• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Got Our DTAs Out in the AZ Desert Yesterday

Shooting steel at 550 yards in beautiful weather. Only issue was shooting into the sun. Scopes were March 3-24X, S&B 5-20X with MSR reticle and USO ?3-22X. What's not to like! Almost seems unfair.
20140120_101529_zpsorr7tvkk.jpg

20140120_103622_zpswtulizj9.jpg

20140120_093918_zpswgm4nn3c.jpg

If you look closely you can see the 2 TargetCams in the foreground.

Can anyone tell me if this normal for a new rifle? I bought this rifle 2 weeks ago. I've only ran the bolt back and forth, it hasn't even been fired yet.
The coating inside the receiver is flaking off. There were bare spots like this when I picked it up at my dealer. Do they normally ship like new?

Can anyone tell me if this normal for a new rifle? I bought this rifle 2 weeks ago. I've only ran the bolt back and forth, it hasn't even been fired yet.
The coating inside the receiver is flaking off. There were bare spots like this when I picked it up at my dealer. Do they normally ship like new?

Normal. Mine did this and still shoots better than I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just made aware of this issue from a customer. Your bolt may have a slight burr on it causing it to wear the aluminum. Look over your bolt closely. If you find a burr, you can take a fine file to it and eliminate the issue, or you can call DT and they will take care of it for you.

yep ive only had mine as wel for about 2 wks and haven't put 1 round threw it yet, just cleaned it all and my bolt has done the same to mine. don't stress!!! practice bolt movement any ways and get use to that groove, it'll get smoother and slide better in time.

yep ive only had mine as wel for about 2 wks and haven't put 1 round threw it yet, just cleaned it all and my bolt has done the same to mine. don't stress!!! practice bolt movement any ways and get use to that groove, it'll get smoother and slide better in time.

This. I was surprised how rough it was when I got it. Now the action is like glass

This. I was surprised how rough it was when I got it. Now the action is like glass

ya mine was like stuck in mudd trying to slide the bolt, i cleaned the crap out of everything and super lubed and just kept working the bolt, i have a little scaring, but it stopped once i keptd oiling and working it.

Shooting steel at 550 yards in beautiful weather. Only issue was shooting into the sun. Scopes were March 3-24X, S&B 5-20X with MSR reticle and USO ?3-22X. What's not to like! Almost seems unfair.

which calbr where you shooting? and which cameras where you using out their? they look kinda big, like a good size rock next to them. great pics though, beats a good day at work

Gorgeous setup!! Def. jealous ahah!

which calbr where you shooting? and which cameras where you using out their? they look kinda big, like a good size rock next to them. great pics though, beats a good day at work
We were shooting 308 168gr SMK and got my MRAD out and shot some 338LM. The flappers on the large target are fun to knock back and forth.

Those are TargetCam cameras and work well. Really fun to watch the misses and steel hits on the moniter. Bought the unit last Fall with the 2 cameras and have just started using it on a more regular basis. Cameras and moniter have rechargeable batteries with about 6 hour life. Haven't manage to shoot one of the cameras yet!

Cameras are small. About 3X4X6 inches.

Last edited:
I was just made aware of this issue from a customer. Your bolt may have a slight burr on it causing it to wear the aluminum. Look over your bolt closely. If you find a burr, you can take a fine file to it and eliminate the issue, or you can call DT and they will take care of it for you.

I couldn't find any burrs. If this is the type of wear I get in 2 weeks... don't know how well it will hold up down the road.

We were shooting 308 168gr SMK and got my MRAD out and shot some 338LM. The flappers on the large target are fun to knock back and forth.

Those are TargetCam cameras and work well. Really fun to watch the misses and steel hits on the moniter. Bought the unit last Fall with the 2 cameras and have just started using it on a more regular basis. Cameras and moniter have rechargeable batteries with about 6 hour life. Haven't manage to shoot one of the cameras yet!

Cameras are small. About 3X4X6 inches.

Yeah, I have the TargetCam.net set up also. The cameras are small, and I haven't hit one yet. You can place them pretty far from the target so they are out of the way. The range from the camera to the monitor can be up to 2500 yards so that is sweet. I have used mine up to 1000 yards so far, with no reception problems.

One of the calibers I run in the DTA is the 338LM, so having a targetcam that can see past 1000 yards is a great help.

One of the calibers I run in the DTA is the 338LM, so having a targetcam that can see past 1000 yards is a great help.

On a semi-related note, when I was back CONUS for the holidays, I brought one these a local Kiwi makes:

Kit

It's a sensor you mount to the back of the steel and runs either a cable or wireless to a camera flash. During one of our BLM outings we had targets from 1030 to 1550 yards and while it's relatively easy to spot impacts with .338LM at those distances, lesser cartridges like .223REM, .308WIN and 6.5x47L were harder to spot, especially on the farthest target. With the Blaze system, it's a no brainer. Even people just looking with their naked eye could spot hits that triggered the flash in the Mojave sun. Unfortunately, a lucky .338LM shot through the center swing-out destroyed the sensor, so it's best to protect it or mount it somewhere that it won't be affected by bullets blasting apart.

I'm getting ready to place a bullet order...Does anybody have any data comparing 175g Sierra Matchkings out of a DTA308 22" barrel? I noticed its twist is a little slower than other barrels. Are the 175gr gtg or will the 168gr bullets work better?

I shoot 178gr bullets very well from my DTA 308. I shoot them just as well in my 1:12 R700 PSS.

Same here. My 16" seems to favor the 178 amax over the 175 smk pretty strongly. That's using varget and 4064.

My 16" like the 155 scenars really well, okay with 178 amax or 175 smk. Bout the same with 168 amax. All using varget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you guys using our TargetCam...if you run into any reception issues let me know. I hunted down an engineer who specializes in antennas. He designed some small light little directional antennas for our TargetCam system. They are directional and very efficient. Most people don't need them but just in case.

Elevation is the key to transmitting over long distance. A few feet off the ground is usually all you need. Full size tripod height. Placing the camera directly on the ground really reduces range.

you guys using our TargetCam...if you run into any reception issues let me know. I hunted down an engineer who specializes in antennas. He designed some small light little directional antennas for our TargetCam system. They are directional and very efficient. Most people don't need them but just in case.

Elevation is the key to transmitting over long distance. A few feet off the ground is usually all you need. Full size tripod height. Placing the camera directly on the ground really reduces range.
so are these better new antennas going to be coming with your set up's? or just special order? also whats the longest range your set reaching too, cause i was looking at that system that came out, but want whos reachs the best and longest. also i love that cartoon you on here, got me laughing!!

so are these better new antennas going to be coming with your set up's? or just special order? also whats the longest range your set reaching too, cause i was looking at that system that came out, but want whos reachs the best and longest. also i love that cartoon you on here, got me laughing!!

damn, I love those DTA rifles

DirtyHarry, The antennas are optional equipment because a lot of people don't need them. They are recommended when using the system on flat ground and trying to cover long range. I've tested our system out past 4 miles. You are able to clearly see shots on target from this range. I test with a 3X5 card that has BB holes in it. I can clearly see all of the BB holes from 4 miles away.

Feel free to give me a call with any questions anytime between 8AM and 11PM West coast time. (775)852-9449
Keith...aka TahoeRider

Last edited:
Anyone know if DTA sells the middle part of the upper receiver and cheek rest. Im working on a .22LR clone using a Savage MKII F. I need it to attach my CASV quad rail.
12098121266_dc27691f69_c.jpg

damn, I love those DTA rifles

DirtyHarry, The antennas are optional equipment because a lot of people don't need them. They are recommended when using the system on flat ground and trying to cover long range. I've tested our system out past 4 miles. You are able to clearly see shots on target from this range. I test with a 3X5 card that has BB holes in it. I can clearly see all of the BB holes from 4 miles away.

Feel free to give me a call with any questions anytime between 8AM and 11PM West coast time. (775)852-9449
Keith...aka TahoeRider
Keith is a great guy and will be happy to answer any questions and he backs up his work. The whole system with 2 cameras fits in a small Pelican case he sends them in "sans tripods".

Anyone know if DTA sells the middle part of the upper receiver and cheek rest. Im working on a .22LR clone using a Savage MKII F. I need it to attach my CASV quad rail.

The middle part is the receiver and it extends from the buttpad to the handguard. You'll just have to make a shell from something else.

Frank

My 16" like the 155 scenars really well, okay with 178 amax or 175 smk. Bout the same with 168 amax. All using varget.

What is the Scenar load you are using?

They do not shoot at all well from 3x DTA's we have tried but I have thought we may be pushing them too hard in the faster twist barrel. Typically 46-46.5 of Varget or N140 in Lapua brass was a go to load but not working here. I have a couple of thousand Scenars but the heavies just shoot so well in the DTA I have not gone back to them.

Tony

They do not shoot at all well from 3x DTA's we have tried but I have thought we may be pushing them too hard in the faster twist barrel. Typically 46-46.5 of Varget or N140 in Lapua brass was a go to load but not working here. I have a couple of thousand Scenars but the heavies just shoot so well in the DTA I have not gone back to them.

Tony

Lapua brass, fed 210 primer, 46.5 gr of varget coal 2.855
I have not done alot with them because they are so stinkin expensive!! But at 300 yd 3 of them could be covered by a nickel and the other 2 went far off!

45g Ramshot Tac, Wolf primer, 2.850 OAL (.010 jump), Federal brass. Getting about 2725 FPS with a 22" barrel. At this speed its not going to work for 1000, but should be a fine 800yd and in load. I'm working with tac because I've got a ton of it on hand.

Ran 5-shot groups as I was hunting for a more accuracy than I was getting from 2.775 OAL. I shot groups of 5 at 2.800, 2.825, and 2.850. I found 2.850 was my winner at < .250" group @ 100yds.

Lapua brass, fed 210 primer, 46.5 gr of varget coal 2.855
I have not done alot with them because they are so stinkin expensive!! But at 300 yd 3 of them could be covered by a nickel and the other 2 went far off!

Sounds as though I need to go back and try again, the DTA is the only rifle I have tried where that recipe did not work.

Tony

So did they say anything about when these are going to be available?

I was told that I was going to get one shortly before the release to run it though its paces. That estimate was April. I am really looking forward to it. The MDR is amazing, but I'm a bolt gun shooter. I think this chassis with the monopod will be a sweeping success.

Ty

ok, so im having a bit of a problem. on my .308 barrel i threaded on the qd brake and i try'ed every washer pattern they sent with it, but i can't the brake holes line up horizontal only longitudinally blowing back into the dirt and towards the sky? any ideas? go buy more washers to push brake out farther on the threads? but with that said it should of lined up cause dt sent thin n thick washers like 7 or 8 of them and not any of them position it right on the threads.

I've found the best way to install the QD brake is to find a shim that gets it to about 20 degrees short. Then put some blue loqtite on both sets of threads, screw it on by hand, then torque it until it lines up. I've got them on six barrels at this point and that setup seems to work well.

Nukes, in one of videos Nick basically said both rifles are identical, just a matter of swapping out a shorter barrel and forend to make the MDR-C. Think SRS vs Covert - same rifle just shorter barrel and forend.

Finally completed my cheek pad and I'm pretty happy with it. I initially ordered a couple of KICK-EEZ pads that were ok but then I ordered a couple of 3" x 6" customizable GOD'A GRIP pads and loved the textured ones. Once I had the right thickness for my setup, 3/16 inch thick, I cut the pad and did a pretty good job but I had to make it perfect and screwed it up in the process...should have left it at pretty good! D'oh! I was pissed because it takes a minimum 2 weeks to get anything to me in the mail and I work 14hrs a day wrestling bad guys so I don't have a lot of time for arts and crafts. I didn't want to mess up anymore pads so I contacted Michael Godard and asked if there was anywhere I could get my pattern precision cut and Michael offered to cut it for me which is pictured below. It's not perfect, thicker pads are a bitch to cut, but its pretty damn good! I gotta say that I don't mind not having the A1 now that I have this pad on my Gen 2 but if I had an A1 I would still slap a 1/16 inch thick textured pad on there. Only problem with this is the A1 cheek rest is approx. 7 inches long where as the customizable GOD'A GRIP pads are 6 inches. Not sure if he can get them a little longer if any A1 guys wanted it but it wouldn't hurt to check if so inclined. I'd also like to thank the couple of guys that sent me pics and measurements of their A1 pads which saved me some frustration...thanks!

SRSGODAGRIP_zpse504ec13.jpg

Thanks for sharing brother, a very inexpensive but very nice add on. I got the 1/8" I could have used the 1/16" but thought the extra cushion might absorb more, the one thing I'm not liking is the tackiness. Everything is wanting to stick to it.

I will be picking up a couple Covert Chassis, Monopods, and .308 conversions from Desert Tech tomorrow. Let me know if you are still looking.

Anyone have a local store with a new or used A1 Covert w/ monopod in stock? Chassis or .308 or .338 would be fine.

I think I am going to sell my ATACS Gen1 for one.

ok, so im having a bit of a problem. on my .308 barrel i threaded on the qd brake and i try'ed every washer pattern they sent with it, but i can't the brake holes line up horizontal only longitudinally blowing back into the dirt and towards the sky? any ideas? go buy more washers to push brake out farther on the threads? but with that said it should of lined up cause dt sent thin n thick washers like 7 or 8 of them and not any of them position it right on the threads.

Did you try stacking a couple washers?

Did you try stacking a couple washers?

ya i try'ed all of them, thin or thick. stacked or mixed up never got close to where its horzlly im gonna go threw them again tonight while listening to coast to coast am before i put any locktite on ther. just seems odd their washers don't line it up with their barrel threads. any 260 convrs?

You don't want them to line up exactly hand tight. Just get close, then torque it down the last bit to line it up.

Thanks for sharing brother, a very inexpensive but very nice add on. I got the 1/8" I could have used the 1/16" but thought the extra cushion might absorb more, the one thing I'm not liking is the tackiness. Everything is wanting to stick to it.

Would like to see the other sides of your rigs so I can see how this pads fits up

That is actually what I like because I feel like I'm part of the rifle and can relax better behind the scope. I know you're referring to everything sticking to the pad but the tackiness wears off. My older pads are not tacky anymore like my new pad is but they still provide an attached to the rifle feel and are not slippery like the kick-eze ones I tried previously. Probably just needs some more face grease. lol