• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I finally got my covert back from cerakote...anyone know how the trigger and all the internals go in....it's been so long since I took it apart I don't remember where everything goes....I should have made a video when I took it apart

Anybody have a DTA bolt they want to part with, looking to get my hands on either a short or long bolt for my new covert to pair up with a couple SAC barrels.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ok through judicial use of the pause button on dta's disassembly assembly video on you tube I figured out the trigger....yay

I'll order one up and try it on my non a1 stock and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Russ, around 12-SEP-2013 you posted the above. Since it appears next to impossible to order the new soft(er) butt-pad, I'm dying to learn how that pad turned out on non-A1 DTA SRS. Would be grateful for any update, as I can't use the current "meat tenderizer" with larger caliber (injury). :) :(

Mouse
NRA Life Member Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Russ, around 12-SEP-2013 you posted the above. Since it appears next to impossible to order the new soft(er) butt-pad, I'm dying to learn how that pad turned out on non-A1 DTA SRS. Would be grateful for any update, as I can't use the current "meat tenderizer" with larger caliber (injury). :) :(

Mouse

BAS402 ran into this already. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...hti-covert-hunter-thread-101.html#post2739219

Anybody have a DTA bolt they want to part with, looking to get my hands on either a short or long bolt for my new covert to pair up with a couple SAC barrels.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Dave,

I have a brand new .308 Bolt. PM if you are interested.

Rob

Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I don't think you got the question, which makes the answer less than usable..

BAS402 provided info on (his experience with) the new softer A1 butt-pad. This but-pad is currently impossible to get as an upgrade for an older Gen 1 SRS. And (on 12-SEP-2013) he mentioned a 3rd-party add-on butt-pad, asking if anybody had any experience with it. Russ said that he's going to try it on a non-A1 SRS and post his experience/opinion. This is what I'm asking for - info about how that 3rd-party butt-pad fits to SRS with monopod, and how effective it is softening recoil of larger calibers such as 338LM. If it works - I'll have a temporary solution until the A1 butt-pad becomes available as an upgrade.

Here's the URL to that product: http://wiebad.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=39

Russ, you're our only hope! ;)

Mouse

Last edited:
thank you to all. i knew bout the chronographs, but was unaware bout them being made to mount to a rifle. are the readings between the two close in accuracy? or is one better then the other? as for me, im in nor cal and saving to move back to the u.s.a..... lolol :) im so burnt out of cali bs, besides the firearm laws. they sure make it very hard with everything!! also i already have everything orderd for my dta, i must say thank you for the support fellas.... im so antsy for it lol. but when i orderd the chassis, i also did it all at once. pay once cry once ya know, i have the steiner 5-25x56 msr glass, and mounting rings. bi pod/mono, 308 22 inch/338lm conversions,soft n hard case. qd on 338 barrel. and yes a couple cool a$$ shirts too :) and ther maintenance kit. now im just waiting for the big box to come!! dave b..... thats great you got yours. i also want the hti system..... is it the same wait time you think??

Looking for ideas on an adhesive cheek pad? Gen 2 comb height is almost perfect but just need a smidgen more.

I used a hand cut piece of adhesive velcro and I forget what I put on top of the other side, but it worked pretty well on my M99

I assume left handed SRS's are on the very back burner, but is there a rough estimate when we will see one? I remember in Q1 someone said late fall or winter.

I did get an A1 replacement butt pad from DTA as my original broke the (2) top tabs. Called DTA warranty and they fixed me up. Let me just say that the original pad was always fine for me as I don't shoot anything over a 7WSM in this chassis. Anyway the new A1 pad looks good but I don't like the new plastic locking tabs (i think they will be prone to breaking but... That's still to be determined) but could get use to them I guess. It attaches/removes quickly. The main issue I have with it is when installed on my chassis it is loose... And rattles when locked in place. Another issue I have is that since I run with spacer with the old recoil pad the new one is 3/8" longer with one spacer and puts me in an awkward LOP when shooting in cold weather with a jacket. I tried to take out the spacer as I can do with the original but the new recoil pad will not lock into my chassis correctly due to the upper retaining tab. I think if I just mil out a notch in the top rear of my chassis it would work fine. The recoil pad is very cushy for sure but like I stated the old one was not and issue as for some that run the bigger calibers. As far as a direct replacement for a non A1 skins (I assume the A1's are made slightly differently) be prepared to do allittle fab work on your chassis for proper fit or buy new skins if you have a short LOP. Please note these are my thoughts with the A1 recoil retro fit and no one else's, I ended up getting another original butt mount from my dealer until I can spend more time checking things out closer cause the rattle/LOP issue for me is a no go.
Sully

BAS402 provided info on (his experience with) the new softer A1 butt-pad. This but-pad is currently impossible to get as an upgrade for an older Gen 1 SRS. And (on 12-SEP-2013) he mentioned a 3rd-party add-on butt-pad, asking if anybody had any experience with it. Russ said that he's going to try it on a non-A1 SRS and post his experience/opinion. This is what I'm asking for - info about how that 3rd-party butt-pad fits to SRS with monopod, and how effective it is softening recoil of larger calibers such as 338LM. If it works - I'll have a temporary solution until the A1 butt-pad becomes available as an upgrade.

Here's the URL to that product: Mini Stock Pad [WBMSP] - $39.99 : WieBad.com, Making Tactical, Practical

Mouse

Here's the URL to that product: Mini Stock Pad [WBMSP] - $39.99 : WieBad.com, Making Tactical, Practical

Mouse

I did receive one of these cheek pads in from from Wiebad and it was the one for the AICS stock, the same one that Russ and I were going to get. It mounts by way of felcro straps that go around the AICS cheek riser. It is about 1/8-3/16" thick before compressed. It is made very well and a nice piece of kit. As far as being able to mount to the DTA chassis you will need to cut the existing tabs off and glue a piece of felcro to it and do the same to your chassis as I look at it and I don't think it will stay it place very well over time. I ended up putting it on one of my AICS chassis and it works fantastic. As far as a cheek cushion I will stick with my patterned 1/8" cheekeze (comes in 1/16-3/16" thickness) that has been on my rig for over 1 1/2 years and has held up quite well and functions flawlessly, you can see this on pic'c that I have posted earlier in this thread and be your own judge. IHTH
Sully

I assume left handed SRS's are on the very back burner, but is there a rough estimate when we will see one? I remember in Q1 someone said late fall or winter.

I have absolutely no knowledge of this but from a business/common sense point of view it would not be in DTAs best interest to develop a left handed model until they are well caught up on current production which could take over a year. My best guess is we won't see one until 2015.

Why spend money to develop something new when you are already selling more than you can make of something else that's already developed.

Mouse

Thats and aftermarket cheek piece dude. Im not aware of any aftermarket butt pads. BTW...... I still run an original butt pad. LOL.

[MENTION=35086]bas402[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6295]RussW1911[/MENTION], thank you both for the info.

Shame on me - I did not realize that this Wiebad thing was just a cheek-pad. So even if it did fit to SRS, it would not address my need.

Let's hope DTA clears its rifles backlog, and produces enough of the new A1 butt-pads for us old-timers to upgrade.

Can anyone tell me if they sell cheek risers for Gen 1 chassis?

Last edited:
I did get an A1 replacement butt pad from DTA as my original broke the (2) top tabs. Called DTA warranty and they fixed me up. Let me just say that the original pad was always fine for me as I don't shoot anything over a 7WSM in this chassis. Anyway the new A1 pad looks good but I don't like the new plastic locking tabs (i think they will be prone to breaking but... That's still to be determined) but could get use to them I guess. It attaches/removes quickly. The main issue I have with it is when installed on my chassis it is loose... And rattles when locked in place. Another issue I have is that since I run with spacer with the old recoil pad the new one is 3/8" longer with one spacer and puts me in an awkward LOP when shooting in cold weather with a jacket. I tried to take out the spacer as I can do with the original but the new recoil pad will not lock into my chassis correctly due to the upper retaining tab. I think if I just mil out a notch in the top rear of my chassis it would work fine. The recoil pad is very cushy for sure but like I stated the old one was not and issue as for some that run the bigger calibers. As far as a direct replacement for a non A1 skins (I assume the A1's are made slightly differently) be prepared to do allittle fab work on your chassis for proper fit or buy new skins if you have a short LOP. Please note these are my thoughts with the A1 recoil retro fit and no one else's, I ended up getting another original butt mount from my dealer until I can spend more time checking things out closer cause the rattle/LOP issue for me is a no go.
Sully

Good to know! I have been wanting the A1 butt pad for my Gen 2 but I run it with no spacer. If I have to add a spacer plus the extra thickness of the butt pad its a deal breaker. The rattle and plastic tabs seem like a big minus for a hunting rig so I guess I'm now looking for other options. Thanks!

Hey fellas, I'm looking for a 308 bolt or conversion kits you may not want anymore. Pm me. Have a listing in wtb section also but not everyone looks there.

If you know a place that has them in stock, I'm looking but no luck so far. 308, 260, 6.5, 300 wm. Maybe others

Can anyone tell me if they sell cheek risers for Gen 1 chassis?

It's been mentioned here that A1 upgrades like the adjustable cheek riser and softer buttpad will be offered down the road for existing non-A1 customers, but not at the moment. The cheek riser will require some milling of the receiver before installation, so like the monopod for early Gen 1 rifles, it wouldn't be a drop-in solution and you'd have to send your receiver to DTA.

It's been mentioned here that A1 upgrades like the adjustable cheek riser and softer buttpad will be offered down the road for existing non-A1 customers, but not at the moment. The cheek riser will require some milling of the receiver before installation, so like the monopod for early Gen 1 rifles, it wouldn't be a drop-in solution and you'd have to send your receiver to DTA.

It is my understanding that some Gen 2 receivers are milled to accept the A1 cheek riser.

Can people still get Gen 1 conversions? Is there any upgrades that can be done to gen 1 SRS?

It is my understanding that some Gen 2 receivers are milled to accept the A1 cheek riser.

Yes, but he was asking about a Gen 1 rifle. More recent non-A1 Gen 2 rifles have already been milled to accept the cheek riser, according to Nick. And yes, Gen 1 extensions are about the easiest thing to get from DTA at the moment.

Sure you can. DTA says they'll support the gen 1 and gen 2 guns so yes you can still get conversions for them.

Frank

Frank is dead on. Finding dealers carrying Gen 1 conversions in the future may be a little more difficult, but DTA will still support them and your local dealer can order them for you too.

FYI - a Gen 2 Conversion will fit in a Gen 1 Chassis, it just takes a little longer to make sure everything is lined up before tightening the bolts down on the Chassis to mount the Conversion.

Since we can buy just the stock part, is it possible to buy one like in the link so we can have a adjustable cheek piece even though its a Gen 1?

Desert Tactical Arms SRS Monopod and Stock Tan - are on sale and free shipping. - EuroOptic.com

That stock does not have the adjustable cheek riser.

Gen 1 rifles will need to be sent into DTA to have the receivers milled for the cheek riser.

I would not anticipate this anytime soon as they are still over 9 months out on orders. Most of my SHOT order from January has yet to be filled.

My personal SRS is a Gen 2 and does not have a cheek riser. I have never felt the need for it. Most everyone that has shot my rifle also felt it was not needed. The padded butt plate would be a nice addition for shooting .338 LM though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I am trading my ugsw infidel (I have listed in for sale section) for a gen 1 with both a 308 and 338 conversions. I am now doubt free about the trade.

Thanks for the info. I am trading my ugsw infidel (I have listed in for sale section) for a gen 1 with both a 308 and 338 conversions. I am now doubt free about the trade.

The Gen 1 rifle is great. A big advantage to it is that it can run Gen 2 conversions if needed. The downside is that it you want an A1 conversion, it will most likely cost you a little more money and time.

The cheek piece is no big deal as long as I dont need it. I am excited, as long as nothing else falls through like the last couple deals.

The cheek piece is no big deal as long as I dont need it. I am excited, as long as nothing else falls through like the last couple deals.

Most of us haven't found the cheekpiece necessary and there are some other options out there if you think you need it. Someone was making buttpad/cheekrests that velcro on to the butt area and give you a soft place to put your cheek. Not sure who it was but look through the pages and you'll find it. I've not seen any need for the cheekrest or the buttpad on mine....

Frank

21 mil x 3.477 MOA = 73.017 MOA
Divided by 2 = 36.5

So, assuming that your scope zero's out at exactly the middle of its travel, you could run a 30 MOA base, and still have 6.5 MOA left of down travel. I'd be happy to be corrected.

Ty

ok so same question, but i have the steiner 5-25x56mm 34mm tube 26mils of elevation. thank you and would it be better with 200 yd zero? or is that pending on what distance someone is trying to get to?

ok so same question, but i have the steiner 5-25x56mm 34mm tube 26mils of elevation. thank you and would it be better with 200 yd zero? or is that pending on what distance someone is trying to get to?

Both what distance you plan on shooting to and the caliber. A .308 is fine with a 100 yards zero as I don't plan to shoot past 1000. For a .338 lm a 300 yard zero is prolly more useful since you will be taking shots out to 2000+ with that type of caliber.

Totally depends what you wanna use it for and how far you have access to shoot. If you only have access to 1000 yards a 100 yards zero is fine. Either way you input your zero distance into the ballistic computer and it's gonna spit you out the correct answer

I'd say with enough total adjustment it's perfectly OK to zero at 100 yards (worked fine with 338LM and 40-MOA DTA base, wish they kept making them). And with not enough of total adjustment range, zeroing at 200 yards still won't buy you extra reach.

26 mil x 3.477 MOA = 90.4 MOA
Divided by 2 = 45.2 MOA

Again, assuming your scope zero's out right in the middle, you should be able to run as much as a 40 MOA canted mount and still have 5 MOA of down travel.

The difference between a 100 yard zero and 200 is only about 1.25 MOA. I always run 100 yard zero, but to each his own.

Ty

fireguyTy's Sin City Precision barrels

What a great morning!

This morning I shot a ladder for Hodgdon H4350 with 139 grain Scenars in my new 26" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, one of fireguyTy's Sin City Precision barrels chambered off a Benchmark 1-8" blank with an AWC brake/adapter.

Because my brass is limited, I only had 3 rounds in 41.7 grains H4350, but the group was 0.131 moa. I had 5 rounds of 41.6 grains H4350, four rounds went into 0.218 moa and the fifth round, a called flyer, opened the group to 0.540 moa.

I do believe I will add 41.8 grains H4350 to the next ladder.

What an excellent barrel made by an excellent man!

Attachments

• 41.7.jpg
    41.7.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 41.6.jpg
    41.6.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 26
Orkan - Is it normal for their eyes to bug out like that; looks cartoonish

What's the difference in profile between the standard DTA and your Predator Edition Barrel? I'm liking the Straight (1.250") profile but that's got to be heavy, how heavy?

Bo

Well, it's normal when a 52SMK lands on their face at 4100FPS. :D The hydrodynamic pressure is so severe that it bulges their eyes out. It happens with other cartridges as well, but speed is surely a deciding factor as to how much extension those peepers achieve!

I forget the exact specs of that barrel off the top of my head, but I believe it is .600 at the muzzle (26") and accommodates at 1/2x28 thread spec with just enough shoulder to keep things straight. It is quite a lot lighter than the standard profile barrels which can accommodate a 3/4x24 thread spec at equal length. Yes the 30" 1.250" is a pig, but in 338LM, I don't mind. ;) I'll have to do a weight comparison directly between the barrels sometime.

What a great morning!

This morning I shot a ladder for Hodgdon H4350 with 139 grain Scenars in my new 26" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, one of fireguyTy's Sin City Precision barrels chambered off a Benchmark 1-8" blank with an AWC brake/adapter.

Because my brass is limited, I only had 3 rounds in 41.7 grains H4350, but the group was 0.131 moa. I had 5 rounds of 41.6 grains H4350, four rounds went into 0.218 moa and the fifth round, a called flyer, opened the group to 0.540 moa.

Thanks for the kind words Doc, and good shooting!

Ty

my oo my!!! i cant wait to play with mine, so jealous!!! so ready for that phone call to come. so what would be better for the glass to mount on? rings or qwik mount? and i understand the math part for the moa, but where does the 3.477 min of angle coming from? thank you.... just trying to learn the right way.

my oo my!!! i cant wait to play with mine, so jealous!!! so ready for that phone call to come. so what would be better for the glass to mount on? rings or qwik mount? and i understand the math part for the moa, but where does the 3.477 min of angle coming from? thank you.... just trying to learn the right way.

1 Mil = 3.477 MOA

I would buy a DTA 30 or 40 MOA canted base.

Take care,
Ty

What a great morning!

41.8 grains of H4350 opened up, so 41.7 it is!

I love this barrel. Thanks Ty. Good work!

If .1gr makes a marked difference, you are not in the middle of your node.

Agreed. Your scale can't even measure to +-.1 grains most likely. You're seeing a combination of coincidence, and luck most likely. How many groups did you shoot? Statistically you need about 5-7 groups for your error term to get low enough that the data you're seeing is statistically significant.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Our ordered case of brass arrived yesterday and a family fun evening of reloading allowed for significant additional testing this morning, (supplementing 2 weeks of repeatedly reloading our original 40 cases). To be clear, 41.8 grains H4350 "opened up," not "fell completely apart." A significant detectable difference, but not a "marked difference."

Being a thoughtful and careful sort of fellow, please be sure that on its steady platform, free of even air currents, and carefully calibrated, our Sartorius AY123 is accurate to ±0.02 grains, on the order of single flecks of extruded powder.

I suppose we could do another few hundred rounds of methodical testing, but I do believe it is time to get off the bench and let the kids have some real long range fun klanging steel. 41.7 it is! Thanks again for the suggestions.

I love this barrel (and the kids love it too). Thanks Ty. Good work!