• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I am going to be picking up my SRS this week and would appreciate advice from other DT owners on whether the DT barrels need or benefit from a 'break-in' process or if they are ready to rock out of the box. Thanks

I am going to be picking up my SRS this week and would appreciate advice from other DT owners on whether the DT barrels need or benefit from a 'break-in' process or if they are ready to rock out of the box. Thanks

Mine hammered out of the box. Patched it before I ever shot it. Sighted in and did some shooting to check for upper pressure limit on loads, cleaned it and went to shooting after that.

Ditto what Conrad said, you might want to clean it once after the first 20 rounds are so and then you should be good to go for the next 200 - 300 rounds or until accuracy falls off before the next cleaning.

What a great rifle. Went to the range today and with in the first 50 rounds I had several sub 1/2 and a few sub 1/4 groups. I did not get to mount the Ultra 9 but that will happen soon. I was using a SWFA 16x scope. Not the best but it did get the job done. I am using 168 at the time but plane on trying 178 soon.

Took it out of the box put a patch through it and within the first 50 rounds it shot this good.

Going to be doing a fresh load development for a factory dta .260 rem barrel 26" w/ 8.5 twist. Considering the Nosler RDF 140, and Hornady ELD-M 140 and 147. Open to other suggestions, including berger.

Not sure the extra bc of the eld-m 147 is worth the lower mv. This will strictly be for steel out to 1200 yards. Anyone have any experience with these bullets? Got a basic recipe you like that i can use as a rough starting point?

Last edited:
Going to be selling a follower and spacer for the 5 round SA mags. Made out of Delrin and you use your factory SA spring. I or you can custom fit them to about any length cartridge. (30-06 in the pic) I can make a full length follower for the mag. It would probably perform best with a LA mag spring (that I can provide). Working on how the spacer is secured. Cost is going to be $20 for the spacer and follower, I can install them in your mag for $10. $3 shipping [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/oRlPlAw.jpg?1"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/xmCtQNx.jpg?1"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Very cool. Do you think that would help optimize short mags and saums out of the magnum magazine?

Very cool. Do you think that would help optimize short mags and saums out of the magnum magazine?

The problem with WSM/SAUM in the LA mag is, The case can come out of the feed lips of the mag before the bullet nose is into the chamber, causing jams. The SA mags need heavy mods to the feed lips. Some guys get them to work, YMMV.

Hey guys, Does this brass look healthy or a bit overcharged?

DTA SRS A1, TS customs 338lm w/ 10 twist.
New Lapua brass, Berger 300g OTM w/ .015 jump, 215m, Retumbo 91g.

Does anyone know the DTA factory ammo specs? Powder and charge weight?

Attachments

• photo51853.jpg
    photo51853.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 42
Not sure what happened to my account, seems to have disappeared. Or was it never there at all...

Nah, dunno WTF happened. So, I went shooting this past Saturday, and I got this group: (hopefully I can post pictures...)
2rprx3m.jpg

Using Federal 175gr SMK. Three shots at 100 yards. I'm going to be leaving Virginia and moving to Washington, so I won't be doing any more shooting for a few weeks. Trying to find a range out there, but it'll be at least a 90 minute drive, and most aren't taking on new members for the next few months. Oh well.

Hey guys, Does this brass look healthy or a bit overcharged?

DTA SRS A1, TS customs 338lm w/ 10 twist.
New Lapua brass, Berger 300g OTM w/ .015 jump, 215m, Retumbo 91g.

Does anyone know the DTA factory ammo specs? Powder and charge weight?

That is close to my load of 91.4 out of a 28" barrel at 2770 fps. I had the same pressure signs from same exact components. For me not have any mark I would be well below what I expect for velocity. Problem is when I back off to the point I don't have any pressure, I feel like the lack of velocity negates using the 300 grainers. It's been a struggle.

Anyone use an elite iron bipod on the srs? Any pics of one mounted or details on performance?

What magazine pouches are you guys using for spare mags? Specifically the short action 6 rounders. I found that using a double ar15 mag pouch worked for the thinner section of the 10 rounders as long as it has some elastic expansion.

That is close to my load of 91.4 out of a 28" barrel at 2770 fps. I had the same pressure signs from same exact components. For me not have any mark I would be well below what I expect for velocity. Problem is when I back off to the point I don't have any pressure, I feel like the lack of velocity negates using the 300 grainers. It's been a struggle.

After speaking with some extremely knowledgable long range gun fighters, I was told that the brass from my retumbo 93.5g still looked good. I will do another OCW with 92-94.5g of Retumbo and Berg. 300g OTM's this week.
I had a decent node around 88.5-89.2 but the groups really tightened up to @.35 at 100yds when I bumped the powder up to 93.5.
As you stated, I want to optimise the 300's with velocity albeit at the risk of abusing my brass.

Anyone shoot factory dta cheytac rounds. Can i pls purchase one or couple factory 10 rounder plastic case..send me pm

Going to be doing a fresh load development for a factory dta .260 rem barrel 26" w/ 8.5 twist. Considering the Nosler RDF 140, and Hornady ELD-M 140 and 147. Open to other suggestions, including berger.

Not sure the extra bc of the eld-m 147 is worth the lower mv. This will strictly be for steel out to 1200 yards. Anyone have any experience with these bullets? Got a basic recipe you like that i can use as a rough starting point?

I think you may have already seen my post in the bolt-action section but the factory Hornady 147 Eld gave me 7 out of 10 hits at 1 mile. Ballistics apps say that with the muzzle velocity of 2615 or so it went subsonic around 1600 yards. My goal for the 147 Eld will be to obtain 2800 feet per second which will result in supersonic speeds past 1 mile. If your rifle is anything like mine it will love that heavier pill.

Had an amazing day of shooting yesterday with my new Dessert Tech and thought I'd share - i fell in love with this rifle the first time i fired it and am still in the "honeymoon" period.

I took my 3 daughters shooting (ages 11, 8, and 5) - they shot 22lr at 200 yards competing for accuracy against each other but by far their favorite was shooting the Desert Tech at 600 yards. Both the 11 year old and the 8 year old hit 3 for 3 at that distance. They haven't stopped talking about it!

a huge thank you to many who had input into caliber, scope, mount, etc input as the rifle is absolutely perfect for me...

Thought I'd share the videos of them shooting - the smile on their faces is worth every penny spent!

Had an amazing day of shooting yesterday with my new Dessert Tech and thought I'd share - i fell in love with this rifle the first time i fired it and am still in the "honeymoon" period.

I took my 3 daughters shooting (ages 11, 8, and 5) - they shot 22lr at 200 yards competing for accuracy against each other but by far their favorite was shooting the Desert Tech at 600 yards. Both the 11 year old and the 8 year old hit 3 for 3 at that distance. They haven't stopped talking about it!

a huge thank you to many who had input into caliber, scope, mount, etc input as the rifle is absolutely perfect for me...

Thought I'd share the videos of them shooting - the smile on their faces is worth every penny spent!

I think you might need to purchase another DTA for yourself now. Priceless, thanks for sharing.

What magazine pouches are you guys using for spare mags? Specifically the short action 6 rounders. I found that using a double ar15 mag pouch worked for the thinner section of the 10 rounders as long as it has some elastic expansion.

I use the tyr tactical rifle mag pouch double accuracy international 300win. fits 2 short action mags like it was made for them, I also run kydex that I made

Going to be selling a follower and spacer for the 5 round SA mags. Made out of Delrin and you use your factory SA spring. I or you can custom fit them to about any length cartridge. (30-06 in the pic) I can make a full length follower for the mag. It would probably perform best with a LA mag spring (that I can provide). Working on how the spacer is secured. Cost is going to be $20 for the spacer and follower, I can install them in your mag for $10. $3 shipping [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/oRlPlAw.jpg?1"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/xmCtQNx.jpg?1"}[/IMG2]

Mark - do you have a spacer that fits 6mm Dasher? Also - is the follower anti-tilt - which would sure be a nice improvement over the factory mags !

Mark - do you have a spacer that fits 6mm Dasher? Also - is the follower anti-tilt - which would sure be a nice improvement over the factory mags !

The follower/spacer can not really go shorter than the factory size follower because you start getting into the mag spring area. Maybe .100" shorter at the most, Ill take a look in the morning. The followers are the same hight as factory, aprox .600". Not much room for anti tilt legs on the ends without eating up mag capacity.

Dan

Anyone have a barrel extension that they're interested in seliing? I'm looking for the newer version not the set up for pins.

​​​​​Let me know what you've got.

After years of waiting, finally in a position to purchase an SRS with 22” .308 barrel. Looking to go through EuroOptic with Hide discount unless anyone knows a cheaper route.

Also, if I start with the 308, will I need a complete 6.5 creed moor conversion kit or just barrel to switch calibers? Thanks, totally new to long range shooting and excited to start learning!

After years of waiting, finally in a position to purchase an SRS with 22” .308 barrel. Looking to go through EuroOptic with Hide discount unless anyone knows a cheaper route.

Also, if I start with the 308, will I need a complete 6.5 creed moor conversion kit or just barrel to switch calibers? Thanks, totally new to long range shooting and excited to start learning!

Welcome to the club! For a 6.5 creed you will only need the barrel. You can run any caliber that will fit the .308 bolt face with the set up you'll be getting. So 6.5 creed, .260 rem, 6.5x47, etc.

You'll love the 6.5 - finished my first ladder test after 100 rounds yesterday with two groups of .023" and .156", respectively...however, once you go 6.5 you may never go back to .308. :)

Not to change you mind or anything, but if you have the option of starting with the 6.5 you may want to save the cash from the .308 and use it for a long action conversion in the future. Both great calibers, though!

however, once you go 6.5 you may never go back to .308. :)

That is my problem right now.. My DT gets its first outing this month. I went with 6.5 Creed with the intentions of picking up a 16" .308 barrel down the road, but I almost can't justify going back to .308 even with the short barrel length. I am going to have to hate this bullet a lot to go back...

I have a 6.5 and a .308. I use the .308 for shorter range fun and because the barrel life is so much better I don't want to burn out the 6.5 too fast. When I get out to shoot I shoot a lot. Not uncommon for me to burn 100+ rounds in a day on my .308.
However you could always go with the .223 conversion instead for a cheaper round to shoot for fun.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

I have a 6.5 and a .308. I use the .308 for shorter range fun and because the barrel life is so much better I don't want to burn out the 6.5 too fast. When I get out to shoot I shoot a lot. Not uncommon for me to burn 100+ rounds in a day on my .308.
However you could always go with the .223 conversion instead for a cheaper round to shoot for fun.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

Funny - same reason I still have a .308 as well albeit in a remington 700 (my first 100 yard rifle). I shoot my Daniel Defense accurately and consistently to 1000 yards in .223 (75 BTHP) so that rounds out the cost-effective shooting for my family. I'll be picking up a magnum caliber in either 7mm or .300 (really leaning to the 7mm) for the Desert Tech and may end there for the foreseeable future.

Famous last words I guess...

Want to be able to suppress my 6.5 and 308 barrels and looking into purchasing the Delta P Design thread adapter to use with my Ultra 7. Anyone have anything good or bad to offer on the Delta P adapter?
Thanks

Ive run one, never had a problem Add's 1/2 inch to OAL. Never a baffle strike, machined well.

Ive run one, never had a problem Add's 1/2 inch to OAL. Never a baffle strike, machined well.

Thanks netranger for the info however I decided to have my barrel re-threaded, $125 including thread protector and 7 days turn around. Was fortunate enough to find a local smith I felt comfortable with machining on my barrel. Plus I was able to support a local vet owned small business. All is good.

Gave my 6.5LRM conversion a work out the other day. Nice mild load and it's sticking 140 berger hybrids in one fuzzy hole @ 3115fps. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone... but it is 6.5mm bliss in the DT platform, no doubt about it. It's easy to get it up over 3200fps, but the brass suffers pretty bad.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/8oZo79yh.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I got my .308 168s up to 2715 and the brass is worked hard. I dropped to the powder ,Varget, back to 43.7 and still getting 2700. Was running 44.2. But at both weights I still get sub 1/2 groups. The rifle is amazing and with a SS16x I couldn't ask for anything better. I am glade I was able to get. And can't wait until I can get the 6.5.

Gave my 6.5LRM conversion a work out the other day. Nice mild load and it's sticking 140 berger hybrids in one fuzzy hole @ 3115fps. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone... but it is 6.5mm bliss in the DT platform, no doubt about it. It's easy to get it up over 3200fps, but the brass suffers pretty bad.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/8oZo79yh.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Orkan am I seeing things or is there a rail on, or molded into your skins just in front of the trigger?

Everyone needs a conversion like this in their SRS. Give me a call this week and I'll set you up with one!

Here's rounds 10-15 and 15-20 from this barrel. They could have been better, but I was shooting off my bench inside which has a pretty slick formica counter top. ... and it was pouring rain out. :) Still though... it has a lot of potential.
jEHp02Xh.jpg

Orkan to put a rail there would you mount to the skins or would it be possible to go though and attach to the chassis.

You could get it into the chassis.

I personally wouldn't want one there, just because that's where I typically grab the rifle when I'm moving around with it. ... but it could certainly be done quite easily with a mill and the right drills/taps. No doubt you'd need to modify the skins.

Orkan, can I inquire, what are you running for loads/powder/bullet for that .22 Creedmoor? It looks crazy accurate, have you tried several combinations in it to get it to shoot like that or is it really easy to tune in a load like the 6.5 Creedmoor?
What would you anticipate the barrel life might be with that?
Thanks.

We've got a great chamber setup for the 22 creed and TS Customs barrels, so it's very easy to tune for. I didn't even do load dev on this. I just threw 42gr of H4350 behind some berger 80's about 10 thou off the lands to break the barrel in, and it did this. Granted I've got experience with a few prior 22 creeds to draw from... but that's what I like the most about our barrels. They are very forgiving. This kind of performance is typical of TS Customs barrels in most chamberings. Some are better still. My other 22 creed barrel shoots significantly better. That's the main reason I got this barrel, was because the other one shot so good I wanted to save it for coyote slaying rather than burn it up playing around. So this one is for playing around. :)

I'll let you know about barrel life in a couple months. ;)

Thanks Orkan, appreciate you being so open with your load info. I'm really kicking around ordering a .22 Creedmoor for my SRS, but also mulling the SAC .223 conversion kit too? I know the .223 will have much better barrel life, but the kit price is probably quite a bit more then just ordering a .22 Creedmoor barrel.
I take it that you can just use your Redding 6.5 Creedmoor FS bushing die to neck down that brass and it's good to go? Same with seating? I think I read on another site that you may have ordered Whidden dies as well?