• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Very valid points fireguy. There was a time that I believed just as you believe.

Over time, I began to realize the situation is not quite that simple. There are a myriad of factors that can be important when shooting competitions. I wouldn't say that brakes are 2x more effective at attenuating recoil. That is a pretty broad statement that does not account for all the different styles of brakes, nor suppressors. I find that a suppressor gives me a very good compromise of all the things which are important to me.

With a suppressor, recoil is attenuated enough to make me not miss my brake. Additionally, the lack of muzzle blast keeps my concentration completely intact... and keeps dirt out of my face. :)

Eh, I see your point, Ty. But I still don't see brakes for short action cartridges as a necessity, though admittedly it could depend on the application. Magnums are a whole other story though.

I am of the opinion that suppressors are much more effective than brakes at recoil reduction. I shoot my .338 Lapua SRS with a can and my little wife will shoot it too. With the brake it has a lot more recoil and without the brake its even worse. In watching some pendulum testing done by another shooter it was apparent that the suppressors were clearly more effective for recoil reduction. A really good brake can do some great work but a suppressor works better. When you look at how the things work it seems to me that a suppressor has a lot more area to slow gasses and recover energy. A brake may redirect some of this gas and add a little more pull but the kinetic energy available in high energy gas will transfer more of it to the suppressor because it has more time to function. Transferring all that energy to the can means more pull on the barrel and thats what is reducing recoil. With the can you also get much less noise and nearly no blast so people are much more comfortable shooting. I'm with Dogtown on the little cals....I shoot with a can on my 6.5X47 in the SRS but only because it reduces the noise. This pipsqueak doesn't kick enough to take my scope off target even without the can. With a rifle weighing in at 15lb or so I wouldn't waste time with a brake.

Frank

Very valid points fireguy. There was a time that I believed just as you believe.

Over time, I began to realize the situation is not quite that simple. There are a myriad of factors that can be important when shooting competitions. I wouldn't say that brakes are 2x more effective at attenuating recoil. That is a pretty broad statement that does not account for all the different styles of brakes, nor suppressors. I find that a suppressor gives me a very good compromise of all the things which are important to me.

With a suppressor, recoil is attenuated enough to make me not miss my brake. Additionally, the lack of muzzle blast keeps my concentration completely intact... and keeps dirt out of my face. :)

Again, respectfully I disagree. When I shot the PRS finale this year they had all 50 of us "pro's" fill out a long sheet concerning every aspect of our gear. Below is a link to the article concerning just this topic. As you will see 31 of the 50 of us shooters used brakes, 13 used cans, and 5 used nothing. 7 said they use either brake or can depending on the situation. So over 2 to 1 choose to run a brake over a can, and nearly all of these guys can run what ever they want for free. Further 52% of the shooters used a 6mm cartridge, and 46% used a 6.5 of some sort. So nearly no one (with the exception of the one guy running a 300 WM) had a heavy recoiling cartridge.

Again, I have 7 cans from 4 different manufacturers, and have shoot most of the other major contenders. Brakes currently mitigate recoil better. I think further proof of this is that several of the suppressor companies have released cans this year with brakes on the end of the can to reduce recoil.

The lack of muzzle blast absolutely does exist, but is nullified by the other 23 guys on the line. On that line, do you want to be the guy taking the muzzle blast and dirt to the face or the one sending it back? It is a competition after all.....

At the bottom of the article there are links to every other aspect to our gear. Cartridges, rifles, scopes, powder, brass, projectiles, even rear bags used. It is an interesting read.

I appreciate the good points on this discussion, and the great thing about this sport is that next year we will evolve even more and all the gear will be improved and different.
Ty

Best Muzzle Brakes and Suppressors ? What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Good question. Depends.

If you are by yourself, or with a group of shooters who ALL have cans, then suppressor is the ticket. If one guy doesn't have a can, it ruins it.

If you are hunting, suppressor.

If you are shooting in any situation where time of flight is short, and your target is small (inside of 500 yards) take all steps to ensure you see your hit or miss. These include; proper body positioning, shooting a caliber that is manageable, using less magnification, and using the most effective recoil reducing device you own.

These are just my opinions on my experiences and my current drive......which is competition. Please take that for face value. I like my cans and won't give them up. I just don't use them when I am wanting to take every advantage available.

Ty

Factory Ammo - Further Tests

8ZTowALl.jpg

bHGZEkpl.jpg

LB3JYQSl.jpg

DvreXcRl.jpg

ecoVtBbl.jpg

I went back to the range today and tried different factory ammo once more. So far, I have to say the best, consistent and accurate brand is the Cor-Bon Performance Match Ammunition 260 Remington 123 Grain Lapua Scenar. I've ordered a couple boxes of their 139 Grain bullet to see the difference. I also added an extra spacer and worked on my shooting position, grip and trigger control. I think I'll have to move the trigger a bit closer to me.

Too bad the wind was gusting 12-15mph... Will be back for more soon!! :)

I had fireguyty spin me up a barrel for my DTA in 6.5 SAUM, and I just wanted to write a quick review of the barrel. Ty did a great job with fast turnaround and great attention to detail. I finally received my SRS-A1 chassis and got a chance to shoot it these last few weekends.

I sighted in the rifle, then proceeded to fire a 5 shot 100 meter group. It put all 5 in one ragged hole. Keep in mind, these were shot after having put just three rounds through the barrel to sight it in. If it never improves upon that accuracy after complete break-in, I won't complain!

I took it out to the desert the next weekend to see how it would do at distance. It engaged targets out to 1600 meters with authority. I shot a four shot group at 1505 meters measuring 10". There wasn't a lot of wind to contend with, but I was still very impressed with this barrel. It also fed perfectly from a 308 mag. All I had to do was bend the lips out a little to accommodate the fatter SAUM case. The 6.5 SAUM loaded to 2.880" COAL with the 130 Berger VLD bullets works very well in the DTA platform. If you have been thinking about a 6.5 SAUM in a DTA, hit Ty up and have him spin one up for you. You won't regret it! He does phenomenal work.

nice job!! i got out the other day for the first outing with her, and was floored with the hole darn system. feels like im cheating lolol can't get enough of that trigger feel

nice job!! i got out the other day for the first outing with her, and was floored with the hole darn system. feels like im cheating lolol can't get enough of that trigger feel

The SRS is a great rifle system. Every time a customer tries one out, I almost always hear "Wow, that has a great trigger".

I may swap my chassis out and upgrade to an A1 later this year, but I don't ever expect to part with this rifle system.

The SRS is a great rifle system. Every time a customer tries one out, I almost always hear "Wow, that has a great trigger".

I may swap my chassis out and upgrade to an A1 later this year, but I don't ever expect to part with this rifle system.
ya as crazy as it sounds, and the fact the rifle just got in my hands, i'd like to grab an a1 also. something big bore though or hti has crossed my mind to after shooting the srs now.

ya as crazy as it sounds, and the fact the rifle just got in my hands, i'd like to grab an a1 also. something big bore though or hti has crossed my mind to after shooting the srs now.

Let me know when you are ready for that HTI.

I ended up trading my dta for a AI and cash this week. I will be upgrading to the SRS A1 in the next few weeks. I like the new smooth rail and cheek piece. Do any distributers sell the lapua bolts seperate?

Last edited:
I ended up trading my dta for a AI and cash this week. I will be upgrading to the SRS A1 in the next few weeks. I like the new smooth rail and cheek piece. Do any distributers sell the lapua bolts seperate?

I should have my 338LM bolt from Orkan (Primal Rights) on Monday.

I don't have any Lapua Bolts in stock, but I can get them. I should have some more A1 rifles coming in over the next few weeks too. Let me know if there is anything that I can help you with.

Ok, I finally have all the pieces and this is the result.

20140201_153246.jpg20140201_153321.jpg

Attachments

• 20140201_153237.jpg
    20140201_153237.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 20140201_153313.jpg
    20140201_153313.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 29
454Casull

The rifle looks really nice. Have you been able to shoot it yet?

by any chance do you have any mags in stock? .308/338lm? and whats you thoughts on the online training video's on here? are they worth paying for?

Euro Optic has mags
sweet! thank you........ i wish they made ten rd mags.... or even 8 rd would be sweet. those 5 go so dang fast.... dam near feel like theirs a parking meter next to me and time running out to feed it again lolol

454Casull

The rifle looks really nice. Have you been able to shoot it yet?

No, not yet unfortunately, hope to be on the range next week. Have to say that just with dry firing, the trigger felt amazing. It's not my Anschutz supermatch, but very surprised (in a good way) by the trigger.

Whats the longest COAL the DTA 300win and 338L mags will handle? Enough to shoot the 230gr Bergers out of a 300win?

When I asked about 10 round mags 6-9 months ago, DTA said they were working on it, but that they had other priorities. Since we haven't heard any ETAs yet, its best to assume you will have to use your 5-6 round mags for the foreseeable future.

I am really happy with the DTA system, but the lack of a 10-round mag is an issue IMO. If you shoot matches, you will sometimes be doing an extra mag change that the folks next to you aren't.

Agreed, though the word from Nick has generally been "we're aware of the issue, we're working on it, but we won't release anything until it's good and ready." Needless to say, there's now a hole in the market that a third party should consider filling, especially since these rifles have exploded in popularity in the last 18 months.

I agree. I would love to see 10 round mags, as the current mags can be a bit of a disadvantage on a 10 round PRS stage.

Agreed, though the word from Nick has generally been "we're aware of the issue, we're working on it, but we won't release anything until it's good and ready." Needless to say, there's now a hole in the market that a third party should consider filling, especially since these rifles have exploded in popularity in the last 18 months.

I hope that someone picks up the ball and runs with it.....lack of 10 rounders is a serious drawback for just about any competitive use.

(My scuttlebutt understanding is that company opposition to 10 rounders exists due to a perception that they will be harder to reload prone, and that that's actual reason for the obfuscation we're seeing. Most peculiar!)

Last edited:
There could be some truth to that, because just making the mags longer will result in that exact problem. However, I think most of us are expecting a double-stack variant, which could be a bit of an engineering challenge because of the way the magwell is designed. One of the things that I really liked initially about the SRS was the way the magazines were designed to allow us to seat bullets out further than most other mags as well as the way they capture the cartridge on the shoulder. Trying to take this design and morph it into a double-stack has got to be difficult.

I'm ready for a left hand HTI in 50 bmg ?
If you have one, I'll wire the funds !

Hopefully that is something that we will see this year. If I had my wish list for DTA this year, it would include 10 round mags, left handed SRS/Cover Chassis, and left handed HTI Chassis.

I agree. I would love to see 10 round mags, as the current mags can be a bit of a disadvantage on a 10 round PRS stage.
That's a fact that is why @ these matches my DTA stays at home and I take my custom feeding from an AW mag.

That's a fact that is why @ these matches my DTA stays at home and I take my custom feeding from an AW mag.

Hard to argue this, but don't you feel that the SRS is superior in positional and barricade stages? I feel like everyone can shoot prone. Positional, movement and barricades is where the money is made.

I admit that changing mags sucks, but its rare that the clock beats me before I get all my rounds off. I would love a 10 rounder though...

Ty

Does anyone have any thoughts on using Borka's new torque driver kit with settings for 65-, 75-, and 85in-lbs for DTA rifles? Is +/- 5in-lbs too risky? I've already bit the bullet and bought the Seekonk wrench for my HTI, but being able to carry a single driver kit beats single-purpose tools. I have the previous generation multi-driver kit and love it (but it only goes up to 72 in-lbs).

Hard to argue this, but don't you feel that the SRS is superior in positional and barricade stages? I feel like everyone can shoot prone. Positional, movement and barricades is where the money is made.

I admit that changing mags sucks, but its rare that the clock beats me before I get all my rounds off. I would love a 10 rounder though...

Ty

Changing mags sucks and so does shooting left handed. I'm still taking my DTA to my next match...

Ty

I'll give it to you there Ty, I'm just not that good yet. If and when DT ever gets the elusive 10 Rd mag going then the system would be complete in my book, Yes Nick it is needed!!!

Ty

The SRS is nice on the barricade stages and really nice if you are shooting unsupported. I would still welcome a 10 round mag.

So another thing is I lost the one of the screw on my adjustable cheek piece. Anyone have an extra laying around DTA doesn't sell them individually but if I pay 90+ bucks I can get an extra parts kit and it might be in there........

DT's Warranty department is A M A Z I N G!

WP_20140204_003.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully that is something that we will see this year. If I had my wish list for DTA this year, it would include 10 round mags, left handed SRS/Cover Chassis, and left handed HTI Chassis.
From your mouth to Nicks ears ! I have hopes for this year, cause if it takes any longer, the only DTA I'm going to be able to own in NY will be an air soft model !

From your mouth to Nicks ears ! I have hopes for this year, cause if it takes any longer, the only DTA I'm going to be able to own in NY will be an air soft model !

I spoke with Nick today while I was at DT's office. I was told that there is a 10 round mag in the works. He also told me that he knows there is a demand for the left handed rifle and it sounded like one will be coming this year.

I recommend that you send him a message and inform him of the changes in NY.

For those of you wanting a 10 round mag, would you want a longer single stack mag, or would you be willing to pay for a new set of skins that could run a double stack mag?