so i can run it myself and see if i like it. Any of you guys shoot at the CRC, sporting rifle or 338 matches at raton?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maccrazy2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Copper91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ran Geovids (at the SS and the Cup) and they performed well but not perfect,,, had ranging problems at the SS on the stage that Zak mentioned... a guy (MTETM on here) ran his bushnells in my squad at the Cup and I was very impressed by their RF.. They outranged my geovids on the targets past 900.. If your on a tight budget, get the bushnell fushion,,, if not get the vector.

later
griz </div></div>

I can come up with the money for quality. I just want to make the right call the first goaround. Most of the calls and pm's were summed up the way you said. The fusions are great for the money. The vetronix is outstanding.
I would prefer a bino/rf combo but i am more concerned with good accurate ranging than an all in one unit. I am going to try to find a local shooter who has a vetronix so i can run it myself and see if i like it. Any of you guys shoot at the CRC, sporting rifle or 338 matches at raton?
</div></div>

You can check out my Swaro 8x42 RF Binos at the 8/5 SRM. Just PM me. -Sam

I had a PLRF 25C at the meet and it worked. Very compact and easy to use. Some cool features too. Now the shooter, he needs work.

I'd like to thank Zak, Frank and all the RO's for an absolutely awesome experience. No complaints heard from anyone; attitudes of my fellow shooters was top notch. I'm lucky to have been able to participate as it a memory I will cherish for quite a long time. Absolutely fantastic!

I have had my hands on most of the common rangefinders. The terrapin is the hands down winner. It was easy to range twice as far as the others with it. Thanks for the suggestions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MissKahles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well been shooting the Steyer SSG, but I am leaning closer to the 6.5x47. Optics? Kahles of course:) Glass is phenomenal. I was actually able to use our 8x binos throughout the match.
cool.gif
</div></div> you go girl!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean Cleaned not swept. Sweeping is bad and will get you a DQ while cleaning a stage is good. </div></div> I edited myself based on this note..but I am watching the Olympics and they keep using the term sweep as a good thing. My husband said sweep and swept is used all the time when talking about baseball series...sweeping multiple games... I was no doubt wrong in reference to just one stage...vs. Multiple stages...but I was thinking in terms of hitting every target... Which I can see why cleaned is the better more accurate word... Perfectionist. Had to make this qualifying post! Lol

Regarding safety rules, I viewed the you tube video of Tony Gimmelli shooting a stage as well as several other pictures posted on 'the hide' forums and I wonder if I'm the only one who noticed a lot of the shooters were seemingly violating your Safety Rule #11 Eye and ear protection is mandatory....or if that rule is optional. I'm not picking on any one individual and I don't want to be a spoil sport, Just an observation. Your thoughts on this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trooper #40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regarding safety rules, I viewed the you tube video of Tony Gimmelli shooting a stage as well as several other pictures posted on 'the hide' forums and I wonder if I'm the only one who noticed a lot of the shooters were seemingly violating your Safety Rule #11 Eye and ear protection is mandatory....or if that rule is optional. I'm not picking on any one individual and I don't want to be a spoil sport, Just an observation. Your thoughts on this?</div></div>

This is your first post,

Really,

All competitors are supposed to have eye and ear protection on at all times while in shooting areas. RO's sometimes have enough going on watching muzzle directions and so forth that they miss reminding the shooter about it. It's ultimately the shooter's responsibility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for the record I kept my pants on for the entire match.</div></div>

I didn't
whistle.gif

Judging by the all the comments, pictures, and videos looks like it was one hell of a good time! Give me a year or two and I might be ready to compete in it.

I just found this thread.
Looked at the pics, and the video which Nomad put up.

Got to thinking. Did anyone use a pda during the event?
Or was everything pre-planned, and ppl wrote down the info on paper. eg: Nomad had his dope on his wrist.

Just cuious.

What was the name of the guy/company, who was at a table on sponsor day, that made custom kevlar plate carriers with the quick-release fittings? That stuff was awesome. Expensive, but excellent quality gear. Anyone remember him?