• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Is anyone shooting 260 AI in SRS?

Any thoughts on if the new 6.5 PRC cartridge will feed better than the SAUM since it doesn't have a rebated rim?

Im still waiting on my 6.5 blank to be carbon wrapped so I've had more time to think about options before going SAUM since I am tooled up for it already.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that DT will be focusing on a next gen SRS once their MDR comes out.

based on their track record, even if they announce a new product tomorrow, you should have a good 3-5 years before you can buy it. =PPP

so if you want a SRS get one.

based on their track record, even if they announce a new product tomorrow, you should have a good 3-5 years before you can buy it. =PPP

so if you want a SRS get one.

AHAHAHAH! Ain't that the truth! What does Conrad mean by mag flare skins? I'm actually surprised no one has come out with aftermarket handguards for this. I read that the covert/srs handguards are interchangable, is that correct? I haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

Also, I'm interested in using a Surefire brake and suppressor, but the DT threads are not compatible. How much generally is it to re thread a barrel, does it cut down the size or have any adverse effect? Does anyone have any experience with the SRS with Surefire brakes/cans? I'd like to be able to use one suppressor for the SRS and MDR if possible. A proof research carbon barrel would be very compelling to save weight and get the correct threading without having to buy and then alter factory barrels.

What does Conrad mean by mag flare skins? I'm actually surprised no one has come out with aftermarket handguards for this. I read that the covert/srs handguards are interchangable, is that correct? I haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

By skins, I assume he means new plastic skins with the mag well flared out so you don't require a "perfect" shot to line the mag up. I can see that being a true upgrade.
As far as handguards, what more could one want that the Covert or Standard doesn't provide? I can't see there being any profit for companies with the current setup. Changing out hand guards isn't too hard, but you need Desert Tech's tool.

I think DT would of been wise to simply sell the SRS as a Covert with an extension available to thread on for those that run NV or would prefer to run their bipod further out. That would of increased the amount of short barrel setups, and still allowing people to run a "full-sized" forearm if they prefer.

Last edited:
Mag well flares like you see in competition pistols to help guide the mag quickly when not looking. The mag well is a bit skinny on the DT.

i personally think the hand guard is done very well. Not too wide, comfortable and easy to accessorize if you want but otherwise clean. I do like the module idea to make it easier to run covert style if wanted. For most of my shooting I want the longer hand guard but the idea of a short one for a 300 blackout conversion sounds cool to me.

I hope the next gen SRS is compatible with the A1. I wonder what happened with the PRS version of the SRS. I honestly think DT can stick with the A1 for quite a bit of time, technology isnt going to advance that much in the next 10 years in order for the A1 to be completely outdated. The SRS is a bit heavy, but with the adaptation of carbon fiber barrels, that can be brought down to be on par with most precision rifles. Other than materials being used, I dont think the A1 can be completely revised to where the A1 and the next model cant have interchangeable parts. At least I hope not.

Some new skins that are able to be more modular, wouldnt hurt; flare the magwell slightly, and Id like to see an ejection port cover as an add on for those that want it. While the SRS magazine has its problems, the merits keep it balanced, especially for handloaders not using a lot of neck tension, or loading beyond SAAMI spec. But the 10 and 9/8 round mags shouldnt extend past the grip. Im sure theyve explored the possibility of doing double stacked magazines, or at least I hope so. The biggest problem I can see with that is the follower and spring tension. Going from double stack to single stack. Surefire has managed to do it, but theres a lot of added length to incorporate the spring and follower system, which in the SRS mag would be counter productive.

The handguard however needs to stay where its at; with the recent tests from Crane, comparing MLOK and Keymod, MLOK being the better of the two, in strength, both with holding the components and physical strength, the direct thread on the A1 is going to be stronger. Which sure, who here is slamming the gun against a barricade? But Ive had bipods attached to a Keymod handguard, that were properly torqued, come loose while firing an AR15 platform. And yes I know some of you have had rails come loose on the A1, and those polymer rails break as well. That can be fixed with aluminum rails, and loctite.

I think a factory .223 conversion kit would be ideal as well, or at the very least the bolt head, barrel extension, and magazine.

AHAHAHAH! Ain't that the truth! What does Conrad mean by mag flare skins? I'm actually surprised no one has come out with aftermarket handguards for this. I read that the covert/srs handguards are interchangable, is that correct? I haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

Also, I'm interested in using a Surefire brake and suppressor, but the DT threads are not compatible. How much generally is it to re thread a barrel, does it cut down the size or have any adverse effect? Does anyone have any experience with the SRS with Surefire brakes/cans? I'd like to be able to use one suppressor for the SRS and MDR if possible. A proof research carbon barrel would be very compelling to save weight and get the correct threading without having to buy and then alter factory barrels.

I've put surefire's brakes and suppressors on a goodly number of SRS and Covert barrels. The only mod needed normally is turning down enough of the barrel to fit inside the poorly designed brake. I did do one install which included a properly designed brake that didn't require cutting down the barrel and leaving a slot to clear the lock on the suppress. The brake actually has a smaller diameter at the rear that sets the clearance for the suppressor lock and threads directly on to a 3/4-24 thread. I suppose your problem is that you're shooting one of the smaller cals like 308 or 6.5 and I don't think they make a brake with the 3/4" threads for those cals. I'm not too impressed with the surefire system of noisy but ineffective brakes that require modifications to the barrels. I'd go with another suppressor and direct thread, and do for my own DT.

For those who are wondering why no one has done an aftermarket set of skins for the DT the reason is simple. The cost of making a set of molds to injection mold the skins is probably in the $15-30K range. The number of guns out there isn't very high compared to a lot of others. For someone to be able to make any money on aftermarket parts there has to be a market and 5 or 10 thousand guns made isn't a good market size when you have to amortize the tooling to make the parts. You also have to figure that not every owner is going to buy your product so you've got to come up with a number by guessing and decide if you can cover your costs. Once you've done that you can price your parts and then the guys here and elsewhere will groan and bitch about guys trying to rape the customer with high priced parts. That can kill what little market you do have and it becomes a no brainer, don't do it. There are millions of 10/22s, Remmie 700s, Savage 110s but I wonder if DT has hit the 10,000 mark yet.
The handguards for the covert and SRS are interchangeable and you haven't seen them for sale because no one else makes them. Probably for the same reason as the skins above but CNC work is a lot easier to set up and cheaper for short runs. Might be enough of a market there for someone to tool up and go?

Hope that helps some

Frank

If you read through the whole original thread you'll find somewhere in there that they changed the serial number prefix way back though I don't know what number they were up to when they did it. Gen 1 guns started out with serial numbers beginning with DTA. I bought mine in 2010 and the number is DTA0013XX and I think it was in 2013 or 2014 that they changed to SRS 00XXXX serial numbers. For that reason there may be a lot more rifles out there than you think. On the other hand, I don't think they started with DTA00001 so my rifle is more likely to be # three hundred and some rather than thirteen hundred and some. I think they started at DTA001001 and that is a common thing in gun manufacture. Guys who build stuff don't want folks thinking they're being used for crash test dummies and buying the untried, untested first batch of whatever. I don't know what they did when they changed prefixes as I wasn't paying attention to the numbers at that point.
I do have a friend who has a gen 1 with DTA0010XX and another friend with DTA0012XX. Neither of them were machined for the removable feedramp or the monopod where mine had both done. I just put a monopod on the 1200 serial numbered rifle and what a pain that was. Those bozos at DT are using metric threads on everything other than the barrel. Pretty sad for an American company. Both of those earlier rifles have some features and oddities that make me think they're really early production because they are different then mine and subsequent guns I've worked on. Just little details like the fit and finish, the fact that the later skins don't fit right and the hardware is a little different. Nothing bad but just the way things go when you start real production. Things happen and you adapt and overcome with little changes for a bit until you've got a good system. Prototypes and production never seem to be the same.
In any case using serial numbers to determine the number of guns built seems like a great idea but its not always realistic. I never got a straight answer from DT on their numbering but maybe someone else has and can help out with that info.

Hope that all makes some sense......

Frank

Last edited:
What height scope mount do you guys use? I've got a Razor Gen II in a SPUHR ISMS with 1.5" height and 44.4 MOA taper. I realize the MOA might be a bit much too, but I went with it cuz that's what I interpreted to be appropriate from DT. Anyway, I've got the cheek piece all the way to the bottom, and I still feel my eye is a little high. I see now that the DT ones are 2.53" tall. Did I goof? I mean, I know it's all bout how I feel when I look through the scope, but I'm just wondering how other setups compare.

What height scope mount do you guys use? I've got a Razor Gen II in a SPUHR ISMS with 1.5" height and 44.4 MOA taper. I realize the MOA might be a bit much too, but I went with it cuz that's what I interpreted to be appropriate from DT. Anyway, I've got the cheek piece all the way to the bottom, and I still feel my eye is a little high. I see now that the DT ones are 2.53" tall. Did I goof? I mean, I know it's all bout how I feel when I look through the scope, but I'm just wondering how other setups compare.

DT mounts are 2.63 high, but that is above the bore height, not above the pic rail.

I don't think that's too much moa for that scope. When I had my gen 2 razor I had it in a 40 moa mount zero at 100 yards. No problem.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

I don't think that's too much moa for that scope. When I had my gen 2 razor I had it in a 40 moa mount zero at 100 yards. No problem.

Covert is as Covert does.

Plenty of good feedback on the scout site.

I'm not sure if I can't multi quote cuz I have a low post count, or if it's cuz I'm stupid. Anyway, I got 44.4 because of what SPUHR offered, and what I'd read on Desert Techs website. But, some people told me it was too much MOA. my scope just BARELY fits with the sunshade and lens cap, but I had to cut off part of the rubber around the cap. It's super close.

I just worry because I realize I cannot raise my cheek at all, and I feel like I'm needing to pull my face down a lot, and it's hard to get really comfortable. Kinda sucks cuz of the cost of the SPUHR, so I'd hate to get a different one. But maybe it's all in my head. I'm going to be getting a GAP 10 soon, and I intend on putting the same scope and mount on it, but since that's also a flat top rifle, I worried I'd be better off with a taller mount.

You have the same mount as I do, I have my cheek piece on the 3rd notch up (dont quote me on that, Im nowhere near my rifle right now), and I still roll my cheek on to the cheek rest, and I have perfect sight alignment. Of course, everyone is different especially with facial features, but you shouldnt be that low to the point where its hard to maintain sight alignment.

That's what I was thinking; I can't be THAT low. I haven't gotten to go shooting in like 6 weeks; just moved. But I'll go our again before I jump to conclusions that I need to get another mount. Thanks.

Hey all, I'm fairly new to the SRS platform (loving it so far) and just got a .300 win mag barrel spun up by Fireguyty (great guy to deal with by the way) a few months back. What factory ammo have you guys had the best of luck with so far? Was hoping to take several different choices out to the range to see what the set up likes.

Anyone running a .243 AI in the desert tech? I have a lot of components for a .243 and thought about having a barrel spun up.

Hey all, I'm fairly new to the SRS platform (loving it so far) and just got a .300 win mag barrel spun up by Fireguyty (great guy to deal with by the way) a few months back. What factory ammo have you guys had the best of luck with so far? Was hoping to take several different choices out to the range to see what the set up likes.

Does he have a web site?

I'm sure Ty will get with you soon enough with his contact info. Currently have two barrels built by him that are absolute hammers and just ordered another from him on Friday. He is a great guy to deal with and I would definitely recommend him. There is a DTA Facebook page that you could find him on if you want to be more proactive in reaching out to him.

I would like to get in touch with him. I shoot a lot of 308 and now I would like to try 6.5.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. You can get a hold of me at [email protected]

I have been getting blanks in and selling them as soon as they arrive. I currently have 2, 30 cal 9 twist Hawk Hills that we have had amazing success in 300 Norma and 300 WM with. I also have 2 Bartlien 6mm 7.5 twist that could easily be my current favorite caliber, 6 XC.

I have 26 blanks from Hawk Hill in different calibers enroute shortly, and Benchmarks quicker than that.

I'm a little late, but I'll second, third, fourth, whatever, the recommendations for Ty. I've ordered two barrels from him and they've both been excellent. I've also just texted him with random questions and he's always taken the time to answer all my questions. You can't go wrong with Ty.

I also have two barrels from Ty, great guy to deal with and both shoot lights out. If you bought 3 barrels from Ty, the 3rd one is basically free compared to what others charge for the exact same service.

Anyone running a .243 AI in the desert tech? I have a lot of components for a .243 and thought about having a barrel spun up.

There are lots of good choices in the 243/6mm range. All depends what you want to do with it.

DTA gives you the long action option, so something like a 6-284 if your a speed freak.
If you want accuracy, then look to what the F-class guys are running, like a 6 dasher, 6xc etc.....

There is nothing wrong with the 243 ai, but if you're going to have a barrel spun up, consider all the options.

There are lots of good choices in the 243/6mm range. All depends what you want to do with it.

DTA gives you the long action option, so something like a 6-284 if your a speed freak.
If you want accuracy, then look to what the F-class guys are running, like a 6 dasher, 6xc etc.....

There is nothing wrong with the 243 ai, but if you're going to have a barrel spun up, consider all the options.

It's funny you mention the 6x284 because that was my initial thought but I have probably 400 pieces of new and once fired 243 brass. I was just thinking that would save some money.

It's funny you mention the 6x284 because that was my initial thought but I have probably 400 pieces of new and once fired 243 brass. I was just thinking that would save some money.

Saving money went out the door the minute you bought a Desert Tech.

Saving money went out the door the minute you bought a Desert Tech.

Lol you might have a valid point. My thinking on this is that I can have another caliber by just adding a barrel rather than having to buy an action, stock and another piece of glass. It would have saved me several rifles if I would have just bought one 4 or 5 years ago when I was getting into the high end rifles.

6 Dasher won't work in the DT. It doesn't eject properly all the time. Ty has been running a 6XC, though. I think he said he's on his third XC barrel and that it runs perfectly.

but I have probably 400 pieces of new and once fired 243 brass. I was just thinking that would save some money.

just cuz your holding a hammer doesn't mean the world is made of nails.

and 400 pc of 243 brass is probably 2-4 barrel life's of reloading.

just cuz your holding a hammer doesn't mean the world is made of nails.

and 400 pc of 243 brass is probably 2-4 barrel life's of reloading.

The round will do what I want it to do so if it feeds fine then that's what I will have a barrel chambered in.

What's the torque value of the wrenches from DT? I thought it was 70 ft/lbs for the SRS, but now on the site it looks like it's 80 for the SRS and HTI. I ask cuz I might be getting an HTI later this year, and the site selling it said that the SRS' torque wrench won't work on the HTI.

Also, any recommendation on wrenches other than the DT ones? I mean, I imagine that can't be the only option.

What's the torque value of the wrenches from DT? I thought it was 70 ft/lbs for the SRS, but now on the site it looks like it's 80 for the SRS and HTI. I ask cuz I might be getting an HTI later this year, and the site selling it said that the SRS' torque wrench won't work on the HTI.

Also, any recommendation on wrenches other than the DT ones? I mean, I imagine that can't be the only option.

The manual for my current-generation SRS says 80 ft-lbs. I suspect the 1st gen SRS was 70 ft-lbs but they upped it in the later gen ones so it'd be the same as the HTI.

I bought the DT Field Kit with the Fix it Stix wrenches. It's great having all the bits and such in one little pack, for the same price as the DT wrench, but the DT wrench looks like it'd be more comfortable in the hand. The Fix It Stix also took some getting used to, since they don't 'click' but rather slip when they get to their torque limit.

The manual for my current-generation SRS says 80 ft-lbs. I suspect the 1st gen SRS was 70 ft-lbs but they upped it in the later gen ones so it'd be the same as the HTI.

I bought the DT Field Kit with the Fix it Stix wrenches. It's great having all the bits and such in one little pack, for the same price as the DT wrench, but the DT wrench looks like it'd be more comfortable in the hand. The Fix It Stix also took some getting used to, since they don't 'click' but rather slip when they get to their torque limit.

Inch pounds not foot lbs

I dont think 243AI is going to fit in the SA mag very well, if at all. The 40 degree shoulder will prevent the rounds from going in the mag. You would need to remove the spacer in the SA mag for it to work. I can help with that if your interested. Safe bet would be to go with a 243 improved 30 degree, 6 SLR, ect. You would not need to mod the SA mag then.

I also have two barrels from Ty, great guy to deal with and both shoot lights out. If you bought 3 barrels from Ty, the 3rd one is basically free compared to what others charge for the exact same service.
I can say the same about barrels from TY, i have a 22.5'' 6.5saum , 24'' 7rem , and a 28'' 300win from him. Thanks TY

Joined the DT club with an SRS and the factory .308 as well as a 6.5 CM barrel from Ty. Ty is a great guy to deal with - I'm looking forward to trying both of these barrels.

Any DT guys running an AAC Titan-QD? Thinking about picking one up for use on 338 LM /6.5, but am slightly concerned about past comments that AAC's QD system doesn't lock up properly.

Does anyone hanppen to have load data for a SRS a-1 with factory DT 26" barrel???

Ive tried the 140 BERGER Hybrids at about every seating depth you can imagine and can't find one it likes.

It will always shoot three out of 5 great but will throw the other two along the way.

Load was 42.5gr H4350 2815fps Lapua brass,cci primers, 140 BERGER Hybrids.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thinking of going with 139 Lapua since they seem to be less seating depth sensitive .

Does anyone hanppen to have load data for a SRS a-1 with factory DT 26" barrel???

Ive tried the 140 BERGER Hybrids at about every seating depth you can imagine and can't find one it likes.

It will always shoot three out of 5 great but will throw the other two along the way.

Load was 42.5gr H4350 2815fps Lapua brass,cci primers, 140 BERGER Hybrids.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thinking of going with 139 Lapua since they seem to be less seating depth sensitive .

Myself and many others have found the Bergers to be very picky, that is why I shoot Barnes match burners. I shoot them just a hair over 2900 with 43.0 Gr of H4350. Sub .5 MOA all day, I have also heard great things about the 139 Scenar.

I see people mention Lapua brass, but don't mention which caliber, which brings up a question:
Has anyone used the new-ish Lapua brass in 6.5 Creedmoor (with the small primer) in the SRS A1?
In general (not DTA-specific) there are some that talk about needing a smaller firing pin, or bushing, or somesuch, others say not. What's the verdict? Is it reliable in the SRS?
-- I'm guessing it's fine since one factory SRS choice is 6.5 x 47 Lapua, which I believe has always had a small primer... but I'm interested in real-world data for 6.5 Creed.

I think Greg has said the SRS is good to go for small primer cartridges due to correct design and good track record with the x47's. Not to mention the 223 conversion seems to be running just fine.

IMG_0697.JPG
I'm curious, do all A1 models have the DT logo on the cheek riser?