• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I just ordered an SRS A1 in 338LM. I have a vortex razor HD 35mm tube. do you guys have any input on what rings I should get for this set up? The gun hasn't showed up yet and I'm trying to get everything lined up before she arrives. Thanks!

It's going to be hard to find rings that have a cant, and as your shooting a 338 you need from 20 to 40 moa cant. So thus you need a mount.

You're in luck, AMD aka American Defense makes a 35mm mount in 40moa, if you can find the SW in 40moa get it as it's wider and has the right height to clear the bell hosing on the optic with your DTA top rail. Otherwise get the S in 40moa. I run these and like them, very solid. As your running 338 make sure to use the anti shock gunk on the ring screws/threads so they don't get jarred loose from shock.

AD-RECON-S
http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/586/

Last edited:
I searched, and couldn't find the info. Would someone mind measuring the inside diameter of their srs A1 handguard and tell me what it is? I have a gen 2, and wondering about the ID of the A1 handguard. Thank you in advance

Spuhr is a great mount and I think they have 35 mm call Mile High and inquire

Oops I think this may be false no 35 in Spuhr so sad

Last edited:
Just checking again before I drop coin on one , anybody got a Gen2 new style Covert Fore rail they would like to trade for the full length SRS forend I have on mine ? Black
And why don't our rifles come with the wrench tool to remove the forend when new ???

Morgan, I have a black covert rail I'll trade you. And have the wrench but will need it back.

sent from S5

Be aware fellas, there are two separate kinds of handguards. Some have a locating/locking key in the top pic rail. Others don't. The ones that don't need a special wrench that goes inside the handguard. They are NOT compatible with each other.

Be aware fellas, there are two separate kinds of handguards. Some have a locating/locking key in the top pic rail. Others don't. The ones that don't need a special wrench that goes inside the handguard. They are NOT compatible with each other.

^^^^^
Do yourselves a favor and listen to the man, he will always steer you in the right direction.
Thanks again Greg for the new A1 hanguard!
Sully

Ordered a 300wm bolt and mag from Orkan and couldnt be more pleased. Items showed up faster than expected with a lil extra swag to boot! Thanks again Orkan!!

Jeff

Morgan, I have a black covert rail I'll trade you. And have the wrench but will need it back.

sent from S5

Seatec , I will take a close up pic of my rail tommorrow and post on here and if the same ? Sure thing we can trade and I'll get your wrench back to you ASAP with my rail . Greg from pics I have posted of my rifle on here it looks like there is no "set screw or index " on top of receiver rail ? Can you tell which one takes the wrench by this ?

Greg if it zooms in enough and you can see ? Which one is mine ?
4cb6cea50603e22cf679d0d42fa8d5b6.jpg

This one has a set screw in top rail , mine doesn't ..

b98c51273d35e8472e6ac04a90f1bba2.jpg

Last edited:
Yours is needs the handguard without the top screw key then. This requires a tool from DTA that goes inside the handguard and indexes a quasi-barrel nut type thing. Looks a lot like certain suppressor dis-assembly tools.

^^^^^
Do yourselves a favor and listen to the man, he will always steer you in the right direction.
Thanks again Greg for the new A1 hanguard!
Sully

Ordered a 300wm bolt and mag from Orkan and couldnt be more pleased. Items showed up faster than expected with a lil extra swag to boot! Thanks again Orkan!!

Jeff
Thanks for the kind words fellas! Anytime I can help, just shout!

It will be, so glad to be back here!

Formerly CLPLR on Scout.

I have to ask because it's been bothering me. I went out yesterday to help a buddy with load development since he's a new shooter so I thought I would shoot a couple groups since he had targets out. My groups weren't worth a damn, probably 1 1/2 moa. Is the covert harder to shoot with it being so short? I haven't shot much this winter so I figured I was just a little out of practice but my buddy wanted help with shooting his rifles and shot 1/3-1/2 moa groups with his custom rifle. I've went away from shooting groups for the most part but he only had two dots up as spares so the dot drill wasn't an option without going downrange and it was busy most of the day.

Received my HTI from Primal Rights yesterday.

34" TS Customs barrel chambered in 375CT. Topped with a S&B 3-27x. This rifle is an absolute beast! I put a 260 case in one of the flutes for a frame of reference for the barrel profile. Looking forward to getting this out the range very soon...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/s2.postimg.org\/3wantfwrt\/fullsizeoutput_49.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/s2.postimg.org\/qxwawb2qx\/fullsizeoutput_4a.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/s2.postimg.org\/994k4oqzt\/IMG_1013.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/s2.postimg.org\/p8n7o8n1l\/IMG_1014.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Has anyone had to deal with DT regarding a barrel that doesn't shoot within the 1/2 moa guarantee? I am curious how it turned out for you? I have a new 7mm WSM barrel that won't shoot any better than 1 1/2" or so. Tried multiple loads including some copper creek.

Regards,

Todd

I tried two factory loads, one from Federal and one from Winchester. Neither were match ammo. The copper creek was a match load using 180 Berger's. My other two barrels shoot everything well. This barrel didn't like anything I fed it. The group's with the non-match ammo were 3"+ groups.

I bumped this thread last night, but now it isn't showing. A few minor glitches left, I guess

I have to ask because it's been bothering me. I went out yesterday to help a buddy with load development since he's a new shooter so I thought I would shoot a couple groups since he had targets out. My groups weren't worth a damn, probably 1 1/2 moa. Is the covert harder to shoot with it being so short? I haven't shot much this winter so I figured I was just a little out of practice but my buddy wanted help with shooting his rifles and shot 1/3-1/2 moa groups with his custom rifle. I've went away from shooting groups for the most part but he only had two dots up as spares so the dot drill wasn't an option without going downrange and it was busy most of the day.

First of all good to be back here.

I never noticed any difference between shooting the long SRS setup and the shorter Covert. If you're having group troubles its likely something other than just the rifle. Some seem to think that having the bipod moved back 5 inches makes it less stable but I see guys who have the bipod mounted back at the receiver who are shooting outstanding groups. It could easily be related to your particular hold or possibly loose bipod???? Check everything to make sure its properly tight and have another go. I know it sucks to have to go out and shoot but someone has to do it.

Frank

Received a notification from this thread the other day and thought "that's odd". Came here today and "BAM" we're back!!??!! Guess I'll become an active member of Snipers Hide again if we're here to stay!

bout time!!!! hope everyone else comes back...... this place was stupid busy with traffic and info, in the past.... once it moved that sticky died a fast death along with all pages. and make posting pics easy would be nice too!! going shooting tomrw!!

MACHTECH, the only time I've dealt with DT directly is to buy a chassis from them, and they were nothing but polite and helpful. But claiming a barrel isn't holding 1/2 MOA, and trying to get a new one might be an arduous process. Hopefully not, but this is the first time I've heard of DT barrels shooting larger than a MOA. Hopefully it works out, and keep us updated.
Whats the twist rate and bullet are you using. While it may be match ammo, it might not be ideal for that barrel.

I tried two factory loads, one from Federal and one from Winchester. Neither were match ammo. The copper creek was a match load using 180 Berger's. My other two barrels shoot everything well. This barrel didn't like anything I fed it. The group's with the non-match ammo were 3"+ groups.

Machtech, email [email protected] and see what he suggests, if that doesn't help, he will be the one to take care of you and your barrel.

Thanks for the info guys. Mike at Desert Tech is taking care of the situation. He was very polite and sent a rma# within minutes of hanging up with him. A+ service in my book!

Regards,

Todd

Received my HTI from Primal Rights yesterday.

34" TS Customs barrel chambered in 375CT. Topped with a S&B 3-27x. This rifle is an absolute beast! I put a 260 case in one of the flutes for a frame of reference for the barrel profile. Looking forward to getting this out the range very soon...
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/s2.postimg.org\/3wantfwrt\/fullsizeoutput_49.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/s2.postimg.org\/qxwawb2qx\/fullsizeoutput_4a.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/s2.postimg.org\/994k4oqzt\/IMG_1013.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/s2.postimg.org\/p8n7o8n1l\/IMG_1014.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Lookin good there! Can't wait to see the range reports. If it's like the rest we've built like that, it'll be putting big holes right where you want them in short order. :)

--------------------------
sig1.jpg

Last edited:
In regards to the question of the 1/2 min guarantee - I think they want to you verify first with Desert Tech ammo - at least last time I talked with them about it. Was quite a while back though. Also happy to be back !

Hi all. I'm wanting some help from any Australian Desert Tech owners. I'm seeking a standard bolt face barrel for sale, or perhaps a conversion kit. Any Aussies out there looking to sell? PM me please, I need to organise it for registration purposes.

Sonic Crack , that is one good looking rifle. I really like the camo. And I just made the switch over Is it the same posting pics here or easier ?

Sonic Crack , that is one good looking rifle. I really like the camo. And I just made the switch over Is it the same posting pics here or easier ?

Thank you! I can not speak highly enough of Brandon at CGC. Posting pics is the same for me, I upload to Imgur.com and paste the BB code into my post. Doesnt seem to work right from my phone tho

Hey guys, I am a recent purchaser of a DT SRS A1 and have been noticing that my brass has these pretty deep scratches in it. Any idea of what could be going on? I am guessing mags but I am not quite sure. Thanks.

Hey guys, I am a recent purchaser of a DT SRS A1 and have been noticing that my brass has these pretty deep scratches in it. Any idea of what could be going on? I am guessing mags but I am not quite sure. Thanks.

Your magazines most likely have a sharp edge on the feed lips. A few swipes with some automotive sandpaper should make short work of it.

Reactions: pizfiz
Hey guys- anyone have experience with srs A1 and the 28 nosler? Looking to spin a barrel for a round that will get me past a mile easily. I would rather not go with a wildcat if possible. I've got a 6.5 CM barrel coming my way now that I expect to be my "daily driver" out to 1200 yards, but would like the option to press further to 1 mile or more. Current setup and range allows 2200+ yards, if my round and my skills are up to par.

If not the 28 Nosler, please share your success in other calibers. I've had 300 NM suggested and also heard that traditional 7 mag with the new higher BC bullets might reach further than previously.

Thanks- JTG