• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Hey guys, I'm looking for guidance on a reasonably priced muzzle break options for the 300 win mag on my SRS. I thought I would be shooting it suppressed majority of the time with my Omega. But I'd like to look at other options.

Hey guys, I'm looking for guidance on a reasonably priced muzzle break options for the 300 win mag on my SRS. I thought I would be shooting it suppressed majority of the time with my Omega. But I'd like to look at other options.

The APA brakes mentioned are very nice and would be a great choice for a 300WM. I've got a new Crux suppressor brake I don't need so if you have an interest let me know, pm. On my 300Wm 26" barrel I'm running a thunderbeast suppressor brake which also works very well recoil wise but all of them are really loud to those that might be around you.

APA Fat Bastard is highly effective on my 338 NM. That said, I've really been eyeying the Area419 brake and suppressor adapter system, but I'm not sure I can justify it given my large investment in thunderbeast adapters. If I were to shoot unsuppressed it'd be in a match where the brake is plenty good on a small 6mm cartridge. If I were to shoot the local F-class match more often then the system would have more merit because I wouldn't have to worry about taking the loctite'd thunderbeast brake off. Jon is not sure if he will be able to make an adapter to span both the 338 Ultra and the other smaller ultras, but that would offer a lot of utility.

308, but thats me. The 300blk would also be a good choice.

From the previous responses to subsonic loads, the DT stock barrel isn't designed for subsonics due to the barrel twist, correct? Just wanted to make sure I understood that properly. I'm looking at getting the 338 26" and 308 shorty. But not necessarily too worried about subsonics, would be nice to have the option though.

Last edited:
From the previous responses to subsonic loads, the DT stock barrel isn't designed for subsonics due to the barrel twist, correct? Just wanted to make sure I understood that properly. I'm looking at getting the 338 26" and 308 shorty. But not necessarily too worried about subsonics, would be nice to have the option though.

The 16" covert barrel is an 8 twist, so it works very well for subsonics. The longer barrels are 11 twist, not ideal, but can work.

Hey that looks amazing! I'll be interested in one for sure. About to put my first order into DT.

1 question. Would an 18" 338 barrel get me out to 2km? Or would I need the 26" barrel? Would a can help much?

​​​​​​I'm also thinking about getting a carbon barrel from Proof research. Anyone have any experience with one? Is the recoil and target re acquisition any different with the lighter barrel weight?

Hey that looks amazing! I'll be interested in one for sure. About to put my first order into DT.

1 question. Would an 18" 338 barrel get me out to 2km? Or would I need the 26" barrel? Would a can help much?

​​​​​​I'm also thinking about getting a carbon barrel from Proof research. Anyone have any experience with one? Is the recoil and target re acquisition any different with the lighter barrel weight?

you can do 2k with an 18, but more realistic would be 1500. So you may want to go 26. If you want a carbon barrel, talk to PRDRIVER here on the hide, he is a dealer and stocks Proof DT barrels, (I wanna say he has a 338 in stock now).

Unless you've shot a lot of 338 LM before I would not go with a light or short barrel. It is very difficult to shoot a 338 well and more difficult the lighter it is.

Unless you have shot shot past a mile a lot, I would not get a LR caliber with a short barrel. You want/need every fps you can get for those ranges and you will lose 150-200 fps or more with an 18" barrel.

Invrease velocity with can is negligible for practical matters

I would get in contact with Fire Guy Ty here on the hide. He certainly makes a hell of a 6.5 barrel. I have plenty of targets like this:

WP_20170922_004.jpg

Oh, and also America bitches.

WP_20170911_005.jpg

I've got a srs a-1 gen 2. Love the gun but my forearm has gotten very loose. Looks like I need some kinda tool to go inside chassis to tighten it. Looks like a 6 prong spindle nut socket to me. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

I've got a srs a-1 gen 2. Love the gun but my forearm has gotten very loose. Looks like I need some kinda tool to go inside chassis to tighten it. Looks like a 6 prong spindle nut socket to me. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

Contact Desert Tech and they will get you taken care of as it requires a proprietary tool. I'm curious how it could of come loose without a noticeable gap forming considering a pin keeps it from spinning.

I emailed them, haven't heard anything yet. Going to call them Monday. Maybe the pin came out, I haven't messed with it or anything. Thanks again

Did any of the a1 rails thread on like the gen 1 and 2?

right now I have a gen 1 rail on my gen 2 but I'd like an a1 if only for the rrs tripod adapter.

Okay, another question. I was looking at getting the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 and need a mount; I'm looking at Spur. I'm use to my Ruger RPR having a 20 moa scope base. What does the SRS Covert have and what mil/moa Spur would I need for shooting 2km with 338 lapua? Would I be okay using that same mount when switching to a 16" 308 or 6.5 caliber or would my mount be to high?

I'm not used to bullpups, with the cantilever mount be better or worse?

Last edited:
The rail doesn't have any cant to it on the Desert Tech. With the gen 2 razor I would run the Spuhr 1.5" tall mount with 44 moa of cant, that should work out good for what you want.

The rail doesn't have any cant to it on the Desert Tech. With the gen 2 razor I would run the Spuhr 1.5" tall mount with 44 moa of cant, that should work out good for what you want.

Agree with this. No point really in putting less than 40 MOA on a scope with a lot of travel. That particular scope Sericus referenced I installed for a buddy in a ARC one piece. It might have been 30 MOA. Personally I think the Spuhr and the ARC tapered one piece mounts are the best there is for a DT scope mount right now.

I agree with SOAs comment on Spuhr and ARC. I personally like the ARC mount the best.

Also agree 1.5" high 44moa spuhr or 1.5" high 30 moa ARC. I use both they are equally good. I guess it just depends on if you want to attach any rails to the mount. I had my Razor 2 in an ARC mount, and now have my NF 7-35 in a spuhr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, another question. I was looking at getting the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 and need a mount; I'm looking at Spur. I'm use to my Ruger RPR having a 20 moa scope base. What does the SRS Covert have and what mil/moa Spur would I need for shooting 2km with 338 lapua? Would I be okay using that same mount when switching to a 16" 308 or 6.5 caliber or would my mount be to high?

I'm not used to bullpups, with the cantilever mount be better or worse?

FYI - I need 24 mils to get to a mile using smk300, 90g Retumbo with a 26" barrel and 22 mils using a 300g Berger OTM with 90g Retumbo.
I am using a Us Optics 3.8-22 power and a DTA 30moa mount. The scope has 22mils of total elevation.
When I switch from the 338lm to the 308wm I cannot zero at a hundred, I have to hold 1 mil high as my zero.

Last edited:
This thread has really slowed down, I suspect its because of the Facebook group of Desert Tech shooters that has about 1500 DT owners and has multiple posts daily. I have found some really good information on there and just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

I'm not a Facebook fan, I'd prefer to maintain the discussions here on the Hide, but that's not happening and I wanted to try and identify why. Facebook sucks, but the DT owners group page on Facebook doesn't....

... because people are douchebags and will happily support and use a platform which is completely and totally anti-gun.

They'd rather be trendy and lazy than righteous. Really, it's the same reason people wear flat brim hats and dress like clowns.

That FB page is amateur hour, the dealers on there are the only my reason I'm on it. Majority of the guys on there are kind of people that buy novelty firearm accessories thinking it's going to make them better shooters.

Is that so...?

I'm happy to be part of the amateurs that buy high quality, because I understand that shooting a shitty rifle that has 1.5moa accuracy isn't helping me improve as a precision rifle enthusiast.

Buying novelty firearm accessories and high quality ones to boot, does make amateurs better!

Facebook = anti gun. I hate that people continue to support them by participating on that site. That's where it ends for me.

The company that made the computer your currently bitching on is anti-gun! So is the cell phone company and your cable company... It's the world we live in.

The company that made the computer your currently bitching on is anti-gun! It's the world we live in.

No... actually, not at all.
I built my computer. Always have. The parts were made by foreign entities that could care less about American politics as long as it doesn't interfere with importation. Even if what you say were true, it still wouldn't be adequate justification. Granted I'm running windows on this machine, and billy gates is surely not pro-gun... yet that is still not the same as facebook. Social media that routinely bans gun related channels, as opposed to an operating system... the ONLY mainstream operating system upon which business gets done.

Facebook is social media. It's not required. For ANYTHING. I don't have an account. Lots of people don't have an account. We aren't missing anything. So yes, I believe some gun owners and gun companies are short sighted. The motivation is clearly financial. Yet I wonder how many realize the control you're giving facebook. All of that data and metadata. MOUNTAINS of it, on all of you gun owners that use their service. Giving it up freely, to a company that hates you.

Then there is the fact that you're ceding all control. People use it as your primary mode of mass communication... and one day they pull the plug. You come running back to forums like this one, only to find it a shell of its former self due to lack of users. All that power in the hands of our enemies, and gun owners the world over happily give it to them.

Imperfect indeed.

Don't do FB and damn sure won't vote for its founder - for ANYTHING...

When I switch from the 338lm to the 308wm I cannot zero at a hundred, I have to hold 1 mil high as my zero.

I guess there is no way around this? Having the long range of 338 is going to limit how zero 308 at 100. If I got the 20.6 moa Spur mount, I wouldn't have the proper height for 2km with the 338, but then I would be able to zero a 308 at 100?

I was doing (or trying to) some math with some ballistic calculators. For a 338 250gr round to get out to 2km, the calculator stated I needed 33.36 mils elevation. The Vortex HD Gen 2 has 28.5 mils max elevation. Wouldn't I only need to get a a mount that adds the extra 5 mils? Would the 40moa be overkill and the 6mil/20moa Spur work in this case?

Last edited:
Sericus, no the cant in the mount only "frees up" the internal elevation. The Razor HD G2 actually has 33 mRads internally; rule of thumb to get the most usable elevation is to use a mount with half of the internal elevation. In this case, 15 mRads would work best, leaving you with about 2-3 mRads of internal elevation. Even if you get a 40 MOA mount youre still only going to get a max of 28.5 mRads from the turrets.

Tahoe333, youre going to need an optic with more internal travel if youre going to want a proper zero for both calibers.

rule of thumb to get the most usable elevation is to use a mount with half of the internal elevation. In this case, 15 mRads would work best, leaving you with about 2-3 mRads of internal elevation. Even if you get a 40 MOA mount youre still only going to get a max of 28.5 mRads from the turrets.

Thanks for this clarification. In that case everyone was right by going with the 44moa, which is not quite half the internal elevation. So would I have the issue Tahoe333 is having when switching to 308 and rezeroing? Or am I g2g with that the Razor Gen 2/Spur 44moa with multiple calibers, barrel lengths?

Yes you should be fine with the 44 MOA mount and the Razor HD G2 for all calibers. Plenty of people here have the same setup, myself included.

Hi all,
I bought a new brake for my SRS A1 338 LM. I attempted to remove the stock brake so I could install the new one but it was super tight and did not budge. Is the stock brake loctited? Anyone who has removed the stock brake could give me some instructions? Thx a bunch.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I bought a new brake for my SRS A1 338 LM. I attempted to remove the stock brake so I could install the new one but it was super tight and did not budge. Is the stock brake loctited? Anyone who has removed the stock brake could give me some instructions? Thx a bunch.

Yes is it thread locked, barrel vise, and a small amount of heat via torch will get it off.

I am putting an SRS A1 on a diet for hunting purposes. If I were to remove the rear monopod in an effort to trim weight, would the gen 1 skins fit the chassis to avoid having a hole in the bottom of the stock?

The monopod is sweet when I need it, but I am prioritizing a weight reduction over convenience.

I am putting an SRS A1 on a diet for hunting purposes. If I were to remove the rear monopod in an effort to trim weight, would the gen 1 skins fit the chassis to avoid having a hole in the bottom of the stock?

The monopod is sweet when I need it, but I am prioritizing a weight reduction over convenience.

When they were selling them with the monopod as an option the non monopod rifles came with a black plastic blank in place of the pod. I have one somewhere, unfortunately I'm in the middle of moving otherwise I'd give it to you.